or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues - Page 5

post #161 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

Well, first off, I'm not sure if you're saying Apple is bad or not, but I think you are because your title says Android Open, Android ONE. I apologize if I misunderstood you (I'm not the best reader)

If you are being negative about Apple's decision to be "closed" and don't allow freedom, well, think about this. The article proves that too much openness is bad, but also, it's actually good that Apple is closed and not so much open. Here's an example story.

Let's say Android is a name of a 1 year old boy. We will also say iOS is another 1 year old boy. They both go to the same kindergarden later. They later go to elementary school. Both are very good friends. They later go to middle school. As they mentally change, Android wants freedom. His parents say no. iOS wants also wants some freedom, but his parents specifically say no. They lock him up in his room just so that iOS doesn't have any change of escaping.

In the course of the next few months, Android keeps asking for freedom. His parents say no, so Android runs away. iOS stays where is and continues his education.

Android goes to a poor town without any money. iOS goes to one of many famous universities. iOS gets a job. Android lives on the street. Android becomes a criminal. Android becomes a bad, control-less person (maniac). Without anyone to "control" him, he doesn't know what is a right choice or a wrong choice. Android regrets having too much freedom, living outside of the control area.

Yes, the story might sound stupid, but take this situation in your life. If you were given all the freedom in your life without any guardian, you might be lost.

In the story, Apple is like the parent of iOS, while Google is the parent of Android. Apple strictly locked iOS up, so that he doesn't run away. It's like Apple in real world. Apple doesn't let us have so much freedom. Apple is very strict, but they are like our "parents" to protect us and guide us through our life. Google, the parent of Android, just takes freedom as not seriously. Google doesn't lock up Android. They don't believe Android will just run away for freedom.

I hope we all get the message here. Too much freedom will make stuff, from operating systems to our life, very different. If you are a parent, will you let your kid have whatever they want? Even if it's something bad? Will you let your kid go anywhere they want? Even to somewhere illegal? NO! We care about our children, like how Apple cares about their iOS so that the customers can have a much better experience.

Mr. Kimys, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read your post. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
post #162 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Did you fall and bump your head? Or are you just stupid? The subject of the story is fragmentation of the Android OS! What you describe is NOT fragmentation of the iOS, just that there a a FEW different devices, but iOS remains the same across ALL devices with the exception of the iPad but even that is going to go away very soon. Then ALL iOS devices will run the same OS with the exception of the older devices. Android on the other hand, you can get two new phones from different providers and chances are they won't be running the same OS.

What the heck are you talking about. Within my family and people that sit within two cubes of me we must have 10 different IOS devices (iPods/iPhones/iPads) and there is probably 5 different OS versions on them. That is no different then Android.
post #163 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Screenshot of "lightweight" Angry Birds for Android, courtesy of Daniel Sandler:



I wish someone would make an Atari 2600 version, because that is what it would look like.

To me even better is the Angry Birds for Blackberry. Courtesy of Dan Frommer:

post #164 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

. Apple doesn't let us have so much freedom. Apple is very strict, but they are like our "parents" to protect us and guide us through our life.



I'm so happy that I have a consumer electronics company to do this for me. I never had a big brother when I was growing up.
post #165 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM View Post



source



And that is exactly what he did.
post #166 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

What the heck are you talking about. Within my family and people that sit within two cubes of me we must have 10 different IOS devices (iPods/iPhones/iPads) and there is probably 5 different OS versions on them. That is no different then Android.

You're wrong, period.

Do not insult us by trying to say that Androids software is anything like iOS. Android is whatever the phone providers (that's plural) wants it to be on any given phone at the time it is released, for better or worse. iOS is what Apple wants it to be, for better or worse, but there is only two CURRENT versions, which will soon become one, when 4.2 drops. Now if your family and friends choose not to upgrade their device, that's their prerogative.
post #167 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Mr. Kimys, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read your post. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

+1 for Billy Madison's principal reference.. probably the funniest line in the movie..
post #168 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

No. Android SHOULD be the number one mobile OS. That is because people buy it more than iOS. That is what determines what should be the number one mobile OS.

naturalistic fallacy.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #169 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Mr. Kimys, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read your post. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

And I award you one point for making a entire post be only about the characteristics of another member. That is never an allowed subject. Refute the arguments, and do not make remarks about the other posters' intelligence, rationality, or anything else.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #170 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

You're wrong, period.

Do not insult us by trying to say that Androids software is anything like iOS. Android is whatever the phone providers (that's plural) wants it to be on any given phone at the time it is released, for better or worse. iOS is what Apple wants it to be, for better or worse, but there is only two CURRENT versions, which will soon become one, when 4.2 drops. Now if your family and friends choose not to upgrade their device, that's their prerogative.

Why do you think IOS is so superior? I know how to program for both and I don't see the superiority in IOS. Please educate me.

There is only one CURRENT version of Android (2.2).

It's not a matter of choosing to upgrade. There are Apple IOS devices that can't be upgraded, and others get inferior results if you do. The same can be said for Android devices and Windows Mobile devices for that matter.

People keep saying that the provider changes Android to whatever they want it to be. This is not true. Android OS is still the Android OS no mater what changes the provider makes. The providers provide different desktops (ie skins) and include their own widgets and themes and custom applications. I have an iPod Touch, and I'm stuck with Apples scheme. I have a Droid X and I can customize it to what I want and I could take any Android phone and customize it to be like my X. I am not forced to use what the provider puts on there by default.
post #171 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

Why do you think IOS is so superior? I know how to program for both and I don't see the superiority in IOS. Please educate me.

There is only one CURRENT version of Android (2.2).

It's not a matter of choosing to upgrade. There are Apple IOS devices that can't be upgraded, and others get inferior results if you do. The same can be said for Android devices and Windows Mobile devices for that matter.

People keep saying that the provider changes Android to whatever they want it to be. This is not true. Android OS is still the Android OS no mater what changes the provider makes. The providers provide different desktops (ie skins) and include their own widgets and themes and custom applications. I have an iPod Touch, and I'm stuck with Apples scheme. I have a Droid X and I can customize it to what I want and I could take any Android phone and customize it to be like my X. I am not forced to use what the provider puts on there by default.

hes talking about the user level. Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that iOS has a richer api set the Android too.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #172 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

hes talking about the user level. I am pretty sure that iOS has a richer api set the Android too.

The user interface isn't the operating system. I don't see one API any richer then the other.

I use both IOS and Android daily and I see neither one as superior. They are different and they both have their quirks.
post #173 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you didn't ban the guy quoted above for the vugarity. What to know what I find interesting about this forum is the amount of posts threads get. The posts that are totally unrelated to Apple products see the most hits because Apple fans somehow feel the need to bash any other product.

Take this thread for example the biggest bashers have most likel never used an Android device for more then 30 seconds if that. Why doesn't the guy that continues to post about Android in a font size of 300 in bold read letters get banned. That I find interesting.


Gee, now those that favour the Android platform are complaining about those that like/prefer Apple products, as never having used an Android product or for an insuffcient amount of time.
But its okay for M$/Windows apologists to snipe away at Mac users since the dawn of time ?
At least many Mac users have had the misfortune to have use/used Windows, the opposite same can hardly be said, can it ?
Now you know how we feel, not nice is it ?
I have never used an Android product and never intend to, not because of their poor quailty, at the mercy of the Carrier for OS updates, Apps don't run proeprly etc, etc.
But because I am happy with my Apple devices/products.
Its my choice, its really that simple.
I appreciate products where people have taken the time and effort to get it right, be it a car, piece of furniture or something else. Apple certainly fits this description.
There are many people who are unwilling or incapable of appreciating athestic beauty, where the the only consideration for them is the all mighty dollar.
Its so easy to argue against shoddy M$ and Android based products, but it would be a waste of my valuable time, those who appreciate Apple, know why, the others, simply refuse to listen to other people's opinions let alone open their brains to facts and logical arguments
To this day, I still cannot understand those Apple bashers, what is their agenda ?
Having read thousands of comments and articles, it is obvious that the anti-Apple brigade constantly bashes Apple, but a majority of Apple supporters don't stoop to this level.
We may make comment which most of the time holds true, sure there are those that may be blinded and don't articulate themselves that well. But the vile and spite I read from the anti-Apple group (a sizable majority mind you), is plain rubbish, and easy to refute.
Its like a constant bombardment, when will it stop !

So before you go off complaining about us, perhaps you should seriously take stock of the real world, and not some fantasy place you live in.
post #174 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

The user interface isn't the operating system. I don't see one API any richer then the other.

I use both IOS and Android daily and I see neither one as superior. They are different and they both have their quirks.

iOS has a larger api than android. It is desktop quality. If the app is a tableview, this would not be obvious.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #175 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

A classic techtard remark! Hey dumbdumb, people DON"T want to do these things! They just want an exceptional device that works well right out of the box.

If people don't want to root their phones, THEY WON'T. If developers want access to a buttload of API, THEY WILL.

Seriously, what brilliant thought did you have that in your mind justified your idiocy here?
post #176 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

smartphones are NOT PCs. users Shouldnt need to care or know about any of that crap!!

stop comparing smartphones to PCs!

hahaha! Right! People want to buy the cheapest phone available, and run all the best games! Of course. Who can blame them?

But see, my comment was to explain why that's a naive point of view.

Seriously, I find it so incredibly hilarious that you die hard apple fanboys want to call everyone morons for buying phones running an operating system that isn't made for morons!

On the flip side of that, I always find it hilarious that people think they're geeks, or smarter than everyone else simply for figuring out how to work with an Android phone.

And as a matter of fact, users SHOULD know what their phone is capable of before buying it. What the hell are you talking about? When someone buys a netbook, do they bitch because it doesn't play Crysis!?

The idiocy on this topic is so absurd
post #177 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

iOS has a larger api than android. It is desktop quality. If the app is a tableview, this would not be obvious.

Yes and no. When programming on Android you use Java and the API count that is available goes up dramatically. If the size of the API mattered then Windows would win. Also on Android a single URL to access a record in a database takes a lot more effort in IOS. You can't compare size. They are different. I like and hate them both.
post #178 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It isn't.

All Google has done is flood the market. In the US, the iPhone is available on only one carrier. It took oodles of Android phones to compete with Apple's ONE (or at most, two) phone. It's what you do when you can't compete on quality. Churn out as much junk as you can and you'll gain share by virtue of pushing sheer volume.

Consumers who want iPhones but are on a different carrier have to settle for a touch-screen Apple knockoff until the iPhone arrives - as we've seen in the news lately many would rather have an iPhone. No surprise there.

Google's biggest worry is the iphone spreading to other US carriers.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants to put up with everything that comes with owning an iphone. Even if the iphone went to other carriers, Android phones would still sell.

Even Windows Mobile phones were selling more than they ever had when iphone appeared to be dominating.
post #179 of 269
which one of these JUNK Android phones can run Angry Birds?


Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is how Android Forums look like (androidforums.com)


Each phone has it's own subforum!! with different set of issues, problems, etc!!!


IT'S RIDICULOUS!! --- Android Developers have to make sure their app runs on ALL OF THESE PHONES!!!!!



post #180 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Having read thousands of comments and articles, it is obvious that the anti-Apple brigade constantly bashes Apple, but a majority of Apple supporters don't stoop to this level.

This hasn't been my experience. I find a lot of Apple users bash non-Apple products. On my desktop right now I have a PC (home built Windows 7), a Mac Mini (OSX 10.6), Dell laptop, an iPod Touch, an iPod 30 gig, a Droid X, an Axim X51v, and a Samsung i760. Both my PC and laptop dual boot into Ubuntu. I'm kind of OS agnostic and I'm not a fan boy of any particular platform. It has been my experience that the typical Apple user believes their products are superior and logic or reason cannot be brought into play.

Which desktop I favor (the one I built) or phone I choose as my daily driver (Droid X) is driven by my needs and not by the opinions of others. Just because they meet my needs does not mean they will meet others. I have no reason to bash others for choosing different devices for their use. I would like the same in return.
post #181 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

I know why android is open. so you can replace junk with junk.

All junk.
post #182 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

I wish someone would make an Atari 2600 version, because that is what it would look like.

To me even better is the Angry Birds for Blackberry. Courtesy of Dan Frommer:




They can't be serious?!
post #183 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

. It has been my experience that the typical Apple user believes their products are superior and logic or reason cannot be brought into play.

.


But logic and reason are the way Apple users determine that their products are superior. That's why you can't use it.
post #184 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

But logic and reason are the way Apple users determine that their products are superior. That's why you can't use it.

You must have skipped over the part where I wrote that I am a Mac user and an iPod user! and proving my point.

My current desktop:

http://bruceatkinson.com/images/Desk...nd_monitor.jpg
post #185 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

You must have skipped over the part where I wrote that I am a Mac user and an iPod user! and proving my point.

Pay him no mind. He's a retread troll who thinks clogging threads with lots of witless affirmations is clever.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #186 of 269
Some ppl say android good, apple bad. They r bad cuz they lie. Some ppl say apple good, android bad. They r good cos truth.
post #187 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

iOS also has some fragmentation, just not as bad as Android. 3 screen resolutions, 4 generations of processing power on the iPhone, a few on iPod Touches and of course 1 generation of iPads. Different memory sizes.

Again, not nearly as bad, but there is something.

Except the iPhone always gets better each generation. You just need to decide the oldest device you want to support. Things like screen resolution is handled in an elegant way. Even if the developer did a poor job making their application adapt to different resolutions, Apple choosing to move to 4 times the resolution has guaranteed that pixels will be aligned property. No blurry graphics because they are drawing halfway between two points. The only meaningful fragmentation is between the iPad and iPhone/touch. That was deliberate. Sometimes fragmentation is a good thing. Although Apple still gives the option to create Universal apps if the developer chooses to target both.
post #188 of 269
it bothers you to see how fragmented and crappy Android is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Dave thanks for posting that list again.
post #189 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Quote:
That's just plain silly. Why would Google pay people that make Android owners look like a bunch of annoying wankers?

Google don't need to pay to make them look like that, because they already are. They are paid to make silly statements to make Android looks good.
Quote:
If you insist they are shills then they belong to Apple, not Google.

Loyal customers don't need to be paid to promote high quality product. That's why "Apple shills" doesn't make sense.

Now that is a comment that Google would pay for!
post #190 of 269
With mobile contracts locking people into the same handset for ~2 years we probably won't know for a while what the impact of these fragmentation problems, carrier crapware problems, etc are going to have on Android.
post #191 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

I'm so happy that I have a consumer electronics company to do this for me. I never had a big brother when I was growing up.

Your head is up your something pretty nicely if you think Google is any less, if not more, Big Brother than Apple. The only difference is they couldn't care less what junk you get provide they got your personal data daily. Heck, they even drove by to collect people's information from their wifi, didn't they?
post #192 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

On the flip side of that, I always find it hilarious that people think they're geeks, or smarter than everyone else simply for figuring out how to work with an Android phone.

Wow! I couldn't agree more.
post #193 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

And I award you one point for making a entire post be only about the characteristics of another member. That is never an allowed subject. Refute the arguments, and do not make remarks about the other posters' intelligence, rationality, or anything else.

Though I can appreciate you doing your job, I find it immensely odd that you would single out my post. There are loads of posts on AI which attack nothing but a person's intelligence and rational, among other things. My post was meant to add a little humor to a very vicious and personal attack thread of posts. Not sure what is is about Android articles that brings out the vampires.

I'm beginning to think I was singled out because you are not a fan of evil clowns?
post #194 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

which one of these JUNK Android phones can run Angry Birds?

Um, my Evo plays it just fine. I don't consider it junk any more than I consider my Ipod Touch junk. I guess I'm just a poor lost soul going to hell for not using an Iphone. I would like to give you the name of my employer so that you may call and tell them how worthless of a human being I am for having the temerity to purchase a non-Apple phone unit.
post #195 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post


I'm beginning to think I was singled out because you are not a fan of evil clowns?



You ain't got nothing on Captain Spaulding.
post #196 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

No. Android SHOULD be the number one mobile OS. That is because people buy it more than iOS. That is what determines what should be the number one mobile OS.

No and No. What determines the number one mobile OS is total units sold, yes. But I believe I used the word should in bold letter to indicate what should be the case, not might currently be the case.

Just because something sells the most doesn't mean it is the best. It simply could be the cheapest, etc. In the case of Android, sold on dozens of devices so that it floods the market. Currently one provider provides support for the iPhone (AT&T). Many people will turn away from the iPhone for that very reason. I dislike AT&T, but I vehemently hate Sprint and Tmobile (I have never used Verizon, but since they don't support our employers' discount plan we avoid them). So, we were prime candidates for the iPhone.

Back to my comment, I said should. Why? Because both Win 7 phone OS and iOS had more stringent requirements than Android does. All Win 7 phones must have the same front face buttons and the same camera button to support the OS, just like the iPhone has a specific design that is the same across the current models (I dont' know about the 1st and 2nd gen iPhones).

So, a good phone (and I have owned both the iPhone and Win 7 Phone) SHOULD outsell a mediocre phone such as the Android. Maybe it won't, but it should. Most folks aren't geeks or hackers. They want a phone that works simply with little problems and the Android is not that phone.
post #197 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

...The only meaningful fragmentation is between the iPad and iPhone/touch. That was deliberate. Sometimes fragmentation is a good thing. Although Apple still gives the option to create Universal apps if the developer chooses to target both.

Android's so called fragmentation is deliberate also. That giant list of Android devices does not mean fragmentation. It means choice. If I wanted to sell an Android application I would not worry about that giant list of great devices. I would target a version of the operating system. At this point it would 2.0 + for me. The UI is geared to be mostly resolution agnostic. I would test on the lowest resolutions and the highest. Sort of the same thing I would do on the iPod/iPhone/iPad.

When making a program that is highly dependent on the graphics performance of the device you need to decide on your minimum requirements. Just like if you wanted to make a high memory, high cpu game for the iPod Touch or iPhone, you wouldn't support 1st gen iPod's or iPhone's.

What the Angry Bird developers are saying is that they weren't able to pull off making a high end version of Angry Bird and having it run well on all versions of Android (and all devices within those versions).

Since Android is also being targeted to be used on "normal" handsets, not just smartphones it doesn't make sense to try to support them without taking in their specifications.

Here is the list of unsupported Android Devices:

* Droid Eris
* HTC Dream
* HTC Hero/T-Mobile G2 Touch
* HTC Magic/Sapphire/Mytouch 3G
* HTC Tattoo
* HTC Wildfire
* Huawei Ideos/U8150
* LG Ally/Aloha/VS740
* LG GW620/Eve
* Motorola Backflip/MB300
* Motorola Cliq/Dext
* Samsung Acclaim
* Samsung Moment/M900
* Samsung Spica/i5700
* Samsung Transform
* Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini
* T-Mobile G1

Those are the devices I would expect to be on the list. It's pretty easy to say you only support Android v2.0 and above. If they want full coverage of Android then they need to make a version that supports smaller screen resolutions and slower cpu's. Oh that is what they are doing. This is not news.
post #198 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

Android's so called fragmentation is deliberate also. That giant list of Android devices does not mean fragmentation. It means choice. If I wanted to sell an Android application I would not worry about that giant list of great devices. I would target a version of the operating system. At this point it would 2.0 + for me. The UI is geared to be mostly resolution agnostic. I would test on the lowest resolutions and the highest. Sort of the same thing I would do on the iPod/iPhone/iPad.

When making a program that is highly dependent on the graphics performance of the device you need to decide on your minimum requirements. Just like if you wanted to make a high memory, high cpu game for the iPod Touch or iPhone, you wouldn't support 1st gen iPod's or iPhone's.

What the Angry Bird developers are saying is that they weren't able to pull off making a high end version of Angry Bird and having it run well on all versions of Android (and all devices within those versions).

Since Android is also being targeted to be used on "normal" handsets, not just smartphones it doesn't make sense to try to support them without taking in their specifications.

Here is the list of unsupported Android Devices:

* Droid Eris
* HTC Dream
* HTC Hero/T-Mobile G2 Touch
* HTC Magic/Sapphire/Mytouch 3G
* HTC Tattoo
* HTC Wildfire
* Huawei Ideos/U8150
* LG Ally/Aloha/VS740
* LG GW620/Eve
* Motorola Backflip/MB300
* Motorola Cliq/Dext
* Samsung Acclaim
* Samsung Moment/M900
* Samsung Spica/i5700
* Samsung Transform
* Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini
* T-Mobile G1

Those are the devices I would expect to be on the list. It's pretty easy to say you only support Android v2.0 and above. If they want full coverage of Android then they need to make a version that supports smaller screen resolutions and slower cpu's. Oh that is what they are doing. This is not news.

Choice, huh? Yes you can choose, but it's still heavily fragmented because of that same choice you are bragging here.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #199 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

Um, my Evo plays it just fine. I don't consider it junk any more than I consider my Ipod Touch junk. I guess I'm just a poor lost soul going to hell for not using an Iphone. I would like to give you the name of my employer so that you may call and tell them how worthless of a human being I am for having the temerity to purchase a non-Apple phone unit.

Are you in the wrong forum?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #200 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

Android's so called fragmentation is deliberate also. That giant list of Android devices does not mean fragmentation. It means choice. If I wanted to sell an Android application I would not worry about that giant list of great devices. I would target a version of the operating system. At this point it would 2.0 + for me. The UI is geared to be mostly resolution agnostic. I would test on the lowest resolutions and the highest. Sort of the same thing I would do on the iPod/iPhone/iPad.

When making a program that is highly dependent on the graphics performance of the device you need to decide on your minimum requirements. Just like if you wanted to make a high memory, high cpu game for the iPod Touch or iPhone, you wouldn't support 1st gen iPod's or iPhone's.

What the Angry Bird developers are saying is that they weren't able to pull off making a high end version of Angry Bird and having it run well on all versions of Android (and all devices within those versions).

Since Android is also being targeted to be used on "normal" handsets, not just smartphones it doesn't make sense to try to support them without taking in their specifications.

Here is the list of unsupported Android Devices:

* Droid Eris
* HTC Dream
* HTC Hero/T-Mobile G2 Touch
* HTC Magic/Sapphire/Mytouch 3G
* HTC Tattoo
* HTC Wildfire
* Huawei Ideos/U8150
* LG Ally/Aloha/VS740
* LG GW620/Eve
* Motorola Backflip/MB300
* Motorola Cliq/Dext
* Samsung Acclaim
* Samsung Moment/M900
* Samsung Spica/i5700
* Samsung Transform
* Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini
* T-Mobile G1

Those are the devices I would expect to be on the list. It's pretty easy to say you only support Android v2.0 and above. If they want full coverage of Android then they need to make a version that supports smaller screen resolutions and slower cpu's. Oh that is what they are doing. This is not news.

What you are missing, of course, is that all of these devices were released in the LAST YEAR. And people who own those devices probably thought they were getting the top of the line Android phone, same as their neighbour, as an iPhone equivalent. meanwhile, just popping over to itunes/app/angrybirds I see the minimum requirements on the iPhone are

iOS 3.0, and compatible with
iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

So that will work on a 1st Gen. Thats 3.5 years old.

So it runs on all iPhones from 2007, and some Androids from 2010. Do the people with Android phones feel that they have been sold a pup?

This isnt going to go away either - the new version of Android ( 3.0) needs 1Ghz processor, and recommends 512MB minimum. Most cheap and nasty android manufacturers will not even bother, carriers wont carry updates, 1.6 will be on a lot of machines sold into cheaper markets, the google market is not even in most countries.

Developers, back to iOS.

( Was it worth while for Roxio to put up with this cr*p compared to the revenue they get from iOS? how many more man hours do they have to put in to make the game work on these extra machines?)

Answer: no.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues