or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad

RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad - Page 6

post #201 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

I wonder how the QNX OS compares to Mac OS X/iOS performance wise.

QNX has been running on embedded systems for a while and more then likely is more optimized.

I'd love to compare both kernel and OS designs. I'm have a feeling that the QNX OS is better designed in many respects. It doesn't take much to beat Mac OS X's messaging system,
its pretty dog slow by design. Here are some sample tests (a bit old) but interesting nonetheless:

Ubuntu vs Solaris vs Freebsd

Ubuntu vs Mac OS X

Ubuntu vs Win7 vs Mac OS X

Kernel design really effects performance. I would love to see how QNX compares.

QNX has always been touted as a high-performance microkernel. Last time I looked, they were doing context switches an order of magnitude faster than the nearest competitor (granted, I haven't looked in a while, but in the OS world things tend to get slower rather than faster as more features are added).

The real issue will be the GUI that RIM bolts on top of QNX. I'm pretty sure it's not the QNX Photon GUI (which was blazing fast and very small, but probably too feature lean for a consumer device).
post #202 of 274
And for those on here who've claimed they'd be happier if the iPad ran Flash, have you ever used Flash on a mobile device? Did the Flash in this demo impress you? It looked almost as bad as the HTML5 animation on the iPad.

Let's face it:
Flash requires brawn to be useful. Thus, it will probably never be available on an Apple mobile device. The choppy Flash animation on the PlayBook looked like dung. Of all the sites to choose, too. Yikes. Why didn't they demo a Flash game on the PB?

And regarding HTML5, Adobe recently demonstrated a dev tool they're working on that converts Flash animations to HTML5 animations. That demo was impressive. Adobe can't force mobile platform makers to use Flash. And the government won't tamper with the free market (the co-called "investigation" is just pandering).

Adobe knows HTML5 is the wave of the future. They want to be the front-runner with dev tools to make it happen. If they release an IDE to facilitate HTML5 app development (like Flash Builder, but for HTML5), I'd pay through the nose for it.
post #203 of 274
Good. The iPad's browsers (all of them) need some serious work. Whether it's true or not, the attention this brings to the iPad will cause Apple to improve things.
post #204 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Actually, QNX is very well regarded with respect to stability. One form or another of it has been around since the very early 1980s. So I wouldn't hold that fact against RIM.

BTW, I work on nuclear reactor control consoles that are powered by QNX. So I know a little bit about QNX's stability and reliability.

There are many other points you can complain about with respect to RIM's pad, but I would try the "stability and reliability" angle.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Dude, this is the kind of rigorous debate I'd like to see more often on this site! You come to the table informed, and you're reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely an Apple convert, so I have my own bias. However, the fanboy vs. anti-fanboy wars on this site get old at times, and you bypassed that queue altogether. Nice.
post #205 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Nope. AC/DC.

Actually, I think it's Garth Brooks (The biggest selling solo artist of all time). Yeah, country, ugh! But facts is facts.
post #206 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Good. The iPad's browsers (all of them) need some serious work. Whether it's true or not, the attention this brings to the iPad will cause Apple to improve things.

That's a good point. I have a hunch an improved mobile Safari has been in the works for a while, especially with the impending release of iOS 4.2.

A related thought is this:
Tablet makers engaging in comparisons with the iPad are caught in a catch-22. It brings attention to the iPad, the market leader. In other words, free advertising for Apple.

(I think this is one of the things that helped doom Borland way back in the day. They frequently took out full-page ads in dev rags compared their tools to Microsoft's, which just brought more attention Visual Studio. I was a VS developer in those days, and thought it was amusing how much free advertisement MS was getting from Borland. And I loved Borland's tools! Delphi anyone? But it was a bad marketing plan from the start. Never give free advertisement to your competitor.)
post #207 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

But Apple always comes through. They would never announce a product and then fail to ship it.

Bondai? (sp?)
post #208 of 274
Interesting how my iPad is much faster than in the video. I cleared the cache and went to the sites at the same time as the two devices and I beat the Playbook. The iPad they are using must have something wrong with it.
post #209 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I pinch and zoom all the time on my iPad as I find the text rendering on most web pages too crude and a little too small. A retina display would certainly help, but it would still be too small on some sites.

I don't know what page you visited *all the time* but when I play with my friend's iPad I rarely pinch-to-zoom while I did it *all the time* on my iPodTouch.

Beside, if 9.7" is too small for you, why do you have problem with the guy in the first place when he criticized screen size of Playbook? By your logic you should jump on the guy when the Playbook is larger, not smaller. You don't make any sense. Are all the people who're so anti-Apple like this? Illogical?
post #210 of 274
Quote:

Actually, I think it's Garth Brooks (The biggest selling solo artist of all time*). Yeah, country, ugh! But facts is facts.

*In the USA

There fixed it for ya!
post #211 of 274
BIG NEWS! not-yet-released device will be faster than year-old-technology!
post #212 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

The iPad with retina display will be hard to beat.

i would love that, but how much would it cost.....

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #213 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't know what page you visited *all the time* but when I play with my friend's iPad I rarely pinch-to-zoom while I did it *all the time* on my iPodTouch.

Beside, if 9.7" is too small for you, why do you have problem with the guy in the first place when he criticized screen size of Playbook? By your logic you should jump on the guy when the Playbook is larger, not smaller. You don't make any sense. Are all the people who're so anti-Apple like this? Illogical?

Pinch and zoom mmm

but does it give blow jobs like the iPad?

this is the reason Apple will win Jobs!
post #214 of 274
deleted
post #215 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In civilized places the burden of proof is on the plaintiff.

What do you have?

It was just speculation on his part (I assume), but at the same time, we have no choice but to take the RIM video at it's word. The truth is, even IE9 on my office computer failed the acid 3 test. So I guess it doesn't say as much about the hardware as it does the browser.
post #216 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

And for those on here who've claimed they'd be happier if the iPad ran Flash, have you ever used Flash on a mobile device? Did the Flash in this demo impress you? It looked almost as bad as the HTML5 animation on the iPad.

It means what?

Your conclusion is that if Adidas did their website in HTML5 animation --- it will be just as bad.
post #217 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

BIG NEWS! not-yet-released device will be faster than year-old-technology!

The problem is that for the last 30 years, software lags behind hardware.

RIM CEO was already talking about the possibility of doing quad-cores yesterday at web 2.0 --- simply because QNX can. And we are talking about iOS that can't do real multi-tasking yet.
post #218 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What was more telling was the supposed Flash killer canvas/js demos which reduced the ipad to a crawl.

While I agree that ipad 2.0 would be well served with at least doubling if not quadrupling the ram and even additional storage and a faster processor, I can't help but wonder if the issue was really the ipad and not poor coding on the page in question.

And I agree about giving this video too much weight. RIM created it so it stands as possible that they hand picked some sites they knew would 'fail' on the ipad.

Give me a similar test by an independent group (done of their own volition) and that stigma is reduced if not eliminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Let REAL, SHIPPING, INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS speak for themselves . . . not VAPORWARE!

I have to agree there. I too am tired if hearing about this and that and how it is going to be better than the iPad. When it finally releases. Thing is, the ipad does what I need a tablet to do for me. And I can buy it now.

When these other tablets come out and I can mosey on over to Best Buy or the Verizon store and check them out, I likely will. But it will take more than Flash for me to pick one of those over still using my ipad or getting the 2.0. Especially if all that talk of a dual GSM/CDMA set was for the ipad and it's all pay as you need, no lock, no contract and perhaps with better tier amounts. THen no matter where I have to travel for work I can get a connection if there's no wifi. Double up some hardware and toss on a front facing camera and these other boys will really have to impress me. And I suspect some others. Sales numbers on these devices will be very interesting to follow. Starting with confirmation of the HP Slate which is rumored that they only made an initial run of 5k and have order of just over 9k. The ipad does that in about 3 hours each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

so iOS 4.2 is vaporware? it is no more real than the Playbook, nor is it shipping, and its innovation is unknown, as it is not publicly available

And Apple is NOT doing videos about how it is so much better than the other guy's stuff. Which was the real point of the comment. Saying right now X is better than Y (and thus you should run out and buy X) is pointless when X is not available and by the time it is Y could be upgraded to Z and totally smoke X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

i would question whether that really disqualifies it as a gold master.

The term Gold(en) Master is pointless and should be dropped from the language. It was the name for the final version of a software that was deemed as good as it could possibly be and locked for the pressing of disks. There's no such state when you are talking about downloaded software because it can and often is changed up to hours (sometimes minutes) of flipping the switch to start downloading to users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I am going to laugh so amazingly hard when, on the day this thing ships, Apple announces iPad 2.

The best part is that it is very possible that that day will also be the day that the ipad 2 is available to buy, or at least the day the units are leaving the warehouses to go to the stores (meaning within 2-3 days they will be on sale).

Because, there may be no reason to pre announce and without that reason they won't. Apple pre announces items for only one reason. To trump leaks. Leaks from the developers updating their apps. Leaks from the FCC which makes paper work publicly visible. Cut out that stuff and Apple has no reason to talk early. Sure there will be rumors but those rumors lack the confirmable information that comes from the SDK etc.

And the beauty is that it is possible that Apple could release the ipad 2 a bit earlier than last year. They needed to give developers some time to get ready but that might not be in the game this time. And if the form factor is the same, you have no concerns for cases and bags. If they aren't changing the 3g components they don't have to wait for the FCC, etc. They might be able to have it hit the market more like late February. And perhaps even both sets (although really I wish the pricing could come down enough that they just drop the wifi only, maybe with 3.0).

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

of course not.

but do you really believe anyone is contributing any semblance of original or provocative thought when they say "oh, this is great because competition will make apple better?"

Generally when I see that it comes off like a person that doesn't want to be labeled as a blindly following fanboi who would even call Jobs' farts 'magical'

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #219 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In all this talk of retina displays you have still failed to define what a retina display is. I thought I opened that up with my previous comment, but I guess not. So how do you define a retina display. 326ppi like the iPhone 4? Have you figured out the resolution for a 9.7 4:3 display with 326ppi? 276 ppi, the minimum for 20/20 vision at 12 away from your eyes? Have you figured out that resolution? Have you figured what GPU from Imagination Tech can feasibly push that many pixels?

post #220 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I can't help but wonder if the issue was really the ipad and not poor coding on the page in question.

Apple has historically been the slowest to update their webkit core in their browsers --- be it in desktop browser, iphone browser or ipad browser.

It is highly likely that ipad 4.2 will come with an older webkit core than some of the android tablets out there.
post #221 of 274
Did anyone even bother to look at the hardware in the playback compared to the iPad?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/27/r...kberry-tablet/

Its almost 6 months newer than the iPad, obviously they are going to have better hardware in it. What percentage of the speed up is from the hardware alone?
post #222 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart007 View Post

Its almost 6 months newer than the iPad, obviously they are going to have better hardware in it. What percentage of the speed up is from the hardware alone?

Yet plenty of deniers around claiming that the test was fake.
post #223 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart007 View Post

Did anyone even bother to look at the hardware in the playback compared to the iPad?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/27/r...kberry-tablet/

While there is certainly a lot of truth to that, since they are using different OSes we can’t compare one to the other directly, so we have to look at comparative tasks between devices.

For instance, a 2GHz Atom CPU has much higher performance than the original iPhone with a 600MHZ ARM11 CPU, but I bet Safari on the iPhone opens up a lot faster than any netbook running Windows.
. Playbook. . . . iPad
Cortex-A9. . . Cortex-A8
dual core. . . single-core
1024MiB RAM. . 256MiB RAM
614,400px. . . 786,432px
The real tests will come from battery time from various usage types like watching videos and web surfing over WiFi, and from measuring lag between actions like changing an app or scrolling.

It’s possible the next IPad 2 was finalized in HW before the Playbook was known to Apple and/or may still use Cortex-A8 that has been rejiggered to be optimized further for Apple as an A4 or A5. There is nothing slow about the way the current iPad feels and the only HW feature that screams “update me” is the RAM.

PS: We can say that Apple will use the latest chips to compete directly n a few month with whatever is being demoed today, but that would shortsighted of us. We can say that Cortex-A9 has to be used because it’s newer, but we really don’t know what Apple could have done to optimize it over the Cortex-A8 at this point. We even history of Apple using HW that was deemed “out of date” while still making record sales and growing a vast user base because they worked on optimizing their HW and SW, not just make a spec sheet impressive. Examples include the EDGE only iPhone, the ARM11 used in the iPhone 3G, and the 480x320 3.5” display in the iPhone 3GS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #224 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

I love Dilbert!
post #225 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Your formulation amounts to "some have speculated one thing yet here you are speculating another", presented as if you were making a point.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #226 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Your formulation amounts to "some have speculated one thing yet here you are speculating another", presented as if you were making a point.

There is no speculating. The playbook has a faster CPU, more RAM and a newer webkit core --- of course it is going to be faster.
post #227 of 274
Quote:

There is no speculating. The playbook has a faster CPU, more RAM and a newer webkit core --- of course it is going to be faster.

There is no “of course” about it, as has been explained to you before yet oddly ignored.

Let’s try an example from the beginning of this year. The Nexus One came with a 1GHz Cortex-A8, 512MiB RAM with Android 2.0 (maybe 2.1, i forget). The iPhone 3GS came with a ≈600MHz Cortex-A8, 256MiB RAM and ran iOS 3.x. Yet, the Nexus One wasn’t faster in every way than the iPhone. How can that be? OMG, they use different OSes and optimizing SW to HW can make a difference in how fast something runs, especially from a user’s perspective.

Do you really need more examples than have already been provided are you are just choosing to be ignorant of this well known fact?

Maybe you need a less “computery” example. Take a car with a 200bhp engine v. a motorcycle with a 100bhp engine. By your reckoning the car should be faster, twice as fast, “of course” because it has a more powerful engine, yet you’d be wrong because you’re failing to account for things that can hinder the machine’s performance.
post #228 of 274
Quote:

Which doesn't preclude the possibility that RIM would use carefully chosen websites and tune their hardware and software for this demonstration. We also have people reporting that they can get better performance on their iPads following along at home than what is presented in the video; I suppose these people might be lying, or RIM might have "accidentally" allowed the demo iPad to be used in a less than ideal condition-- perhaps with a number of web pages or apps already resident in ram.

This isn't "fake", exactly, but if I were RIM and wanting to drum up a bit advance anticipation for my new device, what better way than to show it out-performing the reigning incumbent? And what better way to make that as impressive as possible than to make a few careful choices that emphasize the difference?

I wouldn't expect RIM to do anything too overt-- that would be disastrous if the truth came out-- but there are ways of approaching demos that play to your strengths and which don't quite cross the boundary of actually faking things.
post #229 of 274
Quote:

But Steve Jobs lost more than $10 billion because of it. The emperor really has no clothes.

If money, and a vast amount of it, is the end all and be all of how you define life and happiness than that detail matters. Perhaps Mr Jobs doesn't share that view and isn't concerned with the loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolein View Post

Man, oh man, Apple fans........ What are you lot going to do when SJ's no longer around anymore?

That comment relies on the notion that you believe that Steve Jobs does everything himself, is the only person in the company with any brains and doesn't share his ideas or vision with anyone else in the company.

Which is all false. We saw Tim Cook run the company for six months while Jobs was getting his not so secret liver transplant. We see folks like Jonny Ive in the videos, on the stage. Heck Ron Johnson was called out on Mad Money as being THE mind behind Apple Retail success in selling thousands per squ foot over places like Tiffanys and Lexus.

Quote:

For my part, I think the RIM Playbook is perfect in size. The web browsing looks good, but knowing RIM they'll probably skimp on some, to them minor detail that's a show stopper for everyone else.

A lot of the judgement calls depend on the intended audience for the Playbook. IF RIM is going for their business customers that don't need all that 'fluff' of games, ebooks, movies etc, then the size and style works. If they are going for the same consumer audience as the ipad then they will possibly fail.

Quote:
I sort of wish it would outsell the iPad, even if only for a while.

It probably will. If it releases during the period when everyone is sure that the next ipad is about to come out and doesn't buy (just like what happens with the iphone every April/May)

But selling 2 to 1 or whatever to the ipad doesn't mean that in total there will be more Playbooks out there or that once the ipad 2 hits the streets the numbers of Playbook sales will stay steady. THAT will be a very watched detail.

Quote:
Apple has been losing the contact to its professional and long time supporters for a while now in favour of flavour of the month toys

Hyperbolic much. You do realize that this toy you refer to are being used by more and more companies every day. Companies that also embrace the iphone as an important, sometimes vital business tool. And some of these companies are huge names like Mercedes, Wells Fargo etc.

As for those long time supporters. Fact is that many of them have stopped supporting Apple and started believing that anything that isn't how they would do things is stupid and wrong. Rather than understanding that Apple is a business and in this to make money and that means appealing to a larger audience. An audience that doesn't necessarily need Flash on their phone, or blu-ray in their 13 inch laptop, isn't buying rack based servers etc. In light of this, I"m not sure that Apple is really bothered by losing those folks. What's the loss of a few thousand self proclaimed 'long time supporters' compared to the gain of a few million new friends with very open wallets.

Quote:

No, I am saying that if you look at an iphone teardown --- there are daughter boards and daughter boards and daughter boards.

And? What matters more, the hardware or how well it does what it is supposed to do. If a collection of daughter boards does the job better than some pretty single board, most folks would not be concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I pinch and zoom all the time on my iPad as I find the text rendering on most web pages too crude and a little too small.

That's the fault of the web page, not the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Flash requires brawn to be useful.

Flash requires brawn on Mac OS in part because, as even Adobe admits, it's a port and not a native program. They took the Windows version and slapped on some port code and shipped it out. THey have never and have said they never intend to right a top to bottom native Mac version because the Windows version works great so there is nothing wrong with the program. This is why Jobs called them lazy and ended up having his peeps rewrite Safari to sandbox Flash so it's issues wouldn't bring down the whole browser all the time. The newer machines have enough brute strength to deal but older machines are just a nightmare.

Jobs likely made the call to keep Flash out of iOS believing Adobe would take the same stance and method and the iDevices wouldn't have the brawn to deal.

Quote:

I wouldn't say fake but loaded.

I remember a story perhaps 2 years ago about a guy who went around making bets with family, friends, total strangers that he never lost. Because he loaded the bet to make sure he wouldn't lose. It was things like eating contests, foot races etc. He would practice first and experiment with to figure out his best conditions and since he was setting the terms of the bet he could make sure those were the conditions.

By the same, I would not be shocked if these testers found sites they knew would look bad on the ipad but not the Playbook.

post #230 of 274
Does anyone even care?

philip
post #231 of 274
Quote:

QNX has always been touted as a high-performance microkernel. Last time I looked, they were doing context switches an order of magnitude faster than the nearest competitor (granted, I haven't looked in a while, but in the OS world things tend to get slower rather than faster as more features are added).

The real issue will be the GUI that RIM bolts on top of QNX. I'm pretty sure it's not the QNX Photon GUI (which was blazing fast and very small, but probably too feature lean for a consumer device).

This is exactly as I was getting at. Even though QNX is a fast microkernel, it was not designed for a typical GUI OS. Not that it can't be, but even with a microkernel design, it will get bogged down unless refined very intensely to get everything to work in balance. The way it operates can be more of a problem when extending than OS X or UNIX. As you add more components to the system, there is more to manage.

I'd be interested to see what RIM did under the hood and how they're going to handle these potential problems to keep it from getting too slow while maintaining a GUI (and other components) up to or past iOS's specs.
post #232 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Lets try an example from the beginning of this year. The Nexus One came with a 1GHz Cortex-A8, 512MiB RAM with Android 2.0 (maybe 2.1, i forget). The iPhone 3GS came with a ≈600MHz Cortex-A8, 256MiB RAM and ran iOS 3.x. Yet, the Nexus One wasnt faster in every way than the iPhone. How can that be? OMG, they use different OSes and optimizing SW to HW can make a difference in how fast something runs, especially from a users perspective.

Do you really need more examples than have already been provided are you are just choosing to be ignorant of this well known fact?

Maybe you need a less computery example. Take a car with a 200bhp engine v. a motorcycle with a 100bhp engine. By your reckoning the car should be faster, twice as fast, of course because it has a more powerful engine, yet youd be wrong because youre failing to account for things that can hinder the machines performance.

We are also talking about Android using linux kernel, which Linus himself doesn't care to optimize for the embedded devices vs. QNX being in the embedded devices for 30 years.

You should assume that even if the Playbook has the same CPU, the same RAM and the same webkit as the ipad --- the Playbook would be faster, simply because QNX would have the expertise to optimize it for the limited resources available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Which doesn't preclude the possibility that RIM would use carefully chosen websites and tune their hardware and software for this demonstration.

They don't even have the time to breathe, let alone tuning it for demonstration purposes.

Quote:

If money, and a vast amount of it, is the end all and be all of how you define life and happiness than that detail matters. Perhaps Mr Jobs doesn't share that view and isn't concerned with the loss.

I didn't say Jobs shared that view. I said that AI'ers who claimed that they had the foresight to buy AAPL at $6 (just because Jobs was hired) and kept their stock because they have faith in Jobs --- didn't really have a point at all.
post #233 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

This is exactly as I was getting at. Even though QNX is a fast microkernel, it was not designed for a typical GUI OS. Not that it can't be, but even with a microkernel design, it will get bogged down unless refined very intensely to get everything to work in balance. The way it operates can be more of a problem when extending than OS X or UNIX. As you add more components to the system, there is more to manage.

I'd be interested to see what RIM did under the hood and how they're going to handle these potential problems to keep it from getting too slow while maintaining a GUI (and other components) up to or past iOS's specs.

QNX has always been used as a desktop PC for self-hosting development --- kind of a rare thing for the embedded world.

As a Canadian, I used it in high school in the late 80's --- on a 80186.

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/...asp?st=1&c=971
post #234 of 274
I think a good PlayBook is good for iPad users as Apple have a 6 month lead time to consider their response via iPad 2 which I expect in April or June 2011 (just my hunch).

Unfortunately it will be so hard to compare like for like in these situations for all the reasons laid out in the comments so far.

I must admit, AIR and Java support will be useful, enabling (for example) the ability to edit Squarespace websites on a Playbook. BUT it remains to be seen if the screen is ultimately big enough to make the Squarespace CMS edit consoles usable. so it's all pointless until we can try real units. Bottom line: it's more than just raw specs that makes a device useable.

Another browsing difference is 3G. Don't you need a Blackberry phone to browse over 3G on a Playbook?
post #235 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Don't you need a Blackberry phone to browse over 3G on a Playbook?

You can tether with any cell phone or mifi devices.

It's just that if you want certain enterprise function --- like group policies enforcing the playbook not keeping any data on the device, then you need to pair it with a blackberry (via bluetooth).
post #236 of 274
Quote:

While I agree that ipad 2.0 would be well served with at least doubling if not quadrupling the ram and even additional storage and a faster processor, I can't help but wonder if the issue was really the ipad and not poor coding on the page in question.

As a counter, the poor coding has to be rendered by both devices.

Quote:
And Apple is NOT doing videos about how it is so much better than the other guy's stuff. Which was the real point of the comment. Saying right now X is better than Y (and thus you should run out and buy X) is pointless when X is not available and by the time it is Y could be upgraded to Z and totally smoke X.

Antennagate?

In general... No: the playbook has not been released. But here's evidence that a real physical device is being developed and for some reason it's decried as vapourware.

In Jan, iPad was also vapourware on that measure, and a good number of people were underwhelmed at that event as I recall.

I'm waiting for iPad 2.0 myself but I would be interested to see how this smaller form factor plays out in the market. It looks to me like this particular device is going to be the strongest competitor of the current crop of 7in devices.
post #237 of 274
Quote:

The problem is that for the last 30 years, software lags behind hardware.

RIM CEO was already talking about the possibility of doing quad-cores yesterday at web 2.0 --- simply because QNX can. And we are talking about iOS that can't do real multi-tasking yet.

Ya' know, if you want people to respect your opinion and assertions -- you should give the "iOS that can't do real multi-tasking" fallacy a rest.

iOS has done real multitasking since the intro of the iPhone in 2007 -- otherwise, you would have to contact a server to check for phone calls, text messages, mail, etc. and wouldn't be able to play music and/or browse without disabling all the other tasks.

The fact that it doesn't do it the way you would like it to is dually noted -- as are the 100 million others who accept the iPhone with iOS multitasking as satisfying their needs!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #238 of 274
Quote:

A lot of the judgement calls depend on the intended audience for the Playbook. IF RIM is going for their business customers that don't need all that 'fluff' of games, ebooks, movies etc, then the size and style works.

It is a 7 inch tablet. It is DOA.
post #239 of 274
Duplicate
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #240 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The fact that it doesn't do it the way you would like it to is dually noted -- as are the 100 million others who accept the iPhone with iOS multitasking as satisfying their needs!

Buying device != implied satisfaction with all aspects of said device.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM demonstrates PlayBook with faster Web browsing than Apple's iPad