or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday - Page 4

post #121 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by i386 View Post

...It definitely would be nice if Apple gave the end-user the choice to download loseless versions in 16bit 44.1khz (or 24bit at higher sampling rate if we are dreaming! :-) )

If that were the case, then I'd buy all my music from iTunes. However, when I can buy a CD for the same price as an iTunes download, I'll take the CD.
post #122 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

I disagree. A Beatles announcement would be huge. Granted, anyone who wants them on their hard drive already has them - having the access on iTunes wouldn't mean much as far as obtaining them. But the mere fact that the Beatles finally are available online... that's huge.

While the Beatles occupy an undeniably important place in the history of music, not to mention a place in my heart, they also account for a decreasing percentage of people who care. The majority of people under age 35 (or so) would probably consider that a completely forgettable day. (Apologies to folks my age and older that I had to point that out.) But since we know that Steve DOES, in fact, care, I guess it's still a possibility.

And the relationship to Paul McCartney's song "Another Day" is somewhat compelling.

Thompson
post #123 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

This international clock choice could maybe hints for international expansion of the music and/or movie store? The announcement is made at 07.00 a.m. Cupertino time, quite unusual (usually it is 09 or 10 am). How much I wish the music and movie store could finally come here to the Czech Republic!

Why not just open an account on the US store ? It's pretty straightforward to do wherever you live, and Apple obviously aren't too concerned about people doing it.
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
post #124 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

The fact that these times appear in the announcement suggest that it is relevant to all of these markets.

Our company often has global conferences in these exact locations and we always start them at 6:30 am Los Angeles time. Most unfortunate for those in Japan but it is the best time for a global announcement. If you go to timeanddate.com and use their meeting planner you will be able to see the available time slots are quite slim.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #125 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Perhaps you speak English 'different' from me?

Some good comments here, I know it was just a slogan , I was kidding around. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different

Most people don't realize how that phrase was intended. If, as most people assume, the word "different" was intended as an adverb, so that they were telling us HOW to think, then the correct word to use would be "differently".

But Apple wasn't telling us HOW to think, they were telling us WHAT to think, as in the phrase: "Think Big.", "Think Red.", etc. In that case, "Think Different" is fine... especially if they had put quotations around the word "Different".

Thompson
post #126 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla98 View Post

Don't think we get a choice on it...

http://www.t3.com/news/bbc-iplayer-t...rollout?=50747

Oh i don't mind them paying for it.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #127 of 262
I hope it's something like the books option from ilife.
I could take my favorite cd bought on i-tune and they would burn-it for me and deliver in a nice plastic case with a nice paper booklet.

post #128 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Haha, that's hilarious

I hope they'll make it possible to completely disable and hide that useless thing called Ping...

And replace it with Bing.
Ping + bing = BING!!!!!! something along those lines.
post #129 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Bealtes. Yawn.

The Bealtes would be a yawn.

The Beatles on the other hand....
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #130 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I think the web-based iTunes model is much too big a deal not to have a press conference or keynote involved. Perhaps Gruber's guesses are the most accurate. He thinks it could be as simple as 4.2 announcement. He admits he is totally speculating. His point is similar to mine What could Apple announce without a media event to explain and demo it?.

Well i, like i'm sure many others do, rely on Apple Video tutorials. When i watch keynotes i never really pay attention to the detail. I just want to know what's new.
post #131 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

If it's something familiar to most users, like iTunes, then Apple may feel a press conference would be a waste of time. Besides it gives people time to leak information. Have you noticed how flat Apple's keynotes have been, in terms of audience response lately?

As it's iTunes related i tend to agree with Solipsism and think it'll be a web-based iTunes model.

It's dominating the homepage of most of the Apple sites worldwide so it must be fairly big, as that's a lot of advertising space to give up for something trivial.

I think the Beetles release will be the thing now. It's not a huge deal requiring a press conference or media event. Some people are linking to the help album where the beatles hands appear to be pointing out clock times. Not the same times as these, but times none-the-less. There are 4 clocks. New York and London are among them. If intrade had this up, I would go with beetles release. Speculation subject to change without notice
post #132 of 262
To me this means tomorrow I won't be able to access iTunes.
post #133 of 262
Just Another Day. Beatles. Makes sense that they'd use a Paul song for the tag line, since he's around to negotiate with. Although the announcement could include improved codecs/streaming/something else tied to the introduction of the Beatles catalog-- possibly something Yoko/assorted rights holders were wanting before they allowed it?

I think maybe people are underestimating the continued appeal of the Beatles. I work in a high school and the kids know and love the entire catalog.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #134 of 262
I wonder what's up with the punctuation: "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget."

A lot of blogs are interpreting this as "Tomorrow is just another day that you'll never forget." But that's not exactly how it's written.
post #135 of 262
Quote:

Yoko died?

Ouch. Harsh much?
post #136 of 262
I still don't see how iTunes finally getting the Beatles library would be an event "that you'll never forget". I would think it a bit presumptuous to classify that event as unforgettable. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles as much as the next person, but not so much that I'd never forget the day their music became available on the iTunes store.
post #137 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Most people don't realize how that phrase was intended. If, as most people assume, the word "different" was intended as an adverb, so that they were telling us HOW to think, then the correct word to use would be "differently".

But Apple wasn't telling us HOW to think, they were telling us WHAT to think, as in the phrase: "Think Big.", "Think Red.", etc. In that case, "Think Different" is fine... especially if they had put quotations around the word "Different".

Thompson

My point exactly as the link showed. Thanks for repeating it though.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #138 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yes, it is a pipe dream, as MP3 has not ruined the hearing of a generation. And I find it amusing that you placed Apple Lossless with MP3. Apple Lossless is lossless, just like FLAC or WAV. Apple Lossless sounds exactly the same as FLAC or WAV.

Lossless is lossy relative to analog.
post #139 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Ouch. Harsh much?

Sorry, .

But if it is the Beatles I assume she is missing?
post #140 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Lossless is lossy relative to analog.

I gave up on any of these discussion after seeing the graphs of my actual hearing frequency range. It's pretty depressing passed 40 for most humans. Now I say, I like the 'look' of my very high end speakers and expensive audio gear
post #141 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I still don't see how iTunes finally getting the Beatles library would be an event "that you'll never forget". I would think it a bit presumptuous to classify that event as unforgettable. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles as much as the next person, but not so much that I'd never forget the day their music became available on the iTunes store.

This is Apple. They are not adverse to hyperbole. Plus, if they wish, they can make damn well sure that you never do forget it, by running an aggressive ad campaign.
post #142 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You just implied ALAC isnt a true losssless codec.
You compared ALAC as bein as inferior in quality as the lossy MP3 codec.
You ignored any and all possible reasons legal reasons why Apple cant simply use a lossless codec.
You ignored the quality of the original content to focus on certain lossless codecs, while pooh-poohng other lossless and lossy codecs (i.e.: Take 64kbps MP3, convert to FLAC, yet you still have inferior sound, thus the original content it was ripped from is important. Note: CD is not superior audio quality).

You also just made my ignore list. Welcome back Teckdud!

Now that I'm a PC, I can finally read this screen. I still have iTunes, and it seems to work just as well on a PC. The quality of sound from the iTunes Store is awful. On the other hand, many of the 64kbps AAC HE stations in iTunes Radio are fine. It isn't just lossy versus lossless. You can't compress (remove similar sounds) from music, without it taking a hit. A bigger problem, and I won't fault the iTunes Store without proof, is "brick-walling." Go ahead and Wiki it. I don't believe anyone who sells music on the Internet will ever use anything greater than 320kbps. And that is hard to find.

I have to agree, CD does not automatically mean quality. Brick-walling can ruin anything. I would like to see an iTunes Radio feature similar to what I now get from Rhapsody. And yes, I expect none of you to know what this PC is talking about. The Rhapsody App is not available on a Mac. It is similar to Slacker or Pandora, or even Last FM. It is radio. You can listen, but you can't touch, and it of course is free.

Oh, one more thing ... OGG baby OGG!
post #143 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

This international clock choice could maybe hints for international expansion of the music and/or movie store? The announcement is made at 07.00 a.m. Cupertino time, quite unusual (usually it is 09 or 10 am). How much I wish the music and movie store could finally come here to the Czech Republic!

Hang on, did I just ask Apple to become a truly global monster?

I can't believe they haven't pushed iTunes Stores out to cover all 70 iOS App Stores!

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #144 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I think Beetles angle its pretty strong. Paul M. Sings a song called "Just Another Day". In Help album cover he's pointing at 3:00 London time. Similar to the London time in this tease. All the other times are backed out to show the release time. Having New York mades sense because of John L. Beetles were huge in Tokyo. The chances of this not being beetle release is getting remote IMHO.
post #145 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Why not just open an account on the US store ? It's pretty straightforward to do wherever you live, and Apple obviously aren't too concerned about people doing it.

Because it's simply wrong for me to have to lie about myself in order to be "eligible" to buy from iTunes Store. (Yes, I know it's more about record companies having still the Cold War map of Europe for music licensing.)
post #146 of 262
Quote:

I gave up on any of these discussion after seeing the graphs of my actual hearing frequency range. It's pretty depressing passed 40 for most humans. Now I say, I like the 'look' of my very high end speakers and expensive audio gear

You're exactly right.

Most people -- me included (well past 40!), who used to think of himself as an 'audiophile' -- can't tell the difference much between 'lossless' and a 256 kbps AAC file.

Ears change. Listening adjusts. We move on.....
post #147 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nVqLfPBtw"]
I think maybe people are underestimating the continued appeal of the Beatles. I work in a high school and the kids know and love the entire catalog.

That really surprises me. I'm from Missouri, so instead of believing you, I'm going to have to go out and ask a few teenagers myself. A couple hundred should get me a decent sampling...

... then again, who has the time? Guess I'll take your word for it.

Thompson
post #148 of 262
That would be a huge iTunes announcement.
post #149 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

That really surprises me. I'm from Missouri, so instead of believing you, I'm going to have to go out and ask a few teenagers myself. A couple hundred should get me a decent sampling...

... then again, who has the time? Guess I'll take your word for it.

Thompson

It's true of the kids at the high school in San Francisco, and it's true of my nieces and nephews in Huntsville, AL. Admittedly a small sampling, but very broad.
post #150 of 262
Quote:

My point exactly as the link showed. Thanks for repeating it though.

Ha...

I followed the link but scanned it so quickly that the Grammar section just went right by without my notice.

Well, that's OK... I've been redundant before, and I'll be redundant again. Again.

Thompson
post #151 of 262
Shocking mind-blowing announcment will be:

All iTunes customers will receive a complimentary Apple Branded one time release teddy bear.

That is all.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #152 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

If this is the "Cloud" that is coming....how much will it cost for people that have sizeable content?

That's what I have wondered about every since it started being discussed. Nothing is free but how can me saving 150 Gigs of my iTunes on Apple's servers be affordable?

I agree. So far I have over 43,000 apple lossless songs.
post #153 of 262
"Tomorrow is just another day" is the last line in Gone With the Wind.

Obviously the big announcement tomorrow is that Rhett and Scarlett are getting back together and releasing a new iTunes-exclusive song to commemorate the event.

Boy, won't you guys be disappointed.
post #154 of 262
Quote:

I think Beetles angle its pretty strong. Paul M. Sings a song called "Just Another Day". In Help album cover he's pointing at 3:00 London time. Similar to the London time in this tease. All the other times are backed out to show the release time. Having New York mades sense because of John L. Beetles were huge in Tokyo. The chances of this not being beetle release is getting remote IMHO.

It's probably all on one of the album covers already. Somewhere among the flowers that say "Paul" is a hidden word... "iTunes." That, or maybe it's somewhere on the street behind the Volkswagen.
post #155 of 262
Quote:

Interesting. Not an exact match, of course, but..... interesting. I heart insane Apple announcement forensics.

post #156 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Ouch, such egregious grammar!
Can someone puhleeease have a word with Apple's Comms people?!

Either of these would be better:

Tomorrow is just another day...that you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, a day you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, and you'll never forget it.

I think you are missing the point.

First, English is a rapidly evolving language, a pastiche of many other languages, and mostly a dog's breakfast of random rules and structures.

Secondly, advertisements need to be current and will always be on the bleeding edge of new grammar, new terminology and new ways of speaking as opposed to conforming to what the Oxford English Dictionary said was good a few years ago.

Finally, the main point of using grammatically incorrect language in advertising is to get people to turn their heads, and to talk about the language being used, which is exactly what it has achieved given that we are sitting here having a discussion about the advertisement.
post #157 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

If this is the "Cloud" that is coming....how much will it cost for people that have sizeable content?

That's what I have wondered about every since it started being discussed. Nothing is free but how can me saving 150 Gigs of my iTunes on Apple's servers be affordable?

I don't think a streaming service would work by saving a personal copy of each of downloaded song by each user. It wouldn't need to. No matter how many songs you have downloaded, you would only be streaming one song at a time (or two or three, I suppose, if it works on multiple simultaneous devices), and Apple knows what songs you have purchased, i.e., have a license to listen to.

Apple does not need to keep a saved copy of every download of Muse's "Uprising" that they have ever sold. Apple only needs to store it in such a way that they can stream it to everyone who has a license to stream that song.

And if this is part of an all-you-can-eat streaming subscription service, it won't even matter what songs you've downloaded in the past. You'll be able to listen to everything that falls within the subscription service license.
post #158 of 262
Quote:

I think Beetles angle its pretty strong. Paul M. Sings a song called "Just Another Day". In Help album cover he's pointing at 3:00 London time. Similar to the London time in this tease.

I am the walrus.
post #159 of 262
'Just another day' leaves possibility that Item could be beatles related. However moving forward, Live TV, media streaming and cloud computing also could be related to the announcement.
In any event, While the announcement may be significant I don't think it's anything major as Apple would have called a press conference.

Also the possibility of a Facebook tie-in
post #160 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I am the walrus.

Goob goob gajoob
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday