or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › AppleCare Deleted my Data
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AppleCare Deleted my Data

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Most people who've posted this type of question consented to any risk of loss. I did not.

I brought my laptop in for migration to new laptop and because the screen was flickering. The guy told me how to do a migration at home, but said they'd check the back of the screen for a loose cable (replace the inverter at most), and even said I could do the migration when I got it back. Under "Data transfer" he typed in "Not required." It was a tier 1 repair.

I got my laptop back, and they went ahead and did a tier 4 repair. They replaced the inverter, but went ahead and replaced the hard drive also! They did not do a data transfer because I did not pay the $99. All my data is gone.

Has anyone had this type of situation before? I know they have that waiver for data loss, but this really wasn't data "loss" -- they straight up took it upon themselves to toss out my old hard drive for a mystery problem I never complained of, despite telling me they wouldn't do anything near that serious and that I DID NOT need to transfer my data beforehand.

Has anyone had this experience? If so, what resolution?
post #2 of 7
Wouldn't happen to me, because data loss or not, I won't send in a Mac for repair with my private data on it. I will swap out the hard drive EVERY TIME. No need for additional backup, or deleting sensitive data prior to repair. Just keep a virgin installed OS on a blank hard drive and swap it in when you send in the machine. A used 60GB hard drive can cost you as little as $20. Small price to pay for this level of data privacy.

You live. You learn.
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiesner

If so, what resolution?

Call them up to see if they still have your drive. I'm sure they will have logged the part numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wouldn't happen to me, because data loss or not, I won't send in a Mac for repair with my private data on it. I will swap out the hard drive EVERY TIME. No need for additional backup, or deleting sensitive data prior to repair. Just keep a virgin installed OS on a blank hard drive and swap it in when you send in the machine. A used 60GB hard drive can cost you as little as $20. Small price to pay for this level of data privacy.

You live. You learn.

This is good in theory but computers are moving to solid state chips, which can't be swapped out easily. The iMac drive is also sealed in pretty well.

When RAM and storage are one and the same, it should still be possible if they aren't soldered in place but Apple rarely make drive replacement easy.
post #4 of 7
Why didn't you have a backup anyway? If there was anything important on that drive, and since you made this post in the first place, there must have been, there is NO excuse for not having backups.
post #5 of 7
I'm gonna go out on a limb and label this one "troll".
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb and label this one "troll".

One of these happened only a week or two ago. It's quite possible that there are multiple people who refuse to read terms of service or repair.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One of these happened only a week or two ago. It's quite possible that there are multiple people who refuse to read terms of service or repair.

It is quite possible; judging by the original post, this individual chose to ignore the fact that he signed a waiver for data loss (a fact he readily acknowledges) and now regrets his decision not to back up his data. This is not Apple's fault, it is his own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › AppleCare Deleted my Data