or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)

Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite) - Page 3

post #81 of 155
My house is completely "green".

My wife wanted it red but I insisted on painting it green.
post #82 of 155
I know this is about "greening your house", but: Obama's 'Beast' Creates Stir at NATO Green Summit

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #83 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I know this is about "greening your house", but: Obama's 'Beast' Creates Stir at NATO Green Summit

Well the thread is also about green hypocrisy also, so your article is appropriate.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #84 of 155
Quote:

I know this is about "greening your house", but:

Why again do you post this here, if you know...?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #85 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Why again do you post this here, if you know...?

I think it's important for people to look to and learn from the examples of our leaders - especially those who admonish us to "go green" but don't take their own advice.

Raging hypocrisy, indeed.

post #86 of 155
Quote:

I think it's important for people to look to and learn from the examples of our leaders - especially those who admonish us to "go green" but don't take their own advice.

Raging hypocrisy, indeed.

What would you suggest as an alternative? Bear in mind that the vehicle is designed to protect the President---any US President which included former President Bush. I sure that beyond the security devices, there is a vast array of communication gear aboard. Diesel engine will use less fuel than if the Cadi used gasoline. OBTW, at least it a US made car.

To make it more green, solar panels could be installed on top.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #87 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

What would you suggest as an alternative? Bear in mind that the vehicle is designed to protect the President---any US President which included former President Bush. I sure that beyond the security devices, there is a vast array of communication gear aboard. Diesel engine will use less fuel than if the Cadi used gasoline. OBTW, at least it a US made car.

Obama is destroying the planet, and you're making excuses?

post #88 of 155
Quote:

What would you suggest as an alternative? Bear in mind that the vehicle is designed to protect the President

Yes, we get it, there's always an excuse, always a reason for our betters to have a different (usually less restrictive) set of rules that apply to them.

post #89 of 155
Quote:

Obama is destroying the planet, and you're making excuses?

So attacking me is an alternative? I have asked you a simple question, but as you have done in Climategate, you avoid answering questions and deflect the issues.

SUGGEST AN ALTERNATIVE. REMEMBER ALL THE PRESIDENTS FROM KENNEDY TO OBAMA HAD USE OF A LIMO---USUALLY A US MADE GAS GUZZLER. Maybe all Presidents from here forward should walk or use a horse and buggy.
post #90 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yes, we get it, there's always an excuse, always a reason for our betters to have a different (usually less restrictive) set of rules that apply to them.

Well even the Pope has a Pope Mobile---why shouldn't our Prez have the same? Most Heads of States have their own Limos---most often a Mercedes, at least ours is made in the US---good ole' bailed out General Motors.
post #91 of 155
Quote:

Well even the Pope has a Pope Mobile---why shouldn't our Prez have the same? Most Heads of States have their own Limos

Quote:

at least ours is made in the US---good ole' bailed out General Motors.

post #92 of 155
Quote:

So attacking me is an alternative? I have asked you a simple question, but as you have done in Climategate, you avoid answering questions and deflect the issues.

SUGGEST AN ALTERNATIVE. REMEMBER ALL THE PRESIDENTS FROM KENNEDY TO OBAMA HAD USE OF A LIMO---USUALLY A US MADE GAS GUZZLER. Maybe all Presidents from here forward should walk or use a horse and buggy.

Attacking you? Seriously, I can't understand why you make excuses for anyone when you believe the planet is being destroyed through human activity.

Is the life of one human, even the president, more important than the fate of the entire planet?

You want suggestions? Here's one: Obama has championed the Chevy Volt. If he was truly serious about saving the planet from imminent destruction through adopting "green" technology, don't you think he would have implemented some of that "green" technology in his tank by now? He is the president of the United States, after all.

post #93 of 155
Quote:

Attacking you? Seriously, I can't understand why you make excuses for anyone when you believe the planet is being destroyed through human activity.

Is the life of one human, even the president, more important than the fate of the entire planet?

You want suggestions? Here's one: Obama has championed the Chevy Volt. If he was truly serious about saving the planet from imminent destruction through adopting "green" technology, don't you think he would have implemented some of that "green" technology in his tank by now? He is the president of the United States, after all.

Of course you will be raising this same issue with all future Presidents, whether Dems, Repubs, or Tea Baggers?
post #94 of 155
Quote:

Of course you will be raising this same issue with all future Presidents, whether Dems, Repubs, or Tea Baggers?

The green hypocrisy issue? Of course. Hypocrisy is not exclusive to any particular person or group.

post #95 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Actually, he does have a good point. Who is the hypocrite you are calling out?

Also on the subject, I know of many who have gotten large 50 Gallon drums and attached them to their downspouts of their homes and then used them to water their lawns and gardens rather than the hose. You actually get relatively pure water for the plants and none of the chemicals the city puts in it. As an added bonus, you can get a break in your sewer rate for managing your storm-water runoff...

Quote:

Collect rain water run off for gardening. Since we have been doing that our water bill has dramatically improved and the water does not contain chlorine and fluoride which seems to make our tomatoes happy.

Mighty green of you to recycle previously posted ideas.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #96 of 155
Quote:

I think if the future president were a vocal proponent of green tech and were to continue to drive and fly around in the most ostentatious and wasteful manner, neither modeling their policy choices nor showing any attempt at being "green" themselves, then I would guess that they would be poked at as well.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #97 of 155
Quote:

I think if the future president were a vocal proponent of green tech and were to continue to drive and fly around in the most ostentatious and wasteful manner, neither modeling their policy choices nor showing any attempt at being "green" themselves, then I would guess that they would be poked at as well.

I'll email the Prez and suggest that he install solar panels on the roof, hood and trunk.....will this help?...never mind that he opted for diesel which will burn less fuel.
post #98 of 155
Quote:

You suggest a series of understandings and trade offs. Most people accept and work from this position. However our environmental overlords do not accept this premise. They want a zero footprint. They don't want human managed lands. They want human untouched lands. They do not want, this is the best we can do and we will continue to work toward an even better and brighter future. They want utopia now.

Bobby Jindal just wrote on this the last few days.
His writing reflects total common sense with regard to energy production but that is not what the enviro-fascists want. They want control and they want it while leaving their armor plated SUV's running so the AC blows cold. They want it while demanding we take the trade so they can avoid their own personal carbon cap.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #99 of 155
Maybe the righties here who are so concerned about hypocrisy should dismantle our military. That would tick their green boxes and their red ones, debt.

* I think MJ actually would reduce spending on it, maybe jazz a little. I suspect Mr T would vote for any war started by a repub, but claim otherwise here.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #100 of 155
Quote:

I'll email the Prez and suggest that he install solar panels on the roof, hood and trunk.....will this help?...never mind that he opted for diesel which will burn less fuel.

He opted for Diesel because a Gas powered vehicle does not have the Torque required to move that behemoth. I am sure that fuel economy was nowhere on the radar. However, to be fair, Obama did not design, choose, or build the vehicle either. He is just along for the ride.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #101 of 155
Wow. BR really messed up this thread with the leading title.

Anyhow, Ontario just announced that we're going nuclear (more than we already are) after a wasted five years indulging in the fiction that the Government could bribe everyone into harnessing wind and solar in any meaningful way.

I know BR's going to berate me for this, but I still don't like nuclear because of the waste issues.
There simply has to be a way to reprocess nuclear waste down to the point where it is less harmful.

Since Ontario projects electricity prices will double to cover the cost of the nuclear expansion, I think it's safe to assume they will actually quadruple. No one ever lost a bet when gambling that the Ontario Liberals are incompetent.

This means solar might actually offer faster payback in the coming years. But I still think that affordable home geothermal is where the real action is. If someone develops a mass market system that can be installed in a day or two, they will get rich really fast.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #102 of 155
Quote:

He opted for Diesel because a Gas powered vehicle does not have the Torque required to move that behemoth. I am sure that fuel economy was nowhere on the radar. However, to be fair, Obama did not design, choose, or build the vehicle either. He is just along for the ride.

That's so nice of you, I'm sure the Prez will appreciate it, OBTW Michelle hope's that you have a happy tg.

post #103 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I know BR's going to berate me for this, but I still don't like nuclear because of the waste issues.

It isn't my fault that you aren't up to date on the science of nuclear energy and waste disposal.

Give this thing a read and get back to me: Physics for Future Presidents by Dr. Richard A Muller, UC Berkeley Professor.

Also, Jazz, I know it's REALLY difficult, but keep your comments on topic and stop intentionally derailing the thread. You admitted to the derailment in your very own post.

Here's some stuff you can do to save energy with a toaster oven instead of your full size oven.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #104 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Also, Jazz, I know it's REALLY difficult, but keep your comments on topic and stop intentionally derailing the thread. You admitted to the derailment in your very own post.

I'll try really hard to not point out cases of green hypocrisy, but they're just so prevalent I may slip up now and then.

So how do I rate on your "respect-o-meter" now that I've posted several suggestions for greening your home?

Happy Thanksgiving!

post #105 of 155
I consider my town "home" as well and want to report a huge political success:

After 2 years of lobbying and holding speeches at city hall, my hometown broke ground on a 2.6 Mill $ car-port solar power installation which will provide power to our community center, the baseball court lighting, as well as city hall. Our Republican council members were shamed. The installation was made possible with federal grants from stimulus $ as well as financial assistance from the power company. It will not cost the local tax payer a dime, indeed it will save the city a bundle.
As an extra bonus all the city workers as well as visitors will have covered parking.

I think I am going to run for office in 2 years..... this is huge! (at least for me)
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #106 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Maybe the righties here who are so concerned about hypocrisy should dismantle our military. That would tick their green boxes and their red ones, debt.

* I think MJ actually would reduce spending on it, maybe jazz a little. I suspect Mr T would vote for any war started by a repub, but claim otherwise here.

Please share what you are drinking or check your glasses.

Thanks.

post #107 of 155
Quote:

It will not cost the local tax payer a dime

post #108 of 155
Quote:

I think I am going to run for office in 2 years..... this is huge! (at least for me)

Better hope nobody links you with some of the posts you've made in here if you hope to get elected.

Good luck!

post #109 of 155
Quote:

Better hope nobody links you with some of the posts you've made in here if you hope to get elected.

Good luck!

I thought he was going to put "I want oil genocide" on his yard signs."

post #110 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I thought he was going to put "I want oil genocide" on his yard signs."

His posts would sure inspire some catchy campaign slogans.

"Oil genocide. Realized."

"Touch my junk. Please."

"I want to pay more taxes - and so should you."

"Religious people are idiots."

post #111 of 155
Quote:

After 2 years of lobbying and holding speeches at city hall, my hometown broke ground on a 2.6 Mill $ car-port solar power installation which will provide power to our community center, the baseball court lighting, as well as city hall. Our Republican council members were shamed. The installation was made possible with federal grants from stimulus $ as well as financial assistance from the power company. It will not cost the local tax payer a dime, indeed it will save the city a bundle.
As an extra bonus all the city workers as well as visitors will have covered parking.

Great!

If the opposition is anything like as weak as here, you'll have a landslide victory!
post #112 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Please share what you are drinking or check your glasses.

Thanks.

Maybe that was a bit uncalled for.

Have there been any wars started by a repub you weren't in favour of? So as not derail this thread you could respond in the "miscellaneous news" thread.
post #113 of 155
Quote:

Great!

If the opposition is anything like as weak as here, you'll have a landslide victory!

Seriously? You want someone who is willing to punish someone for their political or religious beliefs to run for office and win? (This is a position he has been openly vocal about here.) Of course you do not live in the US so what do you care, right?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #114 of 155
Only here will a thread about helping the environment and helping each other save money in the process devolve into this kind of bullshit. Shame on the derailers. You know exactly who you are.

With winter here, those in colder regions can save a lot of energy by packing ice from outside your doorstep into milk jugs and placing them in your refrigerator. The compressor won't go on unless the temperature rises above the threshold you set, so you save a ton on electricity.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #115 of 155
Quote:

I am looking for a news story on this, can you post a link please? Something this big had to have made the news and I am interested to see how it is covered.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #116 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You must have added those after I replied. I'll check them out later. Do they actually refer to thing he did?

Yes. Read them
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #117 of 155
Quote:

Maybe that was a bit uncalled for.

Have there been any wars started by a repub you weren't in favour of? So as not derail this thread you could respond in the "miscellaneous news" thread.

I'm not in favor of Pax Americana and this is true regardless of the party orientation of the President. We've had nice bit of discussion in the other thread and so I would ask you to look at the actual votes, especially since in the U.S. a president cannot just declare war, and hold all parties accountable that voted affirmatively.

As was noted in the prior elections, action in Iraq was authorized by resolution 1441.
Who supported that resolution and what was their role with regard to president?

John Kerry, 2004 Democratic presidential nominee supported it.
Hillary Clinton, 2008 Democratic presidential nominee supported it.
Barack Obama, 2008 Democratic presidential nominee and now president was not in a position to vote on it and declared he would not have voted on it. Yet we see that he has not altered from the Pax Americana doctrine. You can even go back and find posts from me noting this doctrine and how he would not deviate from it.

It isn't a Republican or Democratic thing. If you want to go back and look at all modern American presidents, they've all followed it and they've all undertaken actions related to it. Nostalgia and political orientations just mix and make us forget. Obama has his Afghanistan. Clinton had his Haiti, Somalia and Kosovo war if you recall and those are just off the top of my head. I support a different course from Pax Americana and have stated so plainly for a number of years now.

Now as for the thread topic, my electrical use is down for the second year in a row on my latest bill. We are down 20 Kwh per day from two years ago. I suspect the new pool filter motor has helped. I'm using this thread to remind me about the clothes line which I tried to remind myself several times to add now.

post #118 of 155
Quote:

I am looking for a news story on this, can you post a link please? Something this big had to have made the news and I am interested to see how it is covered.

The idea itself isn't a bad one. When having those sort of occasional late night, few drink talkfests I occasionally have with friends, I've often thought the solution to all of our problems would be found in a photovoltaic paint.

post #119 of 155
Quote:

It has been covered extensively in our local paper however I could not find it online as of yet.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #120 of 155
Quote:

I know that others have posted responses or questions to this post. Makes sense to use to space..not only providing shade, but producing power. Found these:

INSTALLATION FOR SANTA MONICA BLUE BUS PROGRESSES

REC Solar Announces Largest U.S. Carport Solar Installation

LA-DWP

East Los Angeles College - 1 Megawatt Photovoltaic Power Facility
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)