Originally Posted by kwoot27
I am all in favor of getting large corporations manufacturing out of China. Us Amercians have been so spoiled with cheap products from China that we are terrified of other nations manufacturing our products for a bit more. If Brazil can manufacture our products with their workers getting paid a descent salary, costs stay fairly the same, and maybe even Apple takes a little bit of a hit on their bottom line, I am totally willing to pay a little more money. China already owns us, we have to stop this before they also control us.
As a Brazilian citizen working overseas, I can only hope this is true, for the following reasons:
- Brazil is the second-biggest Western democracy behind the US;
- Even though the US and BR have their share of rivalry due to trade disputes, geopolitical competition and differences on foreign affairs, we are much more alike than many people know;
- Both countries are Western immigration-based States with a melting pot of ethnicities (Brazil: 55% white, 30% mulatto/mixed, 10% "pure" African-Brazilian and 5% Asian), an overwhelmingly Christian population and a welcoming/open culture that receives pretty much everyone without the cultural or language barriers of places like Northern Europe or Asia;
- Brazil, as the 8th biggest economy in the world, has a VAST industrial park and lots of expertise in the field, with many companies already producing high-tech and IT components down there, not to mention the world's third-biggest aircraft company and diverse defense companies;
- Due to nowadays' currency wars, it's clear that Brazil has to reduce its so-called "Brazil Cost" in order to improve competitiveness - this move will simply accelerate that trend, especially in terms of high import taxes that derive from a history of closeness and import substitution (just google "Unitron Mac" to see what I am talking about);
- Eike is probably one of the smartest entrepreneurs in the world today - he normally gets EVERYTHING he wants, so it's gonna be no surprise if he becomes the richest man anytime soon;
- Brazil is a MUCH more expensive country than places like China, with wages and living costs WAY higher than Asian sweatshops - no wonder you don't hear about companies "outsourcing" to places like Brazil like you do for truly cheapo, underdeveloped and overpopulated places like India or China - cost factors alone are not attractive when one thinks of Brazil - but the labor market is much more diverse, dynamic and competent than the average Asian place, especially in the industrialized Southern region;
- We all speak ONE single language and have no internal terrorism/sectarian problems or natural disasters like many others (although urban violence is still a concern in some areas);
- We have the hottest girls on Earth, bar none;
- And NO, we are NOT "Latinos" in the formal US sense of the term - we have virtually NO indigenous population, we don't speak fucking Spanish and we don't share any values with other Latin American countries - Mexico is much closer in every respect to the US than to Brazil.