or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)

Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite) - Page 2

post #41 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Hence the dual-flush toilets that you can upgrade to with a DIY kit. Small flush for small things, large flush for your huge gnarly dumps.

Is it necessary for you to be crude or is it simply that you like doing so?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #42 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

George W. Bush's...yet his policies as president were as anti-environment as its possible to be.

In what specific ways?

post #43 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm just explaining that when you need to flush a brown python, the dual flush machine allows to use a stronger flush. Save the smaller flushes for your warm urine or a few chicken nuggets.

And did you grow up in a bubble or something? If you think the above is crude, lighten up a bit. Anyway, off to drop the kids off in the pool and head to work. Be nice and keep things on topic.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #44 of 155
Quote:

I'm just explaining that when you need to flush a brown python, the dual flush machine allows to use a stronger flush. Save the smaller flushes for your warm urine or a few chicken nuggets.

So the answer is yes.

Quote:

And did you grow up in a bubble or something? If you think the above is crude, lighten up a bit.

Just trying to elevate the level of discussion above junior high school.

post #45 of 155
Quote:

This is your first time on the internet.

Welcome!

www.google.com (to find things)
www.wikipedia.org (interesting articles on just about everything)
www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com (cats that look JUST like Hitler!)
www.goat.se (Sarah Palin's online diary ('blog'))
post #46 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

This is your first time on the internet.

Welcome!

www.google.com (to find things)
www.wikipedia.org (interesting articles on just about everything)
www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com (cats that look JUST like Hitler!)
www.goat.se (Sarah Palin's online diary ('blog'))

Thanks sweetie.

post #47 of 155
Quote:

In what specific ways?

Here's an example from the get go :

http://www.issues2000.org/George_W__...nvironment.htm

And

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...856829,00.html

And

http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #48 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Here's an example from the get go :

http://www.issues2000.org/George_W__...nvironment.htm

Quote:
Bushs position papers contain no mention of clean water

Quote:
Supports more flexibility in cleanup regulations; supports liability protection for re-developers

\

But really...since he was actually President for 8 years and this is a link merely to hist positions during the 2000 election...I thought maybe someone could come up with things he actually did do or allowed to happen even though he had the power to stop it.

post #49 of 155
Quote:

\

But really...since he was actually President for 8 years and this is a link merely to hist positions during the 2000 election...I thought maybe someone could come up with things he actually did do or allowed to happen even though he had the power to stop it.

What about the other two links?
post #50 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What about the other two links?

You must have added those after I replied. I'll check them out later. Do they actually refer to thing he did?

post #51 of 155
Quote:

Since this thread is all about environmentalism, and hypocrisy, I had to throw this old canard out there: It's old news, but for those who haven't seen this, have a look at this, when it comes to hypocrisy re. environmentalism:

Ain't it weird that Al Gore's mega-mansion in Nashville is an extreme example of energy-wastage, yet its owner is known for his "stance on protecting the environment" (?!!)...... and just as strange that George W. Bush's ranch in Texas is the model of sound environmentally-conscious planning/design, yet his policies as president were as anti-environment as its possible to be.

Which form of hypocrisy is worse?... it's hard to gauge.

Well, I am not sure what point you are making here. It is hypocritical for sure to talk about how one needs to reduce ones carbon footprint, and to be greener, and to actually make that ones life platform and then do with your home as Al Gore has.

But is it actually hypocritical to have policies that you see as anti-environment and yet have your home be green? How so? Forget about the man himself, where is the hypocrisy? "How dare you have a home that saves energy and reuses water, you hypocrite?" Did he declare those that use such things were bad people? Did he try to make it illegal? Truly not sure what you are seeing as the hypocrisy here?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #52 of 155
California adopts first statewide green building code

Quote:
California's building commission adopted the first statewide green building code this week. Environmental groups welcomed the new standards, which mandate water use reductions and waste recycling in new buildings, but were critical of its rating system.

Taking effect January 2011, the nation's first mandatory green building code dubbed CalGreen lays out specific constraints for newly constructed buildings. It requires builders to install plumbing that cuts indoor water use by as much as 20 percent, to divert 50 percent of construction waste from landfills to recycling, and to use low-pollutant paints, carpets, and floors. It also mandates inspection of energy systems to ensure that heaters, air conditioners, and other mechanical equipment are working efficiently. And for non-residential buildings, it requires the installation of water meters for different uses.

The code also allows local jurisdictions, from San Francisco to Los Angeles, to retain stricter green building standards, if they already exist, or to adopt stricter versions of the state code if they choose. It's the first state in the nation to mandate a green building code.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #53 of 155
Quote:

Ain't it weird that Al Gore's mega-mansion in Nashville is an extreme example of energy-wastage, yet its owner is known for his "stance on protecting the environment" (?!!)...... and just as strange that George W. Bush's ranch in Texas is the model of sound environmentally-conscious planning/design...

Liberals talk, Conservatives do. Don't blame the messenger.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #54 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Well, I am not sure what point you are making here. It is hypocritical for sure to talk about how one needs to reduce ones carbon footprint, and to be greener, and to actually make that ones life platform and then do with your home as Al Gore has.

But is it actually hypocritical to have policies that you see as anti-environment and yet have your home be green? How so? Forget about the man himself, where is the hypocrisy? "How dare you have a home that saves energy and reuses water, you hypocrite?" Did he declare those that use such things were bad people? Did he try to make it illegal? Truly not sure what you are seeing as the hypocrisy here?

Is there anything other than right wing propaganda to support the claim about Al Gore's home?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #55 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Is there anything other than right wing propaganda to support the claim about Al Gore's home?

The actual numbers about use relative to the average family are propaganda now?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #56 of 155
Quote:

Is there anything but hot air to support your claim of owning a business?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #57 of 155
Quote:

The people who run Snopes are right wing propagandists?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #58 of 155
Quote:

Is there anything but hot air to support your claim of owning a business?

post #59 of 155
I'm now renting a room in a big old house in Edinburgh with huge big rooms, windows and 15 foot ceilings. The landlady lives here too, but she's only back for a weekend once a month. That leaves me with the bulk of the bills. Having spent several thousand pounds on new frames and prints for my artwork, I'm pretty much broke and really don't want to be held up with big electric and heating bills. So here's how far I've gone to save money, which granted is good for the environment too.

Washing up with cold water non fatty things ( this I actually enjoy mostly because when I lived in a hut for a couple months recently I just had a pipe with cold water and a dyke as a drying tray and I really enjoyed it!)

My downstairs neighbours heat comes up through the floor enough to take the chill out of the living room and dining room. So long as I keep the doors closed and the shutters drawn, a blanket in the evenings saves me from turning on any heat.

There are numerous lights here with 8 x 100w bulbs. Having them on burns 800 friggin watts! I don't use them. Whilst the landlady's away I've replaced all the other lights around the house, that I use, that had 60-100w conventional bulbs with 7w flourescent bulbs for just 49 pence ($0.75) for two. The light from them is actually warm and nice, unlike one's I had used in the US.

I drive as little possible. Walk as often as possible and put washes on either 1 hr or 0.5 hrs depending on items. I dry all my clothes on a clothes rack. I'm using my big surround sound only to listen to music (used to have it hooked up to computer and for radio 4, ie talk radio).

Have to say though these are all things I'm doing to save money and wouldn't have done them otherwise, at least not to the same degree. The fact is a lovely warm house is inviting and if I thought I could afford to live more comfortabley I would. I enjoy the challenge though.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #60 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I'm now renting a room in a big old house in Edinburgh with huge big rooms, windows and 15 foot ceilings. The landlady lives here too, but she's only back for a weekend once a month. That leaves me with the bulk of the bills. Having spent several thousand pounds on new frames and prints for my artwork, I'm pretty much broke and really don't want to be held up with big electric and heating bills. So here's how far I've gone to save money, which granted is good for the environment too.

Washing up with cold water non fatty things ( this I actually enjoy mostly because when I lived in a hut for a couple months recently I just had a pipe with cold water and a dyke as a drying tray and I really enjoyed it!)

My downstairs neighbours heat comes up through the floor enough to take the chill out of the living room and dining room. So long as I keep the doors closed and the shutters drawn, a blanket in the evenings saves me from turning on any heat.

There are numerous lights here with 8 x 100w bulbs. Having them on burns 800 friggin watts! I don't use them. Whilst the landlady's away I've replaced all the other lights around the house, that I use, that had 60-100w conventional bulbs with 7w flourescent bulbs for just 49 pence ($0.75) for two. The light from them is actually warm and nice, unlike one's I had used in the US.

I drive as little possible. Walk as often as possible and put washes on either 1 hr or 0.5 hrs depending on items. I dry all my clothes on a clothes rack. I'm using my big surround sound only to listen to music (used to have it hooked up to computer and for radio 4, ie talk radio).

Have to say though these are all things I'm doing to save money and wouldn't have done them otherwise, at least not to the same degree. The fact is a lovely warm house is inviting and if I thought I could afford to live more comfortabley I would. I enjoy the challenge though.

[sarcasm]What? You aren't doing these things to save the planet?

Why would we believe you are doing these things if it is not to reduce your carbon footprint?[/sarcasm]

Exactly the reason I have used for why I do the "green" thing at home. It saves me money and sometimes it is actually more fun (read geekier or just cooler) than the non-green actions.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #61 of 155
Quote:

[sarcasm]What? You aren't doing these things to save the planet?

Why would we believe you are doing these things if it is not to reduce your carbon footprint?[/sarcasm]

Exactly the reason I have used for why I do the "green" thing at home. It saves me money and sometimes it is actually more fun (read geekier or just cooler) than the non-green actions.

It can be fun, satisfying anyway, to know I won't be clobbered with huge bills. A bit like a smoker or alcoholic; I got through another day, frugally. Ideally though I'd go Wormholes route and have a few wind turbines and electric cars...if only!

I've always hated waste and tend to buy things that are meant to last and don't replace them unless I really need to. I think nowdays that thinking is much less common than how my parents and their parents lived (though there's a sort of revival going on), but at least more people are looking to buy more effecient appliances etc. Even some of the big tv's use less power than the crt's that they've replaced.

Glad to see you back NoahJ.
post #62 of 155
Tip: Having spaghetti? Boil the water up in the kettle that you need and then pour the water into the pan.
post #63 of 155
Aid money to build solar panels and wind turbines in Africa

Quote:
The British tax payer is to invest millions of pounds into solar panels and wind turbines in Africa and Asia as part of a new drive to help poor countries by developing green business.
post #64 of 155
Need a computer? Buy a Mac.

http://www.apple.com/environment/

Power consumption at idle:

MacBook Air 11": 8 watts

MacMini: 10 watts

iMac 21.5": 95 watts

Other computer manufacturers don't even come close to achieving this combination of computing power and energy efficiency in their products.

post #65 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Aid money to build solar panels and wind turbines in Africa

Quote:
The British tax payer is to invest millions of pounds into solar panels and wind turbines in Africa and Asia as part of a new drive to help poor countries by developing green business.

Third world countries don't need "green business" they need capital accumulation/growth. Of course we're giving capital destruction a try to see if it will lead to greater wealth and prosperity.

post #66 of 155
Quote:

Third world countries don't need "green business" they need capital accumulation/growth. Of course we're giving capital destruction a try to see if it will lead to greater wealth and prosperity.

I've never understood the hypocrisy, there.

Let's deny the developing world access to their own resources they might use to lift themselves out of poverty and insist they instead use so-called "green" technologies which are nowhere near as efficient and much more expensive. Meanwhile they continue to cook over fires, use candles for light, and have limited access to basic conveniences and services we take for granted.

It's like Al Gore telling us about the harmful effects of passenger jet exhaust and pleading with us to avoid air travel as much as possible...shortly before hopping in his motorcade to the airport to get in his private jet to fly off into the sunset to continue "saving the world".

post #67 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I've never understood the hypocrisy, there.

Let's deny the developing world access to their own resources they might use to lift themselves out of poverty and insist they instead use so-called "green" technologies which are nowhere near as efficient and much more expensive. Meanwhile they continue to cook over fires, use candles for light, and have limited access to basic conveniences and services we take for granted.

It's like Al Gore telling us about the harmful effects of passenger jet exhaust and pleading with us to avoid air travel as much as possible...shortly before hopping in his motorcade to the airport to get in his private jet to fly off into the sunset to continue "saving the world".

Of course sunshine and wind are not a resources.
Only stuff that is buried under 1 mile of rock can be a resource.
Of course building a nuclear powerplant including transmission lines and infrastructure in i.e. Congo is a lot easier than putting up a couple of solar panels on a straw hut. It also is sooooo much better on their environment and those power lines look great.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #68 of 155
Quote:

Of course sunshine and wind are not a resources.
Only stuff that is buried under 1 mile of rock can be a resource.
Of course building a nuclear powerplant including transmission lines and infrastructure in i.e. Congo is a lot easier than putting up a couple of solar panels on a straw hut. It also is sooooo much better on their environment and those power lines look great.

Based on your sense of aesthetics, I'm sure you'll inform all of us when you are living in a hut with a couple solar panels and have demanded to be off the grid.

Hilarious how Democrats always want mass solutions until it comes to the third world. Likewise they excuse the rich from the mass solutions.

You want to get somewhere. Take a private jet or an ox and cart. However don't you dare demand infrastructure for the regular folks. Also don't complain when Democrats steal the "shovel ready" money to buy votes or pay off Wall St.

post #69 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Based on your sense of aesthetics, I'm sure you'll inform all of us when you are living in a hut with a couple solar panels and have demanded to be off the grid.

Hilarious how Democrats always want mass solutions until it comes to the third world. Likewise they excuse the rich from the mass solutions.

You want to get somewhere. Take a private jet or an ox and cart. However don't you dare demand infrastructure for the regular folks. Also don't complain when Democrats steal the "shovel ready" money to buy votes or pay off Wall St.

You are a true socialist. You want everything predigested and spit down your throat.
Hilarious. Move if you are not rich. This is the US we only like rich folk 'round here.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #70 of 155
Collect rain water run off for gardening. Since we have been doing that our water bill has dramatically improved and the water does not contain chlorine and fluoride which seems to make our tomatoes happy.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #71 of 155
Green Tech Sector Advances
Despite Failure of Climate Bill
Quote:
While the collapse of climate legislation in Congress was a setback for some green businesses, many others are moving ahead with projects to develop renewable energy. One major reason: The clean-tech sector is rapidly growing worldwide, and U.S. companies dont want to be left behind.
post #72 of 155

Wait...people will actually adopt green technology without being forced to do so by governments?

post #73 of 155
Just heard this on Sunday: The Philadelphia Eagles are installing solar panels and vertical wind turbines atop the stadium.

http://solar.calfinder.com/blog/goin...es-wind-solar/
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #74 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Wait...people will actually adopt green technology without being forced to do so by governments?

Only people who want to save loads of cash and get insane returns on their investments and use government $ to do so.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #75 of 155
Buy clothing made from bamboo thread. This new material not only hypoallergenic but one of the most easily renewable products. While you're at it also install bamboo flooring and get a bamboo Chapman Stick.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #76 of 155
Quote:

Buy clothing made from bamboo thread. This new material not only hypoallergenic but one of the most easily renewable products. While you're at it also install bamboo flooring and get a bamboo Chapman Stick.

I have a friend in the US who got bamboo flooring put in. It looked nice and she did it to be green, but it dented very easily indeed, despite having been told it wouldn't.
post #77 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I have a friend in the US who got bamboo flooring put in. It looked nice and she did it to be green, but it dented very easily indeed, despite having been told it wouldn't.

we have bamboo throughout and I think the wear is reasonable. The only harder surface is pergo but it looks cheap and fake compared to bamboo. We love it and so do our pets.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #78 of 155
Quote:

we have bamboo throughout and I think the wear is reasonable. The only harder surface is pergo but it looks cheap and fake compared to bamboo. We love it and so do our pets.

Maybe there's different kinds? Her dog's paws really made a mess of hers in places. Overall though it still looked really good, maybe partly because it's so flat those marks stood out more and as time goes on they'll be less obvious, I don't know. Hers has underfloor heating, so maybe that made a difference. She had no regrets anyway.
post #79 of 155
Quote:

My daughter bought some sheets and pillow cases made from bamboo thread--softest ever also hypoallergenic but now she can't find any more. Bamboo's potential is unknown in the west. Make the best fly rods--like it better than the carbon fiber ones.
post #80 of 155
In War-Scarred Landscape,
Vietnam Replants Its Forests
Quote:
With large swaths of forest destroyed by wartime defoliants, and even larger areas lost to post-war logging, Vietnam has set an ambitious goal for regenerating its woodlands. But proponents of reintroducing native tree species face resistance from a timber industry that favors fast-growing exotics like acacia.

Why not restore the rainforest that we destroyed with native species. Also need to restore diversity, we have seen in the native forest of NA what happens when you destroy the diversity of native stands and plant only species of trees. Also have when you log and replant large blocks of hundreds or acres of first growth forest.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)