or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes - Page 4

post #121 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?
Meh

Well it would consume more than $20 of my time ripping the cds and then I would have to store all those discs somewhere..
post #122 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Q: Name a dog with wings.

A: Linda McCartney! *rim shot*

Hey c'mon man. I'm obviously no McCartney or Beatles fan but there's no need to speak ill of the dead.
post #123 of 378
Quote:

Nope, because I'd rather rip them to my iTunes library in 320k or better from the actual CDs. Or at least I think that's what you were asking?

That is because you place little value on your own time while simultaneously overestimating your listening prowess .
post #124 of 378
I can understand why this is big for apple in finally getting one of the biggest bands ever onto itunes I am sure that they will dominate the downloads charts for a week or two.
This also opens up the Beatles music to the digital generation which can not be a bad thing!!

This is good for the consumer in the more bands that are available to purchase on itunes the better.

I have not bought a CD for the last five years and the more available in one store the better as far as I am concerned.

Why do people feel let down? what were they expecting? It was a web announcement not a full apple event.

Lee
macbook pro 2.9ghz 750gd hd, 8gb ram, 160gb Ipod Classic, iphone 5 32gb, ipad mini 32gb

Lee
macbook pro 2.9ghz 750gd hd, 8gb ram, 160gb Ipod Classic, iphone 5 32gb, ipad mini 32gb

post #125 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Well it would consume more than $20 of my time ripping the cds and then I would have to store all those discs somewhere..

Do 1 a day for the next 2 weeks. Not a problem. Oh wait, I've had the Beatles in my collection for years now.
post #126 of 378
Quote:

Yeah, well when Apple claims something will be unforgettable, it does kinda hype things up a bit.

There is no such thing.

And certainly not by any definition that I can find.
Quote:
hype 1 |hīp| informal noun: extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion : she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music.
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
verb [ trans. ] promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits : an industry quick to hype its products.
ORIGIN 1920s (originally in the sense [shortchange, cheat,] or [person who cheats, etc.] )

By the way, will you forget it? Or will you be one of the idiots that will continue to bring it up every time to demonstrate that Apple is not always perfect?
post #127 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Beatles on iTunes is very bit news indeed. The largest band in history just went digital.

So relative to the HISTORY OF MUSIC, this is a big deal. There's no denying that.

But relative to the economy of the digital revolution we are in today... it's small potatoes.

Let's keep things in perspective.

Thompson
post #128 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Apple's hype?

All that Apple did was announce on their web site that, "Tomorrow is just another day. That you will never forget. Check back tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

Apple didn't call a press conference. If there was any hype at all, it came from the media and the blogess sphere.

And based on the reactions so far, it would appear that it will be a day you will never forget. Good or bad.

However, there are more people on this planet that will appreciate this announcement than the idiots that continually troll here. And that will be proven by the end of the first day's sales.

Yes, saying that it is a day "you will never forget" is certainly hype. Exactly as I described, "one sentence of hype".

When Apple feeds the hype by being purposefully ambiguous and building suspense, it is only reasonable to comment on that hype. If Apple had merely announced "Beatles - Now available on the iTunes Store", you wouldn't be reading about reactions to a "day you will never forget".

Apple's advertising was clearly designed to build hype by getting people to talk about what that one sentence was referring to. And yes, we're talking about that one sentence of hype.
post #129 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Well would you look at that... forgot about it already.

For the win!!!
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #130 of 378
Anyone who says the Beatles were overrated or that either Lennon or McCartney were overrated doesn't have a clue.

They were miles ahead of anyone in terms of technological achievements. There's a lot of music today that is around because of what the Beatles accomplished in the studio. We aren't just talking lyrics (though, if you were to ask anyone who is regarded as a good songwriter will tell you that Lennon and McCartney were geniuses - I have no doubt that Dylan, Costello, Earle... will all agree).

Regardless of whether you like the music or not.
post #131 of 378
Bravo!
post #132 of 378
Quote:

Nope, because I'd rather rip them to my iTunes library in 320k or better from the actual CDs. Or at least I think that's what you were asking?

1) My reply posed a question was really an answer to those who are buying the iTS box set, as I figured your response pretty much excluded you from ever buying an album on iTS.

2) Id doubt all but some amazing few people with some amazing equipment could hear the difference between a rippedCD at 320kbps or iTS at 256kbps AAC. The only way I could see decent equipment and decent ears noticing a difference is with better than CD quality audio. Like from the failed SACD.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . CD . . . . . . SACD
. . . . . . Format: . 16 bit PCM . . . 1 bit DSD
Sampling frequency: . 44.1 kHz . . . . 2.8224 MHz
. . .Dynamic range: . 96 dB . . . . . .120 dB[1]
. .Frequency range: . 20 Hz 20 kHz . 20 Hz 50 kHz
. . .Disc capacity: . 700 MB . . . . . 7.95 GB
.Discrete surround: . No . . . . . . ..Yes
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #133 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

...but Apple never made any big announcement for them. Smells like a money-making thing to me.

Apple (or any other company) does not make announcements without a "money making" motive....

Quote:

Do 1 a day for the next 2 weeks. Not a problem. Oh wait, I've had the Beatles in my collection for years now.

Of course your response seems irrelevant to the question of why buy one over the other...Thanks for playing I guess.
post #134 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Exactly, why release them @ 9:30am and have another announcement at 10?

Because you want to make sure that everything related to people finding and buying them is working correctly before you make the announcement, so you don't have a few million people at 10:00 am finding out that there's a problem and they can't buy them yet.
post #135 of 378
Quote:

Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?
Meh

Someone over on arstechnica.com was saying that boxset is normally $165. So this is either a temporary sale by amazon to undercut or a new permanent price drop. Either way, people who want the physical discs win.
post #136 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1977 View Post

I can understand why this is big for apple in finally getting one of the biggest bands ever onto itunes I am sure that they will dominate the downloads charts for a week or two.
This also opens up the Beatles music to the digital generation which can not be a bad thing!!

This is good for the consumer in the more bands that are available to purchase on itunes the better.

I have not bought a CD for the last five years and the more available in one store the better as far as I am concerned.

Why do people feel let down? what were they expecting? It was a web announcement not a full apple event.

Well said.
post #137 of 378
Who are the Beetles?
post #138 of 378
Quote:

By the way, will you forget it? Or will you be one of the idiots that will continue to bring it up every time to demonstrate that Apple is not always perfect?

I stand by my original statement, when Apple claims something will be unforgettable, there is a certain degree of hype to it. They could have said nothing and just released all the Beatles stuff today anyway. But they didn't, they chose to grab our attention with a quick little ad that was front and center on their home page. Maybe that's not hype by the standard definition, but it got the attention of Apple fans around the world.

To answer your 2nd question, yes, I'll forget it. And no, I'm not one of those "idiots".
post #139 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Of course your response seems irrelevant to the question of why buy one over the other...Thanks for playing I guess.

The OP said it wasn't worth $20 of his time to buy the CDs and then rip them all. I said, "then rip one a day and you'll be done in 2 weeks" to suggest that it wouldn't be such a waste of time to have to go through the ripping process if they bought the CD versions. But don't let me stop anyone. They're free to get whichever version they choose. For me, that was the CDs.
post #140 of 378
Okay, Apple... I mean, really... the Beatles??!! WTF!!

I could understand it if it was Justin Bieber... but the Beatles??!!!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #141 of 378
Quote:

I stand by my original statement, when Apple claims something will be unforgettable, there is a certain degree of hype to it. They could have said nothing and just released all the Beatles stuff today anyway. But they didn't, they chose to grab our attention with a quick little ad that was front and center on their home page. Maybe that's not hype by the standard definition, but it got the attention of Apple fans around the world.

To answer your 2nd question, yes, I'll forget it. And no, I'm not one of those "idiots".

Okay. I will accept your definition for the moment. As such, I contend that you won't forget it. Why? Because most people tend to remember bad things that happened to them than good things.

Why Do We Remember Bad Things?
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...817329,00.html

But it would be nice if you used a recognized definition than making one up to suit yourself.
post #142 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Someone over on arstechnica.com was saying that boxset is normally $165. So this is either a temporary sale by amazon to undercut or a new permanent price drop. Either way, people who want the physical discs win.

Bingo. And at the same time, iTunes will expose loads of new fans to Beatles music.
post #143 of 378
I can't really understand why anyone thinks Apple "over-hyped" this. As others have pointed out, given the nature of the announcement, the place of the Beatles in modern music history, the long delay in their music being available for download, etc, etc, it seems just about the right amount of "hype" to me: an attention getting website teaser, followed, in about 24 hours by an announcement, but no "event".

I can only think that people are somehow conflating Apple's actual publicity with the blogosphere hysteria that ensued from it. (And, yes, I think criticism of them saying you'd never forget it is a bit of an overreaction.)
post #144 of 378
It will be very interesting to see what the Beatles iTunes sales will be. Given that everyone already has all their music ripped in iTunes, rationally, it should be pretty close to nil.
post #145 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

This announcement today will be more significant the older and older a person is. For many of us out here this is absolutely huge. No matter if we even buy the tunes or not. The Beatles had such an impact it may not be easy to understand by a lot of people that didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's. Now this move to iTunes will surely effect how some bands choose to go digital or to offer up songs on iTunes.

Have a fantastic day

Rick in Austin

Yeah still don't get it... the Beatles were pretty much the only band left in the world that wasn't offered up already. It's like showing up at the very end and claiming you were in on the success of the event. The Beatles have no claim here... the digital world was moving along with or without them.

In case I'm more than mildly retarded...what exactly did this change? How will this impact other songs on Itunes? Jobs would have been better off with a 'Mission Accomplished' banner hanging over him 'superimposed' into the album cover.
post #146 of 378
big news for Apple (revenue) the estates of the Beatles ($) and Steve Jobs (personal thing). A nice thing for consumers. But "A day I'll never forget"?. Don't think so.
post #147 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

Yeah because the world is full of poseurs who like what they are told to like and what they think will make them cool if they say they like.

It is also full of people who cannot witness the joy of fellow human beings and empathize. Instead they feel compelled by meanness to denigrate them. Is that the sort of world we really want to live in?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #148 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

... In case I'm more than mildly retarded...what exactly did this change? How will this impact other songs on Itunes? Jobs would have been better off with a 'Mission Accomplished' banner hanging over him 'superimposed' into the album cover.

I think you're just having trouble maintaining a sense of perspective. Think of the nature of what Apple often uses it's home page to generate publicity for, and this pretty much fits in with their usual practice.
post #149 of 378
Makes sense since most people from that era are Ipod/Ipad/Iphone users anyways.
post #150 of 378
I gotta admit, I'm a bit dissapointed. As much as I love The Beatles, I was expecting some sort of cloud iTunes or even some sort of subscription plan. Maybe I expected to much from a web announcement. \

oh well, now where's iOS 4.2!
post #151 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It is also full of people who cannot witness the joy of fellow human beings and empathize. Instead they feel compelled by meanness to denigrate them. Is that the sort of world we really want to live in?

If only we had a choice in the matter.
post #152 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think you're just having trouble maintaining a sense of perspective. Think of the nature of what Apple often uses it's home page to generate publicity for, and this pretty much fits in with their usual practice.

I did mention I was mildly retarded.
post #153 of 378
what a waste! No, the band is legendary but their music is the most saturated in the world. It ain't like we never heard a Beatles' song before.
Whatever! I'm going to play some Quakelive!
post #154 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I gotta admit, I'm a bit dissapointed. As much as I love The Beatles, I was expecting some sort of cloud iTunes or even some sort of subscription plan. Maybe I expected to much from a web announcement. \

oh well, now where's iOS 4.2!

The day is not over. By 1 or 2 PM we'll know if its today or not.
post #155 of 378
one of the worst let down from Apple recent past, after all the hype and build up we get Beatles on iTunes , lame, extremely boring
post #156 of 378
Quote:

Okay. I will accept your definition for the moment. As such, I contend that you won't forget it. Why? Because most people tend to remember bad things that happened to them than good things.

Why Do We Remember Bad Things?
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...817329,00.html

But it would be nice if you used a recognized definition than making one up to suit yourself.

I wouldn't exactly characterize what Apple announced today as a "bad" thing. But then you know me better than I do, so you must be right. BTW, why are you so hung up on my use (or misuse) of the word "hype"? I was simply just trying to point out that Apple drew attention to their little event and some people were disappointed that there wasn't more to it. That's all. What's the big deal?
post #157 of 378
I'm still amazed at how many people don't know the info contained in the quote below.

Quote:
Michael Jackson bought the publishing rights to most of the Beatles catalog, but has sold much of it to Sony Music. (There have been rumors that Jackson left his remaining stake to McCartney.) The individual Beatles still retained songwriters rights and we paid for it each time a song in the catalog was licensed.

The recordings themselves are still owned by EMI (distributors of the Beatles' recorded music), and Apple Corps Ltd, the Beatles' own company.

Actually, MJ owns only 50% of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which in turn owns most of the Beatles publishing rights. McCartney, as well as Lennon's estate still retain the songwriting rights and receive about 50% of the ongoing publishing revenues for composing the music.

According to one of Paul McCartney's biographies, Michael Jackson admired McCartney as a musician, songwriter and as a survivor in the business.

One day they met and discussed the music industry and their mutual experiences. MJ asked how he should invest his money, to which McCartney responded, "In music publishing". MJ took him at his word and bought up the shares in Northern Songs, the company founded by the Beatles, Brian Epstein and Dick James to publish the Beatles music, much to Paul McCartney's surprise (and annoyance).

Sony and Michael Jackson jointly hold rights to the Beatles music at present. As Michael Jackson has just died, it remains to be seen who will get his shares in those rights. Additionally, it should be noted that heavy debts run up by Jackson might allow another or others to step in and win his share (or a portion thereof) of those rights.
George Harrison may own his own songs; and what about Ringo?

Sony Music. Michael Jackson once owned their publishing catalog, but sold large parts of it to Sony to finance his later career and lifestyle. EMI and Apple Corps own nearly all their recordings.

Jackson put up his share of the Sony joint venture as collateral on a loan to Barclay's. I would think his creditor could take control and attempt to recoup losses through royalties. Maybe this is why there's Kidz Bop sings The Beatles now.
post #158 of 378
They put on a press conference for this? It might be the Beetles (for those are are big fans which I'm not) but this isn't all by itself news. This is a rider for something actually exciting.
post #159 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!

While that's true in my case (owning the CDs), I disagree that it's a bad announcement. The Beatles are the largest selling group in history. Their catalog still sells extremely well. There's a generation of people who simply will not purchase a CD, even if they want all the tracks. So for those people, this is an important announcement.

Apple didn't make a big deal out of it - they just posted it on the home page of iTunes. It's sites like this one that made a big deal out of it.
post #160 of 378
Apple Press Release
Quote:
The Beatles Now on iTunes

All 13 Legendary Beatles Studio Albums & Special Digital Box Set

LONDON and CUPERTINO, CaliforniaNovember 16, 2010Apple Corps, EMI and Apple® today announced that the Beatles, the most influential and beloved rock band in music history, are now available for the first time on the iTunes Store® (www.itunes.com). Starting today, the groups 13 legendary remastered studio albums with iTunes LPs, the two-volume Past Masters compilation and the classic Red and Blue collections are available for purchase and download on iTunes® worldwide as either albums or individual songs. Fans can also get a special digital Beatles Box Set featuring the Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964 concert film, a worldwide iTunes exclusive which captures the Beatles very first US concert.

Were really excited to bring the Beatles music to iTunes, said Sir Paul McCartney. Its fantastic to see the songs we originally released on vinyl receive as much love in the digital world as they did the first time around.

I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes, said Ringo Starr. At last, if you want ityou can get it nowThe Beatles from Liverpool to now! Peace and Love, Ringo.

We love the Beatles and are honored and thrilled to welcome them to iTunes, said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. It has been a long and winding road to get here. Thanks to the Beatles and EMI, we are now realizing a dream weve had since we launched iTunes ten years ago.

In the joyful spirit of Give Peace A Chance, I think it is so appropriate that we are doing this on Johns 70th birthday year, said Yoko Ono Lennon.

The Beatles on iTunesBravo! said Olivia Harrison.

The Beatles and iTunes have both been true innovators in their fields, said EMI Group CEO Roger Faxon. Its a privilege for everybody at EMI to work with Steve Jobs and with Apple Corps Jeff Jones and their teams in marking a great milestone in the development of digital music.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/16itunes.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes