or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Brazilian billionaire hopes to court Apple for device assembly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brazilian billionaire hopes to court Apple for device assembly - Page 3

post #81 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

where in the United States are you going to find people working for the US equivalent of the Chinese wage? The cost of living (especially in CA) is so high that you simply cannot afford to live here on minimum wage (and factory workers in China get far less than even the cheapest labor in the US). Minimum wage in CA in $8.00/hr.. Chinese will work 2 DAYS for that.

I believe you missed the point

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #82 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

While I agree that it would be great to produce Apple product in the U.S., as they originally did (in California), there's no way that could happen without a substantial increase in retail prices...probably double. Chinese workers are currently working for the equivalent of $135 a month. Even U.S. minimum wage would cost a lot more money. Furthermore, Chinese manufacturing works on very short margins. (And this is why I think pushing the Chinese to increase the value of their currency is a joke. Even if their currency doubled in value, it still wouldn't return any manufacturing to the U.S.)

I addition to wage costs, many other things are also more expensive. Energy, environmental/pollution regulations, OSHA safety regulations, waste disposal, legal expenses, worker's compensation/injury, heath plan benefits, payroll taxes. Not to mention start-up costs of building new factories and all the infrastructure that goes along with that. Even in a highly automated factory, most of these exepenses still exist.

And just what part of the manufacturing would we move to the US? The final assemly? That is probably a small part of the overall process. The majority of the work would still be done overseas, and you'd be paying to ship all those parts to the US (only to have half of what your produce shipped back out again to Apple's overseas customers). And any parts manufacturing you moved to the US (probably not much since those companies are overseas companies) would then result in higher parts cost due to all of the above, inflating the price even more.

To even have a chance of being successful (and it would still result in higher prices), the US would need own the manufacturing of all the parts, too. The screens, processors, flash memory, batteries, drives, etc. But those aren't areas where the US leads anymore. Why would any of those foreign companies move their manufacturing to the US? Because they feel sorry for us?
post #83 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Always the same answer.

In Germany, people keep buying Mercedes and BMW at prices twice that of a comparable Lexus. Why? Because if they would buy a Lexus their money would leave the country and they would have to pay the unemployed in their own country. It's a double-edged sword. It works there, why would it not work here?

Because Americans will not buy these products if they cost a penny more. We are a penny wise country and the results of such a culture a re self-evident and will only get worse.
post #84 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Always the same answer.

In Germany, people keep buying Mercedes and BMW at prices twice that of a comparable Lexus. Why? Because if they would buy a Lexus their money would leave the country and they would have to pay the unemployed in their own country. It's a double-edged sword. It works there, why would it not work here?

Well, no wonder USA is broke.
Germany also taxes big wealth, imagine that in the USA?

: No way!
post #85 of 115
It really doesn't matter where you look or locate to on Earth, the problem is still the same.
The problem we have is money itself, and how we've all been hooked line and sinker, into believing it is something that somehow magically solves all our problems, when it only exacerbates it.

We are all born free men, but I believe we have been lied to since birth by our so-called leaders that it is a neccessity, when from a spiritual perspective it hardly is. Look at how we view things now in life to see how low we've gone....so afraid of this job being exported, or that job taken, or this 'competitors products' being better. We are so focused on the loss of an income or job and competing with our very own brothers whether we are Chinese, Taiwanese, Brazilian or American we are losing our focus on our own true freedom......think about it!

If we are to survive the coming years what must change first is our belief of property and ownership. Nobody should be more wealthy than the next person to them, and nobody should have more acreage either. Wealth and property should be equal amongst all, because it is only equality that provides balance. If there is no equality, then there is an imbalance in our own belief systems about rights, and this all boils down to the spiritual and how we each see things. Truthfully we all stem from the same source Creator, so in essence all Life are family. Also I have always believed that, if the world is working perfectly, ideally we don't need charities. This is because the existence of a charity means there is a problem in the 'system' that we are working in.

The other aspect, is our belief in 'working'. Most people's belief in work is that it is a toil, that there is competition and they 'must' be paid this amount to be happy. It shouldn't be. You should be happy at all times and unaffected by whatever pay you have because you are adding more value into those products.

Which brings me to automation. Automation should have helped make humanity's lives better, not worse. The reason we fear it right now is because we have automation geared towards a monetary financial model instead of a resource-based model economy (google Venus Project) where a simple work contract is all one needs to have all their other needs provided for by society. Until we work together on a system of governance based upon free and open principles, whereby we collectively combine our knowledge and resources as a race, we will never truly be free.
post #86 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

If Brazil would do away with their anti-import tariffs, you wouldn't need to produce the products in-country. Their protectionism is amazing and the fact that companies have to build product there to avoid the penalties is just dumb. Let them pay twice of what everyone else does until they open up their market to the rest of the world.

The shining example of soaring US unemployment and manufacturing job loss is hardly going to convince Brazilians to stop protecting their economy. Opening up your market leads to cheap crap (and not-so-crap, like Apple stuff) from China, but then what?

Dell is already building in Brazil, as is Sony. Apple can play or stay out. Brazil means Mercosur, which essentially means most of South America.

This is up to Apple. I sure don't see Brazil changing a successful growth model for the sake of one brand.
post #87 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post

It really doesn't matter where you look or locate to on Earth, the problem is still the same.
The problem we have is money itself, and how we've all been hooked line and sinker, into believing it is something that somehow magically solves all our problems, when it only exacerbates it.

You should have stopped after this paragraph

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #88 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As a Brazilian citizen working overseas, I can only hope this is true, for the following reasons:

- We all speak ONE single language and have no internal terrorism/sectarian problems or natural disasters like many others (although urban violence is still a concern in some areas);

- We have the hottest girls on Earth, bar none;

- And NO, we are NOT "Latinos" in the formal US sense of the term - we have virtually NO indigenous population, we don't speak fucking Spanish and we don't share any values with other Latin American countries - Mexico is much closer in every respect to the US than to Brazil.


"We all speak ONE single language"

I'm pretty sure people in Brazil speak other languages other than portuguese.

"We have the hottest girls on Earth, bar none;"

People have different taste in women, others might say Italian women are hotter than Brazilian women, others might say US of A has the hottest women.

"we don't speak fucking Spanish and we don't share any values with other Latin American countries"

Again with the we, do you represent all of Brazilians? That's like saying Americans speak only English.
post #89 of 115
Apple does not manufacture its products in China. Does he understand this. It is Foxconn in Taiwan that manufactures Apple products in China. So if an American company or a Brazillian company that can offer to manufacture Apple products in US or Brazil at a price that can compete with Foxconn, Apple will certainly accept it.

Apple made is original Macintosh in California. The cost is too high. This is one forgotten reason that Apple lost to the cheap IBM PC clones by Taiwanese companies. Apple can certainly compete with HP, DELL, Compaq if they make PCs in US.
post #90 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Always the same answer.

In Germany, people keep buying Mercedes and BMW at prices twice that of a comparable Lexus. Why? Because if they would buy a Lexus their money would leave the country and they would have to pay the unemployed in their own country. It's a double-edged sword. It works there, why would it not work here?

Agree. Intel makes chips here etc. Yes wages etc would add to cost, but the money stays here. So all you bright ops out there, this is how is it that Germany Finn etc have the highest wages and bene's in the world, six weeks vacation, tons of unions etc, and have a positive trade balance. They also don't blame the poor, they realize for a majority of poor, it's an offshot of capitalism. Remember during the bubble, unemployment was next to nothing, so they will work if there's a job. What do they give up(greatly simplified), have to be chosen to go to college, f22's, pay for fee healthcare, 3000ft homes for two, and other big ticket items. It's a choice, we chose cheap little junk from china and big junk to live and drive in and political bickering of blame the other.

And yes apple should open a factory here.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #91 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Always the same answer.

In Germany, people keep buying Mercedes and BMW at prices twice that of a comparable Lexus. Why? Because if they would buy a Lexus their money would leave the country and they would have to pay the unemployed in their own country. It's a double-edged sword. It works there, why would it not work here?

This is comparing apples to oranges. Car manufacturing is completely different from high tech manufacturing. If Germans are so great, why there is no PCs made in Germany?
post #92 of 115
A Brazilian a-hole who doesn't know what he's talking about. Portuguese people are Latinos you dumb ass, and a large number of your people are mestizos, enough said!!! Asshole, go back to your crap pit, you'd wish you knew Spanish, one of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world with a native speaker population of almost a billion people, you asshole. I'd wish I had you in front if me you I kick your ass.
post #93 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As a Brazilian citizen working overseas, I can only hope this is true, for the following reasons:

- Brazil is the second-biggest Western democracy behind the US;

A Brazilian asshole who doesn't know what he's talking about, and makes his own people sound so stupid and un-educated. Feel sorry for the country of Brazil who gave birth to such lowlife. Portuguese people are Latinos you dumb ass, and a large number of your people are mestizos, enough said!!! Asshole, go back to your crap pit, you'd wish you knew Spanish, one of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world with a native speaker population of almost a billion people, you asshole. I'd wish I had you in front of me so I can kick your ass.
post #94 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post

It really doesn't matter where you look or locate to on Earth, the problem is still the same.
The problem we have is money itself, and how we've all been hooked line and sinker, into believing it is something that somehow magically solves all our problems, when it only exacerbates it.

We are all born free men, but I believe we have been lied to since birth by our so-called leaders that it is a neccessity, when from a spiritual perspective it hardly is. Look at how we view things now in life to see how low we've gone....so afraid of this job being exported, or that job taken, or this 'competitors products' being better. We are so focused on the loss of an income or job and competing with our very own brothers whether we are Chinese, Taiwanese, Brazilian or American we are losing our focus on our own true freedom......think about it!

If we are to survive the coming years what must change first is our belief of property and ownership. Nobody should be more wealthy than the next person to them, and nobody should have more acreage either. Wealth and property should be equal amongst all, because it is only equality that provides balance. If there is no equality, then there is an imbalance in our own belief systems about rights, and this all boils down to the spiritual and how we each see things. Truthfully we all stem from the same source Creator, so in essence all Life are family. Also I have always believed that, if the world is working perfectly, ideally we don't need charities. This is because the existence of a charity means there is a problem in the 'system' that we are working in.

The other aspect, is our belief in 'working'. Most people's belief in work is that it is a toil, that there is competition and they 'must' be paid this amount to be happy. It shouldn't be. You should be happy at all times and unaffected by whatever pay you have because you are adding more value into those products.

Which brings me to automation. Automation should have helped make humanity's lives better, not worse. The reason we fear it right now is because we have automation geared towards a monetary financial model instead of a resource-based model economy (google Venus Project) where a simple work contract is all one needs to have all their other needs provided for by society. Until we work together on a system of governance based upon free and open principles, whereby we collectively combine our knowledge and resources as a race, we will never truly be free.

The huge flaw in your argument is the assumption that all people are willing and able to contribute to your idealistic society. Give two farmers equal plots of land. One farmer is hard working, smart about managing his land, and produces bountiful crops. The other farmer is perhaps unskilled, unmotivated, or simply incapable of producing any crops. Isn't it then in the best interest of society as a whole to give the first farmer a larger plot of land in order to allow him to contribute more food to the population?

I agree with your premise that money and possessions get far too much focus in today's society, especially in the US. I believe that we, as a society, should help our fellow man to improve his/her situation (education, training, etc), but I do not believe that others should be able to sit back and benefit equally from the hard work of others.
post #95 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Absolutely true! But I'd still favor Brazil over China simply because China is getting far too big for their boots these days and they need to know they can't dictate their terms to every nation on earth.

I'm not speaking of Chinese people here of course, but the Chinese government.

Stones and glass houses springs to mind. How the mighty have fallen. It'll be back to picking cotton for us in the western world.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #96 of 115
This is interesting, labor costs are still much
cheaper in China but Brazil is much closer. If
they could make it so that transportation costs
make up for the difference in labor costs, and
match the same incentives from the Chinese
government, then this just might work out for
the Brazilian.
post #97 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

A diversified manufacturing base for Apple is in their own best interests. But... Brazil's popluation is under 200MM, and they don't really have expertise in this area, do they? I would think they would need to get a Hon Hai or the ilk to run the thing.

Interesting concept though. Hope a factory comes to the US as well eventually... but just for domestic consumption rates.

Brazil makes aircraft, motor cars, electrical equipment and many other up to date products. They would certainly be able to make Apple products to acceptable standards at competitive prices. For Apple to diversify out of Asia would be a good thing. In any case, Chinese labor costs are bound to rise.
post #98 of 115
This is not going to happen anytime soon.
The fact is that China and India are the largest markets for Apple in the near future.
Brazil does not know how to produce in large numbers, high quality hightech gadgets. Companies like Foxconn have decades of experience of perfecting the art of producing gadgets and maintaining quality. The touch screens and flash memory are made in South Korea, and some chips and mainboards are made in China, Taiwan and Japan.

When the supply chain and the largest markets are in Asia, Foxconn will maintain most of its factories in Asia.

The BMW example is not valid. Remember that BMW does have factories in China and India.
post #99 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The eighth richest man in the world hopes he will be able to convince Apple to assemble its products in Brazil, rather than in sometimes-controversial facilities in China.

According to MacMagazine in Brazil, Eike Batista is looking to court businesses to fill in 90 square miles of space at the Port of Acu. He said bringing Apple to Brazil would benefit the country, as customers there would likely no longer have to "pay twice what you pay in the United States."

Batista is clearly dreaming big, as his backup plan is to pitch his plan to carmaker BMW. Construction work is already under way on the Port of Acu, a $1.6 billion project in southeast Brazil.

Batista is a Brazilian entrepreneur who made his fortune in the mining industry. As of 2010, the 53-year-old has a total net worth of $27 billion, and he has publicly stated he hopes to eventually become the richest person in the world. For comparison, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs has a net worth of $6.1 billion, making him the 42nd wealthiest American.

Apple's dependance on companies in the Far East to create and assemble its products has at times been a point of controversy. Earlier this year, the iPhone maker was compelled to make a public statement after a rash of suicides occurred at the manufacturing hub of Foxconn in Shenzhen, China.

Apple began auditing its plants in 2006 after a newspaper report suggested workers at a Foxconn plant were treated unfairly and forced to operate under sweatshop-like conditions. Apple now conducts an annual audit of its overseas partners, and last year found that more than half weren't paying their workers valid overtime rates.

Let Jobs start to make his computers in the good old USA not China or other foreign countries. We need jobs here and to boost the economy!
post #100 of 115
I remember when Apple products were made in the US and Ireland. Strangely the quality was a lot better back then...
post #101 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

The shining example of soaring US unemployment and manufacturing job loss is hardly going to convince Brazilians to stop protecting their economy. Opening up your market leads to cheap crap (and not-so-crap, like Apple stuff) from China, but then what?

Dell is already building in Brazil, as is Sony. Apple can play or stay out. Brazil means Mercosur, which essentially means most of South America.

This is up to Apple. I sure don't see Brazil changing a successful growth model for the sake of one brand.

Having to build in-country with their incompetent ODMs, JDMs, and CMs is a waste of effort. Apple could find better places to build product than Brazil.
post #102 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

Then Apple store would look like:

iPad - From 1299$
iPhone - From $999$
iPod classic - Just 677$
MacBook - From 2499$
MacBookPro - From 2999$
....



No it wouldn't, lets say it costs $600 in labor costs to make one iPhone in the US and lets say the factory is able to produce 1000 iPhones per hour. Guess what the labor costs are per iPhone, its only $.60 cents. Now instead of 1000 per hour lets just make it 10 iPhones per hour, the labor cost is only $60 then. You don't add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to the product you fool!

People like you that make those arguments are the biggest fing retards, you don't know how to do math.
post #103 of 115
After reading all the opinions stated above, I think it is safe to say that no one here has any experience in operations which have produced even 1 million units comprising of a few components which require complex assembly.

Automated phone assembly? Have you seen the inside of one of these things?

Simply demanding that Apple move production back here doesn't do much. You need to change the landscape to make it happen. And why just Apple? Why not ALL consumer electronic companies?
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Reply
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Reply
post #104 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdelsur View Post

A Brazilian asshole who doesn't know what he's talking about, and makes his own people sound so stupid and un-educated. Feel sorry for the country of Brazil who gave birth to such lowlife. Portuguese people are Latinos you dumb ass, and a large number of your people are mestizos, enough said!!! Asshole, go back to your crap pit, you'd wish you knew Spanish, one of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world with a native speaker population of almost a billion people, you asshole. I'd wish I had you in front of me so I can kick your ass.

Bring it on, you 2-post moron...I have nothing against Spanish, but we just don't speak it nor fancy Ricky Martin.

So if you're offended as a Los Angeles latino immigrant, just swallow it and chill out - and next time go take your stupid inferiority complex elsewhere before playing the nerdish virtual bully.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #105 of 115
I can tell you this is a wonderful idea. Brazilians love Apple and they know Apple products are better. They would all buy Apple if wasn't for the import tariffs.
Brazil had the first Mac clone, decades ago:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/...asp?c=997&st=1

http://myoldmac.net/cgi-data/forum/p...opic.php?t=253


PS: "brlawyer" is right in everything he said.
post #106 of 115
I cant think of a single reason why Apple would choose a Brazilian Company over a Chinese Company.

And bring manufacturing back to US is not an option. People just need to think through it.
post #107 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I am by no means an expert on this topic, but I'm fairly certain that it's not just the wages. The way the Chinese economy is set up, it would be cheaper by far to do an automated factory in China than the USA, so even if they could find a way to make an automated USA factory competitive with the current factories in China, if they transposed that new automated factory to China instead, then they would save even more.

The problem is not that manufacturing costs are higher in the USA. The problem is that American manufacturers care about nothing but their own bottom line. What's good for the US economy is the farthest thing from their minds. This should not be allowed, imho. American companies should be required to provide jobs for American workers in exchange for the privilege of doing business in America.
post #108 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Bring it on, you 2-post moron...I have nothing against Spanish, but we just don't speak it nor fancy Ricky Martin.

So if you're offended as a Los Angeles latino immigrant, just swallow it and chill out - and next time go take your stupid inferiority complex elsewhere before playing the nerdish virtual bully.

And NO, we are NOT "Latinos" in the formal US sense of the term - we have virtually NO indigenous population, we don't speak fucking Spanish and we don't share any values with other Latin American countries

"we don't speak fucking Spanish", and I'm supposed to take that shit from a dumbass who's so immature and doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm sure you don't speak for the whole of Brazil, but I'll bet your dumb ass a lot of your people are scratching their heads and thinking how could one of our own fools, yeah that's what you are a fool, think and speak that way.

As for for assumption that I am an immigrant, well, you got that wrong, again you dumbass. I'm fifth generation American born and raised with Latin American roots, and proud of it. Yeah, but since you're not part of Latin America, you wouldn't know the difference in which part of the world Latin America is located, would you? A Brazilian in Switzerland, let me guess who's the immigrant.

Inferiority complex? Well, if you call working for one of the largest Aerospace/Defense consortiums in the world, being a degreed engineer with over fifteen years experience and with master's degree from one of the top engineering schools in world is having an inferiority complex, it goes to show your lack of education and sensibility towards people in general. If you can call standing up for refuting unfounded statements like you have made is having an inferiority complex, so be it.

And as for Ricky Martin, no disrespect to gay people, sounds like you're still in the closet and don't want to come out because you feel safe getting banged in the ass by your boyfriend, right? You must be the woman in the relationship, right?

May I have another one Sir...next time think before you write stupidity you dumb ass.
post #109 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So bring the Foxconn workers to Acu and pay them more than they got in China and less than the per-capita wage in Brazil. The shorter shipping distance just might make up the difference.

What about all the shipping of components from China to Brazil, most if not all the parts are made in China.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #110 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

No it wouldn't, lets say it costs $600 in labor costs to make one iPhone in the US and lets say the factory is able to produce 1000 iPhones per hour. Guess what the labor costs are per iPhone, its only $.60 cents. Now instead of 1000 per hour lets just make it 10 iPhones per hour, the labor cost is only $60 then. You don't add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to the product you fool!

People like you that make those arguments are the biggest fing retards, you don't know how to do math.

It's not that simple, labor is not just about hourly wages, if you add the benefits of the average American worker to the equation then you'll have significantly higher labor costs. And labor is not the only factor that makes producing them in China much cheaper. There's tax considerations and other government fees. Logistics and the availability of cheaper parts. There are more parts manufactured in China and Taiwan in smaller factories. The iPhone is not something that's manufactured from scratch. Shipping those parts to the U.S. would significantly increase costs and manufacturing those parts in the US would cost even more. Even power and water consumption charges are significantly higher.
post #111 of 115
I think Apple should take its $60 billion in cash and build its own factories, completely under its control. And build them anywhere except China.
post #112 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Apple does not manufacture its products in China. Does he understand this. It is Foxconn in Taiwan that manufactures Apple products in China. So if an American company or a Brazillian company that can offer to manufacture Apple products in US or Brazil at a price that can compete with Foxconn, Apple will certainly accept it.

Eike Batista is NOT courting Apple and trying to convince them he can build better than Foxconn. He is actually negotiating a joint-venture with the chinese company. Then of course they'll need Apple's approval. But the point is the expertise will come from Foxconn. Here is the poorly google translated link to the article citing his interview: http://bit.ly/94sLF1
post #113 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

Actually, China is not very advanced on automation. I was in China last year and went to a GM plant in Shanghi. There was little automation because the machines cost a lot more than what it costs to pay dozens of people to do the jobs.

I also spent some time in Guangzho (Canton) where much of the worlds electronics are made. You can literally buy products there for pennies on the dollar. I was dumbfounded trying to imagine how a product I might pay $200 could be made for less than $20. It seemed like the parts would have been more expensive than that.

China will dominate this area for a long time because they have a virtually endless supply of labor for whom almost any wage is an improvement over the life they previously had out on some farm. I think it would be great to have Apple go to Brazil, but I doubt they have the economic capability to produce things as inexpensively as China can. And in addition, if China starts losing manufacturing to other countries, all the government has to do is to subsidize the industry and prices will drop again and bring it back. I wouldn't want to be competing against the Chinese for this kind of work.

I saw a cooking timer in the grocery aisle yesterday for $1.99.

I was stunned. That means it was made in China for... 20 cents?

I didn't buy it.

We need to re-build America, and the first thing to do is enact tariffs against China.

Then we can move assembly of iPads to Michigan.

Buy the components from Asia, but build the product here.
post #114 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkirk3279 View Post

I saw a cooking timer in the grocery aisle yesterday for $1.99.

I was stunned. That means it was made in China for... 20 cents?

I didn't buy it.

We need to re-build America, and the first thing to do is enact tariffs against China.

Then we can move assembly of iPads to Michigan.

Buy the components from Asia, but build the product here.

Everybody says buy American products but as evidenced by our diminishing industrial base when it comes time to buy most forget. With US wages what they are we just can't compete. If we put higher tariffs on imported goods so will the competition and then we are facing the same dilemma.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #115 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdelsur View Post

"we don't speak fucking Spanish", and I'm supposed to take that shit from a dumbass who's so immature and doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm sure you don't speak for the whole of Brazil, but I'll bet your dumb ass a lot of your people are scratching their heads and thinking how could one of our own fools, yeah that's what you are a fool, think and speak that way.

As for for assumption that I am an immigrant, well, you got that wrong, again you dumbass. I'm fifth generation American born and raised with Latin American roots, and proud of it. Yeah, but since you're not part of Latin America, you wouldn't know the difference in which part of the world Latin America is located, would you? A Brazilian in Switzerland, let me guess who's the immigrant.

Inferiority complex? Well, if you call working for one of the largest Aerospace/Defense consortiums in the world, being a degreed engineer with over fifteen years experience and with master's degree from one of the top engineering schools in world is having an inferiority complex, it goes to show your lack of education and sensibility towards people in general. If you can call standing up for refuting unfounded statements like you have made is having an inferiority complex, so be it.

And as for Ricky Martin, no disrespect to gay people, sounds like you're still in the closet and don't want to come out because you feel safe getting banged in the ass by your boyfriend, right? You must be the woman in the relationship, right?

May I have another one Sir...next time think before you write stupidity you dumb ass.

Hug it out bitches!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Brazilian billionaire hopes to court Apple for device assembly