or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple quietly pulls Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple quietly pulls Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 update

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
The latest security and maintenance update for Snow Leopard Server, Mac OS X 10.6.5, is no longer available for download, as some users have reported issues with the software.

Mac OS X 10.6.5 was released for both Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server users last Wednesday. But since then, the update for Mac OS X 10.6 Server has been pulled without explanation.

Some who installed the update before it disappeared have reported issues on the Apple Discussions forums (1, 2). One person said that the update broke Lightweight Directory Access Protocol and Domain Name System functionality, while another said they had a problem with external drives.

"I've only updated a few machines to 10.6.5 so far... One of them (fresh 10.6.0 client install with 10.6.5 combo update installed) needs an AFP connection to a server (also running 10.6.5 now, but server edition), and the connection drops at some point within, usually, less than an hour..." user Robert Carneim2 wrote. "The other case is a 10.6.5 server with a Drobo connected to it, and it was all working great under 10.6.4 and earlier for over a year—now the Drobo drops off randomly. Has anyone seen similar behavior recently or ever?"

In yet another thread, some said they had issues with their mail server after updating to 10.6.5. User "lionadmin" said they now have some users receiving others' e-mails in "large amounts."

In addition, when the Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 update was released last week, some users found that the combo updater made available from Apple would download incorrectly. Links that originally led to downloads associated with the latest update to Snow Leopard Server are now met with a 404 error page.

AppleInsider contacted Apple support, which confirmed that Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 was no longer available for download. Representatives could not, however, provide an explanation as to why it was pulled. It was recommended that any user who might already have 10.6.5 installed back up their system as a precaution.
post #2 of 35
From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.
Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.
post #3 of 35
Well, I have installed 10.6.5 on my OS X Server. AND I have a Drobo. I used to have 'drop offs' quite frequently ever since I had that device. So far I didn't have one since 10.6.5 is installed, but then, I didn't copy an awful lot of data on it since then.
post #4 of 35
It looks like someone, root66, worked out a fix for the LDAP/certificate issue:
http://discussions.apple.com/message...68395#12568395
post #5 of 35
I am having ethernet drops to my Sharespace... never had an issue in .4...

But, I am not running server... just 10.6.5 desktop.

Usually drops within the hour, but ran all day yesterday and dropped overnight...
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.

That's what happens when the extent of your reading is comic books.

OS X Server is a great server - for its intended use. It's probably not the top choice one for heavy, enterprise applications - which may be part of the reason why the dropped the Xserve. But it's a fantastic server for departmental, home, or small business usage.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #7 of 35
I am so upset at Apple. After many hours of wasted time spent dealing with issues from Snow Leopard, the problems continue with every OS X update including this one. Since installing OS X 10.6.5 desktop version my AirPort WiFi continuously drops. I'm sure they'll be other issues I have yet to discover which I'll need to troubleshoot. While I'm ranting I wish they'd stop trying to snuff out Firefox. I have lost all trust in Apple and their updates.
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OS X Server is a great server - for its intended use. It's probably not the top choice one for heavy, enterprise applications - which may be part of the reason why the dropped the Xserve. But it's a fantastic server for departmental, home, or small business usage.

Why? I don't get what people see in OS X server. Perhaps you think the server admin app or the QuickTime streaming server or the iCal server or Applescript is what departments, home and small business needs and differentiates it from Linux. Linux, however, is free.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Army View Post

I am so upset at Apple. After many hours of wasted time spent dealing with issues from Snow Leopard, the problems continue with every OS X update including this one. Since installing OS X 10.6.5 desktop version my AirPort WiFi continuously drops. I'm sure they'll be other issues I have yet to discover which I'll need to troubleshoot. While I'm ranting I wish they'd stop trying to snuff out Firefox. I have lost all trust in Apple and their updates.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I've been a mac user since system 7 and have never had a single issue with an apple update - 10.6.5 installed and again zero issues. I wonder what the cause of your issues could be. Also remember this refers to 10.6.5 server. It's pretty clear to anyone who follows Apple software update cycles how much testing they do undergo - however it's never possible to test every configuration of hardware, software and environment.

Hopefully you'd backed up and are now back to 10.6.4 and your problems gone again, but in the meantime you've dropped a line to apple to ask for help.

What I don't understand is the comment about Apple trying to "snuff out" firefox - what did you mean by that, and what do Apple do to try and prevent end users installing it and running it as their default browser?
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.
Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.

I don't think that Virginia Tech would agree with you.
post #11 of 35
In theory OSX Server has many great features and it's easy to use but it's unstable and has many serious bugs such as Permissions, and log-in bugs.

It seems odd that Apple does not comprehend the Server market.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

I am having ethernet drops to my Sharespace... never had an issue in .4...

But, I am not running server... just 10.6.5 desktop.

Usually drops within the hour, but ran all day yesterday and dropped overnight...

My non-sever 10.6.5 is dropping WiFi every now and then since I've updated.
Never happen while using 10.6.4.
So... let's wait for some fixes/updates, if any?!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

My non-sever 10.6.5 is dropping WiFi every now and then since I've updated.
Never happen while using 10.6.4.
So... let's wait for some fixes/updates, if any?!

Have you sent a bug report to Apple - I don't know anyone who had a single issue with 10.6.5 - and I know a LOT of people running the OS.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

My non-sever 10.6.5 is dropping WiFi every now and then since I've updated.
Never happen while using 10.6.4.
So... let's wait for some fixes/updates, if any?!

Not seeing it here. What troubleshooting have you done to determine it's the OS update that's causing the problem. Simply saying "well it didn't happen before" doesn't help. It's like believing washing your car caused it to rain. "Well it wasn't raining before I washed it."
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why? I don't get what people see in OS X server. Perhaps you think the server admin app or the QuickTime streaming server or the iCal server or Applescript is what departments, home and small business needs and differentiates it from Linux. Linux, however, is free.

Linux is free if your time is worth nothing. FreeBSD is free too, and more stable and performant than Linux, so why don't you use that?

MacOS X Server can be maintained easily and quickly, and can be learned more easily than Linux or FreeBSD. If you don't have the expertise already, MacOS X Server may be a better choice.
post #16 of 35
I would rate Mac OS X server as my third choice architecture wise. GUI wise its #1.

On the architecture side I put FreeBSD and Solaris in the top 2 slots, followed by Mac OS X, Openbsd, AIX and then Linux(its not too stable, and not as easy to manage). I would throw z/OS into the mix because it looks good on paper but I haven't played with it so I can't really rate it. QNX looks real good on paper, it might be the best architecture wise.

Mac OS X server is a must for Final Cut Server, QTSS, Podcast producer and other Apple only server apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.
Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.
post #17 of 35
Ah damn. I hit this email misbehavior, one user was receiving emails addressed to me for a period of several hours yet I couldn't find any mention of delivering to another mailbox in Postfix logs and didn't want to dig any deeper.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Linux is free if your time is worth nothing. FreeBSD is free too, and more stable and performant than Linux, so why don't you use that?

MacOS X Server can be maintained easily and quickly, and can be learned more easily than Linux or FreeBSD. If you don't have the expertise already, MacOS X Server may be a better choice.

I am a RH fan and although it may be a Ford/Chevy argument I feel RH is the most bulletproof OS in the server realm. But speaking of autos as an analogy to computers, comparing regular desktop computing to servers is like a commuter car versus a race car. Relying on a server admin app as opposed to actually knowing what you are doing from a unix perspective is sort of like putting an automatic transmission into a race car. Although there are a few race cars with automatic transmissions such a pro dragsters, there is not one race car driver who does not know how to drive a manual speed transmission. So my conclusion is, if you don't know how to manage a server, even an OS X server is going to be too complicated for you.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #19 of 35
I have always found RH to be behind on the latest updates. Much easier to handle things with the FreeBSD ports system. FreeBSD patches are released a lot quicker then RH. Though Linux does have nice GUI based tools for building custom kernels or then that FreeBSD is my weapon of choice



Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am a RH fan and although it may be a Ford/Chevy argument I feel RH is the most bulletproof OS in the server realm. But speaking of autos as an analogy to computers, comparing regular desktop computing to servers is like a commuter car versus a race car. Relying on a server admin app as opposed to actually knowing what you are doing from a unix perspective is sort of like putting an automatic transmission into a race car. Although there are a few race cars with automatic transmissions such a pro dragsters, there is not one race car driver who does not know how to drive a manual speed transmission. So my conclusion is, if you don't know how to manage a server, even an OS X server is going to be too complicated for you.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

I have always found RH to be behind on the latest updates. Much easier to handle things with the FreeBSD ports system. FreeBSD patches are released a lot quicker then RH. Though Linux does have nice GUI based tools for building custom kernels or then that FreeBSD is my weapon of choice


Never used BSD. I went from Solaris to RH when they went enterprise. I know what you mean about the delay in updates other than security. I think they do that on purpose. If the system is stable enterprise customers don't want constant updates. They want it to be bulletproof and when the next version comes out they build systems with that one. Once I get a deployment running right, I don't change anything unless it is security related.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #21 of 35
It's a little unusual for Apple to recall a release but it's happened before. Leopard Server had a 10.5.8 v1.1 release to clean up a last problem since there wasn't scheduled to be a 10.5.9 release.

I use Snow Leopard Server at home and I have 10.6.5 running now. The only problem I noticed was an odd tendency for the USB keyboard and mouse (both Apple) to either stop working after a few minutes or never start working on boot. Unplugging-replugging the keyboard/mouse combo seem to help for a few minutes, but utlimately what solved the issue for me was to plug the keyboard/mouse directly into the back of my Mac Mini and now plug it into another hub I had. For a year having the keyboard plugged into another hub didn't seem to matter...now it does.

Maybe that has something to do with some users' Drobo problems, assuming they were using USB connectivity. I have a Drobo but I use FW800 to connect and have had no problems with 10.6.5.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.
Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.

Now that's just a silly comment or is it just plain lack of knowledge? For the many gripes I have with Mac OS X server, the software is definitely production-grade...

It works well for commercial production use, and in many cases better than several Linux variants I know (for the sake of available support).

We spend the money on Redhat for that reason.
post #23 of 35
Not really that shocking. They've axed their server hardware, gotten rid of their enterprise group, and there's now only one person left doing work on OS X server who works in the campus basement. Apparently he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it...but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Not seeing it here. What troubleshooting have you done to determine it's the OS update that's causing the problem. Simply saying "well it didn't happen before" doesn't help. It's like believing washing your car caused it to rain. "Well it wasn't raining before I washed it."

Well, there are two people 'here' with the same problem, and a lot more on Apple Forums. And... to have something running for a number of months, trouble free, to have an OS update cause problems... seems to point to the update. It isn't my job to debug Apple's stuff. After submitting several DOZEN reports for iPhoto, I am done with doing Apple's QA work for them.

I love Apple, but they've had some very big misses the last few updates that are not cool...
post #25 of 35
I am one of the sysadmins who experienced troubles and reported those on the Apple forums. One of my user intermittently sees two other user's entire email hierarchy in place of two of his own IMAP subfolders. That is a most serious breach of privacy and IMO a fix should be available within days, not weeks.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why? I don't get what people see in OS X server. Perhaps you think the server admin app or the QuickTime streaming server or the iCal server or Applescript is what departments, home and small business needs and differentiates it from Linux. Linux, however, is free.

Its simple really. you have client/server apps that run on OSX. Final cut is a good example but dental and medical practices might use Mac Practice and possibly Springcharts EHR.

If you use those apps you need OSX SERVER. And IMO there isn't anything "wrong" with OSX server. It works quite well for small businesses.
post #27 of 35
I too am having an issue with dropping wifi signals after upgrading to 10.6.5. It's happening on two machines both late 2007 models, one is an iMac and the other a MacBook.

My new MBP is not having the issue though, I wonder if it's a driver issue for that wifi adapter. I'll assume that both those Macs use the same wifi adapter.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.
Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.

Next you're going to say, FreeBSD is garbage.
post #29 of 35
Build 10H575 is on ADC.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Not really that shocking. They've axed their server hardware, gotten rid of their enterprise group, and there's now only one person left doing work on OS X server who works in the campus basement. Apparently he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it...but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Everyone working on OS X Server works without a paycheck from Apple. They go under the title 'The Open Source Community"
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.

Pray share with us your authoritative sources. How many have you read? Or, are you saying those who use the Apple servers are the most stupid people in the world; like the engineers. the Chairman, the research units at a university Virginia, who decided to string together several hundred Mac servers to create one of the fastest computers in the world in 2003? Would you consider the federal agencies that provided them the several million dollars to support the effort also stupid?

Oh, they were so stupid they decided to build another supercomputer, with full support from the entire university also funded by the federal government.

I read several businesses who have farms of these servers to host the servers of other businesses.

Were those part of all your reading materials that led you to conclude that Apple servers are mediocre? You must be an expert yourself about servers?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.

So, please share with us what Apple consumer products you use. and trust.
post #32 of 35
First a bad iOS 4.2 GM and now this. Apple has been sloppy lately. They need to test stuff more thoroughly before rushing it out the door.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

First a bad iOS 4.2 GM and now this. Apple has been sloppy lately. They need to test stuff more thoroughly before rushing it out the door.

I agree. You would think that a company that strives so diligently for physical perfection in their products would also do the same for their OS and softwares. Why not be the first company that releases software products with zero defects? Or at least makes it their goal to do so.
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

First a bad iOS 4.2 GM and now this. Apple has been sloppy lately. They need to test stuff more thoroughly before rushing it out the door.

Careful, someone might accuse you of being a troll...
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am a RH fan and although it may be a Ford/Chevy argument I feel RH is the most bulletproof OS in the server realm. But speaking of autos as an analogy to computers, comparing regular desktop computing to servers is like a commuter car versus a race car. Relying on a server admin app as opposed to actually knowing what you are doing from a unix perspective is sort of like putting an automatic transmission into a race car. Although there are a few race cars with automatic transmissions such a pro dragsters, there is not one race car driver who does not know how to drive a manual speed transmission. So my conclusion is, if you don't know how to manage a server, even an OS X server is going to be too complicated for you.

That was funny but I think it's the first car analogy for computers I have seen someone post that actually works. Well done, bravo. Things should be designed to be easy to use, but that's never an excuse to be a dilettante, as you illustrated.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple quietly pulls Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 update