or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues - Page 4

post #121 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is what happens when you flood the market by whoring out your OS to anyone who can slam together a box.

The elitist comes out of his mansion on cue.
post #122 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Why are there so many people who despise Apple and it's products parking their carcasses on AI? Are they paid to do so? What do they gain from the constant sniping? They have an automatic gag-reflex with anything pro-Apple or anti-other. I can't understand why they are here except to annoy people, seriously can't you go elsewhere? If you cannot coherently and logically argue your case, I would prefer not to read your posts. Although there is some comedy relief in these ridiculous posts.

Maybe.....just maybe, there are those of us who own Apple devices and other devices.
post #123 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Prior to the release of the iPod with video, Jobs disparaged watching video on a handheld device.

Prior to the release of the iPad and iBooks, Jobs disparaged reading in general, saying nobody reads anymore.

Prior to the release of AppleTV, Jobs had made many comments about Apple not getting into TV as it's a passive activity that Apple wasn't interested in.

Ever get the feeling that his public comments may be a way to throw the competition off Apple's tracks?

Steve is well known for his "kicks", and was probably genuinely against all of these before he was for them.
post #124 of 269
rant deleted
post #125 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Your being a bit disingenuous here yourself to say the least.

In the first place, your talking about the actual developers statements. The Angry Birds people took the time to port their game to Android and did as best as they could to make it work but the fragmentation got them. I don't know how you can spin that as "people who favour the iphone" or people who don't know what they are talking about.

Secondly, they published a list of at least a dozen Android phones that the game simply won't work on at all, and a simple visit to the comments thread or the store selling it will give you many reports of people who have 'approved' phones that the game doesn't run on either. All this after much development work on the part of the games creators. Do you really think they spent all that time on it, but somehow purposely screwed it up, just so they could cry foul? (they aren't even crying foul btw they are trying to fix it).

Lastly, you are arguing that there is no problem, but then advising people to play it with all network connectivity turned off so it will work right? Seriously? And you don't see the problem with that statement or how it basically proves the opposite of what you are arguing?

If we are going to be totally honest here, Angry Birds needs a good amount of memory and a good processor to run "smoothly" and it doesn't even run "smoothly" on an iPhone 4 if you have less than a gig or two of storage left. It's the only game I've ever played on the iPhone that I've had to crash out of or reboot the phone to get it to run again. Given that almost all Android phones on the market right now have much lesser processing power and much less storage than iPhone 4, it's pretty much a given that they are going to see some choppy-ness and glitches.

Making out like it "runs smooth as silk" (for you) just makes you look foolish. It's not believable.

I agree, if I see the crash logs from xcode organiser it will be angry birds backtraces of low memory aka memory leaks(which might require reboots) & crashes. The Game needs serious attention from it's developers.
post #126 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

seriously, the second person on the comments is claiming to bring a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit for Verizon misrepresenting android's updates/features and other things.

the rest of the comments, I only read most of the first section, its simple UI questions to outright disgust and litigation filings.... NICE ONE!

I know you probably just grabbed the article for the update quickly, as many android users seem to miss the forest for the trees. If an apple product had a fraction of this response to their products the media would be reporting as if the sky had fallen. Android's fragmented mess is clearly not heard like the supposed antennagate. Yet everyday windows PC's experience viruses, malware, malicious code, BSODs and other common issues and that is the cost of doing business.
Android now is serving the mobile void for such yet a niche that windows has just yet jumped into. From fragmentation, to the idiots that let some hobbyist Fandroid open up their mobile device for 10 bucks and forget to change all default passwords, to the people running malicious code behind their android apps. Wait to you have the chinese app store with people running some evil code for some free wallpapers, bam, then the whole internet has access to your private data...
THANX GOOGLE!!

But since you fandroids have Stockholm Syndrome...you will blame the person who bought the android phone in the first place, claiming them not to be technical enough to have a cool phone. lol

like I said, some fandroid will blame the victims for doing what they were supposed to do from verizon or google...lol

UnleashSS 3 months ago:
"Wow, you people bitch so f**king much about "OMG FLASH ISN'T ON ANDROID 2.2 F**K VERIZON" and "OMG, I HAVE 5 HOME SCREENS I DON'T EVEN NEED." First of all, maybe you should all root your phones and you wouldn't even have this problem. I've had Android 2.2 WAAAAAAAY before it even came out (BuglessBeast v1.3) and Flash 10.1, as well as Hot-spot functionality. So your best bet is to just root your phone, and not be scared of f**king it up. Trust me, it's way better than dealing with this "OTA 2.2" bullshit that sucks ass. By the way, the Android 2.2 OTA update bricked (destroyed, doesn't boot up, froze on logo) a LOT of people's HTC EVO's with Sprint. So I'd be careful if I were you.

Those of you stuck on the "Motorola M" logo or "Droid" eye, it just means your phone is stuck in a BOOTLOOP. EIther because, when the update got installed, it failed to wipe data/cache. All you have to do is reboot into Recovery mode, wipe data/cache and redownload it again. Problem SOLVED! No need to bitch out Motorola, or Verizon for a new phone, or whatever you're complaining about without FIRST doing research on what's wrong with it."

and its on the same blog you referenced...it's comedic gold. I mean guaranteed UnleashSS lost everyone he was "trying to help", it's more likely serious case of passive-aggressive superiority complex being worked out on innocent android captives.

he had me at bootloop...

Next time you post please be polite enough to use grammar and communicate with some eloquence. It is painful trying to decipher your posts.
post #127 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Next time you post please be polite enough to use grammar and communicate with some eloquence. It is painful trying to decipher your posts.

Oh the irony!
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #128 of 269
This is why the top two mobile OSes should be iOS and Win 7 Phone OS. Both require stringent commonality in regards to hardware specs and software specs. I use my old iPhone 3GS as a wifi device now and my Samsung Focus as my smartphone and love it.

Some folks will prefer iOS over Win7 Phone OS and vice versa, but I think either choice is beter than Android (and I say that unhappily) due to the too wide of variety in the Android market.
post #129 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

I've posted on other boards as well about this subject and will post here as well. There was an article on Asymco about the lack of any common DRM framework on Android. The article also brought up the prospect of the Android fragmentation not only being impossible to rein in but that it may actually be by design.

From Netflix blog:

The hurdle has been the lack of a generic and complete platform security and content protection mechanism available for Android. The same security issues that have led to piracy concerns on the Android platform have made it difficult for us to secure a common Digital Rights Management (DRM) system on these devices.

Setting aside the debate around the value of content protection and DRM, they are requirements we must fulfill in order to obtain content from major studios for our subscribers to enjoy. Although we dont have a common platform security mechanism and DRM, we are able to work with individual handset manufacturers to add content protection to their devices.

Unfortunately, this is a much slower approach and leads to a fragmented experience on Android, in which some handsets will have access to Netflix and others wont.


Also from Asymco:

Recently Google TV was blocked from all major US TV content and Google faced litigation from copyright holders in print publications and before that for YouTube infringements and before that from newspaper publishers for Google News unlicensed reuse of their content.

I agree that Google seems to have no intent to control the very ecosystem/platform they've unleashed. It's as though Google wants a chaotic free-for-all on the Internet space. What they don't want is a large sliver of that space being controlled by the likes of Apple, Microsoft or anyone else for that matter. Google doesn't want control. Google only wants the "free" space on which they can sell ads and the more "open" and "freer" it is, the more advantageous their position. Google's very goal is to break down the proprietary control of "competing" ecosystems and content owners.

Google's business model and its strategy to execute on that model is indeed a major threat to all traditional tech and media content companies that own IP and copyrighted material - from software companies to TV/movie studios, etc. Google is leveraging the very power of the Internet, which is owned by no one. It is actually a very well thought-out strategy of profiting from the chaos and fragmentation that they hope will overwhelm the efforts of "closed" or integrated ecosystem players like Apple, Microsoft, Nokia or anyone else - even the likes of major backend players like IBM, HP, Oracle, SAP, etc.

Meanwhile, Google's hardware partners (the Android phone/tablet/TV vendors) who don't have the means to take on the integrated players with their own software ecosystem/platform offerings are getting more and more deeply entangled in Google's sticky and ever expanding web as mere commodity providers from which they have no means to escape. They're essentially pawns who do the dirty work of undercutting Google's chief platform adversaries and then getting virtually nothing in return. Ditto for the software developers on the Google platform...

Google's aim is to commoditize the entire Internet infrastructure on which they can profit from through their search monopoly. Taking a page or two from Microsoft's playbook which Gates used so effectively during the 80's and the 90's to dominate the PC industry, Google is using its search monopoly position to render all other proprietary players irrelevant through their use of "open" source software and the marketing of "free" services as search, YouTube, Picasa, Gmail, Google Docs, Maps, etc. How can consumers argue against "free" stuff?

Another interesting article from the Harvard Business Review about why Google is losing this battle with this strategy:

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2010/11/did_...own_enemi.html

Aysmco's Horace Dediu summarized it well:

"Android is powerful, but as Google is finding out, power can be very dangerous without control."

With great power comes, great responsibility.
post #130 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that when your device needs "rooting" in order to gain access to certain feature it's called NOT OPEN (aka locked down).

I am not sure how many ways are you trying to spin this, but face the facts already.

There is not one single android phone out there that is not LOCKED DOWN. Even google's own Nexus one is LOCKED DOWN.

Ive already explained why its called an open os, and its u whos trying to "spin" this.

you know youre wrong and now youre blatantly trolling. the forum gives us ignore lists for a reason... Have fun posting the same idiotic bs over and over, troll.
post #131 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

While I agree that people with jobs have no reason to pirate apps, that doesn't mean they don't.

I work with a guy who walks around about once a month "advertising" that he will jailbreak your iPhone for you for $10. Part of his pitch is that "you could have gotten all those Apps on your phone for FREE if it was jailbroken. Why would you pay for them if you can get them for free?"

His pitch works. He ends up jailbreaking phones all the time. Now he's pushing Android apps for free, too.

Along those same lines, I know plenty of employed adults who download music from LimeWire and torrent their movies.

Do me a favor and call him a cunt for me. Just say "this guy from the internet said youre a cunt." Lol

if someone walked around saying this at my company, I would fire them on the spot.
post #132 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

I don't appreciate being called a freeloader. Would you like me to send you my receipts from my Gmail account?

Wouldnt matter. He would just say OTHER people do it, and stick with his original comment.

Just listen to how they gang up on jailbreakers, dismissing every one of them as pirates even when one jailbreaker after another explains endlessly the reality of things.

Ignorance is bliss, but willful ignorance is disgusting.
post #133 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Completely overblown statements made by people who obviously favor the iPhone.

There isn't even a paid version of the game for Android, and the only thing that affects performance is the stupid ads! Literally, in airplane mode, the game is as smooth as silk. Turn 3g on, get ads, and watch the game's framerates drop immensely.

Obviously it's not as simple as just turning on Airplane Mode, or the developer of the game would recommend that users do that rather than having to reprogram the entire game. Maybe that little trick works with your shitty phone or your friend's shitty phone, but obviously the fragmented market of shitty Android phones is a bigger problem than you want to believe it is.

It's okay though. Just do what all you Android fanboys do when bad news comes out about your favoritist company -- stick your thumb in your butt and Google a picture of Sergey Brin and you'll feel better.
post #134 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The developer of "Angry Birds," a top-selling iPhone game, reported that bringing the title to Android devices ended up more difficult than anticipated due to fragmentation within the open platform.

According to a CNET report, the title's developer Rovio Mobile apologized for poor performance across a variety of Android devices, explaining that, "despite our efforts, we were unsuccessful in delivering optimal performance."

The company added, "So far, we have hesitated to create multiple versions of Angry Birds for the Android platform. But judging by the feedback we have received, we feel that by providing a lightweight solution, we are doing a favor for our fans. We are currently developing a lighter solution to run Angry Birds on lower-end Android devices."

Screenshot of "lightweight" Angry Birds for Android, courtesy of Daniel Sandler:


"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #135 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Just because you pay more, doesn't mean you get more. You pay for the badge, and that's little more than in the minds of the buyer. Porsche's nameplate is based on their racing history, and most of that was in racing American makers weren't even participating in. Ford actually has a more illustrious racing history than Porsche. To me, they're little more than a glorified Volkswagen Beetle that was financed by Adolph Hitler - the biggest mass murder in recent history. That's exactly the humble beginnings from which they came.

LOLOL!!!! Yes, we have declared a winner in the flame wars!!!
Bill Gates loves Porsches
Bill Gates created Windows
Therefore Windows was caused by... Hitler!

P.S. angry birds android fragmentation eric schmidt is gay yada yada, see I'm still on-topic!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #136 of 269
if you go to any android forum, you'll understand what "Fragmentation" means.




Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is how Android Forums look like (androidforums.com)


Each phone has it's own subforum!! with different set of issues, problems, etc!!!


IT'S RIDICULOUS!! --- Android Developers have to make sure their app runs on ALL OF THESE PHONES!!!!!



post #137 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM View Post



source

Well Apple moved from os 9 to something TOTALLY different taking with it nexts operating system code, its called os X (or 10 as this roman numeral means). If it wasnt for that i probably wouldnt be using apples Intel hardware now would I??? Apple probably wouldnt had its IOS and kernel built with gcc for any platform available to their choosing.

There isnt much left from that apple in the 90:s. Maybe some important idealogical things but thats all.
post #138 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you didn't ban the guy quoted above for the vugarity. What to know what I find interesting about this forum is the amount of posts threads get. The posts that are totally unrelated to Apple products see the most hits because Apple fans somehow feel the need to bash any other product.

Take this thread for example the biggest bashers have most likel never used an Android device for more then 30 seconds if that. Why doesn't the guy that continues to post about Android in a font size of 300 in bold read letters get banned. That I find interesting.

Its called Appleinsider. I am sure that AndroidInsider bans the "iOS is much better than your crap" posts. What is trolling depends on the forum.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #139 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

seriously, the second person on the comments is claiming to bring a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit for Verizon misrepresenting android's updates/features and other things.

the rest of the comments, I only read most of the first section, its simple UI questions to outright disgust and litigation filings.... NICE ONE!

I know you probably just grabbed the article for the update quickly, as many android users seem to miss the forest for the trees. If an apple product had a fraction of this response to their products the media would be reporting as if the sky had fallen. Android's fragmented mess is clearly not heard like the supposed antennagate. Yet everyday windows PC's experience viruses, malware, malicious code, BSODs and other common issues and that is the cost of doing business.
Android now is serving the mobile void for such yet a niche that windows has just yet jumped into. From fragmentation, to the idiots that let some hobbyist Fandroid open up their mobile device for 10 bucks and forget to change all default passwords, to the people running malicious code behind their android apps. Wait to you have the chinese app store with people running some evil code for some free wallpapers, bam, then the whole internet has access to your private data...
THANX GOOGLE!!

But since you fandroids have Stockholm Syndrome...you will blame the person who bought the android phone in the first place, claiming them not to be technical enough to have a cool phone. lol

like I said, some fandroid will blame the victims for doing what they were supposed to do from verizon or google...lol

UnleashSS 3 months ago:
"Wow, you people bitch so f**king much about "OMG FLASH ISN'T ON ANDROID 2.2 F**K VERIZON" and "OMG, I HAVE 5 HOME SCREENS I DON'T EVEN NEED." First of all, maybe you should all root your phones and you wouldn't even have this problem. I've had Android 2.2 WAAAAAAAY before it even came out (BuglessBeast v1.3) and Flash 10.1, as well as Hot-spot functionality. So your best bet is to just root your phone, and not be scared of f**king it up. Trust me, it's way better than dealing with this "OTA 2.2" bullshit that sucks ass. By the way, the Android 2.2 OTA update bricked (destroyed, doesn't boot up, froze on logo) a LOT of people's HTC EVO's with Sprint. So I'd be careful if I were you.

Those of you stuck on the "Motorola M" logo or "Droid" eye, it just means your phone is stuck in a BOOTLOOP. EIther because, when the update got installed, it failed to wipe data/cache. All you have to do is reboot into Recovery mode, wipe data/cache and redownload it again. Problem SOLVED! No need to bitch out Motorola, or Verizon for a new phone, or whatever you're complaining about without FIRST doing research on what's wrong with it."

and its on the same blog you referenced...it's comedic gold. I mean guaranteed UnleashSS lost everyone he was "trying to help", it's more likely serious case of passive-aggressive superiority complex being worked out on innocent android captives.

he had me at bootloop...

There are lot of people praising andriods. And the first post was the killer as it sets the mindset of the people using it.
post #140 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Obviously it's not as simple as just turning on Airplane Mode, or the developer of the game would recommend that users do that rather than having to reprogram the entire game. Maybe that little trick works with your shitty phone or your friend's shitty phone, but obviously the fragmented market of shitty Android phones is a bigger problem than you want to believe it is.

It's okay though. Just do what all you Android fanboys do when bad news comes out about your favoritist company -- stick your thumb in your butt and Google a picture of Sergey Brin and you'll feel better.

Well as it turns out, this is more of a case of a shitty developer than a shitty phone. I posted that the ads thing has been fixed in an update. TRY to at least keep up with the discussion.

Btw, did you not happen to read about the games performance issues on the iphone? A non fragmented os!?

There really wasnt any reason for your shitty atitude and response. The fact that your shitty choice of shitty words was all you could think of tells me you see a point being made that for some reason u wont accept. Why would u give a shit if you dont even own an android phone?

Btw, by all accounts the galaxy s is far from a shitty phone, but clearly your reasoning only goes as far as 'if it isnt an iphone, then it must be shitty.' A sign of a true imbecile.
post #141 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While its called Appleinsider there is also an entire world going on around Apple. Other compaies produce products, so we should be able to have a rational logical debate regarding other products.

As soon as some sees BB, Android, Mirosoft or Amazon its like their head starts to spin around in circles and they go into attack mode. Trolls can be on both sides.

A crazy Apple fan is just as much of a troll as anyone else, if not more so.

Not really on this forum. In fact there are posters here who are clearly defensive about Android phones. Chronster's first post on the issue is a bit of a hoot

Quote:
Completely overblown statements made by people who obviously favor the iPhone.

There isn't even a paid version of the game for Android, and the only thing that affects performance is the stupid ads! Literally, in airplane mode, the game is as smooth as silk. Turn 3g on, get ads, and watch the game's framerates drop immensely.

Defensive, much? The first claim is that the developers favour the iPhone. The second defence of the game on Android is that it works if you go to Airplane mode, thus DISABLING the device as a phone. This is the claims of a blinkered fan-boy.

Thats the kind of thing you would expect on an Android loving forum, where they are quite happy with using the term Crapple.

This forum is about Apple. By definition I assume that people here prefer OS X, or iOS. If not then I would suggest MobileInsider, or AndroidInsider. ( I make up names but you know what I mean).

There can be plenty of debates within the limited parameters of being Apple fans - what should Apple release next, how can Apple continue to grow, what do we want in iPhone 5 etc.

This kind of thing is common on the internet. Soccer forums dedicated to the Liverpool football club have plenty of frank and heated debates on the future of the club, the nature of the management, the quality of the play - but nobody posts preferring Manchester United, because there are forums for Manchester united. And general soccer forums.

The debates here would be in that fashion: if you prefer Android, or are agnostic, there are other forums for you. In a partisan forum which this is I expect when the competition is shown to have a major flaw, as announced by a major games developer is that we all pile on. What we are getting is pro-Android fan boys with excuses. Its a big internet. Find your slot.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #142 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is how android forums look like (androidforums.com)


each phone has it's own subforum!! With different set of issues, problems, etc!!!


it's ridiculous!! --- android developers have to make sure their app runs on all of these phones!!!!!




holy crap if i were an android user i would have no idea which to choose. If it is true android is not fragmented in hardware/software (which i believe to be), it is surely fragmented in making a "choice" as to what device to choose!!
post #143 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Not really on this forum. In fact there are posters here who are clearly defensive about Android phones. Chronster's first post on the issue is a bit of a hoot



Defensive, much? The first claim is that the developers favour the iPhone. The second defence of the game on Android is that it works if you go to Airplane mode, thus DISABLING the device as a phone. This is the claims of a blinkered fan-boy.

Thats the kind of thing you would expect on an Android loving forum, where they are quite happy with using the term Crapple.

This forum is about Apple. By definition I assume that people here prefer OS X, or iOS. If not then I would suggest MobileInsider, or AndroidInsider. ( I make up names but you know what I mean).

There can be plenty of debates within the limited parameters of being Apple fans - what should Apple release next, how can Apple continue to grow, what do we want in iPhone 5 etc.

This kind of thing is common on the internet. Soccer forums dedicated to the Liverpool football club have plenty of frank and heated debates on the future of the club, the nature of the management, the quality of the play - but nobody posts preferring Manchester United, because there are forums for Manchester united. And general soccer forums.

The debates here would be in that fashion: if you prefer Android, or are agnostic, there are other forums for you. In a partisan forum which this is I expect when the competition is shown to have a major flaw, as announced by a major games developer is that we all pile on. What we are getting is pro-Android fan boys with excuses. Its a big internet. Find your slot.

So only people who use EVERYTHING Apple are welcome?
post #144 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

So only people who use EVERYTHING Apple are welcome?

No. Most of what asdasd said is nonsense. You are free to dislike anything Apple here; however if you dislike Apple products and want to post about it, you have to make well-reasoned arguments backed up with evidence, otherwise it degenerates into nothing but trolling.

I do find the idea of being an "Apple fan" and simply unquestionably liking anything they come up with very odd.

let's review some dreadful/mediocre Apple products, shall we?

Hockey-puck mouse. Hang on. Any mouse with just one button for that matter.
iPod HiFi
The "fatty" iPod nano
iPod Shuffle with no buttons
AppleTV version 1
MacBook Air version 1
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #145 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

holy crap if i were an android user i would have no idea which to choose. If it is true android is not fragmented in hardware/software (which i believe to be), it is surely fragmented in making a "choice" as to what device to choose!!

It all depends on the type of app you make. Obviously if youre making a game and you need a good amount of graphical processing power, you wont be considering what a g1 is capable of. In fact, like with pc games, you may only offer smooth performance on the latest and greatest hardware at release, with next year's cheaper entry to mid level hardware running it smoothly later on (entry level 5 years from now could blow flagship phones of today out of the water for example.)

If you make something like an rss reader, you can broaden your list of supported phones...

Specific hardware code, like controlling the radio instance, will require the developer to focus on specific chipsets, and that results in some being supported and others not.
post #146 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yes you would. Most of those phones are so old they aren't even sold anymore. If you look at that list based on the post counts is pretty easy to see what Android phones everyone is using.

There is more then one TV brand out there does that mean because there is more then one you can't go to the store and figure out what TV you should buy?

How about a car?

TVs and cars arent good arguments because they are independent of future OS updates and apps.

TVs have standard inputs so the purchase comes down to specs, most of which starts with the size of the display for most people. Cars rarely get updated unless there is a recall, and they use a very standard and limited set of fuel types, so the decision mostly comes down to other factors.

With any device being purchase because of the OS users will expect that OS to work the same across the devices and that newer devices will be faster and more capable. People have come to expect this from desktop OSes and they will expect this from smartphones that are marketing the OS, such as Android. Since the models for different this may not always be the case, and what made Windows a a huge profit center for MS, will not necessarily work the same way for Android.

Note that MS has learned that lesson from WM6 the hard way and is now regulated what the HW requirements are for vendors who wish to license WP7. Also, Dell has stated that its cheaper to build for a WP7 device than for Android, despite Android being free and WP7 having a paid license per device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #147 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That's just plain silly. Why would Google pay people that make Android owners look like a bunch of annoying wankers?

Google don't need to pay to make them look like that, because they already are. They are paid to make silly statements to make Android looks good.

Quote:
If you insist they are shills then they belong to Apple, not Google.

Loyal customers don't need to be paid to promote high quality product. That's why "Apple shills" doesn't make sense.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #148 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Next time you post please be polite enough to use grammar and communicate with some eloquence. It is painful trying to decipher your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you didn't ban the guy quoted above for the vugarity. What to know what I find interesting about this forum is the amount of posts threads get. The posts that are totally unrelated to Apple products see the most hits because Apple fans somehow feel the need to bash any other product.

Take this thread for example the biggest bashers have most likel never used an Android device for more then 30 seconds if that. Why doesn't the guy that continues to post about Android in a font size of 300 in bold read letters get banned. That I find interesting.

You do realize the part that is rude is the quote from an android user bashing other android users with real issues with their phones.

perhaps if you understood context, you would see that I made the point and the exact situation I would presume to happen was illustrated on the example that TJW had for a source. He used it as an example to show how "on top" of the game Google/Verizon is(n't). They launch an update, and the vast majority of the responses stating the update went terribly wrong.

Where was I rude? Why should I get banned from what a fandroid attacking one?
post #149 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Screenshot of "lightweight" Angry Birds for Android, courtesy of Daniel Sandler:






Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

You do realize the part that is rude is the quote from an android user bashing other android users with real issues with their phones.

Im sure people missed it, but the comment from tjw you quoted is Mr. Hs cleaned up version. tjw was well out of order in his vulgarity and personal attack.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #150 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It all depends on the type of app you make. Obviously if youre making a game and you need a good amount of graphical processing power, you wont be considering what a g1 is capable of. In fact, like with pc games, you may only offer smooth performance on the latest and greatest hardware at release, with next year's cheaper entry to mid level hardware running it smoothly later on (entry level 5 years from now could blow flagship phones of today out of the water for example.)

If you make something like an rss reader, you can broaden your list of supported phones...

Specific hardware code, like controlling the radio instance, will require the developer to focus on specific chipsets, and that results in some being supported and others not.


smartphones are NOT PCs. users Shouldnt need to care or know about any of that crap!!

stop comparing smartphones to PCs!
post #151 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

With all these problems, it is very surprising that Android is so much more popular than iOS.

It isn't.

All Google has done is flood the market. In the US, the iPhone is available on only one carrier. It took oodles of Android phones to compete with Apple's ONE (or at most, two) phone. It's what you do when you can't compete on quality. Churn out as much junk as you can and you'll gain share by virtue of pushing sheer volume.

Consumers who want iPhones but are on a different carrier have to settle for a touch-screen Apple knockoff until the iPhone arrives - as we've seen in the news lately many would rather have an iPhone. No surprise there.

Google's biggest worry is the iphone spreading to other US carriers.
post #152 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I guarantee you that 95% (or more) of users will NOT find replacing the GUI trivial.
Again, devices built on the Android frameworks (let's stop calling it an OS please) appeal to chronic fiddlers and their unfortunate relatives who they talk into buying them.

LOL, yeah tell me about it.

I have an uncle who uses Linux because he likes the control/openness. Sadly he's an absolute liability, because he hasn't got a clue what he's doing.
post #153 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

ANDROID = What's the point in being OPEN when your phone is JUNK?

Which phone is Android's phone?
post #154 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

ANDROID = What's the point in being OPEN when your phone is JUNK?

or...whores are open too
post #155 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

This is why the top two mobile OSes should be iOS and Win 7 Phone OS.

No. Android SHOULD be the number one mobile OS. That is because people buy it more than iOS. That is what determines what should be the number one mobile OS.
post #156 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Screenshot of "lightweight" Angry Birds for Android, courtesy of Daniel Sandler:



Great screenshot.
post #157 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is how Android Forums look like (androidforums.com)


Each phone has it's own subforum!! with different set of issues, problems, etc!!!


IT'S RIDICULOUS!! --- Android Developers have to make sure their app runs on ALL OF THESE PHONES!!!!!






Unbelievable!
post #158 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

iOS also has some fragmentation, just not as bad as Android. 3 screen resolutions, 4 generations of processing power on the iPhone, a few on iPod Touches and of course 1 generation of iPads. Different memory sizes.

Again, not nearly as bad, but there is something.

It exists and Jobs forgets to mention it. To me it doesn't matter how much fragmentation there is, it's a matter if there is any. How many iPhone 3G users crippled their phone by upgrading to IOS 4? How many iPod Touch users couldn't figure out how to find their multi-tasking features after upgrading?

I have a 32 gig iPod Touch (just glad my version does multi-tasking) and a Droid X. I love them both. I could care less about how fragmented either market is. If I wanted to improve anything it would be I would like to customize my Touch like you can Android or any Windows Mobile phone. It still blows me away that all you can do is put shortcuts or folders on your home screen. How about some widgets.
post #159 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

It still blows me away that all you can do is put shortcuts or folders on your home screen. How about some widgets.

Yup. Homescreen design on iOS leaves a lot to be desired.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #160 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yup. Homescreen design on iOS leaves a lot to be desired.

I have an unlocked iPhone specifically to use LockInfo, an app that I paid $5 for, if I recall correctly.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=11959 I really hope that the WebOS guy Apple hired is working specifically on that task as I recall reading that he is the one that designed the great notification system for WebOS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues