or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumors of Apple's second-generation iPad expected to weaken tablet sales

Rumors of Apple's second-generation iPad expected to weaken tablet sales

post #1 of 55
With Apple's second-generation iPad expected to debut in the first quarter of 2011, many consumers are expected to hold off on purchasing any competing touchscreen tablets.

Sources from overseas suppliers indicated to DigiTimes that they expect the launch of Apple's next iPad to "seriously weaken" tablet offerings from other PC vendors. Some believe that tablet sales projections for 2011 have been overly optimistic, and may disappoint.

"Since consumer demand for tablet PCs is still limited, while most upstream and downstream players are over-optimistic about the market, tablet PCs may see a sharp drop in demand as soon as the third quarter of 2011, after a big battle in the second," the report said.

That "big battle" in the second quarter of 2011 is expected to be led by Apple's second-generation iPad. In addition, Google is expected to have a tablet-specific version of its Android mobile operating system ready, while Intel will launch its Oak Trail platform.

While the report notes that total tablet sales in 2011 are currently expected by some to reach between 45 million and 55 million sales, some have expectations that high for Apple's iPad alone. For example, analyst Brian Blair of Wedge Partners sees Apple selling 48 million iPads in 2011.

However, after some on Wall Street were disappointed by Apple's sales of 4.19 million iPads last quarter, some analysts lowered their forecasts. Yair Reiner with Oppenheimer has predicted Apple will sell 23 million iPads next year, while Charlie Wolf of Needham & Company expects the company to ship 18 million iPads in 2011.

Last week, one report alleged that Apple currently plans to build about 40 million iPads in calendar year 2011. The company has also allegedly increased its build orders for the end of 2010, in anticipation of strong holiday sales.
post #2 of 55
Are you saying that holiday sales will drop because of a spring offering? I don't think so for a product in the $500-$600 range. This is one piece of computer hardware that is attainable for even those on a restricted budget.
post #3 of 55
This isn't surprising at all, but could have been mitigated somewhat had Apple made iPad 1 a far higher speced system. The low res screen, lack of cameras, limited RAM, and poor connectivity (not even a single USB port? Come on Apple) make this very, very much a 1.0 product. Maybe not even 1.0.
post #4 of 55
I can see the logic in the argument however Apple always has new products in the pipe line and it has not hurt sales of existing product all that much before. The iPad does have a lot of media hype surrounding it and it does get bought by many beyond the usual suspects so perhaps there will be more impact than usual. I admit I am one of those being discussed as I am holding off for a next gen but I am an traditional Apple user and I follow these things carefully so as not to buy the end of a line. I wonder if all that many of those hoping for their first iPad in their stocking will care.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

This isn't surprising at all, but could have been mitigated somewhat had Apple made iPad 1 a far higher speced system. The low res screen, lack of cameras, limited RAM, and poor connectivity (not even a single USB port? Come on Apple) make this very, very much a 1.0 product. Maybe not even 1.0.

I would like to see you do better for the price (or any company for that matter).

USB/Camera/RAM were omitted/limited for valid reasons.

"low res screen" I would hardly call the screen on the ipad low res.
post #6 of 55
Oh my stars... more rumors being reported on AppleInsider! And I fell for it again! What is the world coming to... truly, I ask you, what!
post #7 of 55
Quote:

They have that machine. It's called a MacBook Air. Why is it so difficult for people to understand what the iPad *is*, and what it *isn't*.
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I would like to see you do better for the price (or any company for that matter).

USB/Camera/RAM were omitted/limited for valid reasons.

"low res screen" I would hardly call the screen on the ipad low res.

Netbooks offer far more for less money.

As for the screen, it's one of the lowest DPIs on any Apple product, and is so low as to render small text very ugly. (try going to The Guardian and don't pinch to zoom) It's rather telling that the iPhone 4, with it's microscopic screen, almost matches the resolution of the iPad.
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

They have that machine. It's called a MacBook Air. Why is it so difficult for people to understand what the iPad *is*, and what it *isn't*.

No, the iPad is a tablet, the Macbook is a laptop. It's really very simple. If I want a tablet, why would I buy a Macbook?

I fail to see why Apple couldn't have included a USB port (for example) on the iPad. Which part of being able to plug a digital camera directly into an iPad to view photos is bad thing?
post #10 of 55
Quote:

No, the iPad is a tablet, the Macbook is a laptop. It's really very simple. If I want a tablet, why would I buy a Macbook?

I fail to see why Apple couldn't have included a USB port (for example) on the iPad. Which part of being able to plug a digital camera directly into an iPad to view photos is bad thing?

Plug your camera into your computer, then sync the photos to the iPad. That's why you have a computer, remember? Wait a second - hold the phone! You CAN plug your camera directly into the iPad via the connector adapter for the tiny percentage of people who give a crap about that.
post #11 of 55
Quote:

This is why Apple doesn't really advertise RAM, etc. Who cares how much RAM it has? It runs everything fast as hell as it is.
post #12 of 55
Quote:

In the not so distant future, I'm sure Steve Jobs envisions a completely sealed Rolex iPad. Wireless syncing and blue tooth (or something else) headphones. Special glass that spreads the sound from the speakers. You know we're headed for less holes, not more.

As far as getting a netbook for less... I've seen these plastic, flimsy, unappealing netbooks at Costco and they are so slow and unimpressive that it's hard to believe anyone buys them over an iPad.

I'm not getting the value equation of your post.

iPad v2, with the camera and facetime alone, is going to be a must-have upgrade. It was smart. They knew they'd hook the early adapters with v1 and add enough compelling features in v2 to nearly guarantee an upgrade from the EAs as well as those who sit on the fence, waiting for the bugs to be worked out. It's genius.
post #13 of 55
lap warmer, I agree fully with the USB. And considering the iPad, a very large iPod touch/iPhone came with half the memory of the iPhone 4, it sucks.

That said, I get by with the 30 pin adapter for my DAC's and amps - it works just fine, but USB would be great. Still, USB does not mean (as you may notice with netbooks) actual USB capability. There are few if no laptops that can supply a full 5V of electricity from USB. I've several audio DAC's that need that much and not a single laptop can power them. The iPad, coincidentally is one of them.

However, other than design work, the iPad is my go-to work tool ahead of my macbook pro and ahead of the windows laptop I use at one of my jobs. RAM and USB port (not real USB - no need to drain the battery) are issues. The screen isn't. That screen may not be perfect for pixel peeping, but it has the best viewing angle in the industry (among peers), very good colour response, and overall, a high resolution for its size.

You can only complain about its resolution if you compare it to the iPhone. In its class of device, it is very high up there.

I love it and I'll love the 3rd or 4th gen that I pick up in a couple of years from now to replace this. I can't imagine using a camera with it; then again, back in 2007, I couldn't imagine using one with an iPod touch and now I use it all the time.

Quote:

TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
post #14 of 55
Quote:

True, but that would have reduced the battery life, increase the price and most importantly significantly delayed the release.

Apple are shipping something like 10 million a quarter and there is more than $200 profit to be had in each iPad.

Do the sums, then think about trying to convince Jobs in a round table discussion about the release date...

"Option 1. We release now, make billions of dollars, redefine what a tablet device is and ensure invaluable free press for years to come as every single tablet that is released after the iPad will be compared to the iPad. The problem is that some guys on the Internet won't be happy.
Which brings us to option 2. We wait for 12 months until we can increase the specs, Google gets the jump on us and we don't make all of those billions. The positive side is that we'll keep those guys on the Internet happy..."

post #15 of 55
Quote:

because if apple had designers like you, our apple products would be hideous
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

lap warmer, I agree fully with the USB. And considering the iPad, a very large iPod touch/iPhone came with half the memory of the iPhone 4, it sucks.

That said, I get by with the 30 pin adapter for my DAC's and amps - it works just fine, but USB would be great. Still, USB does not mean (as you may notice with netbooks) actual USB capability. There are few if no laptops that can supply a full 5V of electricity from USB. I've several audio DAC's that need that much and not a single laptop can power them. The iPad, coincidentally is one of them.

However, other than design work, the iPad is my go-to work tool ahead of my macbook pro and ahead of the windows laptop I use at one of my jobs. RAM and USB port (not real USB - no need to drain the battery) are issues. The screen isn't. That screen may not be perfect for pixel peeping, but it has the best viewing angle in the industry (among peers), very good colour response, and overall, a high resolution for its size.

You can only complain about its resolution if you compare it to the iPhone. In its class of device, it is very high up there.

I love it and I'll love the 3rd or 4th gen that I pick up in a couple of years from now to replace this. I can't imagine using a camera with it; then again, back in 2007, I couldn't imagine using one with an iPod touch and now I use it all the time.

Just curious as to what kind of work or apps you use on the IPAD. I just got the 16G model and I am exploring it.

Rob
post #17 of 55
41M units shipped of a device that singlehandedly redefined tablet computing and Wall Street is disappointed?

Boggling.
post #18 of 55
DON'T MAKE PROJECTIONS.
That is the problem. Analyst making these wild a** claims and when sh** doesn't pan out they bit** out the industry for not doing more to make it happen. Blah.
post #19 of 55
Huge sales for this holiday season, really how can you predict otherwise. As far the USB, guys its a portable wireless device, why does every want to wire down it to other devices. And please don't give me thousand reasons why you want to anchor it down with a cable to other devices like those who insisted iMacs had to have floppy drives. Want to transfer photos, http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A
post #20 of 55
Quote:

Quote:

You do realize you are talking in circles, right? You criticize the iPad for not having features commonly found in small form laptops and then complain when someone suggests that what you want is a small form laptop.

I agree with you, the iPad doesn't quite seem all there to me--I don't have $500 for another toy as cool as it may be. I ended up buying a MacBook when it was clear to me that an iPad would be insufficient for my needs. But I don't complain about the iPad because, clearly, Apple found something that people DO want at a price that both makes them plenty and still sells plenty. It's not like they cancelled all laptops and are forcing people to lake due with underspeced iPads...

Sometimes we forget that part of Jobs' genius is knowing what to cut out...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #21 of 55
Quote:

This is pretty close to one of the stupidest comments ever posted on AI, and there have been plenty of stupid comments. This is pretty much equivalent to saying that if they had released the MacBook Air in 1984, they could have taken over the personal computer market.
post #22 of 55
Quote:

I believe it to be indisputable that Apple has eschewed the specsmanship and feeping creaturitis that infects equipment that may be more to your liking. The advent of undifferentiated operating systems necessitates that inclusion of differented hardware, leading directly to a race to the bottom.
post #23 of 55
Quote:

As for the screen, it's one of the lowest DPIs on any Apple product, and is so low as to render small text very ugly. (try going to The Guardian and don't pinch to zoom) It's rather telling that the iPhone 4, with it's microscopic screen, almost matches the resolution of the iPad.

Erm try comparing the screen res of your all singing dancing (and crap) 'netbook' I just picked 5 at random 1024 x 768 or 1024 x 600

So to call the iPad screen 'low res' when you yourself are trying to compare with netbooks is just plain silly.
post #24 of 55
Quote:

I think the next iPad will have an SD slot. I also think the iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand) will be written from scratch for the iPad, just like the iWork apps were, but I am not expecting them to come pre-loaded like they do on the Mac.

iDVD will be an obvious no-show, but iWeb is an unknown entity. Is Apple going to release a new web development application for the Mac and iPad or is Apple going to let iWeb stagnate since it is no longer listed as an iLife application? I can see Apple not wanting to step on 3rd-party developers like Panic, but with their data center, iTunes Store, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and pushing HTML5, Apple is going to want to make sure there is an application that will provide a way for developers to take advantage of the newer standards.
post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is pretty close to one of the stupidest comments ever posted on AI, and there have been plenty of stupid comments.

Agreed. (Gee, I wish this forum had a 'thumbs-up/thumbs-down' feature of some kind. And an 'ignore this person' option would make stupid commenters irrelevant.)
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Are you saying that holiday sales will drop because of a spring offering? I don't think so for a product in the $500-$600 range. This is one piece of computer hardware that is attainable for even those on a restricted budget.

Actually no. What they are saying is that rumors that the ipad 2.0 will launch in the early part of 2011 (possibly as early as February) is going to keep folks from buying non ipad tablets. Because they will want to see what the ipad 2.0 looks like first.

But I have a counter theory. I think that folks won't be buying those non ipad tablets because there are none out for open sales. You can't buy what isn't being sold. And for the holidays folks don't buy what they can't put in their hands right then. Cuts the risk of a delivery issue. Plus they know what they are getting because they saw it. So if it's not in stock at the local Best Buy, etc, it's a no go.

And then they added to their comment saying that the experts have said that after the ipad 2.0 launches, other tablet sales will again suck. Basically saying that next year will be a repeat of this year. Rather easy call to make really. Especially when you add the lack of competitive. Nothing else is out and what is predicted for any time soon is on record as 'for business focused customers, not the ipad type customers' so it's not expected to be sold anywhere 'common'. So course there won't be large sales. They are trying to replace "Ipads added to another business" type articles with "X that is not an ipad added to another business" type articles. Not sell to the masses. it's actually a very smart move but first they have to actually have something for sale

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #27 of 55
Quote:

Erm try comparing the screen res of your all singing dancing (and crap) 'netbook' I just picked 5 at random 1024 x 768 or 1024 x 600

So to call the iPad screen 'low res' when you yourself are trying to compare with netbooks is just plain silly.

Erm, dots 'per inch'. Since most netbooks have a smaller screen size, their DPI is going to be greater than the iPad.

I'm one of those people waiting for iPad 2. The first one was interesting, but not a 'buy' for me.
post #28 of 55
For me, proof of the iPad's appeal lies in the fact that my original plan was to keep my iPad v1 pristine until Spring, then sell on eBay for at least 80% value and get v2.
Now, I'm wrestling with the fact that that would probably mean living without my iPad for a month or more, and that thought seems very unappealing.
Can't speak for anyone else, but my iPad/iPhone combo is my primary rig, and I use my full Mac about once a week, mostly for syncing, ripping, and the occasional need for extended typing (although with the bluetooth keyboard, I really don't even need that.)

Targeted apps have become WAY more useful than general purpose behemoth applications to my current life.
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Plug your camera into your computer, then sync the photos to the iPad. That's why you have a computer, remember? Wait a second - hold the phone! You CAN plug your camera directly into the iPad via the connector adapter for the tiny percentage of people who give a crap about that.

I have that connector-adapter. You actually get two adapters: one for SD cards and another for a USB port. They work great, and I use them frequently when shooting pics away from my home-bound desktop computer. Even if my iPad had a USB port, I would probably use an adapter to read in the SD card.
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Erm, dots 'per inch'. Since most netbooks have a smaller screen size, their DPI is going to be greater than the iPad.

I'm one of those people waiting for iPad 2. The first one was interesting, but not a 'buy' for me.

Another quick scan seems to show majority of netbooks with ≈ 10.1" screen vs iPad 9.7"
And many 7" netbooks have 800 x 480 pixels, which is still less DPI.

So even the DPI is better on the iPad than the average netbook. Calling the iPad 'low res' by comparison to netbooks is nonsense.

Come on guys you need to try harder.
post #31 of 55
People shopping for the Hoidays will purchase the current Apple Ipad as they don't have the luxury of waiting till the new Ipad comes out. I don't believe sales will be hurt and this will be a good opportunity for Apple to lower inventory in preparation for an upcoming launch next year.
post #32 of 55
Quote:

Another quick scan seems to show majority of netbooks with ≈ 10.1" screen vs iPad 9.7"
And many 7" netbooks have 800 x 480 pixels, which is still less DPI.

800/7 = ~115
1024/9.7 = ~106

EDIT: oops. those are diagonal measures. 5am doesn't help anyone. It's actually pretty close. ipad is 132, 7" netbook 133.

Re 10in and above, see below.

Quote:
So even the DPI is better on the iPad than the average netbook. Calling the iPad 'low res' by comparison to netbooks is nonsense.

Not by your example, it isn't.

Quote:
Come on guys you need to try harder.

Try harder at what? Troll much?

The last time I looked at netbooks (like I did the ipad) was some time ago and the screens weren't so big on them. God save me for referencing wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks but it would appear that DPI generally for the larger screened netbooks probably comparable with the iPad according to that list. The list doesn't suggest that the majority of netbooks are 10" and up, as it happens.
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

800/7 = ~115
1024/9.7 = ~106

EDIT: oops. those are diagonal measures. 5am doesn't help anyone.

Re 10in and above, see below.

Not by your example, it isn't.

Try harder at what? Troll much?

The last time I looked at netbooks (like I did the ipad) was some time ago and the screens weren't so big on them. God save me for referencing wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks but it would appear that DPI generally for the larger screened netbooks probably comparable with the iPad according to that list. The list doesn't suggest that the majority of netbooks are 10" and up, as it happens.

Mate check your maths. I'm not the troll, I just have little patience for people who talk rubbish.

The reality is: The only scenario where you could sensibly call the iPad "low res" would be in comparison to high end (niche) netbooks or the iPhone 4. Which isn't really a fair comparison. To call the iPad "low res" would imply that it has a lower resolution than average, which it clearly has not.

Like comparing sports cars, then arguing that the Ferrari is crap because it has a smaller engine than a moped. It's just an irrelevant comparison. Not only that, it's also completely wrong.

Listen I got work to do, I will compromise at "average res" ?
post #34 of 55
Quote:

I think apple made the choices they made with the iPad in order to:

1. Keep cost as low as possible - since they didn't know how successful it would be.
Things like a higher resolution screen, dual cameras, more memory, USB, etc. Would have cut into their margins. If apple is planning to produce 40 million iPads for 2011, economies of scale will allow them to add more features and/or lower the price.

2. Get the device to market as quickly as possible.
Certain features and functionality would have required iOS 4.2 - im thinking FaceTime support. Apple would have had to delay introducing the device for several months, in order to graft camera support into 3.2, which would have delayed the release of ios 4.2

3. Remove unecessary hardware. Apple never includes hardware that is useless - cameras without ios 4.2, USB/SD ports that are not identified as "need to have" features. At the time the iPad was introduced, they were nice to have - if customer feedback has shown they are now necessary features, I'm sure apple will add them.
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

I think apple made the choices they made with the iPad in order to:

1. Keep cost as low as possible - since they didn't know how successful it would be.
Things like a higher resolution screen, dual cameras, more memory, USB, etc. Would have cut into their margins. If apple is planning to produce 40 million iPads for 2011, economies of scale will allow them to add more features and/or lower the price.

2. Get the device to market as quickly as possible.
Certain features and functionality would have required iOS 4.2 - im thinking FaceTime support. Apple would have had to delay introducing the device for several months, in order to graft camera support into 3.2, which would have delayed the release of ios 4.2

3. Remove unecessary hardware. Apple never includes hardware that is useless - cameras without ios 4.2, USB/SD ports that are not identified as "need to have" features. At the time the iPad was introduced, they were nice to have - if customer feedback has shown they are now necessary features, I'm sure apple will add them.

exactly.
post #36 of 55
Quote:

Mate check your maths. I'm not the troll, I just have little patience for people who talk rubbish.

The reality is: The only scenario where you could sensibly call the iPad "low res" would be in comparison to high end (niche) netbooks or the iPhone 4. Which isn't really a fair comparison. To call the iPad "low res" would imply that it has a lower resolution than average, which it clearly has not.

Like comparing sports cars, then arguing that the Ferrari is crap because it has a smaller engine than a moped. It's just an irrelevant comparison. Not only that, it's also completely wrong.

Listen I got work to do, I will compromise at "average res" ?

I take your point. The pixel pitch on the iPad however is low enough to warrant the original point made. My other computing devices outshine it by a handy margin (MBP, iPhone and Dell 12") and it's quite noticeable. In fact, one of the first things I noticed.
post #37 of 55
The real competition is coming from elsewhere...

Chinese white-box OEM suppliers are already flooding the market with 7" WiFi Android tablets. Most of these are currently selling for $99-$149 range. These cheap 7" tablets typically run an older (non-tablet optimized) version of Android, have resistive instead of capacitive touchscreens, and relatively low capacity batteries. They usually also have pretty minimal memory configuration and older generation ARM processors.

However, given the extremely low cost points of these devices even at relatively low volumes, I expect some of the better brand Taiwanese OEMs like Asus and MSI to offer decent 7" Android 2.2 tablets to market close to $200 early next year. These are likely to come with capacitive screens, longer battery life, higher performance ARM processors, etc. When that happens, despite Steve's comments about how 7" tablets suck, iPad will no longer be able to maintain 95% of the tablet market share.

Apple is likely to win in big in the business market where the 9.7" screen size, 3G option, Apple brand name and app store are differentiators. Unless Apple manages to pull off some surprises in terms of lower priced, smaller form factor iPad versions, iPad's market share could be down to 50% by the end of 2011.
post #38 of 55
Quote:

No, they are all tools to do work or tasks. Categories are ridiculous. You should get the most cost effective tool for the tasks you want to complete. Companies want you to think like you are thinking. "This is a tablet so i don't need this feature, or this feature." It is all brainwashing to make you buy products that lack capabilities.

Wake up!!!
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

[for various debatable reasons, the] iPad will no longer be able to maintain 95% of the tablet market share.

Apple is likely to win in big in the business market where the 9.7" screen size, 3G option, Apple brand name and app store are differentiators. Unless Apple manages to pull off some surprises in terms of lower priced, smaller form factor iPad versions, iPad's market share could be down to 50% by the end of 2011.

This argument isn't too much of a concern for apple. If cheep tablets become popular and expand the market, Apple will surely be happy to take %50 of sales (the high end, of course) and %85 of the profit.

Remember, Apple (and Gateway and Dell...) has proven over the last 10 years that market share is not the best indicator of health. %50 of 100million is better than %95 of 50million. Furthermore, a healthy market of inferior tablets could bring new people to the market who end up wanting the premium experience Apple offers.

I'm sure Apple s much more concerned about quality Android tablets after the tablet optimized Android is released...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Actually no. What they are saying is that rumors that the ipad 2.0 will launch in the early part of 2011 (possibly as early as February) is going to keep folks from buying non ipad tablets. Because they will want to see what the ipad 2.0 looks like first.

Then again, those people won't buy iPads for the holidays either, because they'll be waiting for the new one...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumors of Apple's second-generation iPad expected to weaken tablet sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumors of Apple's second-generation iPad expected to weaken tablet sales