or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple releases Safari 5.0.3, 4.1.3 with bug fixes, security updates

Apple releases Safari 5.0.3, 4.1.3 with bug fixes, security updates

post #1 of 34
Apple on Thursday released an update containing bug and security fixes for its Safari Web browser, with version 5.0.3 for Windows, Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard, and 4.1.3 for Mac users running Tiger.

Safari 5.0.3 is available direct from Apple for Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later and Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Tiger users must be running Mac oS X 10.4.11 for Safari 4.1.2.

For both Mac and Windows users, the update fixes an issue that could prevent users from submitting web forms. It also establishes an encrypted, authenticated connection to the Safari Extensions Gallery.

The latest version of Safari 5 for Mac also fixes an issue that could cause Web content to display incorrectly when viewing a Google Image result with Flash 10.1 installed.

Other fixes, according to Apple, include:
More accurate Top Hit results in the Address Field
More accurate results in Top Sites
More reliable pop-up blocking
Improved stability when typing into search and text input fields on www.netflix.com and www.facebook.com
Improved stability when using JavaScript-intensive extensions
Improved stability when using VoiceOver with Safari
Safari 5 was released in June, bringing sandboxed extensions, as well as expanded HTML5 support. It also added the ability to make Microsoft Bing the default search engine.
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Safari 4.1.2.

ios 4.2 would be nicer but stability is always nice I guess.
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

ios 4.2 would be nicer but stability it always nice.

At least Safari is sna... No! I can't say it

Correction: This is Acrobat not Flash. Seriously though as far as I can tell still no (correction) Acrobat Plug-in 64 bit so Safari still has to be run in 32 bit mode.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #4 of 34
I still get Plug in failures with Flash on the BBC web site, only started when 10.6.5 was released.
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

At least Safari is sna... No! I can't say it

Seriously though as far as I can tell still no Flash 64 bit so Safari still has to be run in 32 bit mode if you use Flash content. Unless anyone can correct me and point me to a solution.

not sure if i understand what you are saying. Safari 5 is a 64 bit process. Flash is run separately on its own process, so might be 32 bits (i never checked that up).

Just out of curiosity, does this update require a restart?
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I still get Plug in failures with Flash on the BBC web site, only started when 10.6.5 was released.

Correction: This is for Acrobat (which maybe related to issues on BEEB but it's not Flash per se .. Sorry.) This may be the problem. Have you tried running Safari in 32 bit mode? Flash for Mac is still only 32 bit and it simply doesn't work correctly in Safari in 64 bit. To change Safari (in case you didn't know) quit it and find the original icon, get info and check the box next to "Open in 32-bit mode". Then restart Safari. Hopefully Flash will now work (well as well as it can lol).

Hope this helps
post #7 of 34
yeah but is it snappy?
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

not sure if i understand what you are saying. Safari 5 is a 64 bit process. Flash is run separately on its own process, so might be 32 bits (i never checked that up).

CORRECTION: This is related to Adobe Acrobat NOT flash. My Bad. First part was an old joke second part is my error, it's Acrobat Plug-In 32 bit does have some issues in Safari 64 bit not Flash.. Yes it requires a restart, on my Macs at least.
post #9 of 34
deleted
post #10 of 34
Quote:

Flash for Mac is still only 32 bit and it simply doesn't work correctly in Safari in 64 bit.

something is probably wrong with your installment. Flash is a pig, and it does malfunction sometimes but i wouldn't go that far as saying it doesn't work correctly.

Flash is run in a separate process, so it doesn't matter if you start Safari in 32 or 64. It should just work. (I believe although some expert developer can clarify that for you) If you are having problems with it try reinstall flash from the adobe site. or check if any extensions are messing with it. But 32 and 64 bits is not the culprit here.
post #11 of 34
Quote:

something is probably wrong with your installment. Flash is a pig, and it does malfunction sometimes but i wouldn't go that far as saying it doesn't work correctly.

Flash is run in a separate process, so it doesn't matter if you start Safari in 32 or 64. It should just work. (I believe although some expert developer can clarify that for you) If you are having problems with it try reinstall flash from the adobe site. or check if any extensions are messing with it. But 32 and 64 bits is not the culprit here.

My Bad this is Acrobat not Flash. Link removed.
post #12 of 34
Quote:

My Bad this is Acrobat not Flash. I got this info from Adobe's own web site and it cured the issues I was having. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/509/cpsid_50983.html

We are talking about Flash right? Not PDFs? The link you've posted is about the pdf plugin for safari from acrobat reader (which by the way is not only not needed but something seriously to avoid installing).

check the image below:
post #13 of 34
Quote:

My Bad this is Acrobat not Flash.

Yep! got it. no worry.
post #14 of 34
Quote:

We are talking about Flash right? Not PDFs? The link you've posted is about the pdf plugin for safari from acrobat reader (which by the way is not only not needed but something seriously to avoid installing).

check the image below:

I agree on the don't install normally, except now at last we can access Florida MLS via a VNC app on a Mac no Parallels required. However it didn't work on many forms. Eventually we discovered it won't work without the damned plug-in and hence I found out (after weeks of trying to figure this out) what was wrong ... the 32 bit plug-in. It was Adobe (yet again!).

So someone out there may have some issues like that and it's worth knowing, sorry for off topic posting BTW. I agree otherwise, don't use it!

p.s. not seeing your attached image.
post #15 of 34
I do as well. First thing I checked was BBC and first video clip I trip caused a failure and its very easy to recreate.

Each time a report goes to Apple so maybe they will fix it.

Am wondering if its worth reinstalling Flash or if there s a new verson for 10.6.5 ??
post #16 of 34
Not sure this should help but changing Safari to 32 bit mode via Get Info seems to have cured the constant crash message on the BBC web site (and others ) when they use Flash.
post #17 of 34
and this definitely should not happen but it nows runs faster than before ?
post #18 of 34
Quote:

Yes it does
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

I do as well. First thing I checked was BBC and first video clip I trip caused a failure and its very easy to recreate.

Am wondering if its worth reinstalling Flash or if there s a new verson for 10.6.5 ??

What version of Flash are you using? I am using 10.6.5 and the latest Adobe Flash Player square beta with no issues. I'll do some more testing when I get home.
post #20 of 34
Quote:

No issues here at all with flash - I don't suppose you're using a beta version of the plug-in at the moment are you? I know how users like to be 'ahead of the game'. The current 'stable' version is 10.1.102.64.
post #21 of 34
Quote:

check the image below:

I have to disagree on that one. There are many websites that require the Acrobat Reader plugin instead of Preview to be used effectively.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I have to disagree on that one. There are many websites that require the Acrobat Reader plugin instead of Preview to be used effectively.

Links to them, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More accurate results in Top Sites

If I visit any URL twice, it shows up on my Top Sites. Absolutely nothing was fixed.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #23 of 34
Still hangs on quite a few sites before loading them. Almost as if it's having problems resolving DNS. Firefox is instant when I go to the same sites, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening
Could be a flash issue, but why would FF be working perfectly?
post #24 of 34
Maybe Apple also delayed iOS 4.2 to update Mobile Safari too? Oddly, Apple has never updated Mobile Safari separately from iOS updates...
post #25 of 34
Confirmed - this latest Safari update is not very compatible with the newest version of flash.
I've had problems with these sites:
www.ctv.ca
www.kcrw.com

Glitchy and has intermittent problems.
I'm starting to wonder if Apple isn't intentionally doing this out of some sort of spite?\
It's just getting bizarre now. It's not the mac OS, FF works 100%

Oh well, this version also doesn't make the 'dock'.
Firefox for another 4 months it is...

Oh, should mention that this is with Leopard. Not sure how it's performing with SL.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Links to them, please.

Ummm, no one is in the habit of remembering websites that don't work. Instead, we fix the problem by running Safari in 32-bit mode and using the Reader plugin. But... one that under no circumstances will work with Preview is our company's payroll printing function. If you want to print your paycheck summary/stub, you have to have Reader as the viewer. This system uses SAP so I would imagine that other sites that use SAP on the back end will quite likely have the same limitation.
post #27 of 34
Dont know how to tell which version is being used but it is the version that you download from the apple.com site (downloaded when I installed 10.5.5, so am assuming its nothing unusual.
post #28 of 34
Found out how to check flash version and it is indeed 10,1,102,64 installed.
post #29 of 34
Hhmmm. I thought that Apple said that all updates for Tiger had stopped. Including security updates.

Did I misunderstand that?

And now there's a Safari update specifically for Tiger. Huh - what gives?
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Hhmmm. I thought that Apple said that all updates for Tiger had stopped. Including security updates.

This is a Safari update, not a Mac OS X 10.4 update. Even if that version of Safari is only for Tiger now, its still a Safari update.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #31 of 34
Quote:

Flash for Mac is still only 32 bit and it simply doesn't work correctly in Safari in 64 bit.

There is actually a 64bit flash player for mac, though its only a developer preview.

Here is some info on it

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Adobe calls it "Square" and you can download it from here....

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

just scroll down to 64-bit Release Players and download. I've had it installed for a while so I can't remember if it runs any faster/better...
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Starting with 10.3, Apple will continue producing updates for an abandoned system if they feel it advances their agenda. In the case of 10.3, it was to perpetuate $ flowing into their pocket from the 10.3 user via iTunes store.

In the case of 10.4, it helps keep Safari marketshare up, and widens the deployment of Adobe-thwarting technology.
post #33 of 34
Quote:

Pleased to say that the new release has cured BBC video problems here.

Snow Leopard 10.6.5, Flash 10,1,102,64, ClickToFlash 1.5.4 (BBC site whitelisted). Safari running 64-bit, Flash 32-bit.

OS X and iOS user

OS X and iOS user

post #34 of 34
So... I'm the only person to ever see the cosmetic retardation that happens (occasionally) while launching a new tab? Whole header part of Safari turns white, shifts down, content area clears out, things jump around then reorients with a new tab in place.

I suppose so, Apple still hasn't fixed it...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple releases Safari 5.0.3, 4.1.3 with bug fixes, security updates