or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update

AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update

post #1 of 88
In addition to iOS 4.2 for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, Apple on Monday also released an update for its Apple TV set top box today, bringing AirPlay support for wireless streaming.

Though Apple made no mention of the Apple TV update when announcing the forthcoming launch of iOS 4.2, the software arrived at the same time, around 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern on Monday. The Apple TV software update can be initiated through the device's settings menu, and is done directly over a wireless or wired Internet connection.

In addition to AirPlay, which will allow streaming of video and audio from iOS devices to the Apple TV, the 4.1 update also brings VoiceOver functionality. The new feature can be turned on through the accessibility menu of the Apple TV.

VoiceOver reads menus and metadata, including episode descriptions for TV shows. In the settings, users can also set the speed of voice playback.

The Apple TV 4.1 software update automatically enables AirPlay without password protection. If users choose, they can turn AirPlay off entirely through the settings menu, or can add a password to limit access.

AirPlay is built in to iOS 4.2 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It allows users to stream video or audio content directly to the Apple TV over a Wi-Fi network. Users can also directly stream music to an AirPort Express.
post #2 of 88
I hope this fixes video streaming since I'm running the GM1 on my iPad and have yet to be able to stream the video portion, only the audio so far.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hope this fixes video streaming since I'm running the GM1 on my iPad and have yet to be able to stream the video portion, only the audio so far.

Yeah, I checked 30 min ago & no update yet.

The Apple site has a good video of AirPlay and all the other 4.2 features.

http://www.apple.com/ios/
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #4 of 88
How about the ability to control volume through the remote or at least through Apple TV menus?
post #5 of 88
Any love for us Apple TV 1G owners ?
post #6 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Any love for us Apple TV 1G owners ?

If Apple TV 1 had Airplay, I'd buy one now, as they're still sparsely available at HK Apple resellers, at a super low price.
post #7 of 88
Any word on Plex? I love their Plex Media Server for my collection of DVD & BluRay rips. The server application rips my MKV file into an IOS friendly h.264 stream then streams it wonderfully to a Plex iPad app, the BluRays even stay as high-def as the iPad can handle...If the Plex IOS app did AirPlay, I could finally get my Plex Media Server Library on the big screen without using the Mini, which is just too pokey to keep up with the 1080p stream (the Plex Media Server doesn't re-rip the original movie files when streaming to another computer)

nothing to see here

nothing to see here

post #8 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

How about the ability to control volume through the remote or at least through Apple TV menus?

The volume control is on the TV.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #9 of 88
Can you stream Pandora or other apps with AirPlay?
post #10 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The volume control is on the TV.

Excuse me? My volume control is not on my TV, it's on my receiver. Not very Apple of them, to require users to use two separate remotes, when they could easily allow the AppleTV to control its own volume output.
post #11 of 88
10am PST, so that's what, 6pm UK time (under 2 hours).
I thought that 2nd gen ATV's were on 4.1 already?
Wil be interesting to see how the update is done. You could do audio AirPlay through the beta 4.2.x developer betas from what the rumor mills have said.

You'll can alter a sound level through your iPhone, or iPad presumably, no? For the main TV audio level, use the TV remote?
post #12 of 88
Apple TV 1 is not an iOS devise and this is only available for iOS Apple TV 2. Consider your APple TV Version 1 at "end of life" for any feature updates. The OS between the two is completely different. It's like asking if the 4.2 iPhone update will update your Mac to the same features.
post #13 of 88
Quote:

Excuse me? My volume control is not on my TV, it's on my receiver. Not very Apple of them, to require users to use two separate remotes, when they could easily allow the AppleTV to control its own volume output.

Likewise. Who listens to audio through the TV speakers these days? Unless you're going from every video device you have into the TV then out again to the receiver. Unfortunately, that's not easy to do with my setup.
post #14 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp344 View Post

Can you stream Pandora or other apps with AirPlay?

Short answer, yes. I do not use Pandora however my favorite internet radio app, Radio Paradise is airplay enabled and works great.

post #15 of 88
Quote:

How do you change the volume when you are watching regular TV? That is how you do it. Or with your Airplay iDevice or iPhone remote app.

post #16 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

I thought that 2nd gen ATV's were on 4.1 already?

Yeah, that is what I thought. http://ios.e-lite.org/ shows that Apple TV firmware 4.1 has been out since 09/27/2010 17:35:01. I would expect that they would be releasing 4.2 and that nobody realized it was already 4.1 so assumed it would be 4.1.
post #17 of 88
Quote:

How do you change the volume when you are watching regular TV? That is how you do it. Or with your Airplay iDevice or iPhone remote app.

When I'm watching regular TV, I'm choosing programming using the remote that comes with my regular TV (actually -- with my tuner, since I use a separate tuner and HD display). One remote to control both programming and volume.

If I'm using the Apple TV, I'll be choosing programming using the Apple TV remote, or my iPod Touch, or my future iPad 2. Would be nice if I could also change the volume, also using one remote for both programming and volume.
post #18 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Any word on Plex? I love their Plex Media Server for my collection of DVD & BluRay rips. The server application rips my MKV file into an IOS friendly h.264 stream then streams it wonderfully to a Plex iPad app, the BluRays even stay as high-def as the iPad can handle...If the Plex IOS app did AirPlay, I could finally get my Plex Media Server Library on the big screen without using the Mini, which is just too pokey to keep up with the 1080p stream (the Plex Media Server doesn't re-rip the original movie files when streaming to another computer)

Welcome to the future!

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...r-apple-tv-2g/

Still in its infancy, but it does...sort-of... work.
post #19 of 88
I wish Apple enables AirPlay between iDevices themselves and iDevices and Macs. I would be great way to share media.
post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

When I'm watching regular TV, I'm choosing programming using the remote that comes with my regular TV. One remote to control both programming and volume.

If I'm using the Apple TV, I'll be choosing programming using the Apple TV remote, or my iPod Touch, or my future iPad 2. Would be nice if I could also change the volume, also using one remote for both programming and volume.

You are likely going to need the programming remote to get to the HDMI input to launch aTV anyway so it should be handy already. aTV remote is very minimalistic and is only used when the aTV menu is displayed which is counterintuitive for volume control since you would need to navigate visually completely overriding your chosen video content. If you like a million buttons on your remote you can always choose a Google TV.

post #21 of 88
Quote:

You are likely going to need the programming remote to get to the HDMI input to launch aTV anyway so it should be handy already.

Nope. The display is auto-sensing and auto on/off. I'll use the remote for the switcher to turn on/off the TV signal to my display. The display doesn't have a remote, actually.
post #22 of 88
Quote:

Likely this is an example of design elegance. Apple would not deign to add redundancies.
post #23 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wish Apple enables AirPlay between iDevices themselves and iDevices and Macs. I would be great way to share media.

Not to mention it would turn an iPhone or iPod Touch into a great pair of wireless headphones for your Mac.
post #24 of 88
Quote:

Nope. The display is auto-sensing and auto on/off. I'll use the remote for the switcher to turn on/off the TV signal to my display. The display doesn't have a remote, actually.

Not sure how that works. I don't recall seeing any on/off switch on aTV. Mine just sleeps when I switch to another HDMI input.

post #25 of 88
Quote:

Short answer, yes. I do not use Pandora however my favorite internet radio app, Radio Paradise is airplay enabled and works great.

Awesome! Thanks! I'm sure other Apps will follow...
post #26 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is no reason they couldn't -- An AppleTV is pretty much the same as a current iDevice.

Maybe they'll offer a feature like the Zune where you can ejaculate A/V to your friends iDevices.

post #27 of 88
Quote:

When I'm watching regular TV, I'm choosing programming using the remote that comes with my regular TV (actually -- with my tuner, since I use a separate tuner and HD display). One remote to control both programming and volume.

Apple TV can be set up to receive inputs from any unused mode on a universal remote, which would allow you to use a single remote to control Apple TV and the volume.

It would be very bad for the average person if they were able to adjust the volume of their cable box, games consoles, dvd/blu ray players and Apple TV independently. As long as all devices are outputting at the same volume, there should only be one volume control available, or else you will get dramatic volume shifts when switching inputs.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #28 of 88
Quote:

Not sure how that works. I don't recall seeing any on/off switch on aTV. Mine just sleeps when I switch to another HDMI input.

Unfortunately, my display only has one HDMI, one DVI and one VGA input. It automatically senses if any of them are active, and powers up, activating the input for the one that is on first. I currently use the HDMI input for the tuner and the Blu-Ray through a small switcher, and the DVI input for my MacBook Pro when I have it connected. I used to have some analog devices (iPod dock, SD tuner and a DVD player) connected to the VGA through an upscaler, but the output quality of the upscaler is utter rubbish, so I don't use any of the analog devices any more.
post #29 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple TV can be set up to receive inputs from any unused mode on a universal remote, which would allow you to use a single remote to control Apple TV and the volume.

It would be very bad for the average person if they were able to adjust the volume of their cable box, games consoles, dvd/blu ray players and Apple TV independently. As long as all devices are outputting at the same volume, there should only be one volume control available, or else you will get dramatic volume shifts when switching inputs.

My TV tuner and my Blu-Ray both have independent volume controls. So do all of my iPods, which I use an Apple Remote to control with the Universal Dock.

I don't think there are any BD players on the market that don't have a separate volume control.
post #30 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Likely this is an example of design elegance. Apple would not deign to add redundancies.

I dunno - I can change the volume for certain media using my Apple Remote on my 1st Gen TV. I can also use the volume slider in the Remote app on my iPhone. Pretty sure this only works on music however; I don't believe it works for controlling the audio levels when watching video content (or perhaps it's okay for PCM/AAC/MP3 but not for AC3/DD-encoded audio - I've just not paid much attention since I use a universal remote and prefer to control the audio level on my amp).

I think the bigger question is, Why would you want to decrease the level at the source? You'd end up with additional noise...
post #31 of 88
Quote:

Likewise. Who listens to audio through the TV speakers these days? Unless you're going from every video device you have into the TV then out again to the receiver. Unfortunately, that's not easy to do with my setup.

*raises hand*

And the TV *is* the receiver. My PS2, Wii, rev1 Apple TV, DVD player, and VCR all go directly into the TV and output from there.
post #32 of 88
Quote:

Unfortunately, my display only has one HDMI, one DVI and one VGA input. It automatically senses if any of them are active, and powers up, activating the input for the one that is on first. I currently use the HDMI input for the tuner and the Blu-Ray through a small switcher, and the DVI input for my MacBook Pro when I have it connected. I used to have some analog devices (iPod dock, SD tuner and a DVD player) connected to the VGA through an upscaler, but the output quality of the upscaler is utter rubbish, so I don't use any of the analog devices any more.

You may need to buy an updated HDMI switcher which will come with yet another remote.

post #33 of 88
Quote:

Very helpful. So I can use my Verizon remote (which, by the way, is capable of changing the volume of the cable box, a feature that the Apple TV remote can't handle clearly). So to use Apple TV I have to use 2 remotes. Thank you for telling me what I just told you.
post #34 of 88
Quote:

Oh, and no, the Airplay device and iPhone remote CANT change the volume. Duh. If you don't know the answer, please stop trying.
post #35 of 88
Quote:

Did you watch the video?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #36 of 88
Quote:

Not to quibble here, but it actually makes more sense to control the volume with your receiver, just as you would when playing a DVD or listening to the radio. Don't get me wrong: I would like the ability to control volume via Apple TV too (or at least an option to lower the volume by 5db since Apple TV's output is a little too loud for the HDMI input on my crap TV).
post #37 of 88
Of things to fix on AppleTV.

1 - When playing music from the computer (mac of course) when I create a genius playlist from a song, then the ATV just plays the next of the same album, ignoring the genius playlist
2 - remote on iPad sometimes sees the appletv but most of the time doesn't
3 - how lame is it that to play music I have to go under "computer", choose my computer and then play the music. I loved the old way much more. Once the old ATV was connected songs would appear in the music section, movies under movies, tv shows under tv shows.
Now I basically have to dig a couple of menus more just to find my stuff.
4 - airplay needs to be fixed. If I stream a song from the iPad with airplay and then use the remote to play another song off my computer, the ATV would just display the old album art, freeze the timer but play the correct song...

As soon as I find more I'll write them. Please feel free to correct me if some of these are not bugs but just me...
post #38 of 88
Quote:

My TV tuner and my Blu-Ray both have independent volume controls. So do all of my iPods, which I use an Apple Remote to control with the Universal Dock.

I don't think there are any BD players on the market that don't have a separate volume control.

I'd hate that. It's bad enough that my dad tries to change the volume of my TV and not the receiver. Luckily my new TV just adjusts the line out volume instead of turning the TV speakers up and down like my old TV did, but it's still annoying to figure out why the receiver is turned up so high and I'm still not getting much sound.

Ideally you should be able to adjust the volume from any device, but there should only be one volume that you are controlling. In the absence of that, I'd like the volume of all input devices fixed or hidden. If you have to pick up another remote, so be it.

Like I said before, you can make a universal remote work with Apple TV if you want volume control on the same remote.
post #39 of 88
I'm using AirTunes (LOVE it) streaming to 3 speaker systems using Airport Expresses.
Currently only 3 locations plus the iMac is possible = 4 (multiple speakers)

Will AirPlay add a 5th speaker ie the TV? using Apple TV?

What is the max # of multiple speakers allowed in Airplay?
post #40 of 88
Quote:

+1 [or +1 billion] on this.

the aTV remote is incredibly simple, but you MUST have your 100-button receiver remote in your other hand just to control volume.i KNOW adjusting the volume at the aTV isn't ideal, but come on, the up and down buttons on the aTV remote basically aren't being used right now during playback. IDEALLY, i could program the top and bottom of the ring on the aTV remote to be my receiver volume buttons during playback!
This is my biggest gripe with the aTV2.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update