Originally Posted by BGPu
How many did they sell the year before when they weren't pushing 2 box sets and individual releases of their remastered albums?
I can't really answer your question. And I personally was not
aware that they were pushing anything lately.
However, I would hazard to guess again that it was still in the millions.
As reported, to the question "How many albums have the Beatles have sold over"
Over 500 Million Albums...
- Search for "Best Selling Artists" or "The Beatles" at Wikipedia.com, theres the proof there.
- During the period 1964 - 1985 the answer is 75 million (74,786,835 million to be exact).
- During the period 1991 - 2008 the answer is 57 million (source: SoundScan results quoted in Randy Lewis, "Beatles' catalog will be reissued Sept. 9 in remastered versions," Los Angeles Times, April 8, 2009).
- My informed estimate is that during the period 1986 - 1990 they sold approximately 1.5 million albums per year, for a total of approximately 7.5 million.
- Thus the answer to the question is approximately 139.5 million albums since 1964.
- 1.1 billion +
UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.
It is amazing how success brings out the jealously factor.