or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp, Apple building tablet-only iPad newspaper - rumor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

News Corp, Apple building tablet-only iPad newspaper - rumor - Page 2

post #41 of 62
I thought the App Store had strict rules regarding porn apps.


If this is indeed true, Apple is trying to make money, and with the popularity, however incomprehensible, of Faux News and the other products from Rupert Rags, Ink., they will make plenty with their 30% share. Money made helps all of us as they can then develop more great apps. It will also possibly be an excellent app that will show the other news orgs how to do it (because they haven't so far).

I would hope that there was some kind of new App Store rule that apps had to actually present truth, but then that would eliminate any apps from News corp.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Oh, really?

Yea really ... Got about a thousand more links also
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...,msft,yhoo,nyt
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutts View Post

Apple teaming up with murdoch! what a tragedy. We will now have billo the clown hannity and coulter, fox news all ramned down our thoats vis apple. Is there no escape. lets hope apples competitors get their products up and running asap. Apple, you have just lost a customer.

It's a rumor calm down
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post

I concur, rutts... the walled garden is bad enough, but if they're now going to switch to a diet of fascist right-wing tinfoil-hat-wearing traitorous, obstructionist propaganda supplied by the gossip-rag-dealing foreign agent that turned one of the most-respected newspapers in the country into the Wall Street Urinal, I will never buy another Apple product. Ever.

Be fair, the WSJ was into right-wing anti-science rants before Murdoch took it over.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I have NO desire to use my iPad as a right-wing propaganda delivery mechanism.


So what are you trying to say, that you HAVE desire to use your iPad for a left-wing propaganda delivery mechanism?

I would truly love to know what news sources you listen, read or watch that you would consider objective and mainstream because I sure could use a good belly shaken laugh! After all... Ho, Ho, Ho, 'tis the season to be Jolly!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I would hope that there was some kind of new App Store rule that apps had to actually present truth, but then that would eliminate any apps from News corp.

Oh, it's the TRUTH you want, then I guess the New York Times will have to pull their app, PBS and CNN too! Let us see, who else must go?!...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Oh, it's the TRUTH you want, then I guess the New York Times will have to pull their app, PBS and CNN too! Let us see, who else must go?!...

Speaking of thruthiness, "Beware the Prophet seeking Profit!" ... you must be thinking of all those highly-paid lobbyists who subvert the process of converting science to policy. No news organisation is free of error; the issue here is a news organisation that deliberately lies.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Indeed.
I'd never subscribe to a Newscorp product, but I would definitely consider something more reputable like say, the NYT, NPR/PBS, CSM, BBC etc.

...


THANKS for the belly shaking laugh I was talking about in an earlier post! NYT, NPR/PBS,...

Oh no, here it comes again!...

Someone posted that Apple has just lost a customer... Ask me if I'll miss them? Go ahead, ask me. ASK ME! Ask me, if I'll miss them? Aaaasssskkkk meeeehehehe...

I've never enjoyed reading and responding to a thread more then I am now!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Speaking of thruthiness, "Beware the Prophet seeking Profit!" ... you must be thinking of all those highly-paid lobbyists who subvert the process of converting science to policy. No news organisation is free of error; the issue here is a news organisation that deliberately lies.

Nope! I was thinking of that Apple board member, fear mongering moron Al Gore! You know him or better yet, you may know that lying buffoon better half of his that shared a house painted white that we had to contend with in the nineties.

Do note that IT is a quote! Kind of like, "I never had sex with that woman...!" or like those lying Global Warming scientists in the UK?!

Regarding "the issue here is a news organization that deliberately lies", and of course you do have proof of this, right!

And what is worse, lobbyists who subvert the process of converting science to policy? OR, or... Scientists who "Cook the Books" so their numbers match their hypothesis and cause?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #50 of 62
I'm actually quite surprised at how slanted the bias is here towards the left. I know many, many Apple users that are staunch Conservative/Republicans; isn't it great we can buy a product that is well made, while overlooking the fact that SJ and most of Apple is a liberal company?

The rants here about the WSJ are really ignorant. That publications is probably the most fair publication out right now. Yes, they have clearly right-wing stories, but they also have left-wing slant news as well. Would you say the same about Real Clear Politics? They also have about 50/50 split right-wing/left-wing stories.

It's really weird, and a shame, that most of the posters here are so clearly bias to the left, because SJ and company are the epitome of Capitalism at its best. They ship almost all of the jobs (to make their products) overseas, they maximize profits, have a closed and heavily proprietary (read not open) system, they are not unionized, and yada and yada ... basically everything that SEEMS (opinion) to go against the left's mentality.

Frankly, I'm sick of both sides being too venomous about ANYTHING politics.
post #51 of 62
This just in: AI is flooded by drama queens proclaiming to never buy another Apple product. Jobs and company lose no sleep. More at 11.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #52 of 62
Ummm... All I can say is content is nowadays the only valuable asset.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

How does a Beatles-loving, LSD dropping, hippie-wannabe get all mixed up with Rupert Palpatine? While I love the idea of an inexpensive daily "newspaper" that is created specifically for the iPad, taking full advantage of everything the iPad can do, I have NO desire to use my iPad as a right-wing propaganda delivery mechanism.

The answer is quite simple MONEY that is what Jobs really is striving for and more and more of it. Insatiable appetite he has.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Nope! I was thinking of that Apple board member, fear mongering moron Al Gore! You know him or better yet, you may know that lying buffoon better half of his that shared a house painted white that we had to contend with in the nineties.

Do note that IT is a quote! Kind of like, "I never had sex with that woman...!" or like those lying Global Warming scientists in the UK?!

Regarding "the issue here is a news organization that deliberately lies", and of course you do have proof of this, right!

And what is worse, lobbyists who subvert the process of converting science to policy? OR, or... Scientists who "Cook the Books" so their numbers match their hypothesis and cause?!

X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

I'm actually quite surprised at how slanted the bias is here towards the left. I know many, many Apple users that are staunch Conservative/Republicans; isn't it great we can buy a product that is well made, while overlooking the fact that SJ and most of Apple is a liberal company?

The rants here about the WSJ are really ignorant. That publications is probably the most fair publication out right now. Yes, they have clearly right-wing stories, but they also have left-wing slant news as well. Would you say the same about Real Clear Politics? They also have about 50/50 split right-wing/left-wing stories.

It's really weird, and a shame, that most of the posters here are so clearly bias to the left, because SJ and company are the epitome of Capitalism at its best. They ship almost all of the jobs (to make their products) overseas, they maximize profits, have a closed and heavily proprietary (read not open) system, they are not unionized, and yada and yada ... basically everything that SEEMS (opinion) to go against the left's mentality.

Frankly, I'm sick of both sides being too venomous about ANYTHING politics.

Well said.
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post


It's really weird, and a shame, that most of the posters here are so clearly bias to the left,

You should have an expectation of this in my opinion as younger readers will be more oriented toward this type of website. Winston Churchill has a brilliant quote:

"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain."
post #56 of 62
I have no problem with Left's hatred against Fox and Murdoch, that is to be expected. What I don't like is this, the assumption that the MSM is fair and even handed when there are various evidence that that they are even worse than Fox .

1) CNN's Tailwind
2) CBS Rathergate
3) New Republic's Stephen Glass scandal
4) CNN's Eason Jordan's admission that CNN was not telling the truth about Saddam Hussein
5) NPR's Juan William firing
6) the refusal to name the political party of government officials when they get arrested
7) CNN's Susan Roesgen's unprofessionalism in Chicago
8) Climategate

These are only a few examples of the MSM's bias and people are having none of it.
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post

I have no problem with Left's hatred against Fox and Murdoch, that is to be expected. What I don't like is this, the assumption that the MSM is fair and even handed when there are various evidence that that they are even worse than Fox .

1) CNN's Tailwind
2) CBS Rathergate
3) New Republic's Stephen Glass scandal
4) CNN's Eason Jordan's admission that CNN was not telling the truth about Saddam Hussein
5) NPR's Juan William firing
6) the refusal to name the political party of government officials when they get arrested
7) CNN's Susan Roesgen's unprofessionalism in Chicago
8) Climategate

These are only a few examples of the MSM's bias and people are having none of it.

I have to agree. For the first time EVER ... fox news beat ALL the MSM's on the last mid-term election night coverage. This includes ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. What makes this stat extremely alarming is that FOX is not in nearly as many households in comparison to the MSM. A vast majority of Fox broadcast came from the "paid" cable service rather than the free "over the air broadcast" that the major networks enjoy. Nielson has a lot of data showing that even independent and democrats are a large portion of the audience.
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I thought the App Store had strict rules regarding porn apps.


If this is indeed true, Apple is trying to make money, and with the popularity, however incomprehensible, of Faux News and the other products from Rupert Rags, Ink., they will make plenty with their 30% share. Money made helps all of us as they can then develop more great apps. It will also possibly be an excellent app that will show the other news orgs how to do it (because they haven't so far).

I would hope that there was some kind of new App Store rule that apps had to actually present truth, but then that would eliminate any apps from News corp.

Really? Check my list again and tell me who is the lying most. And oh btw, Fox would not exist if the MSM are doing their damn jobs in presenting both sides fairly and accurately. Last I check, only Fox comes near anywhere that requirement.
post #59 of 62
OS 4.2 is out, everybody. Go get it.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see this app; if Apple really is putting it together, it could be a great news app, content aside. If they do the content right, it could be a great news source.

I have been less than impressed with the apps and even homepages of some of the larger media outlets (not just news, even places like Popular Science); they simply don't have a good grasp of how to present stuff on a device like the iPad. I hope this will give them a little kick.

It will be very interesting to see a news company that has no print or broadcast mindset and the natural walls that come with them.

I hope they do it correctly.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #60 of 62
Apple can kiss me goodbye as a customer when Jobs stands on the stage with Murdoch. That guy's idea of the news is that it is there for him to manipulate the public to buy more of his stuff and vote fringe. He has been kissing Jobs' ego for months with "best CEO in the world," quotes.

Too bad, I liked my MacBook.

By the way, the news is not slanted to the left, it is slanted towards the status quo and no control of corporations. Anything that hints at examining an industry's actions gets the real drama queens. I like diversity of opinion, and that means looking at how industries affect me and increasingly how they impact elections. The small fry stuff is Left and Right. The big stuff is power to get Congress to evade examination - and that is beyond political parties. Both Left and Right gain by understanding their real enemy has more Supreme Court protections and rights than an individual.

The Apple opportunity lost was a consortium of NYT, Tribune, LATimes, SF Comical, Mercury News, Oregonian, Miami Herald, The Constitution, Times Pic, etc with a news editorial staff and allowing revenue sharing. Chaotic, yes, but chaos in discourse is good for the democracy. Control is bad.
post #61 of 62
Remember the Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies? The villain was written to be a hybrid of Murdoch and Jobs.

If a British warship sinks off the coast of China next month, we should all start getting worried.
post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenTop View Post

Apple can kiss me goodbye as a customer when Jobs stands on the stage with Murdoch. That guy's idea of the news is that it is there for him to manipulate the public to buy more of his stuff and vote fringe. He has been kissing Jobs' ego for months with "best CEO in the world," quotes.

Too bad, I liked my MacBook.

By the way, the news is not slanted to the left, it is slanted towards the status quo and no control of corporations. Anything that hints at examining an industry's actions gets the real drama queens. I like diversity of opinion, and that means looking at how industries affect me and increasingly how they impact elections. The small fry stuff is Left and Right. The big stuff is power to get Congress to evade examination - and that is beyond political parties. Both Left and Right gain by understanding their real enemy has more Supreme Court protections and rights than an individual.

The Apple opportunity lost was a consortium of NYT, Tribune, LATimes, SF Comical, Mercury News, Oregonian, Miami Herald, The Constitution, Times Pic, etc with a news editorial staff and allowing revenue sharing. Chaotic, yes, but chaos in discourse is good for the democracy. Control is bad.

Actually, you are wrong. The news media is slanted to the status quo which is to the left and it gets more progressive and leftist as the day goes by. Your assumption that private corporations are to blame and they have more Supreme court protections and rights than the individual was based on the Citizens United ruling by SCOTUS. In fact , the Citizens United ruling made it clear that the Government have no right to silence one's political speech just because it came from corporations or unions or individuals . In fact, the victory by Citizen's United made your last point a reality which was making discourse open and free for everybody.

You say that you will leave as a customer of Apple if Steve and Rupert stand side by side together to announce their partnership. I find that hypocritical as well as cowardly. You say that you are for diversity of opinions but apparently, the diversity you are looking for are those that you agree with or like. When I saw the newspapers consortium you bandied about, they are left of center at best, extremely progressive at worse. May I remind you that one of Apple's most loyal customers is the man the left marked Enemy Number One. Rush Limbaugh. He may not like Al Gore or agree with Jobs' politics, but he have no problem accepting their opinions and he had no problem buying Apple's products.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp, Apple building tablet-only iPad newspaper - rumor