or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes - Page 6

post #201 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

With headphones on, I can't tell the difference. In my car with an Infinity sound system, I can completely tell the difference.

This I don't understand. People complain about Sirius/XM sound quality. I understand on a home system. But in a car? The sound of the car itself I would think would render the argument moot. Most of us don't listen to music in our car when the car isn't running (let alone driving down the road or highway).

How loud do you play your music that you can tell the difference?
post #202 of 378
Perhaps this deal is bigger than we thought. I hadnt realized that no digital service had access to The Beatles.
http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2010...good-question/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

BTW, have you ever used the feature in iTunes where it'll convert to 128k on the fly and copy those files to your iDevices? I've seen it but haven't tried it yet. Just curious. Perhaps I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I dont listen to enough music on the go to warrant the need. I prefer to keep my files as is, which range from 256kbps AAC to ALAC at about 1Mbps. A couple years ago I replaced everything I had that was under 256kbps.

What would be nice is a way to choose a different bit rate. For instance, convert all audio to 256kbps for those using ALAC. Of course, this is more easily done by converting in iTunes and then moving your ALAC files off iTunes as backups. Still, an option would be welcome.

PS: Even the last two generations of the iPod Shuffle can play back ALAC.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #203 of 378
Are 2 kinds of People on Earth

Those who think there are 2 kinds of People on Earth

And those who know better

Can say same about The Beatles

Some are Experienced

Others were just born too late

Won't waste the time (nor AppleInsider's bits/bytes) trying to explain the Historical and Cultural Significance of The Beatles to those who don't Get It and/or Don't Care cause apparently they're recent Windoze Switchers and their brains are still full of confusion and shit.

Grasshoppers - stay on The Path - perhaps one day you'll find Enlightenment

Good Luck

And - Think Different

THAT, like Apple, is the metaphor of The Beatles - what they "represent/symbolize"

(ok, ok ... not to be a total hardass ... do a Wiki/Google search on all those listed in that TV Ad, you'll instantly learn a LOT about History and People of Significance, and probably more than you were taught at your Skool in Gumpstump USA)

post #204 of 378
We are arguing apples to oranges here. You can't hear what I hear, I can't hear what you hear. We don't have the same hearing and we don't listen to music the same way. I listen to most of my music in the car, you don't. Average headphones don't bring out all the highs and lows that excellent speakers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

This I don't understand. People complain about Sirius/XM sound quality. I understand on a home system. But in a car? The sound of the car itself I would think would render the argument moot. Most of us don't listen to music in our car when the car isn't running (let alone driving down the road or highway).

post #205 of 378
Whatever you think about the huge announcement as a way to unveil this deal, I think that the big news is the fact of an agreement at all after years of reluctance. There are some great negotiators in there along with all the other tech and design wunderkinds.
post #206 of 378
Quote:

Some cars have a silent cockpit so you don't hear all the road and engine noise. Now add an excellent sound system to that car. Could easily become the best place to listen to your music.
post #207 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

There were several clues in their message and they made it fun. Damn them for being good at marketing..

The real problem is people that over-invest themselves in forthcoming Apple announcements. It is Ok to be interested in seeing whats coming, maybe even a little excited. Getting angry because every announcement from a massive corporation does not appeal to you personally is sick and sad.

The real problem?

There is over investment on both sides of this nonsense. Fixating one one side or the other just proves that one is too personally involved to see things clearly.

Either way, it is perfectly reasonable to state an opinion that Apple under-delivered on their one sentence of hype.
post #208 of 378
Anyone not recognizing the significance of The Beatles going digital, particularly on iTunes, is really lacking cultural sense. All of the young ones on here can't comprehend that there were 300,000 (!!!!) waiting at an AIRPORT for them. They're album releases were complete cultural events, like New Years Eve, etc.

I suppose you guys are more interested in GaGa or Kanye. I pity you.
post #209 of 378
Maybe Devine's indiscretion allowed Yoko to twist SJ's arm--
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #210 of 378
Quote:

The difference is immediately obvious at normal volume even with road noise. I've been a subscriber for almost 5 years. But the sound quality still sucks. It sounds worse than any mp3 or aac file in my library.

This isn't like trying to distinguish between 128kbps and CD. The bitrate is ridiculously low per channel and it is obvious. Acceptable to many, but still obvious. For instance, talk stations sound like 32kbps mp3.
post #211 of 378
irrelevant...

Most, nay the vast majority of, people who want the Beatles music already have it.

Hardly worth the back page, much less the front page.
post #212 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post

Anyone not recognizing the significance of The Beatles going digital, particularly on iTunes, is really lacking cultural sense. All of the young ones on here can't comprehend that there were 300,000 (!!!!) waiting at an AIRPORT for them. They're album releases were complete cultural events, like New Years Eve, etc.

Significant? Sure.

A day we'll never forget? Hardly.

Everyone here will probably remember this ridiculous thread more than the significance of Beatles availability online.
post #213 of 378
The Beatles sued and basically told Apple to get out of the music business.

The Beatles/EMI conglomerate represents corporate greed to some people.

Quote:

post #214 of 378
It's spooky how contemporary the Beatles photo appears - the one on the Apple's main page.
post #215 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by michpeek View Post

irrelevant...

Most, nay the vast majority of, people who want the Beatles music already have it.

Hardly worth the back page, much less the front page.

So how many downloads would make it worthwhile?
post #216 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

But when ISN'T that true? If you're willing to go to the store, grab up a CD, come home, rip it, organize it, etc.; you can say that about anything.

OTOH, that seems like it is missing the point of iTMS.

Well, for me, it is always the case. That's why I usually buy the CDs. I order them from Amazon, they arrive a day or two later, I rip it to iTunes (organizing only takes a moment) and then update my iPod/iPhone/AppleTV, etc. And yes, I guess it is missing the point of the music store. But then, I generally don't need to have something "right now".
post #217 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

It's nice, but it takes FOREVER, I did it once with my iPod and it took like 36 hours. It was an 80 gb iPod, but still.

Wow!?! So much for that idea.
post #218 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The real problem?

There is over investment on both sides of this nonsense. Fixating one one side or the other just proves that one is too personally involved to see things clearly.

Either way, it is perfectly reasonable to state an opinion that Apple under-delivered on their one sentence of hype.

That one sentence of hype got as much attention on AI as Flash and BluRay... 216 posts and counting.

+1 for Apple.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #219 of 378
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll definitely be buying a ton of Beatles stuff to fill out my collection. I have zero interest in buying more CDs these days.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #220 of 378
Quote:

I am not into music and music history at all... Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's? How exactly are the Beatles still relevant today? What makes them so special?
post #221 of 378
Quote:

Well, for me, it is always the case. That's why I usually buy the CDs. I order them from Amazon, they arrive a day or two later, I rip it to iTunes (organizing only takes a moment) and then update my iPod/iPhone/AppleTV, etc. And yes, I guess it is missing the point of the music store. But then, I generally don't need to have something "right now".

OK, and that's obviously fine.

But wouldn't you admit that the iTMS has been at least "minimally" successful? So, obviously, a lot of people feel differently.
post #222 of 378
Quote:

But wouldn't you admit that the iTMS has been at least "minimally" successful? So, obviously, a lot of people feel differently.

That's funny, because in my earlier comment that you quoted here, I said just that (well more actually).
post #223 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

With headphones on, I can't tell the difference. In my car with an Infinity sound system, I can completely tell the difference.

I asked if you've ever blind tested yourself. That is, listened to a mix of tracks and picked out which were CD and which were 256 kbps AAC. The human brain can easily "hear" differences that aren't really there if they know there is a difference. It's the audio version of the placebo effect. I've seen lots of studio engineers try and fail this test on audio equipment that makes your car's Infinity sound system look like a transistor radio. I mean no offense to you, but until you pass blind testing, you have no idea if you can hear the difference between 256 kbps AAC and CD.

I know this personally, because it was kind of a sad day when I finally had to admit to myself that despite years of working in various types of pro-audio and studios, even with a home sound system that costs in excess of $100K, I couldn't tell the difference between a mix of FLAC and 320 kbps MP3.
post #224 of 378
Quote:

I think he has already said he agrees the iTMS being a success. It's just not his cup of tea. Actually it's very successful. Even though there are people who still "acquire" their music.

I personally buy all my music from iTMS. Except for one collection of music that I started in Europe (even though it's available on iTMS). Plus other rare things that they don't carry.
post #225 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

"Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's?"

Um, no. Unless you consider things like falling in love, feeling alone, feeling happy, etc "what was happening in the '60s" VERY few of there songs are really "about the 60s"
post #226 of 378
The connection has timed out

The server at www.apple.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
post #227 of 378

John: "iTUNES is more popular than Jesus now...."
post #228 of 378
Quote:

Um, no. Unless you consider things like falling in love, feeling alone, feeling happy, etc "what was happening in the '60s" ...

Oh, nobody does that stuff anymore.
post #229 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Oh, nobody does that stuff anymore.

by the looks of this thread, you may well be right, at least when it comes to "being happy"
post #230 of 378
Quote:

I am not into music and music history at all... Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's? How exactly are the Beatles still relevant today? What makes them so special?

It's a fair question. Good art must be specific to its own time to be successful. Great art must transcend the specificity its own time to become universally relevant on some level. That's why great paintings and plays from centuries past retain the power to move people today.

It's probably too early to have the necessary perspective to judge the Beatles "great" at this point, but many clues point in that direction. Time will tell.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #231 of 378
Quote:

...even with a home sound system that costs in excess of $100K, I couldn't tell the difference between a mix of FLAC and 320 kbps MP3.

I don't recall where I heard it, but there was a comment that most people couldn't tell the difference between 320k MP3/AAC files and the actual uncompressed CD file. I'm not sure that I agree or not but for listening to my iPod in my car, 320k sounds good enough for me.
post #232 of 378
Quote:

That's funny, because in my earlier comment that you quoted here, I said just that (well more actually).

Yes you did. Sorry -- got lost in the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I think he has already said he agrees the iTMS being a success. It's just not his cup of tea. Actually it's very successful. Even though there are people who still "acquire" their music.

I personally buy all my music from iTMS. Except for one collection of music that I started in Europe (even though it's available on iTMS). Plus other rare things that they don't carry.

I buy everything -- mostly -- from iTMS. It's just easier, and I get some urge to buy some new album buy whomever at 3am, and in a couple of minutes, I have it. There's some opera and other things that I still buy in CD form.

But I am seriously considering getting this complete Beatles set from iTMS.
post #233 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What's the big deal? You could always walk into Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc, and get all the Beatles albums you want and then rip them right into iTunes.

Seriously, I just don't get it. Now I could understand if you couldn't get Beatles music anywhere else...

Nerds will remain nerds...
post #234 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.
What a waste of time.

Quote:

Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's? How exactly are the Beatles still relevant today? What makes them so special?

Actually, rock in the early '60's was dying out -- with Chuck Berry in jail, Elvis in the Army and Jerry Lee Lewis in scandal -- and the Beatles completely revitalized it. Over an eight year period they were pioneers in...

- Performers writing their own songs
- Songs with more than three chords
- Songs more than three minutes long
- Multi-track recording
- "Studio only" projects
- Independent record labels

...without which it's hard to imagine rock and roll existing today.

I'd say other elements like the use of psychedelic drugs and the introduction of Eastern themes and instrumentation were essential to '60's culture but less so today.
post #235 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I can't really understand why anyone thinks Apple "over-hyped" this. As others have pointed out, given the nature of the announcement, the place of the Beatles in modern music history, the long delay in their music being available for download, etc, etc, it seems just about the right amount of "hype" to me: an attention getting website teaser, followed, in about 24 hours by an announcement, but no "event".

I can only think that people are somehow conflating Apple's actual publicity with the blogosphere hysteria that ensued from it. (And, yes, I think criticism of them saying you'd never forget it is a bit of an overreaction.)

However, are you saying that Apple should be surprised by fact that people ran with this? Apple has spent years creating a situation where people are desperate for information so that they (Apple) can capitalize on the free promotion. You can't then give them a pass and say it was the rest of the world's fault. This is why our justice system has standards like "reasonable expectation." No, Apple didn't do most of the hyping, but they certainly released the information with an expectation that it would create a flurry of interest, mainly because their secrecy has created and environment of information deficiency. Unfortunately, it backfired on them this time. Sorry, I'm not giving Apple a pass on this.
post #236 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll definitely be buying a ton of Beatles stuff to fill out my collection. I have zero interest in buying more CDs these days.

As is evidenced by the continual yearly decline in CD sales, you aren't the only one.

Right now, we have still a choice, i.e., CD's or iTunes. However, our children won't.
post #237 of 378
Quote:

Yes you did. Sorry -- got lost in the conversation.

Don't sweat it. It's all good.

Quote:

I buy everything -- mostly -- from iTMS. It's just easier, and I get some urge to buy some new album buy whomever at 3am, and in a couple of minutes, I have it. There's some opera and other things that I still buy in CD form.

But I am seriously considering getting this complete Beatles set from iTMS.

You know, I would love to buy all my music from the iTMS, I just wish they would step up one more level in bit rate. Perhaps when iDevices have a bit more memory, they'll switch to 320k. The only thing that concerns me, like when they switched to 256k, is that they'll charge us again to "upgrade" to the higher quality.
post #238 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

However, are you saying that Apple should be surprised by fact that people ran with this? Apple has spent years creating a situation where people are desperate for information so that they (Apple) can capitalize on the free promotion. You can't then give them a pass and say it was the rest of the world's fault. This is why our justice system has standards like "reasonable expectation." No, Apple didn't do most of the hyping, but they certainly released the information with an expectation that it would create a flurry of interest, mainly because their secrecy has created and environment of information deficiency. Unfortunately, it backfired on them this time. Sorry, I'm not giving Apple a pass on this.

I don't see how it backfired. Or why you are so bitter.
post #239 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Are 2 kinds of People on Earth

Bubble Butts and Needle Butts

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #240 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

John: "iTUNES is more popular than Jesus now...."

Make that, Jobs:iTunes more popular than the Beatles now!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes