or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

post #1 of 378
Legendary music group The Beatles finally arrived on iTunes Tuesday, with tracks from all of the band's albums available for purchase individually or as complete iTunes LPs [updated].

The tracks went on sale just after 9:30 a.m. Eastern, before Apple's planned announcement of 10 a.m. All of the band's classic albums are now available for download, including "Abbey Road," "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul."

Full albums run $12.99 for an iTunes LP, and individual tracks are available for $1.29 each. The entire Beatles box set can also be purchased for $149.

Apple announced the arrival of the band's catalog on its website at 10 a.m., with a picture of the "Fab Four" taking up the front page. A special section of Apple's website dedicated to The Beatles was also launched.

All 13 of the band's remastered studio albums are available, as well as the two-volume "Past Masters" compilation and the "Red" and "Blue" collections. The digital box set also includes the "Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964" concert film, an iTunes exclusive.

Also available on Apple's Beatles site are five commercials heralding the debut of the band on iTunes. One clip shows the band's legendary arrival in America, before concluding with, "In 1964 they came to America, now they're coming to iTunes."

The parties involved in the deal commented on the arrival of the legendary songs from The Beatles on iTunes in a press release issued Tuesday:

"Were really excited to bring the Beatles' music to iTunes," said Sir Paul McCartney. "It's fantastic to see the songs we originally released on vinyl receive as much love in the digital world as they did the first time around."

"I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes," said Ringo Starr. "At last, if you want ityou can get it nowThe Beatles from Liverpool to now! Peace and Love, Ringo."

"We love the Beatles and are honored and thrilled to welcome them to iTunes," said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. "It has been a long and winding road to get here. Thanks to the Beatles and EMI, we are now realizing a dream weve had since we launched iTunes ten years ago."

"In the joyful spirit of Give Peace A Chance, I think it is so appropriate that we are doing this on John's 70th birthday year," said Yoko Ono Lennon.

"The Beatles on iTunesBravo!" said Olivia Harrison.

"The Beatles and iTunes have both been true innovators in their fields," said EMI Group CEO Roger Faxon. "Its a privilege for everybody at EMI to work with Steve Jobs and with Apple Corps' Jeff Jones and their teams in marking a great milestone in the development of digital music."

Media outlets first reported on Monday that Apple would announce the debut of the entire catalog of The Beatles on iTunes Tuesday. Apple had teased an "exciting announcement" for 10 a.m. Eastern, 7 a.m. Pacific.

The arrival of The Beatles on iTunes was a long and difficult road, completed more than 7 years after the iTunes Store first began selling music. Apple and the Beatles' parent company, Apple Corp, were engaged in a trademark dispute for years, before it was finally settled in 2007.
post #2 of 378
*meh*
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #3 of 378
So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page.. WTF

Dont get me wrong the Beatles are great and all, but I think Steve Jobs classes them as way more important than they are to Apples bottom line, its not like Apple even makes much money out of selling music.

Now how about announcing something good like the rest of the world finally gets all of the TV shows and movies that the American customers gets at the same price (fat chance). Now that would be big or something like the Apple TV gets an app store!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #4 of 378
I listened to Help on the way to work today on my iPod (bought the CD a couple years ago).

Excellent stuff.

Wall Street Journal has a short article today that The Beatles were the number 3 album/CD selling group in 2009. Looks like a pretty good revenue stream for Apple.
Anthracite
Anthracite
post #5 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page.. WTF

Dont get me wrong the Beatles are great and all, but I think Steve Jobs classes them as way more important than they are to Apples bottom line, its not like Apple even makes much money out of selling music.

Now how about announcing something good like the rest of the world finally gets all of the TV shows and movies that the American customers gets at the same price (fat chance). Now that would be big or something like the Apple TV gets an app store!

Nope, no announcement has yet been made.

Also noticed I can now 'like' these tracks for facebook through the iTunes store...
post #6 of 378
Seriously, I could have went down the street to the dollar store and gotten any Beatles album...
post #7 of 378
I am sure it matters to some. And SJ probably finally feels some personal satisfaction.

Meh/bleh/yawn is right.

(Although, the media hyperventilation over this today is quite something to behold. More press than that other British story, William and Kate....)
post #8 of 378
oh no.

please let there be something more than a 1960s boyband rehash.
post #9 of 378
This is the most important music news of 2003.
post #10 of 378
...and here I was expecting a Beatles-only cloud.
post #11 of 378
Ii got the first comment in on St. Pepper on the UK store. Said it was cr*p.
post #12 of 378
"A long and difficult road?" Seriously??
They couldn't have picked a more appropriate adjective?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #13 of 378
I think what should be noted is that the film 'Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964' is being streamed. This, I think, is a pointed to the announcement we can expect.
post #14 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nope, no announcement has yet been made.

Also noticed I can now 'like' these tracks for facebook through the iTunes store...

Exactly, why release them @ 9:30am and have another announcement at 10?
post #15 of 378
The free concert video is worth a watch. It's amazing to see the reactions of people (especially women) to rock and roll back when it was new.

I can't imagine such hysteria to even the biggest stars of today.
post #16 of 378
No announcement has been made and people are already giving their verdict?

This is the problem with guessing what's coming - why not sit back and see what is coming?

I've already noted full facebook integration with the iTunes store that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before...

EDIT.

LOL -announcement made - now you can be disappointed!

post #17 of 378
Quote:

No announcement has been made and people are already giving their verdict?

This is the problem with guessing what's coming - why not sit back and see what is coming?

I've already noted full facebook integration with the iTunes store that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before...

Facebook integration has been there for several months since PING and iTunes 10 were introduced.
post #18 of 378
What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!
post #19 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Facebook integration has been there for several months since PING and iTunes 10 were introduced.

Thought it had all disappeared again following Apple's overly eager introduction of the links..?
post #20 of 378
Quote:

Thought it had all disappeared again following Apple's overly eager introduction of the links..?

The "like" buttons have always remained..
post #21 of 378
Good for Steve. I am sure that this is a major personal musical accomplishment for Apple.
post #22 of 378
Beatles on iTunes is very bit news indeed. The largest band in history just went digital.
post #23 of 378
The Beatles sold over 3 and quarter million albums last year.

I would hazard to guess that more than 10 million of their songs will be bought on iTunes by the end of the month.
post #24 of 378
Quote:

What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!

Ditto. Especially since all the genuine fans bought the remasters when they come last year.
post #25 of 378
I am disappoint
gl
gl
post #26 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

*meh*

Ditto. Money talks - it was only a matter of time. Still find the CDs cheaper used out there...
post #27 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The Beatles sold over 3 and quarter albums last year.

I would hazard to guess that more than 10 million of their songs will be bought on iTunes by the end of the month.

There's a lot of boomers out there who are still not "comfortable" with buying CDs and ripping them. Getting their fix by buying their youth back via their iPhone should generate Apple some more money.

Where else would that money go beside an inheritance to their ungrateful offspring?
post #28 of 378

The worst… Apple Tuesday… EVER!!!

Quote:

So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page….. WTF

It may have been part of the agreement. For all we know Apple fought to get it down to being a day-before setup with no special event.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #29 of 378
Quote:

The Beatles have remained one of the best selling bands of all time.. They sold about 3.5 million albums last year and almost 1.5 BILLION albums cumulatively since their original release dates in the 60's.
post #30 of 378
What's the big deal? You could always walk into Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc, and get all the Beatles albums you want and then rip them right into iTunes.

Seriously, I just don't get it. Now I could understand if you couldn't get Beatles music anywhere else...
post #31 of 378
More in the "meh" line, but then, without The Beatles, George Harrison would have never made enough money to finance "The Life of Brian"... so: yay!

What puzzles me is that the Apple homepage still reads "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget." Is today tomorrow, or will there be another, equally exciting, development tomorrow? AC/DC? Frank Zappa? There is still so much stuff missing...
post #32 of 378
Boooooooooooooooo.

Overhype. Underdeliver. Quickly forgotten.

However, I'll call my dad, maybe he will care. Nope. He owns the CDs.
post #33 of 378
super..........

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #34 of 378
Maybe something else, too? The ability to store The Beatles songs in the cloud? I think Apple can negotiate a contract with The Beatles alone and not worry about a record company, making this the perfect launching point for their cloud initiative.
post #35 of 378
Quote:

How many did they sell the year before when they weren't pushing 2 box sets and individual releases of their remastered albums?
post #36 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the worst Apple Tuesday EVER!!!

It may have been part of the agreement. For all we know Apple fought to get it down to being a day-before setup with no special event.

I, too, am wondering if there was supposed to be some "hype" set up from the agreement or something, as we know the Beatles have been difficult about this over these past years.

But, the main thing is, how can people be disappointed? 36 Hours ago you didn't know about any of this. Its like Lewis C.K.'s bit about people who just found out about there being internet on the plane, and then its down and being pissed off. Its a good bit, btw.
post #37 of 378
Quote:

I think I know the guy who bought the quarter album...
post #38 of 378
So what's it going to take to get Apple and Apple to give us full CD quality music at 1411 kbps, I can get better quality music from torrent downloads(which I find immoral and don't engage in) originally ripped from CD's than I can from iTunes or any other legitimate online music store, I only deal with lossy audio codecs when I have no other choice, so I'm still stuck ripping my music from CD's, if Apple wants my business they had better start offering audiophiles like me some Redbook quality music.
post #39 of 378

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #40 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

The Beatles have remained one of the best selling bands of all time.. They sold about 3.5 million albums last year and almost 1.5 BILLION albums cumulatively since their original release dates in the 60's.

Yeah because the world is full of poseurs who like what they are told to like and what they think will make them cool if they say they like.
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes