or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad coming to northern Europe, iOS 4.2 hints at free MobileMe accounts

iPad coming to northern Europe, iOS 4.2 hints at free MobileMe accounts - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

What PIN do you expect the thief put in in this case? You haven't set one up. how do you expect the system to know a pin?

The phone probably needs to re-ask for the PIN, for the cases where a PIN is set and the thief steals it unlocked and had time to disable Find My Phone, but it cant do anything for the user who doesnt set his PIN. All that Apple can do is force people to set their PIN if they are using the phone as a wallet.

Oh... I'm not debating the importance of setting (or not) a screen lock PIN (or the duration before it auto locks). That's dependent on an individual's personal comfort/compromise with security of their personal information versus "hassle" of constantly entering a screen lock PIN.

That being said, my phone is associated with my MobileMe account which DOES require a password to access. Even though I can set my web access to keep me signed in for two weeks if I go to the find my phone feature it requires me to put my password in AGAIN even if I just signed into MobileMe with it 15 seconds ago. I strongly believe that in order to maintain the integrity of the find my phone feature from end to end it should require the MobileMe password to make changes on the phone as well... regardless of whether a screen lock PIN is in place or not. And yes the phone should know the password... its the same one for the MobileMe account that is "finding' it in the first place.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
I strongly believe that in order to maintain the integrity of the find my phone feature from end to end it should require the MobileMe password to make changes on the phone as well... regardless of whether a screen lock PIN is in place or not. And yes the phone should know the password... its the same one for the MobileMe account that is "finding' it in the first place.

Oh right, the mobile me password. I wasn't thinking. That *is* a good idea.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #83 of 84
Aquavit, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorf View Post

Hehe, is that your image of us Nordic people. Guess what, we do not drink vodka and I guess 99.99% dont have ever been in a hot tube What comes to the blondes......
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

As they sell them faster than they can make them, this is not really a huge motivation. If they do anything at all, it will be a limited and/or ad supported free solution.

This is absolutely possible, as providing additional services that could lower the profit margin of devices already accounted for could be in conflict with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Any ad income would have to at least cover the cost of operation and maintenance to stay clear of such complications (as far as I understand it).

??? MobileMe mail beats Gmail by miles, at least it is 100% IMAP compliant, while Gmail's label mess is causing conflicts with most mail clients (and do not even get me started on the handling of contacts with Gmail - it is so bad, there should be a law against it). And comparing Picasa to the current iPhoto... Picasa looks like a freak accident. Google could not design a decent GUI if their life depended on it.

No idea what it will be, if anything. But one thing is for sure: the streaming rights that companies like LaLa, Spotify, etc. have obtained are not transferable... so, Apple basically only bought human resources. I hope they at least use them to make iDisk performing anywhere near what a free Dropbox account provides. While I love almost everything about MobileMe, the iDisk feature is so poor, it is a mere joke.

i agree with you on idisk point... i'm using mobileme service from last 2 years, i love their syncing services except idisk... i hope they will make it better...

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad coming to northern Europe, iOS 4.2 hints at free MobileMe accounts
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad coming to northern Europe, iOS 4.2 hints at free MobileMe accounts