or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes - Page 9

post #321 of 378
I agree that CDs are not considered "digital" in the true sense i.e. digital downloads.

Otherwise you could say we were in the digital age in the 70s because there were transistors and solid state.

Digital in the context of the internet and downloads means something that can be obtained via the cloud.

I'm pretty sure that physical compact discs cannot be downloaded through fibre optics. Maybe with teleporters.
post #322 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I agree that CDs are not considered "digital" in the true sense i.e. digital downloads.

Otherwise you could say we were in the digital age in the 70s because there were transistors and solid state.

Digital in the context of the internet and downloads means something that can be obtained via the cloud.

I'm pretty sure that physical compact discs cannot be downloaded through fibre optics. Maybe with teleporters.

You are confusing the physical media with the data stored on that media. A digital download still has to be stored on something physical, just like a CD, the digital music has to be stored on the disc, just like the digital movie is stored on a DVD, blu-ray or HDD etc.

But what does "the true sense" mean. Your example of "digital download" just means a download that is digital, nothing more, and it is a gross generalisation to associate everything digital with downloads.

And there were commerical digital audio recordings in the 70's, so why couldn't we have been in the digital age in the 70s?
post #323 of 378
Maybe Apple shouldn't have drummed up so much hype for The Beatles on iTunes, but the people who are buying those singles and albums certainly think different.

Right now, on the US iTunes store, there are 56 Beatles songs in the top 200, and 17 albums in the top 50 -- in less than 24 hours.
post #324 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You are confusing the physical media with the data stored on that media. A digital download still has to be stored on something physical, just like a CD, the digital music has to be stored on the disc, just like the digital movie is stored on a DVD, blu-ray or HDD etc.

But what does "the true sense" mean. Your example of "digital download" just means a download that is digital, nothing more, and it is a gross generalisation to associate everything digital with downloads.

And there were commerical digital audio recordings in the 70's, so why couldn't we have been in the digital age in the 70s?

No I'm not confusing it. Yes the data on CDs is digital (0s & 1s). Is a CD considered digital in this day and age? Nope. If you say digital download to someone they think iTunes or something similar not CDs.
post #325 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozsoo View Post

Right now, on the US iTunes store, there are 56 Beatles songs in the top 200, and 17 albums in the top 50 -- in less than 24 hours.

You do realise that that is just not possible?

According to the immature, selfish, entitletards, all Beatles fans already own all of their music.
post #326 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I would say that with 2 whole posts to your name you're either an astroturfer or a paid troll. But in any event, nobody takes you seriously.

really, that is how you determine things.
How can't you take it seriously?
There is so much hype behind 1 bands music being available on itunes.
WHy it's not like their music wasn't available else where via cd.
I would go out on a limb to say most fans of the band own a copy on some format that I'm sure by now has been put on their itunes. ---> OF course casual listeners and new fans may be drawn in, that is true.

On a personal note I really enjoy how people such as your self can try and judge others by post numbers and that make everything any one says with less than you just trolling.

you have just over 130, you were at 2 before.

Because I haven't posted much means nothing, I've been here for years, actually longer than you, and this is the 2nd go around. It's true I have not been active, but most of your posts are criticizing others so padding your numbers to make yourself feel better about your typical boring life means nothing to me.
post #327 of 378
I am a little disappointed with the Announcement as I have been hoping for Apple Lossless too and ios4.2. I have all the Beatles albums (non-remastered) and they rarely get a listen out of my 340GB of music.

I am a musician too so we cant make the argument as in previous threads about how they are amazing musicians (the beatles). I even have a song in itunes look it up under Andrew R, DX7 tunes (The DX7 is 14 bit)!!! I play several instruments and I can tell you that when I was playing in bands in the 90s, not many musicians wanted to play the Beatles. From that era far more would play Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin! The beatles weren't considered musicians and if any fellow musicians liked them it was sort of considered quirky or odd! Admittedly the 80s went through an era of virtuoso type of music such as Satriani, Steve Lukather of TOTO, Malmstein, Slash,Metallica, Eddie Van Halen, or hard rock, or exploring synths (the beatles just played around with a Moog like a toy in Abbey Rd, nowhere near as creative and inventive as what was to come with Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Jarre, Vangelis, Numan or Kraftwerk!!!)

For those that also think that the sound of 256kbs is indistinguishable from lossless, let me tell you that through apple ibuds or little speakers that might be the case, but if you own a half decent set of full range headphones (such as the Sennheiser HD555) or speakers it is a huge difference, particularly with repeated listens!!

1) M
Quote:

2) I’d doubt all but some amazing few people with some amazing equipment could hear the difference between a rippedCD at 320kbps or iTS at 256kbps AAC. The only way I could see decent equipment and decent ears noticing a difference is with better than CD quality audio. Like from the failed SACD.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . CD . . . . . . SACD
. . . . . . Format: . 16 bit PCM . . . 1 bit DSD
Sampling frequency: . 44.1 kHz . . . . 2.8224 MHz
. . .Dynamic range: . 96 dB . . . . . .120 dB[1]
. .Frequency range: . 20 Hz – 20 kHz . 20 Hz – 50 kHz
. . .Disc capacity: . 700 MB . . . . . 7.95 GB
.Discrete surround: . No . . . . . . ..Yes

I first experienced the lossy digital format in 1997 when I purchased a Yamaha 4 track mini disc in my home studio (it used ATRAC). Although fantastic at the time, it would tend to thin out the guitar & vocals as compared to a lossless format. The lossy formats also reduce bit resolution and dynamic range.

I have heard SACD and was unimpressed, it sounded very synthetic, but that might have changed over time (it was only a brief listen). Don't get confused with its 2.8224 mhz, DSD uses a different type of way to get digital data. I have downloaded 24 bit music @ 96khz and yes it is more dynamic but still sounds just as "digital"!!

With my current HD650 headphones I pick up everything, the sampling rate in Windows was set at 48k and I could hear the resampling add distortion!! I also had to turn of the sound enhancer in itunes as it was causing awful distortion. Bit perfect is what us audio purists like.

Also there is a massive difference between analogue sound and digital. But I do enjoy the convenience of listening to digital. (particularly as I dont have to get up and change a record and there is no wear & tear). I own many 70s records and even non-audiophiles friends could hear a "digital ceiling" on records that are analogue but during the recording process have had digital effects put in (usually during the 80s).

The digital sound is discrete and must guess what is in-between (error correction), also analogue sounds have been shown to produce sounds up to 100k and beyond, there is no limit.Also why do you think they remaster music that is already produced on CD???The reason why they remaster is that ADC's have improved and capture the sound more accurately. I discovered that because I couldnt understand why my vinyl version recorded on cd in 1998 through a Yamaha Promix01 sounded better than CD and I realised because the CD was using a Analogue to Digital conversion during the late 80s, it didnt sound as good!!! And they say that digital sound is perfect but yet we have to remaster everything???
post #328 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

I think what they're saying is limited isn't The Beatles being on iTunes, its the electronic files being exclusive to iTunes that's limited. ie you can't go to the Amazon mp3 store and buy The Beatles stuff.

Ok, thanks, that makes more sense.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #329 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Vinyl is lossy, very very lossy. Anyone who claims to have "golden ears" typically doesn't. It's not a professional term, term is used exclusively for older, overweight men to make themselves feel superior to other music shoppers and consumers.

Redbook audio is no different than whats on pressed CDs, its just a list of technical standards for pressing discs that are compatible with players. There is no magic. CD specs exceed vinyl, greater frequency range (vinyl has a huge lower frequency roll-off), and most importantly the signal to noise ratio is pitiful on vinyl, and aside from buffer skipping - mechanical noise from the reading mechanism isn't a problem.

So how does vinyl get this reputation?
1. You can make it sounds like a digital washboard, which has nothing to do with its audio integrity, but made it popular with people who wear their baseball caps the wrong way.
2. Handling 12 inch discs is more visible part of the show than barely 5 inch discs across a club if you're a disc jockey.
3. People who believe in magic.

Spectrograph beats any ear. It also lacks those pesky feelings & emotions that do terrible things for objectivity and reasoning. Like whatever format and music you want, just stop trying to claim magical powers about a medium you don't understand.

Just a small point to add to your excellent post. People also forget that the original audio that is discussed in all these 'golden ears' discussion was recorded using man made equipment by humans. There is no guarantee it was ever perfect to start with.

The acoustics could have been less than perfect, the mics may not have been perfect (some have very limited frequency responses and the wrong mics get used on occasions), the tape (assuming we are talking a few decades ago) may have had drop out, cables may have been miss matched, dirty connections, incorrect settings in the electronics (such as compressors), incorrect phase, phase cancellation, feedback, incorrect levels, distortion, poor mixing and on and on ... GIGO.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #330 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just a small point to add to your excellent post. People also forget that the original audio that is discussed in all these 'golden ears' discussion was recorded using man made equipment by humans. There is no guarantee it was ever perfect to start with.

The acoustics could have been less than perfect, the mics may not have been perfect (some have very limited frequency responses and the wrong mics get used on occasions), the tape (assuming we are talking a few decades ago) may have had drop out, cables may have been miss matched, dirty connections, incorrect settings in the electronics (such as compressors), incorrect phase, phase cancellation, feedback, incorrect levels, distortion, poor mixing and on and on ... GIGO.

But I think the error correction techniques and missing data between samples in the digital domain is more significant than the hearable artifacts of analogue! But analogue wears & tears and records usually only have a lifespan of 25 years so I understand the need for digital. Also being able to carry around 100s of albums in a pocket is amazing!
post #331 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

But I think the error correction techniques and missing data between samples in the digital domain is more significant than the hearable artifacts of analogue! But analogue wears & tears and records usually only have a lifespan of 25 years so I understand the need for digital. Also being able to carry around 100s of albums in a pocket is amazing!

I don't disagree, I was merely pointing out that it seems to always be assumed that we start with perfection. Having said that, with most studios, especially at the level of the Beatles, it probably was.

I also agree that lossless versions should be available via iTunes of certain material (if not all). I just dug out a load of Hi Fi equipment from the garage to listen to some lossless music on real speakers (in my case 30 year old Nightingales which have had various replacements over the years and have long since lost the acoustic foam fronts lol) as opposed to the set up I have learned to accept (the TV system via Apple TV). It is nice to hear (and feel) these sounds again.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #332 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't disagree, I was merely pointing out that it seems to always be assumed that we start with perfection. Having said that, with most studios, especially at the level of the Beatles, it probably was.

I also agree that lossless versions should be available via iTunes of certain material (if not all). I just dug out a load of Hi Fi equipment from the garage to listen to some lossless music on real speakers (in my case 30 year old Nightingales which have had various replacements over the years and have long since lost the acoustic foam fronts lol) as opposed to the set up I have learned to accept (the TV system via Apple TV). It is nice to hear (and feel) these sounds again.

I guess being an analogue & LP fan I am used to having to defend!!!!! But yeah I understand about the errors you hear with the equipment but that is usually catered for when mixing on the desk. Even the 60hz hum from guitar amps have this likable familiarity!!!But yeah I understand where u are coming from with the pursuit of perfection!
post #333 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

I guess being an analogue & LP fan I am used to having to defend!!!!! B

I understand

I guess one day we will have digital connections for our heads and avoid the analog ears
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #334 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Legendary music group The Beatles finally arrived on iTunes Tuesday, with tracks from all of the band's albums available for purchase individually or as complete iTunes LPs [updated].

The tracks went on sale just after 9:30 a.m. Eastern, before Apple's planned announcement of 10 a.m. All of the band's classic albums are now available for download, including "Abbey Road," "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul."

Full albums run $12.99 for an iTunes LP, and individual tracks are available for $1.29 each. The entire Beatles box set can also be purchased for $149.

Apple announced the arrival of the band's catalog on its website at 10 a.m., with a picture of the "Fab Four" taking up the front page. A special section of Apple's website dedicated to The Beatles was also launched.

All 13 of the band's remastered studio albums are available, as well as the two-volume "Past Masters" compilation and the "Red" and "Blue" collections. The digital box set also includes the "Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964" concert film, an iTunes exclusive.

Also available on Apple's Beatles site are five commercials heralding the debut of the band on iTunes. One clip shows the band's legendary arrival in America, before concluding with, "In 1964 they came to America, now they're coming to iTunes."

The parties involved in the deal commented on the arrival of the legendary songs from The Beatles on iTunes in a press release issued Tuesday:

"Were really excited to bring the Beatles' music to iTunes," said Sir Paul McCartney. "It's fantastic to see the songs we originally released on vinyl receive as much love in the digital world as they did the first time around."

"I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes," said Ringo Starr. "At last, if you want ityou can get it nowThe Beatles from Liverpool to now! Peace and Love, Ringo."

"We love the Beatles and are honored and thrilled to welcome them to iTunes," said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. "It has been a long and winding road to get here. Thanks to the Beatles and EMI, we are now realizing a dream weve had since we launched iTunes ten years ago."

"In the joyful spirit of Give Peace A Chance, I think it is so appropriate that we are doing this on John's 70th birthday year," said Yoko Ono Lennon.

"The Beatles on iTunesBravo!" said Olivia Harrison.

"The Beatles and iTunes have both been true innovators in their fields," said EMI Group CEO Roger Faxon. "Its a privilege for everybody at EMI to work with Steve Jobs and with Apple Corps' Jeff Jones and their teams in marking a great milestone in the development of digital music."

Media outlets first reported on Monday that Apple would announce the debut of the entire catalog of The Beatles on iTunes Tuesday. Apple had teased an "exciting announcement" for 10 a.m. Eastern, 7 a.m. Pacific.

The arrival of The Beatles on iTunes was a long and difficult road, completed more than 7 years after the iTunes Store first began selling music. Apple and the Beatles' parent company, Apple Corp, were engaged in a trademark dispute for years, before it was finally settled in 2007.

Big deal
post #335 of 378
But worth quoting the entire article?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #336 of 378
So this is what that datacenter is for?
post #337 of 378
When apple announced that it was a "day you'll never forget"... 1800+ people were viewing the iPod/iTunes/AppleTV forum!

Day after the announcement... 80 people are viewing the forum.

Even the network news was commenting on missed expectations last night. Granted, it is not a big deal at all. We can't really blame a company for hyping an announcement. But we also can't blame people for commenting when it doesn't live up to the hype.
post #338 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Lame. Anyone who loves the Beatles has ripped their CDs back in the late 1990s. This would have been a killer app for the iTunes Music Store's debut back in 2003, but for now, this is incredibly lame.

What this really is, is an overt way for Steve Jobs to say that he finally won the Apple Computer vs. Apple Corps. legal battle.

Yeah, why do we need the iTunes store at all. By everyone's logic on this board, we can just buy the CD at Walmart or download the torrents.
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #339 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I knew your name was island hermit, but I didnt think that island was called Pangea. hehe

We went uphill both ways to school avoiding lava flows and land rifting... I could tell you a thing or two, son...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #340 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

When apple announced that it was a "day you'll never forget"... 1800+ people were viewing the iPod/iTunes/AppleTV forum!

Day after the announcement... 80 people are viewing the forum.

Even the network news was commenting on missed expectations last night. Granted, it is not a big deal at all. We can't really blame a company for hyping an announcement. But we also can't blame people for commenting when it doesn't live up to the hype.

Yep. Like yesterday there were 67 members here. Today there are 6.

More important, The Beatles have taken more spots on the US iTunes Top Charts (Music Downloads), mastering 58 of the top 200 spots. Thus surpassing Glee. And that is only after one day.

I would suggest that The Beatles are in fact No. 1 on the world iTunes Top Chart list. Canada has 45 in the Top 200, but like every other country, the music selection is different.

It amazes me just how centric we are. This site rarely has more that 400 visitors at any one time, of which only 10-20 are members. And if we look at the 370 comments posted here, there are less than 50 members making them.

I still don't understand how Apple 'hyped'. There was no press release, no press conference. Most of the world, and that includes the US, weren't even aware that anything was coming. The non-technical media didn't know. Heck, none of my colleagues, clients, friends and family didn't until I informed them.

As I has stated before, The Beatles are a big thing on iTunes. Most of the world doesn't have a single playable, i.e., pleasantly listenable, song by the group. Heck, even the most mad Beatles fans don't have a playable copy or one they would, could get out or even find their old 45's, to spin the disc.

Today, we can still buy vinyl, though rare, 8-track, cassettes, 45,'s and LP's are getting rarer. CD's, well maybe today, but lets face it, tomorrow our kids only source of music will the the iTunes Store and the wannabes' here now and to come.
post #341 of 378
I HAVE NEVER HEARD SUCH DRIVEL IN MY LIFE . abunch of loser no nothing idiots who think they know ...

the beatles in a 100 ways changed the world many times .

when rubber soul / revovler came out the whole music world .\\I MEAN EVERY SERIOUS MUSICAN ALIVE LOOKED UP IN AWE WONDER

and when the greates music ever made came out
SGT PEPPER came forth every rock and roller looked away in shame ,

how dull and one sided there work seemed ""qoutes by the byrds""
look at the top 100 bands after the sgt pepper album and you see whole powerful the beatles was

interviews given by dozens of top artist attest to this from neil young to the who to the doors to the dead santana hendrix and even pink floyd . scores upon scores can redcount the exact day they first heard that album ..
the beatles gave and gave . sadly fucking ono and lnda ruined alot of it and so did herion addications

but the magic contained in almost every beatle song to me is real .

steve jobs name apple after the beatles

anyway i dont really are if you get it or not. i just want to tell all you idiots how stupid you all sound like

>>>>>>>>
from puppuy love
>>>>>>>
You're going to lose that girl
If you don't take her out tonight
She's going to change her mind
And I will take her out tonight
And I will treat her kind

If you don't treat her right, my friend
You're going to find her gone
Cos I will treat

to rock rock rock
>>>>

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
Till I get to the bottom and I see you again
Yeah yeah yeah hey

Do you, don't you want me to love you
I'm coming down fast but I'm miles above you
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer
Well you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

Now helter skelter helter skelter
Helter skelter yeah
Ooh!

Will you, won't you want me to make you
I'm coming down fast but don't let me break you
Tell me tell me tell me the answer
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

Look out helter skelter helter skelter
Helter skelter ooh

Look out, cos here she comes

And I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
And I get to the bottom and I see you again
Yeah yeah yeah

Well do you, don't you want me to make you

Helter skelter

Look out helter skelter
She's coming down fast
Yes she is
Yes she is coming down fast

>>>>>
yeayeayeay she love's you yeayea

i was there for each single released
radio station would play there top ten and 7 of them would be beatles songs

i once met georgeand joh smoking hash in central park near strawberry fields
george comment to me about so many homeless laying about

>>>>>>>
no real music storte is a real store without the fab four

itunes just made the grade

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #342 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I HAVE NEVER HEARD SUCH DRIVEL IN MY LIFE . abunch of loser no nothing idiots who think they know ...

the beatles in a 100 ways changed the world many times .

when rubber soul / revovler came out the whole music world .\\I MEAN EVERY SERIOUS MUSICAN ALIVE LOOKED UP IN AWE WONDER

and when the greates music ever made came out
SGT PEPPER came forth every rock and roller looked away in shame ,

how dull and one sided there work seemed ""qoutes by the byrds""
look at the top 100 bands after the sgt pepper album and you see whole powerful the beatles was

interviews given by dozens of top artist attest to this from neil young to the who to the doors to the dead santana hendrix and even pink floyd . scores upon scores can redcount the exact day they first heard that album ..
the beatles gave and gave . sadly fucking ono and lnda ruined alot of it and so did herion addications

but the magic contained in almost every beatle song to me is real .

steve jobs name apple after the beatles

anyway i dont really are if you get it or not. i just want to tell all you idiots how stupid you all sound like

>>>>>>>>
from puppuy love
>>>>>>>
If you don't take her out tonight
She's going to change her mind
And I will take her out tonight
And I will treat her kind

If you don't treat her right, my friend
You're going to find her gone
Cos I will treat

to rock rock rock
>>>>

Yeah yeah yeah hey

Helter skelter yeah
Ooh!

Helter skelter ooh

Yeah yeah yeah

Helter skelter

Look out helter skelter
She's coming down fast
Yes she is

>>>>>
yeayeayeay she love's you yeayea

i was there for each single released
radio station would play there top ten and 7 of them would be beatles songs

i once met georgeand joh smoking hash in central park near strawberry fields
george comment to me about so many homeless laying about

>>>>>>>
no real music storte is a real store without the fab four

itunes just made the grade

peace

You are my hero
post #343 of 378
They sound a lot like Oasis tbh.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #344 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They sound a lot like Oasis tbh.

You're a musical scholar...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #345 of 378
From the photos, a bit ugly and old for a boy band.

Skipping this one.
post #346 of 378
Quote:

Skipping this one.

Right? They dont even dance, all they do is perform music they wrote themselves. How lame is that?!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #347 of 378
Quote:

Right? They dont even dance, all they do is perform music they wrote themselves. How lame is that?!

My friend Ugly Bob performs music he writes himself. Dont mean I am going to buy it.

These beatles are not that good. Derivative of Oasis. Bad style. Bad haircuts.

Bad call Apple. Need to feature Westlife.
post #348 of 378
Quote:

Skipping this one.

The fact that they look old to you tells me all I need to know...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #349 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The fact that they look old to you tells me all I need to know...

Is there a good video where I can see them dance, or rap?
post #350 of 378
Quote:

Is there a good video where I can see them dance, or rap?

You're a genius, son... what more can I say...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #351 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're a genius, son... what more can I say...

Thanks! My mom says I am dumb as horsesh*t, but she loves me anyway!

Ill show her this.
post #352 of 378
Quote:

Ill show her this.

Mama Troll will be so proud
post #353 of 378
Quote:

That must mean your Mom is "the brains" of your family ..... leaving you as the "beauty" .... a real beauty. .....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #354 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I still don't understand how Apple 'hyped'. There was no press release, no press conference. Most of the world, and that includes the US, weren't even aware that anything was coming. The non-technical media didn't know. Heck, none of my colleagues, clients, friends and family didn't until I informed them.

When apple claimed that it was a "day you'll never forget", that was an exaggeration. It was hyperbole, aka hype.

The number of people aware of the hype has nothing to do with whether it was hype or not. With that said, it was on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, BBC,... etc. Some of those outlets even used phrases such as "the announcement didn't live up to the hype".

Why am I harping on the hype? I'll even grant that it isn't a big deal. Companies are expected to hype their products.

But else is there to talk about after yesterday's announcement? The hype turned out be more interesting than the announcement itself. Hell, this ludicrous back and forth is more interesting than the announcement.
post #355 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Hell, this ludicrous back and forth is more interesting than the announcement.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #356 of 378
Are you kidding me? seriously Apple.. I don't care if you secured digital rights to a band instead of Google or Amazon. That's just gloating. Also, how is this unforgettable? Announcing your own battery charger was more significant than this.. sometimes I wonder.
post #357 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

I don't care if you secured digital rights to a band instead of Google or Amazon. That's just gloating.

Marketing a product you wish to make money on is now reprehensible gloating?
post #358 of 378
Quote:

Marketing a product you wish to make money on is now reprehensible gloating?

This was formerly known as "marketing" and "advertising". Business schools will need to change their class names to "Gloating 101".

post #359 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Yeah yeah yeah hey

Helter skelter yeah
Ooh!

Helter skelter ooh

Yeah yeah yeah

Helter skelter

Look out helter skelter
She's coming down fast
Yes she is

I love U2...Rattle n' Hum was a good album
post #360 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It is a great announcement. All you self righteous a-holes with your misguided sense of entitlement nobody told you that the announcement was gonna excite each and everyone of you. All that was promised was that it would be a day you'll never forget and IMO whether you're happy or disappointed Apple delivered on that promise. SJ is a Beatles fanboy, get over it.

You better believe it, he's a Beatles Fanboy. SJ was just a young boy when the Beatles took over the USA and the world. It left an indelible impression on SJ and the rest of the world. He is kind of like some of you are to Apple. Only SJ is a fanatic about something other than what he does for a living, but it's extra important to him, and in contrast to many on this board, he just has better taste. He has marketed right in line with world views of the Beatles impact on recorded music history. SJ and most of the music critics in the world would agree with this.

People shouldn't be envious of the popularity and importance of the Beatles, they are what they are, the Greatest Band ever. Lets just face it.

Maybe some of you temporary music lovers ought to study music history, expand your musical reference frames, or listen to different music other than the songs within your narrow assortment of music.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes