or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad 2 suppliers to ramp up in Q1 2011 - rumor

Apple's iPad 2 suppliers to ramp up in Q1 2011 - rumor

post #1 of 75
An overseas report has obtained the names of several suppliers that will provide parts for Apple's next-generation iPad, claiming that shipments of the new iPad will ramp up in February 2011.

Industry sources told Taiwanese industry publication Digitimes that Ibiden, Tripod Technology and TTM Technologies will serve as Apple's initial Printed Circuit Board suppliers for the as-yet-unannounced next-generation of the successful tablet device.

The three companies have reportedly "received certification from Apple," and will begin shipping small quantities of any-layer High Density Interconnect boards in December, according to the report's sources.

In February 2011, four more suppliers will be added as "shipments of the new iPads ramp up" for the tablet's expected first quarter 2011 launch, according to the report.

Reports of a Q1 2011 launch for the next-gen iPad line up with earlier Digitimes reports from other suppliers. In September, the publication claimed that Apple's touch panel and reinforced glass suppliers will begin shipments for the second generation iPad in early 2011.

In September, sources told AppleInsider that FaceTime-equipped next-gen iPads should be introduced no later than the first quarter of next year, ahead of Apple's traditional 12-month product cycle. With FaceTime already running on the iPhone, iPod touch and the Mac, the iPad is a likely candidate for the continued expansion of Apple's video chat service. Next year's iPad revision is rumored to add a forward-facing camera and a 5 megapixel rear camera.

Rumors of a smaller 7-inch iPad swirled this fall until Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs dispelled them during a quarterly earnings conference call. "The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software," Jobs said in October.

Apple reportedly developed a 7-inch iPad alongside the original tablet device, but decided not to release it. Comments made by Jobs may support that rumor, as he claims Apple has done "extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years."

"We really understand this stuff," Jobs said.
post #2 of 75
Just as I am thinking about buying one in the next week! lol
post #3 of 75
"any-layer High Density Interconnect boards"?
Perhaps many-layer or multi-layer, but who cares if it passes spellcheck?
post #4 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You may want to hold that purchase till the iPad 2 comes out.
post #5 of 75
I'm still wondering which device should be my next purchase. The Macbook Air or the iPad 2?.?
post #6 of 75
Guess this news will put off my new iPad purchase as well. I was planning on spending my bonus on one but with v2 in sight, a Kindle3 will have to do for a month or three.

And mgl323... both ;-)
post #7 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I'm still wondering which device should be my next purchase. The Macbook Air or the iPad 2?.?

I bought my wife an iPad for her birthday. I've played with it and there are some really cool apps and I really like it. Lots of fun. But when the MacBook Airs came out: hot damn they look cool. I still haven't used one since I don't have an Apple store close to me. I don't have the cash to drop right now but I want an Air. If Apple were to release a MacBook Air 15" game over. I will be selling some AAPL shares to get one.
Good luck with the decision. You will have a great piece of hardware either way.

Brian
post #8 of 75
I just can't see them adding a rear camera on the iPad2. It seems so out of place. Sure, it'll be easy to do it, and maybe makes sense for FaceTime, to have dual cameras... But very odd to have an additional rear camera on a big tablet.
I hope reduced weight is the primary goal here.
post #9 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfocal View Post

Guess this news will put off my new iPad purchase as well. I was planning on spending my bonus on one but with v2 in sight, a Kindle3 will have to do for a month or three.

And mgl323... both ;-)

That will take time then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

I bought my wife an iPad for her birthday. I've played with it and there are some really cool apps and I really like it. Lots of fun. But when the MacBook Airs came out: hot damn they look cool. I still haven't used one since I don't have an Apple store close to me. I don't have the cash to drop right now but I want an Air. If Apple were to release a MacBook Air 15" game over. I will be selling some AAPL shares to get one.
Good luck with the decision. You will have a great piece of hardware either way.

Brian

Thanks for the insight, I need something that's really light and portable for traveling and school. And I also agree with the MacBook Air 15", I would buy it the first day it comes out! haha
post #10 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I just can't see them adding a rear camera on the iPad2. It seems so out of place. Sure, it'll be easy to do it, and maybe makes sense for FaceTime, to have dual cameras... But very odd to have an additional rear camera on a big tablet.

I agree, but I do think Apple will include a rear camera primarily for Facetime, and it will probably record 720p.
post #11 of 75
Quote:

Apple will put a rear facing camera on the iPad 2 but not for reasons most people think. Apple wants to get the iPad entrenched into enterprise as a multi-use device for companies looking for adaptable solutions. That rear camera has many uses for inventory, archiving, bar code scanning, identification comparisons (security), and who knows what some programmer will come up with. My bet is that it won't be long until the credit card readers for the iPhone and iPod touch start appearing for the iPad also. This is why Steve Jobs publicly criticized the 7" form factor tabs such as RIM's. He doesn't want those thought of as the "business tablets." This is Apple's chance to finally gain a beach head in enterprise and my guess is that Apple is going to throw the kitchen sink at it.

Brian
post #12 of 75
I personally know two individuals who are waiting for the iPad 2 before buying one, and I don't know all that many people! And both of whom were originally skeptical of the iPad's value.

Provided there's not some major problem with it, I think the iPad 2 will entrench the iPad at the head of the tablet market for years to come. Expect some major FUD from Google around that time.
post #13 of 75
I've had mine since the week the G3 versions came out. I use it constantly. For that reason, I plan to buy each new model. The developers are only a few months behind in their ability to adapt to each new hardware innovation. So for me, the introduction of a new iPad means new ways to use it will only be a few months off. FaceTime capability is certainly a must have reason to adopt the next one too. And I'll be keeping this one for the same reasons I have it in my lap now.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #14 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I personally know two individuals who are waiting for the iPad 2 before buying one, and I don't know all that many people! And both of whom were originally skeptical of the iPad's value.

Provided there's not some major problem with it, I think the iPad 2 will entrench the iPad at the head of the tablet market for years to come. Expect some major FUD from Google around that time.

I generally don't have money to burn, so it's my standard practice to wait until at least the 2G of anything before seriously considering a purchase. I figure that most of the major bugs will be squashed by then. If I was rich, I would love to be the first guy on the block to get the newest widget from Apple, but sadly, that is not my fate. So, I have to wait and enviously read about everyone else's experiences (well, envious of the good experiences, not so envious of the bad experiences!!) for about a year.

I'm not as cool as I wish I was. Sigh.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #15 of 75
So what version of iOS will it have? Considering 4.2 is coming out in November I cannot imagine on the software side it will be much of an advancement.
post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

So what version of iOS will it have? Considering 4.2 is coming out in November I cannot imagine on the software side it will be much of an advancement.

4.2.1 is already the next system version but that includes FaceTime capability in the other iOS devices so it's not necessarily much newer. But the hardware may leapfrog the iPhone 4 with an even faster processor and larger system RAM, although it will certainly have at least the iPhone 4's 512MB System RAM if not 1GB. Current model only has 256 MB System RAM. \

post #17 of 75
Quote:

Dude, if you haven't seen the 11 inch baby air. OMFG! it is so bad a**!
post #18 of 75
If Apple do it right, and by "right" I mean a faster dual core CPU, at least 200 ppi IPS screen, a Gig of RAM, two cameras and lighter, they will have a very big problem on their hands:
How can they make them fast enough?

Really hope they learnt the lesson of iPad and iPhone 4 launch.
post #19 of 75
Quote:

I would guess 4.3, and mobile iWorks 2.
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Just talked to my brother last night and he mentioned he was waiting for the "new" iPad to come out before he got one. My brother has never been aware of Mac product cycles. His family has just converted over to the Mac side in the last 4 years and it has never occurred to him that he has been buying MacBooks and iPod Touches just weeks before updates.
This tells me that there is a lot of buzz, even within non-techy circles...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #21 of 75
They should do a 7" iPad though
- I think they will once they see how cool all the other 7" devices are....!
post #22 of 75
Quote:

You may want to hold that purchase till the iPad 2 comes out.

This is a very good suggestion for anybody budgetting their cash for an iPad. I just have this feeling that the upgrade will be rather impressive.
post #23 of 75
Quote:

That rear camera has many uses for inventory, archiving, bar code scanning, identification comparisons (security)...

Ad augmented reality to that list. AR is gonna be HUGE on the next iPad.
post #24 of 75
Makes complete sense. Most of the so called "serious" competition for the iPad is due out Q1 2011, just as they are getting released Apple will announce the iPad 2 making them obsolete overnight and pushing them out of the news..... very smart!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #25 of 75
Quote:

I agree, but I do think Apple will include a rear camera primarily for Facetime, and it will probably record 720p.

We all decided that Apple left off the rear-facing camera from the iPad in order to make it a better and stronger product. We decided that nobody wants to hold up a big tablet to take a photo, because they would look like a dork.
post #26 of 75
Quote:

Apple will put a rear facing camera on the iPad 2 but not for reasons most people think. Apple wants to get the iPad entrenched into enterprise as a multi-use device for companies looking for adaptable solutions. That rear camera has many uses for inventory, archiving, bar code scanning, identification comparisons (security), and who knows what some programmer will come up with. My bet is that it won't be long until the credit card readers for the iPhone and iPod touch start appearing for the iPad also. This is why Steve Jobs publicly criticized the 7" form factor tabs such as RIM's. He doesn't want those thought of as the "business tablets." This is Apple's chance to finally gain a beach head in enterprise and my guess is that Apple is going to throw the kitchen sink at it.

Brian

All this was predicted for the original iPad, and it never happened because Apple decided that the iPad was better without a camera.
post #27 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Just talked to my brother last night and he mentioned he was waiting for the "new" iPad to come out before he got one. My brother has never been aware of Mac product cycles. His family has just converted over to the Mac side in the last 4 years and it has never occurred to him that he has been buying MacBooks and iPod Touches just weeks before updates.
This tells me that there is a lot of buzz, even within non-techy circles...

I think the iPhone has made folks aware there's a regular update pattern...
post #28 of 75
The RSS feed to this story takes me here

http://www.pheedo.com/

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You still should.

This isn't exactly shocking. iPad will likely follow the same pattern as every other iOS device and get yearly updates. The question is whether or not iOS will get updated when the new iPad is released or the new iPhone is released. Waiting for iOS 4.2 this year for iPad has been a real drag.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #30 of 75
Quote:

Believe me there is already a build of iOS floating around Apple HQ supporting the new features in iPad 2. Many of the expected new features are already supported on iPhone 4, so at best they would need to tweak drivers. The last thing Apple would want to have to do is create device specific apps, especially after going to the trouble of merging the iPhone and iPad branches. If the new iPad 2 does need new software features, iOS will simply be updated for all devices.

By the way there is a good possibility that iPad Two will have new software features not supported on old hardware. OpenCL is a very good possibility for example. On old hardware developers would have to run default CPU code. The same basic concept applies for support of any new hardware.

Someone else commented about Apple doing the hardware right. I lean to hoping that is the case, that is they take their development teams and put themselves a step ahead of the new A9 based machines. I'm not absolutely sure which is the best path to take, a dual core A9 derived chip at 1.5 GHz or a quad core A9 running at 750 MHz.

Some might respond in horror at a lower clock rate but A9 is far more efficient plus Apple has patented alot of interesting CPU technology that might speed up code even more. The concept is interest though, if Apple can get better performance out of a lower clocked core then they can consider jumping right past the dual core crowd.

Of course that is just the CPU, there is much that can be done with the rest of the SoC, including a beefier GPU, fast ports such as SATA and other specialized hardware. IPad would be most interesting if it supported the new Blade SSDs. 256GB in an iPad would be so sweet.
post #31 of 75
Quote:

Brian

I agree!

An iPad with a rear-facing * camera won't replace a iPhone or point-and-shoot camera. But there are lots of uses for business, medical, creatives, etc.

Think of real estate or insurance appraisers, interior designers, augmented reality navigation (mall, theme park, museum).

As a personal/business use the rear-facing * camera could be used in lieu of an optical scanner to capture full-page documents (and provide OCR translation).

* rear-facing -- what an unusual mental image is conjured up by that phrase

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #32 of 75
Quote:

This is just a thought but I wonder if there is a way to utilize the same camera to be either front or back. There are few times one would need both. It would be possible using some kind of controllable prism I would think. (I resisted any serious reference to smoke and mirrors )
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

They should do a 7" iPad though
- I think they will once they see how cool all the other 7" devices are....!

I actually think Steve was just being an a$$ or a business owner in trying to discredit what has the potential of being very stiff competition. What people don't realize is that we actually see entirely different usage patterns between iPad and this lusted for device size. Much in the same way that Touch is used completely differently than an iPad.

I'm hoping Steve is just playing with their minds while new hardware is in the oven. He certainly has done such things before.
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree!

An iPad with a rear-facing * camera won't replace a iPhone or point-and-shoot camera. But there are lots of uses for business, medical, creatives, etc.

Think of real estate or insurance appraisers, interior designers, augmented reality navigation (mall, theme park, museum).

As a personal/business use the rear-facing * camera could be used in lieu of an optical scanner to capture full-page documents (and provide OCR translation).

* rear-facing -- what an unusual mental image is conjured up by that phrase

All of this was said, over and over, about the original iPad. Fact is, Apple decided that the product was better without any cameras.

The clear consensus around here is that a front-facing camera would give a view up the sender's nose, and a rear facing camera is impractical on a big device like an iPad.

Apple chose to make the iPad without cameras for VERY good reasons.
post #35 of 75
Quote:

Interesting question!

I would guess it will be iOS 5 -- and be used on the iPhone a few months later.

I suspect that it will use a new A5 CPU and a GPU with OpenCL capabilities -- with performance exceeding many of today's laptops.

A 7" iPad will be offered if/when the demand warrants it.

post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

All of this was said, over and over, about the original iPad. Fact is, Apple decided that the product was better without the camera.

That was a decision made a year ago -- for whatever reasons.

This is now!

We, and Apple, have ~= 9 months of experience under our belts.

Haven't you ever heard: "new and improved"; "we waited until we could do it right"; "we listened to our users and...".

Things change -- we adapt or die!

post #37 of 75
Carbon-fiber outer shell?
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

We all decided that Apple left off the rear-facing camera from the iPad in order to make it a better and stronger product. We decided that nobody wants to hold up a big tablet to take a photo, because they would look like a dork.

Who's this "we"?

Steve decides -- we abides!

The iPad was designed with space for at least 1 camera

BTW, you can take a picture with a camera without holding it up with your hands -- tripod, stand, mounting, etc.

How do you conjugate the verb dork?

post #39 of 75
Quote:

Brian

Apple is going to have to throw a HUGE kitchen sink because the Android camp is going full steam ahead in the enterprise world. Samsung is leading the charge as of right now. I have a buddy who works for them and he says Samsung is in negotiations with quite a lot of enterprise companies and even universities about it. Of course he refuses to name who they are. Understandable.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Believe me there is already a build of iOS floating around Apple HQ supporting the new features in iPad 2. Many of the expected new features are already supported on iPhone 4, so at best they would need to tweak drivers. The last thing Apple would want to have to do is create device specific apps, especially after going to the trouble of merging the iPhone and iPad branches. If the new iPad 2 does need new software features, iOS will simply be updated for all devices.

By the way there is a good possibility that iPad Two will have new software features not supported on old hardware. OpenCL is a very good possibility for example. On old hardware developers would have to run default CPU code. The same basic concept applies for support of any new hardware.

Someone else commented about Apple doing the hardware right. I lean to hoping that is the case, that is they take their development teams and put themselves a step ahead of the new A9 based machines. I'm not absolutely sure which is the best path to take, a dual core A9 derived chip at 1.5 GHz or a quad core A9 running at 750 MHz.

Some might respond in horror at a lower clock rate but A9 is far more efficient plus Apple has patented alot of interesting CPU technology that might speed up code even more. The concept is interest though, if Apple can get better performance out of a lower clocked core then they can consider jumping right past the dual core crowd.

Of course that is just the CPU, there is much that can be done with the rest of the SoC, including a beefier GPU, fast ports such as SATA and other specialized hardware. IPad would be most interesting if it supported the new Blade SSDs. 256GB in an iPad would be so sweet.

+++

Wish I'd read ahead to this post before writing mine!

(I am strongly resisting forking this thread into a discussion of iOS A5 Blade Servers)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad 2 suppliers to ramp up in Q1 2011 - rumor