or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes - Page 7

post #241 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Ii got the first comment in on St. Pepper on the UK store. Said it was cr*p.

How mature!

This is important for iTunes as it is the only place to buy digital downloads of the music.
Also they are still big sellers, accounting for 10% of EMI's sales in the USA last year.
post #242 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Actually, rock in the early '60's was dying out -- with Chuck Berry in jail, Elvis in the Army and Jerry Lee Lewis in scandal -- and the Beatles completely revitalized it. Over an eight year period they were pioneers in...

- Performers writing their own songs
- Songs with more than three chords
- Songs more than three minutes long
- Multi-track recording
- "Studio only" projects
- Independent record labels

...without which it's hard to imagine rock and roll existing today.

I'd say other elements like the use of psychedelic drugs and the introduction of Eastern themes and instrumentation were essential to '60's culture but less so today.

Pretty much covers it!

Though, if you can bar an F -- you can play any chord!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #243 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Don't sweat it. It's all good.

Thanks.

Quote:
You know, I would love to buy all my music from the iTMS, I just wish they would step up one more level in bit rate. Perhaps when iDevices have a bit more memory, they'll switch to 320k. The only thing that concerns me, like when they switched to 256k, is that they'll charge us again to "upgrade" to the higher quality.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade either, to be honest. But, like you, I don't want to have to pay for it. I mean, I sort of get their point; but then, I already paid for it!
post #244 of 378
Big deal. Who actually buys music anymore, especially music full of DRM?
post #245 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

...and this is the first time they are selling their music digitally? Wow, they are stupid too. Hopefully no one buys their music on iTunes. They think they are sooo special. Fuck the Beatles.

And your contribution to the world of music is what exactly?
post #246 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Big deal. Who actually buys music anymore, especially music full of DRM?

you do realize that the iTMS doesn't have DRM anymore, right?
post #247 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

rtm135 didn't rtm
post #248 of 378
Quote:

No, I don't think he does.
post #249 of 378
Sorry, but while I understand the historical relevance of the beatles (I mean people lost their mind over these guys in the 60's) from the stand point of just being part of history, I think they have always been overrated. Not saying their music is not well written and note worthy, but the hysteria that surrounded them back then and the hype they get today I think is overrated.
post #250 of 378
For Apple, it's kind of like a personal victory and for everyone else, eh. I mean c'mon, if yur a fan you either bought the CDs by NOW or downloaded illegally to spite the fab four.
post #251 of 378
Yawn........Now the" Stones" ..that's a group...and there still alive....kinda
post #252 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Sorry, but while I understand the historical relevance of the beatles (I mean people lost their mind over these guys in the 60's) from the stand point of just being part of history, I think they have always been overrated. Not saying their music is not well written and note worthy, but the hysteria that surrounded them back then and the hype they get today I think is overrated.

I was born mid 60s so by the time I knew what was going on Beatlemania was done and dusted. However I enjoyed the 70s listening to all the artists influenced by the fab four and believe me that was a diverse mixture covering many Genre.

The 80s not so good and the 90s to present day listening to music from the 70s.

That's the significance of how influential the Beatles were. Same could be said for Hendrix, the Who, etc.. I'm not a Beatles fan and own not one single track but appreciate the history.

Now we have the X Factor, pop idol, lady GaGa. Oh how we need another Beatles.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #253 of 378
*Yawn* But completely expectable.
I love how a handful actually expected something like lossless tracks.

Awesome news for many people, however, and that's great.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #254 of 378
Untrue. I recently bought a music video just to see if it was locked down and it was.

Quote:

You sheep missed the point. DRM or not, no one buys music anymore.
post #255 of 378
Quote:

Untrue. I recently bought a music video just to see if it was locked down and it was.

No we got the point, the point is you are a troll and an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. Point well taken! Peace and Love, Peace and Love!
post #256 of 378
Apple , you must have been joking with me , you disappointed me so much today that I will never forget !!!
post #257 of 378
After thinking about it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that Mr Jobs is really a genius.

Who, but a genius could have devised such a stupid, over-hyped way of introducing the recordings of the world's most stupid, over-hyped band to their tone-deaf, dance-impaired fans.

The fans will think that Apple is making a big deal about the "band," while the rest of us can see that Apple is mocking the band.

Brilliant.
post #258 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

hysteria and hype are always overrated, by definition, whatever the era. look at today's hysteria and hype topics ... it's everywhere. yuck.

but you take them out of context, and context is what makes history. you could certainly say the same of Elvis. the importance of both is they represented cultural era breakthroughs in the global public mind, and that opened the door to a whole new wave of not just musical expansion but social as well. they were just symbols, yes, but symbols are essential to consummate change. someone has to play the role ...

as pop song writers - which was really their music category, not "rock" - lennon/mccartney are up there with the other 20th century masters someplace. you can debate the ranking ...

what we are seeing today is a first class job of marketing still-potent memories. i was wondering what will be the total sales over the holidays. there might be 100 million Beatle fans worldwide, and they might buy an average of one album/10 songs each. that would total a gross of $1.4 billion. with actual costs - mainly advertising - of just a few %, there will be a lot of loot to split up.

and by the time Apple's exclusive ends whenever next year, probably 80% of the potential sales will have been made, leaving just leftovers for all the others. slick business on Apple's part.

btw, Apple is also smartly using the Beatles to showcase its iTunes LP and Ping features.
post #259 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I wouldn't mind an upgrade either, to be honest. But, like you, I don't want to have to pay for it. I mean, I sort of get their point; but then, I already paid for it!

And not only did we already pay for it, but we probably already paid as much as we would have for the CD. So, having to pay even more for the upgrade would be a really tough sell.
post #260 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Apple , you must have been joking with me , you disappointed me so much today that I will never forget !!!

Yes. If only they had delivered the teleportation machine to your house!
post #261 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

what we are seeing today is a first class job of marketing still-potent memories. i was wondering what will be the total sales over the holidays. there might be 100 million Beatle fans worldwide, and they might buy an average of one album/10 songs each. that would total a gross of $1.4 billion. with actual costs - mainly advertising - of just a few %, there will be a lot of loot to split up.

and by the time Apple's exclusive ends whenever next year, probably 80% of the potential sales will have been made, leaving just leftovers for all the others. slick business on Apple's part.

btw, Apple is also smartly using the Beatles to showcase its iTunes LP and Ping features.

Interesting analogy. The phrase "killing two birds with one stone" springs to mind.
post #262 of 378
That is the biggest hype for nada. Sure it is cool to have the Beatles, but really? Overhype, under deliver. I am a HUGE Apple fan, but this was a HUGE let down.
post #263 of 378
As if Beatles fans don't already have most of their discography...woo hoo Beatles are now on iTunes, the world will never be the same

I love Apple, but this was beyond anti-climactic
post #264 of 378
Quote:

Hey!! Don't mock the man! His very life hinged upon Apple's announcement this morning. Things will never ever be the same for him again.

It's sad, Apple, that you can damage people's lives so much and get away with it!! Sad...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #265 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why would you want Redbook? Why, only the other day, some people with "golden ears" told me right here in this very forum that CDs are lossy and vinyl will always be the way to go.

Vinyl is lossy, very very lossy. Anyone who claims to have "golden ears" typically doesn't. It's not a professional term, term is used exclusively for older, overweight men to make themselves feel superior to other music shoppers and consumers.

Redbook audio is no different than whats on pressed CDs, its just a list of technical standards for pressing discs that are compatible with players. There is no magic. CD specs exceed vinyl, greater frequency range (vinyl has a huge lower frequency roll-off), and most importantly the signal to noise ratio is pitiful on vinyl, and aside from buffer skipping - mechanical noise from the reading mechanism isn't a problem.

So how does vinyl get this reputation?
1. You can make it sounds like a digital washboard, which has nothing to do with its audio integrity, but made it popular with people who wear their baseball caps the wrong way.
2. Handling 12 inch discs is more visible part of the show than barely 5 inch discs across a club if you're a disc jockey.
3. People who believe in magic.

Spectrograph beats any ear. It also lacks those pesky feelings & emotions that do terrible things for objectivity and reasoning. Like whatever format and music you want, just stop trying to claim magical powers about a medium you don't understand.
post #266 of 378
I love it. For years people here and elsewhere have gone on and on and on and on about how the iTunes Music Store can't be taken seriously as long as they don't carry The Beatles. Now they announce that they're carrying The Beatles and the reaction by many of these same people is "how can anyone take this seriously?"

Amazing. People just LOVE to complain, don't they?
post #267 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The worst Apple Tuesday EVER!!!

I figured it out. The reason this will be "unforgettable" is because it was indeed the worst Apple Tuesday ever!
post #268 of 378
This is my very first post.
At last The Beatles have arrived on iTunes.
Now to all the complainers of this announcement, why the negativity, does it ALWAYS have to involve monetary gain ? Cannot you be satisfied with this news.
Simple, if you are not a fan, then don't post (why should you), if you are a fan, like me, then post away if you like. If you are someone expecting a different announcement from this one, hold back your frustrations, chill for 10m seconds before hitting the send button.
Remember The Beatles are not our enemies, only the M$/Google evil axis is, let us vent our spleens at them, and save our energies for another battle for another day.

Quote for today "Go outside and look up at the night sky (if its dark), spot a shooting star and marvel at what you can see by doing the simple"
post #269 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I'm still amazed at how many people don't know the info contained in the quote below.

And I'm still amazed at how many people don't understand the intricacies of the different types of rights in the music business.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

Michael Jackson owned 50% of the publishing rights. Publishing rights are normally held by music companies like Sony and Universal, not artists, and are commonly granted by contract as "payment" for the production, promotion, distribution, etc. of an album. Michael Jackson's publishing rights essentially gave him the right to cash royalty checks. It's an investment that confers very little power over the works themselves. Record companies rarely sell these rights; it's essentially like having a money tree as long as the album continues to experience a good sales volume. These only got "in the wild" when Northern Songs (the original publishing rights holder) was acquired in 1969 by ATV, and the catalog was sold again in 1984 to Michael Jackson.

Lennon and McCartney have always maintained the songwriting rights to their own material, which are generally held by artists and not music companies.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #270 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I realize this is a troll, just curious of the logic on how the Beatles almost destroyed rock n roll.

"like, everybody's always talking about how great the beatles are, but they SUCK! they RUINED music!" -butthead c. 1994
post #271 of 378
Quote:

Laughable how you now try to cover up the fact that you originally had no idea what you were talking about.

Your original quote was referring to the release of The Beatles catalog and you said "who buys music anymore, especially music full of DRM?" Yes, videos may have some DRM, but music on the iTMS doesn't. What in the world would videos having DRM have to do with the release of The Beatles catalog, none of which has any DRM?

Fewer people buy music, yes. But lots of people still buy music. Especially The Beatles. And especially on the iTMS. Now those two things are brought together, and I'd be willing to bet quite a few tracks get sold in the upcoming months. New kids will buy a few things. Older people who have The Beatles on vinyl or tape will probably buy some stuff. Fans that aren't super fans will fill in some gaps in their collection. Again, this is just like when Beatles 1 came out and sold a TON.
post #272 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hey!! Don't mock the man! His very life hinged upon Apple's announcement this morning. Things will never ever be the same for him again.

It's sad, Apple, that you can damage people's lives so much and get away with it!! Sad...

You're correct, of course. I should have been more concerned for his welfare.
post #273 of 378
I am astounded at the criticism of Apple for "overly hyping" this announcement, then failing to live up to it. We're talking about 3 or four cryptic lines on a splash page for a couple of days. They could have hardly hyped it any less. Maybe a press release after the fact? You'd think they'd rented Albert Hall and invited the Queen. Come on critics, a little proportion, please.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #274 of 378
Quote:

He's called out, proven wrong and put in an indefensible position. So all that's left is to lash out and call the other guy a sheep. Yeah, it's pathetic, but completely predictable. I mean, what, you expected him to be a man and admit he was wrong?

And the 'no one buys music anymore' bit - that's just SAD. Yeah, people buy millions of iPods and iPhones each year so they can NOT put music on them. Yeah, that's what's happening. The iTunes store must be a ghost town, no one's going there. Apple must be going broke. This clown isn't clueless.
post #275 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

And your contribution to the world of music is what exactly?

That's okay, 40 years from now no one will respect or care who he is either
post #276 of 378
Pricing is even more of a joke in Australia...$259 for the box set are they trying to promote buying elsewhere.
post #277 of 378
Quote:

I ordered a teleportation machine. But they had problems delivering it.
post #278 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am astounded at the criticism of Apple for "overly hyping" this announcement, then failing to live up to it. We're talking about 3 or four cryptic lines on a splash page for a couple of days. They could have hardly hyped it any less. Maybe a press release after the fact? You'd think they'd rented Albert Hall and invited the Queen. Come on critics, a little proportion, please.

See, that's what I don't get at all.

Anyways, I'm listening to Abbey Road right now, since I d/l-ed the whole thing.
post #279 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

They're generally the shape of a policeman's box. Don't you watch Doctor Who?!
post #280 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

You must have ordered the white one.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes