or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes - Page 3

post #81 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't really answer your question. And I personally was aware that they were pushing anything lately.

However, I would hazard to guess again that it was still in the millions.

As reported, to the question "How many albums have the Beatles have sold over"

UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.

It is amazing how success brings out the jealously factor.

Na, looks to me that most of the users here are big Justin Bieber fans!!! Wooo Hoo, I bet you guys can't wait to get the new 50 Cent album too!!!
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #82 of 378
What a waste of time and money.
post #83 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

Watching it now. Awesome. I don't understand why people are being so negative. This is huge!

I think homer Simpson sums it up...

Oh Lisa, Its not because I don't understand its just that i don't care.

Homer Simpson
post #84 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

See the following:

I stand corrected sir.
post #85 of 378
Quote:

UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.

You need to re-read this thread.

The comments you're talking about are mostly ridiculing Apple's hype. Today is certainly not a day that we'll never forget. Forgive us for not worshiping the Beatles enough to make the sentence true for us.

This isn't to slam the Beatles or Apple. Rather, just commentary on that one sentence of hype.
post #86 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

I only deal with lossy audio codecs when I have no other choice, so I'm still stuck ripping my music from CD's, if Apple wants my business they had better start offering audiophiles like me some Redbook quality music.

Why would you want Redbook? Why, only the other day, some people with "golden ears" told me right here in this very forum that CDs are lossy and vinyl will always be the way to go.
post #87 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

I think this announcement shows how obsessed Jobs is with the Beatles and how much he likes them. Since I don't like the Beatles I can't say I much care.

And after you have built the second most valuable company in the known universe you too can make some decisions based on your likes and dislikes.
post #88 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

But, the main thing is, how can people be disappointed? 36 Hours ago you didn't know about any of this. Its like Lewis C.K.'s bit about people who just found out about there being internet on the plane, and then its down and being pissed off. Its a good bit, btw.

People here are disappointed because they're Apple fans and are always eagerly awaiting the next announcement from their favorite company. Sure, if they didn't hype this up there would have been nothing to be disappointed about, but since they did and people had all kinds of expectations, it left them disappointed when what they had hoped for didn't happen (except for those who expected it to be a Beatles announcement).
post #89 of 378
If you don't care, then your "Who Cares"post is without value. Keep your worthless comments to yourself.
There are lots of people out there making great things for the world and then there are the internet forums of pathetic pear shaped pimply face nerds sitting it out in the bushes throwing their feces at anyone who tries to do anything good.
post #90 of 378
In related news, HP released the entire Herman's Hermits catalog, and have sold out. They had planned on only 5000 downloads, but found that 5001 downloads occurred and had to shut the whole thing down. Peter Noone reported to be heartbroken.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
post #91 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Seriously, I could have went down the street to the dollar store and gotten any Beatles album...

Clever quip, but I highly doubt it. Even if so, so what?

It was not billed as a huge announcement. No press were invited to an event. Just a website with a mysterious message. The press and the Apple fans like you and I made it a big deal.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #92 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

Big f*cking deal.
So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.
What a waste of time.

I realize this is a troll, just curious of the logic on how the Beatles almost destroyed rock n roll.
post #93 of 378
I can only say one thing ... dissapointed!!!!!!

All this fuzz for nothing?

I will for sure hold my expectations next time Apple advertise to change the world!

post #94 of 378
The Beatles are great, although before my generation, and I understand Jobs' excitement about this, but I'm pretty let down today... I've been getting updates for apps on my iPad for 4.2 and multitasking for a week... I really thought that today was the day 4.2 hit. Sad face.
post #95 of 378
Big deal.
I like Beatles, but this time Apple was making waves for nothing.
Really. Big. Disappointment.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #96 of 378

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #97 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[INDENT]It may have been part of the agreement. For all we know Apple fought to get it down to being a day-before setup with no special event.

I withdrawal this comment. While Rock Band and Cirque de Soleil say that The Beatles are being pushed in new ways and the iTunes Store is part of that push, I think its more important to Apple. This is the last puzzle piece that legitimizes the iTunes Store.

I notice the iTS has ads in there. Ads I assume will be on TV starting today. Have they ever advertised an artist for that artist on iTS before? I dont think so.

Not too bad, but it unfortunate that Apple wasnt able (or perhaps willing) to get ALAC (lossless) versions for iTunes LP. Even if they were DRM protected I think this would make iTunes LPs a lot more popular than they currently are.
Amazon: The Beatles Stereo Box Set [Box Set, Original Recording Remastered List $250, Sale $129
iTS: The Beatles Box Set [iTunes LP] $149
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #98 of 378
Quote:

I can't really answer your question. And I personally was aware that they were pushing anything lately.

However, I would hazard to guess again that it was still in the millions.

As reported, to the question "How many albums have the Beatles have sold over"

The Beatles total sales estimates range between 1 - 1.3 BILLION albums.
post #99 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I realize this is a troll, just curious of the logic on how the Beatles almost destroyed rock n roll.

Ed isn't up on his bands... he believes that Gino Vannelli is the lead singer for the Beatles.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #100 of 378
Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?
Meh
post #101 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Lennon and Harrison had some talent but Paul McCartney hasn't penned a decent tune since around 1970.

Oh please, everyone knows that the real Paul Mcartney died back in the 60's and that the current one is an impostor, that explains his lack of musical talent. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W51fsg&cad=rja
post #102 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ed isn't up on his bands... he believes that Gino Vannelli is the lead singer for the Beatles.

He just wanted to STOP... and tell you what he thinks about it...

(Lyric connection, to anyone who doesn't know who Gino Vannelli is)
post #103 of 378
...and this is the first time they are selling their music digitally? Wow, they are stupid too. Hopefully no one buys their music on iTunes. They think they are sooo special. Fuck the Beatles.
post #104 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You need to re-read this thread.

The comments you're talking about are mostly ridiculing Apple's hype. Today is certainly not a day that we'll never forget. Forgive us for not worshiping the Beatles enough to make the sentence true for us.

This isn't to slam the Beatles or Apple. Rather, just commentary on that one sentence of hype.

Apple's hype?

All that Apple did was announce on their web site that, "Tomorrow is just another day. That you will never forget. Check back tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

Apple didn't call a press conference. If there was any hype at all, it came from the media and the blogess sphere.

And based on the reactions so far, it would appear that it will be a day you will never forget. Good or bad.

However, there are more people on this planet that will appreciate this announcement than the idiots that continually troll here. And that will be proven by the end of the first day's sales.
post #105 of 378
Quote:

Oh please, everyone knows that the real Paul Mcartney died back in the 60's and that the current one is an impostor, that explains his lack of musical talent. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W51fsg&cad=rja

What happens when you play the iTunes file backwards? Oh, wait...
post #106 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page.. WTF

Dont get me wrong the Beatles are great and all, but I think Steve Jobs classes them as way more important than they are to Apples bottom line, its not like Apple even makes much money out of selling music.

Now how about announcing something good like the rest of the world finally gets all of the TV shows and movies that the American customers gets at the same price (fat chance). Now that would be big or something like the Apple TV gets an app store!

Sarek,

This announcement today will be more significant the older and older a person is. For many of us out here this is absolutely huge. No matter if we even buy the tunes or not. The Beatles had such an impact it may not be easy to understand by a lot of people that didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's. Now this move to iTunes will surely effect how some bands choose to go digital or to offer up songs on iTunes.

Have a fantastic day

Rick in Austin
post #107 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.

Please IP ban this person on the grounds of music ignorance and all around douchery.
post #108 of 378
post #109 of 378
Quote:

That'd explain the robot-like pablum he's been discharging ever since Wings :lol
post #110 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?
Meh

Because you want your want to store and play them on a disk, but dont want to rip all the discs from the Box Set and dont care about physical contents of the box set?
post #111 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Ii got the first comment in on St. Pepper on the UK store. Said it was cr*p.

Wow...
You must be so proud of that accomplishment.
post #112 of 378
Quote:

Apple's hype?

All that Apple did was announce on their web site that, "Tomorrow is just another day. That you will never forget. Check back tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

Yeah, well when Apple claims something will be unforgettable, it does kinda hype things up a bit.
post #113 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

This is the most important music news of 2003.

Exactly.
post #114 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

That'd explain the robot-like pablum he's been discharging ever since Wings :lol

Q: Name a dog with wings.

A: Linda McCartney! *rim shot*
post #115 of 378
good, i'm glad this is over. now steve can get some sleep.

meh.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #116 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

The Beatles total sales estimates range between 1 - 1.3 BILLION albums.

As I quoted, the answer was 1.1+ billion.
post #117 of 378
I stood in line to buy their very first 45 rpm, memorized every lyric. Now I don't care for them. Reminds me too much of Viet Nam war and drug crazed hippies - I wish I could forget.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #118 of 378
For the first post that I've made in months... (I'm amazed that I remembered my credentials!)

I'm still quite glad to see that this has finally happened. There are some Beatles albums that I would like to have but have not been able to come by in any music retailer around these parts. (For whatever reason, I prefer purchasing music on a physical medium in a store as opposed to online.)

No matter what you might think of the Beatles, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone (young or old) on the street--whether they listen to music or do not--who does not know who the Beatles are. A lot of bands and musicians would love to have that kind of "household word" recognition.
post #119 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because you want your want to store and play them on a disk, but don’t want to rip all the discs from the Box Set and don’t care about physical contents of the box set?

Nope, because I'd rather rip them to my iTunes library in 320k or better from the actual CDs. Or at least I think that's what you were asking?
post #120 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Q: Name a dog with wings.

A: Linda McCartney! *rim shot*

Oh how funny you are.............Asshole.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes