or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes - Page 8

post #281 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

...and this is the first time they are selling their music digitally? Wow, they are stupid too. Hopefully no one buys their music on iTunes. They think they are sooo special. Fuck the Beatles.

Hey, I know! Let's get all foaming at the mouth over this and take our Beatles records to collection centers and stomp on them and light them on fire and, and, and...

Oh wait....
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #282 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

more in the "meh" line, but then, without the beatles, george harrison would have never made enough money to finance "the life of brian"... So: Yay!

Very good point indeed
post #283 of 378
So... when is the big announcement gonna come? You know, that one they said was supposed to be today?
I love my iPod touch!!!
I love my iPod touch!!!
post #284 of 378
It is a great announcement. All you self righteous a-holes with your misguided sense of entitlement nobody told you that the announcement was gonna excite each and everyone of you. All that was promised was that it would be a day you'll never forget and IMO whether you're happy or disappointed Apple delivered on that promise. SJ is a Beatles fanboy, get over it.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #285 of 378
Well I for one am really pleased to see the Beatles on iTunes and can't understand all the negative Apple reaction ... Just downloading now the complete set to the imac ready for streaming to the Apple TV ... Thanks Steve ... Glad that the fab four are finally onboard!
post #286 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Seriously, I could have went down the street to the dollar store and gotten any Beatles album...

You could also take the CD you bought for a dollar, insert it into your computer and have iTunes rip it! This announcement was no announcement...
post #287 of 378
And it sucked so bad, there are what 8, 9 10 pages of comments?

There aren't many bands that don't owe something to the Beatles and bands that followed after them.

And most of that great music is now available on iTunes, yes it is a great day. Another wall of sorts has been knocked down.

Skip

PS It will be hard for Steve and company to get folks to excited in the near future because of this LOW key announcement.
post #288 of 378
press over the years. And a ton of comments here today.

Hell Rick Wakeman (the keyboardist for Yes), has done 97 Albums solo, and ANOTHER 34 with Yes, and other band. That's what, some 130+- Albums and no big deal about him.

Hell that might be some kind of record (sorry about the pun there).

Skip
post #289 of 378
What else is not important?

Nirvana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Cobain): The Beatles were an early and lasting influence on Cobain; his aunt Mari remembers him singing "Hey Jude" at the age of two."My aunts would give me Beatles records," Cobain told Jon Savage in 1993, "so for the most part [I listened to] the Beatles [as a child], and if I was lucky, I'd be able to buy a single." Cobain expressed a particular fondness for John Lennon, whom he called his "idol" in his posthumously-released journals, and he admitted that he wrote the song "About a Girl," from Nirvana 1989 debut album Bleach, after spending three hours listening to Meet the Beatles.

Oasis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_(band): Oasis were most heavily influenced by The Beatles, an influence which was frequently labelled as an "obsession" by the British media.

Others (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bea...ular_culture):

Other artists having a Beatlesque musical style
The Redwalls
The Apples in Stereo
Blur
Coldplay
The Jam
Klaatu
Cheap Trick
The Chords
Crowded House
Downhere
Michael Jackson
The Doors
Locksley
Simian
The Smithereens
The Smiths
The Verve
Tears for Fears
The Knickerbockers
Emitt Rhodes
Les Fradkin on his two George Harrison tribute CD's: Something for George and Love You 2
Harpers Bizarre
Jet
Snow Patrol
Travis
The Bangles
Nirvana (band)
Elliott Smith
Splitsville, particularly on their Beatles/Beach Boys tribute, The Complete Pet Soul
Tally Hall
Czerwone Gitary
The Eraserheads
Orange and Lemons
The Aerovons[18]
Rooney
Led Zeppelin
Tori Amos credits The Beatles for her decision to abandon becoming a concert pianist and embracing rock instead. She has performed many concert covers of The Beatles including "Let It Be", "Something", "With a Little Help from My Friends", "She's Leaving Home" and "Imagine."
Queen
The Vines
House of Heroes
the brilliant green
Panic At The Disco
Relient K
The Young Veins created in 2009 by former Panic! at the Disco band members.
Green Day, particularly the song "Last Night On Earth" off their 2009 album, 21st Century Breakdown.
Stone Temple Pilots, particularly the song "Lady Picture Show."
The Pillows
U2
post #290 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

Sarek,

This announcement today will be more significant the older and older a person is. For many of us out here this is absolutely huge. No matter if we even buy the tunes or not. The Beatles had such an impact it may not be easy to understand by a lot of people that didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's. Now this move to iTunes will surely effect how some bands choose to go digital or to offer up songs on iTunes.

Have a fantastic day

Rick in Austin

Exactly!
I am not going to buy any of this. But it is so symbolic - one of the most significant and influencial groups of 20th century coming to the iTunes, or should I say to digital world (officially). (And I don't care that there were special USBs...).
post #291 of 378
Ugh I'm kind of pissed off this was the BIG announcement. I mean, Beatles aren't even that artistic for christ sake! They are just a boy band that never lost their fan base. Their music is pretty basic and lyrics are pretty nonsensical most of the time. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they suck just that there are way more talented artists that iTunes has had on their roster for a long long time i.e. John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Miles Davis etc. But I don't a huge fanfare for them when they came to the store or when they get a new album released. Beatles is just one band, I understand Steve likes them but seriously way to let people down and piss people off. I'm not interested in the flipping Beatles. Definitely one of the most overrated bands in existence.
Late 2008 Unibody MacBook
32GB iPad Wifi+3G
16GB iPhone
Late 2008 Unibody MacBook
32GB iPad Wifi+3G
16GB iPhone
post #292 of 378
Prescinding temporarily for the moment from what either your own musical or business interests/preferences are, several facts are undeniable:

1) Serious students of music of nearly every genre continue to study the work of the Beatles for many reasons including but not limited to their use of song form and compositional (melodic) brilliance.

2) Professors of English and/or Composition require some of Lennon & McCartney's lyrics to be studied by college students in college anthologies or textbooks illustrating poetry (or lyric) as an art form along with work from William Shakespeare, Walt Whitman, and countless others.

(In fact, some would even include a few of Harrison's lyrics, for example, "Here Comes the Sun".)

3) In whatever field, great art transcends epochs or historical time periods. For instance, one small example would be that some of the finest work of the Beatles often is comprised of a lyric and a melody that in and of themselves can stand apart from each other.

When you then consider the marriage of the lyric and melody with each other you know you are in the presence of genius.

4) The Beatles both understood, mastered, then executed song form. Their individual and collegial (collaborative) gifts as musicians and artists enabled them to produce a body of work that not only endures, but perdures.

5) As with William Shakespeare or even Stephen Sondheim, the Beatles are certainly not everyone's "cup of tea". But that does not subtract from the genius that their particular body of work represents, depicts, or "illustrates" as evidenced not only by continued interest in and enjoyment of their work, but also how many have "covered" their music.

In conclusion, maybe we can leave it to students of business or marketing to analyze the strategy, motive, or even effectiveness of this joint decision. Or we can leave it to ourselves at this site or in other forums.

But let us not confuse or equate whatever our beliefs or opinions are about this decision with that perduring body of work left to us by four young men from Liverpool known as the Beatles.
post #293 of 378
Where's my iOS 4.2 for iPad?
post #294 of 378
Does any one thinks about how many hard work for Apple was it to get it to iTunes?
And let me ask - what should it has been in order not to disappoint so many people? Tell me! And if you think that the word "exciting" used in a text on Apple's side was an exaggeration - you misinterpret then what the magical revaluation is, boom.
Of course there are many other, and even (arguably) more talented, bands. Were and are they so influential.

Not a fan and don't have any songs (CD or mp3/flac).
And I still think this is a great news - after years bringing it to digital world.

P.S. For those of you who say that this news is worse than if it would have been a 4.2 for their iPads - let me tell "one more thing": a new iPad (2nd generation) is coming soon. You didn't know it? "That's so simple", even you could have guessed it....

P.P.S. Just listens to a couple of previews. Such great music, so good memories.
Of course All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.
And knowing it, I am still continuing to enjoy them.
post #295 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Big deal. Who actually buys music anymore, especially music full of DRM?

Quote:

Untrue. I recently bought a music video just to see if it was locked down and it was.

You sheep missed the point. DRM or not, no one buys music anymore.

The people who buy music are the people who enjoy music and are mature enough to realize that if artists, producers, janitors, etc do not get paid, many (not all) people will simply stop making music. Most people still believe that people who do good work deserve to be compensated for it. You have the right to feel differently, the rest of us have the right to recognize you for what you are.
post #296 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The people who buy music are the people who enjoy music and are mature enough to realize that if artists, producers, janitors, etc do not get paid, many (not all) people will simply stop making music. Most people still believe that people who do good work deserve to be compensated for it. You have the right to feel differently, the rest of us have the right to recognize you for what you are.

Exactly. They just steal...
And all haters, and all negative people and their comments....
"Let THEM be".
post #297 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!

This will probably come of as a personal "attack" on your post, but I don't mean it that way .... let me explain.
When I think of The Beatles I think of the type of music they made. We all know how successful and influential they were. We all know how they would "push the envelope' in their recording techniques .... the various instruments they would use, the chord structure ... the whole idea of a "concept album" that today we take for granted .... but what I remember the most, for the most part, is the constant theme of love, peace and happiness. From the "bed-in" in Toronto, to the many meaningful positive messages in their songs, they almost always championed peace and love.

From "Something":

Something in her smile she knows
That I don't need no other lover.
Something in her style that shows me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how.

"The Word"
Say the word and you'll be free
Say the word and be like me
Say the word I'm thinking of
Have you heard the word is love?
It's so fine, It's sunshine
It's the word, love
In the beginning I misunderstood
But now I've got it, the word is good

Fast forward to some top selling songs of today

Lil Wayne .... "Right Above It "

Now tell me how you love it
You know you at the top when only heavens right above it
We on
Its Young Money, motherfucker
If you aint runnin wit it, run from it, motherfucker, all right

Now somebody show some money in this bitch
And I got my Bs with me like some honey in this bitch, ya dig?
I got my gun in my boo purse
And I dont bust back, because I shoot first

Obviously, this is just an example and I'm sure that if I looked hard enough I could find "positive message" songs today as well.
But it seems to me that today a large portion of the popular media glorifies anger, violence and a whole raft of negative messages, and this is being soaked up by the young consumers.

Case in point ... your post.
There were 3 possible replies you could have made to the Beatles story today:

One: You are not interested in them being on iTunes ... so no reply at all.
Two: still not interested so post a reply that says , essentially, not for me but if you like them, go for it.
Three: your post ... "What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!"

It's interesting (and sad) to me, that out of two positive and one negative, and obviously angry, replies ... you would choose the negative.

My mother, bless her soul, always told me .... that if you can't say something nice ... don't say anything at all. I never realized, until after she was gone, just how important that philosophy was.

What's really sad to me is that you are probably in the majority, in this day and age ... truly a sad commentary on or society, as a whole. \
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #298 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Ugh I'm kind of pissed off this was the BIG announcement. I mean, Beatles aren't even that artistic for christ sake! They are just a boy band that never lost their fan base. Their music is pretty basic and lyrics are pretty nonsensical most of the time.

Please listen Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, White Album, Abbey Road before you say this.
post #299 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberry View Post

Please listen Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, White Album, Abbey Road before you say this.

Just don't ask him to read the lyrics...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #300 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just don't ask him to read the lyrics...

I am thirty-something and not able to witness the Beatles in 60'. But being a guitarist (with poor skill) and music lover, I can say their songs are one of the greatest cultural inheritance.

By viewing all negative comments here, probably some of them were born in 80' or even 90', I understand the meaning of Beatles in iTunes now.
post #301 of 378
by dropping the price of its beatles studio cd's to $7.99, white album, $11.99. nice comeback. really interested in the ambivalent relationship btwn apple and amazon.
post #302 of 378
Who cares, really who cares, if you wanted Beetles you already went and got Beetles.
Whoopee Doopee Du.
SJ I don't care that you finally got your fave band on board, it does nothing for me.
Really worthy of a front page announcement,media blitz and hoopla, I think not.\
post #303 of 378
seriously, they don't know squat about popular music nor the impact and influence the beatles have had on the music business worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

by dropping the price of its beatles studio cd's to $7.99, white album, $11.99. nice comeback. really interested in the ambivalent relationship btwn apple and amazon.
post #304 of 378
absolutely could not agree more. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey View Post

I love it. For years people here and elsewhere have gone on and on and on and on about how the iTunes Music Store can't be taken seriously as long as they don't carry The Beatles. Now they announce that they're carrying The Beatles and the reaction by many of these same people is "how can anyone take this seriously?"

Amazing. People just LOVE to complain, don't they?
post #305 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Of course All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.
And knowing it, I am still continuing to enjoy them.

See, Bladerunner is more memorable than the Beatles
post #306 of 378
Quote:

Big deal. Who actually buys music anymore, especially music full of DRM?

Exactly...I don't even buy my food. The 90 year old lady who lives next door gave me her keys incase something happens to her. I just go over there and open her fridge and take what I want. Same with my newspaper. The kid across the street from me is a delivery boy. Every morning when his papers get dropped off I go over there before he wakes up and take what I want. Same with my kid. My wife works at a hospital. I just went over there and took a baby I thought looked like me.
post #307 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Case in point ... your post.
There were 3 possible replies you could have made to the Beatles story today:

One: You are not interested in them being on iTunes ... so no reply at all.
Two: still not interested so post a reply that says , essentially, not for me but if you like them, go for it.
Three: your post ... "What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!"

It's interesting (and sad) to me, that out of two positive and one negative, and obviously angry, replies ... you would choose the negative.

My mother, bless her soul, always told me .... that if you can't say something nice ... don't say anything at all. I never realized, until after she was gone, just how important that philosophy was.

What's really sad to me is that you are probably in the majority, in this day and age ... truly a sad commentary on or society, as a whole. \

What's sad to me also is that Saarek chose the name of a well-respected, revered character from the Star Trek universe. Spock's father, may have been Vulcan to a tee, but at least he was respected by his people and in the end proved to be open-minded about Spock's dual nature.

This cat calling himself Saarek exhibits nothing but ignorance and disrespect with this troll post, and proves himself to be nothing more than a child.
post #308 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

See, Bladerunner is more memorable than the Beatles

Yes, said with tongue in cheek. But Blade Runner puts me to sleep during Act II, every time.
post #309 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaVeN Z ChAoS View Post

Who cares, really who cares, if you wanted Beetles you already went and got Beetles.
Whoopee Doopee Du.
SJ I don't care that you finally got your fave band on board, it does nothing for me.
Really worthy of a front page announcement,media blitz and hoopla, I think not.\

I would say that with 2 whole posts to your name you're either an astroturfer or a paid troll. But in any event, nobody takes you seriously.
post #310 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

No, not really. Blade Runner continues to put me to sleep during Act II. Even after watching it numerous times.

Blade Runner and 2001, two of the greatest movies ever made that are painfully dull, but at least Ive been able to finish Blade Runner.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #311 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberry View Post

I am thirty-something and not able to witness the Beatles in 60'. But being a guitarist (with poor skill) and music lover, I can say their songs are one of the greatest cultural inheritance.

By viewing all negative comments here, probably some of them were born in 80' or even 90', I understand the meaning of Beatles in iTunes now.

I received my first Beatle's album as a Christmas present from my Brother in December of 1963. I was 12. It was the first "album" released in Canada, Beatlemania with the Beatles. Life was honestly never the same again. The Beatles changed my life in a very positive way.

So... as you can see... I'm biased.

Bring it on...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #312 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I received my first Beatle's album as a Christmas present from my Brother in December of 1963. I was 12...

I knew your name was island hermit, but I didnt think that island was called Pangea. hehe
post #313 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Beatles on iTunes is very bit news indeed. The largest band in history just went digital.

They have been available in a digital format for years
post #314 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They have been available in a digital format for years

Its amazing that you still dont understand the basic context and usage of written language.
post #315 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its amazing that you still dont understand the basic context and usage of written language.

It's amazing that you still don't understand a simple definition. CDs are digital, that is a simple fact, just because you want to change the definition doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

Maybe you can write to IEC and ask them to change the definition?
post #316 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

If we are missing something, when was the last time that Apple was able to introduce a music service to such an wide international audience at the same time?

For example, the USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Portugal, etc.

They didn't release a music service, they just added some new albums to iTunes
post #317 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

It's amazing that you still don't understand a simple definition. CDs are digital, that is a simple fact, just because you want to change the definition doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

Maybe you can write to IEC and ask them to change the definition?

No one has changed the definition, you simply cant understand that digital is colloquial for digital download and that CD or optical is instructive enough to keep it from being confusing. Just like you get upset over iDevice and iTouch even though they arent product names from Apple. Youre anal retentive and you think that what little knowledge you do have should be expressed as pedantically as possible, but it doesnt make you correct as youve missed the point yet again that we all know the difference.
post #318 of 378
I thought iTunes sells yesteryears individual songs for $ 0,79 yesterdays for $0,99 and latest releases for $ 1,29. If that's still the case then why aren't they being sold for 79 cents?
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #319 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

What's sad to me also is that Saarek chose the name of a well-respected, revered character from the Star Trek universe. Spock's father, may have been Vulcan to a tee, but at least he was respected by his people and in the end proved to be open-minded about Spock's dual nature.

This cat calling himself Saarek exhibits nothing but ignorance and disrespect with this troll post, and proves himself to be nothing more than a child.

You're mixing me up with "Sarek" subtle spelling difference I'll give you that, still shows your own ignorance.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #320 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one has changed the definition, you simply cant understand that digital is colloquial for digital download and that CD or optical is instructive enough to keep it from being confusing. Just like you get upset over iDevice and iTouch even though they arent product names from Apple. Youre anal retentive and you think that what little knowledge you do have should be expressed as pedantically as possible, but it doesnt make you correct as youve missed the point yet again that we all know the difference.

No it isn't, just because you want it like that, doesn't change the fact that digital relates to to something being represented by a descrete value, the word digital is then followed by something else, Digital TV, Digital Music, Digital Download.

Your digital download music still has to be stored on something physical.

If you don't like this fact, then stop replying to me, I know you always want to be right, I know this is an issue with you, remember, help is available, contact your local medical professional, they can help you. If you don't want to get help, get over it, you are wrong, end of story.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes