or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update

AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update - Page 2

post #41 of 88
The Apple TV update is now here. Downloading it now!
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the aTV remote is incredibly simple, but you MUST have your 100-button receiver remote in your other hand just to control volume.

Are there really people who have home theater setups who have all of their devices' remotes on-hand? $100 for a Harmony remote. Job done. All of my original remotes (including my Apple Remote) are tucked away.
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMatthew View Post

The Apple TV update is now here. Downloading it now!

installed, video streaming is working fine, from iPad and iPhone, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro via iTunes.

15' MPB Retina 768 SSD,8 core Mac Pro-64g-dual 30's13' MBA/2011 Mini, 2012 iMac SSD 4core i7,iPhone 4S/iPad 2 64 LTE/AppleTV 2

15' MPB Retina 768 SSD,8 core Mac Pro-64g-dual 30's13' MBA/2011 Mini, 2012 iMac SSD 4core i7,iPhone 4S/iPad 2 64 LTE/AppleTV 2

post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Apple TV 1 is not an iOS devise and this is only available for iOS Apple TV 2. Consider your APple TV Version 1 at "end of life" for any feature updates. The OS between the two is completely different. It's like asking if the 4.2 iPhone update will update your Mac to the same features.

That makes sense, but it would be rather nice if news/rumor reports would differentiate. This one from AI said "AppleTV." I have one of those, so would expect the 4.1 update to be applicable to it. It didn't say a 4.1 update for the iOS one.

That said, can anyone verify they looked for a software update for the original AppleTV and there wasn't one available? I will check when I get home myself, but I'm rather curious.
post #45 of 88
The original Apple TV v1 does do Airtunes (or Airplay as it's called now).
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Excuse me? My volume control is not on my TV, it's on my receiver. Not very Apple of them, to require users to use two separate remotes, when they could easily allow the AppleTV to control its own volume output.

If Apple gave you the opportunity to modulate the volume on the AppleTV, that introduces the problem that now two different devices in your audio stream would be affecting volume: the AppleTV first and then your receiver (or TV, or whatever controls your speakers) second. You would have to keep your receiver's output level at some fixed value and remember to modify only the AppleTV volume. But worse, when you are NOT using your AppleTV and you modify your receiver's output volume then come back to AppleTV, you would need to rediscover the appropriate setting for your receiver. In other words, you have only complicated the situation.

So, no. Making the AppleTV output a line level signal and letting the receiver handle the volume is the appropriate thing to do, IMO. If you want to have only one remote, you can do what so many others do: get a universal remote that knows how to speak "AppleTV" or is trainable to do such.

Thompson
post #47 of 88
Quote:

Excuse me? My volume control is not on my TV, it's on my receiver. Not very Apple of them, to require users to use two separate remotes, when they could easily allow the AppleTV to control its own volume output.

Whether it's on the TV or the receiver, why wouldn't that remote control the volume? Isn't the line level audio on HDMI, you know, line level?

What am I missing here?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #48 of 88
ATV remote should do power, input and volume.

I'm thinking someone should make a tiny thin remote that only does that and adheres to the back of the ATV remote.

I like the remote just wish it did the basics that everyone needs for every tv watching experience.

I know Jobs like imagine his products in a perfect vacuum, but in every other place you need to turn on the tv, change the input and change the volume up/down.
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Not to quibble here, but it actually makes more sense to control the volume with your receiver, just as you would when playing a DVD or listening to the radio. Don't get me wrong: I would like the ability to control volume via Apple TV too (or at least an option to lower the volume by 5db since Apple TV's output is a little too loud for the HDMI input on my crap TV).

hah
my apple TV remote turns on all my macs and movies on them while i use it on my apple tv . my son was doing his home work on it.

i really dream of the 900 button google remote that control;s times square sized video screens

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hope this fixes video streaming since I'm running the GM1 on my iPad and have yet to be able to stream the video portion, only the audio so far.

Yes. I checked my AppleTV and it was auto-updating.

After that I was able to send video (U2 btw) from both my iPad and my MacbookPro.

Prior to the update, it was audio only.
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple TV can be set up to receive inputs from any unused mode on a universal remote, which would allow you to use a single remote to control Apple TV and the volume.

It would be very bad for the average person if they were able to adjust the volume of their cable box, games consoles, dvd/blu ray players and Apple TV independently. As long as all devices are outputting at the same volume, there should only be one volume control available, or else you will get dramatic volume shifts when switching inputs.

Jesus, this is ridiculous. There's NO reason for Apple not to give you the OPTION to change volume SOMEWHERE in the settings. It doesn't have to be a button on the remote, but how about a slider on the Remote app on the iPhone and iPad? How about a setting deep in the audio settings? There's just no reason to give NO control over the volume that the device is outputting. Stop apologizing for Apple's oversight.
post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There is no reason they couldn't -- An AppleTV is pretty much the same as a current iDevice.

Maybe they'll offer a feature like the Zune where you can ejaculate A/V to your friends iDevices.

iJaculate? Lol!
post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Not to quibble here, but it actually makes more sense to control the volume with your receiver, just as you would when playing a DVD or listening to the radio. Don't get me wrong: I would like the ability to control volume via Apple TV too (or at least an option to lower the volume by 5db since Apple TV's output is a little too loud for the HDMI input on my crap TV).

Really? It makes more sense? So instead of moving my index finger 1 inch to change the volume, it makes more sense to get up, walk across the room and change it from the receiver's source? Because right now that's my only option because I don't have a remote for it. What makes more sense is to have an option.
post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did you watch the video?

The video, the video.... let's see, the video....
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Whether it's on the TV or the receiver, why wouldn't that remote control the volume? Isn't the line level audio on HDMI, you know, line level?

What am I missing here?

It would! But WHY do you think I should have to use two remotes to control the Apple TV? Is Apple that stupid that they can't figure out what every other CE maker has? How to allow their remote control to handle volume?
post #56 of 88
Quote:

Jesus, this is ridiculous. There's NO reason for Apple not to give you the OPTION to change volume SOMEWHERE in the settings. It doesn't have to be a button on the remote, but how about a slider on the Remote app on the iPhone and iPad? How about a setting deep in the audio settings? There's just no reason to give NO control over the volume that the device is outputting. Stop apologizing for Apple's oversight.

I have no problems with a hidden setting (as I had already stated, if you had bothered to read the rest of the thread) to balance the volume between all your inputs, but providing a dedicated volume switch for every input device just makes for a very messy situation. Imagine every cable channel being output at a different volume. I don't want my ears to be blasted when I switch from cable to Apple TV because someone in my family messed with the volume of both.

Edit: For the record. I'm not apologizing for Apple's "oversight". I'd much rather have no volume control on Apple TV at all then have an easy to access on on the remote. Yes, a hidden setting would be best, but quite frankly I wouldn't touch it, since the volume it outputs at matches my other devices. I have a mac, PS3, wii, cable box, Apple TV, and a receiver connected to my TV. The mac remains at max volume at all times, and I don't even know if I can adjust the volume on the cable box/wii/PS3. If I can, it's a hidden setting that I've had no need to adjust. Individually controlling the volume of all those devices would only end blaring and silent transitions between different video modes. I would not want that at all.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #57 of 88
Quote:

It would! But WHY do you think I should have to use two remotes to control the Apple TV? Is Apple that stupid that they can't figure out what every other CE maker has? How to allow their remote control to handle volume?

So take it back and get a GoogleTV with the Starship Enterprise console (tm) remote instead.

Seriously, what else do you want added to the remote? Input selector to switch between various HDMI inputs? Changing channels? Controlling your satellite dish or cable box?

You guys are way overthinking this. The AppleTV remote is an IR remote, any "learning" remote -- all the way up to the Harmony Remotes and beyond -- could manage all your A/V functions including control of your AppleTV for those of you who can't juggle two remotes (including one very small one).

post #58 of 88
I got an iPhone 4 (and iPad).

Can I Airplay video taken on the iPhone right to the Apple TV?

Read somewhere that does not work but Airplaying photos and music does?

Does not make sense if you can't do this.
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

The original Apple TV v1 does do Airtunes (or Airplay as it's called now).

Yes, but Airtunes is audio-only. It's great being able to stream music from my laptop to my receiver via it, but it would seem that I'll never be able to push video content (although I'm not particularly bothered by it since my content is all on my Mac upstairs where I have a few TB of drive space, not on my 16gb phone).

Quote:

Okay, since this is clearly an issue for some people, here's another thought. The original AppleTV (and no doubt then the new generation) allows itself to be the reverse of a learning remote: instead of having your remote learn the codes from another remote, you can program the AppleTV to learn another remote so you can use that remote to control your AppleTV. Take your TV remote, find a couple of buttons that aren't used by the TV, and program your AppleTV to use those buttons. Now you've got your TV remote that you can use to control your volume, and your TV remote that can now control your AppleTV. Problem solved.
post #60 of 88
Quote:

Really? It makes more sense? So instead of moving my index finger 1 inch to change the volume, it makes more sense to get up, walk across the room and change it from the receiver's source? Because right now that's my only option because I don't have a remote for it. What makes more sense is to have an option.

You should probably get a remote for your receiver.
post #61 of 88
I sure hope that Hulu plus adds airplay capability.

Is that even possible for them to add to their app?
post #62 of 88
Quote:

Apple knows that that will only lead to more confusion, as you'll have at least two devices controlling the volume at that point (the AppleTV first, followed by your receiver and/or anything else in the audio chain between AppleTV and the speakers). If your entire complaint is based on the need for two remotes, then get a universal remote like everyone else, and program it to talk to your Apple TV. Problem solved.

Thompson
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Apple knows that that will only lead to more confusion, as you'll have at least two devices controlling the volume at that point (the AppleTV first, followed by your receiver and/or anything else in the audio chain between AppleTV and the speakers). If your entire complaint is based on the need for two remotes, then get a universal remote like everyone else, and program it to talk to your Apple TV. Problem solved.

Thompson

I agree

A DVD player doesn't have volume control, you have to use your tv or receiver remote. Same with a PS3 or a Blue-Ray player or just about any separate audio and video device. Also if you have ever heard a multiple level sound controlled system you know it sounds like ass. Either you get over amplification from one device or under from the other. Than when you find one setting on one the other is still off. Then you change sources and have to do the dance all over again.

Get a universal remote and make it easier. I have done e dance with enough remotes to know that they will all let you down in one way or another. A true universal learning/programable remote is yr best option.
post #64 of 88
Quote:

Forget about the AppleTV for the moment. Let's talk about potential devices that act as sources for your entertainment center. Until recently, at my house, there were these: (1) cable box, (2) DVD player, (3) MacMini. All of these devices have their own individual volume settings such as what you are asking for in the AppleTV, and they are all connected to my A/V system with its killer speakers.

Getting these things to behave correctly with respect to volume was a challenge. Since the output volume was affected by two sources (for instance, while watching cable, both the cable box and the A/V system affect the resulting output volume) it was always a balancing act between the two volumes to get things just so. And whenever we changed our input source on the A/V system (e.g. from cable to DVD) we ran the risk of blowing our freaking eardrums off (e.g. if the DVD player volume significantly exceeded what was currently being put out by the cable box).

Ultimately we settled on this ConOps: I spent the time to find the proper settings on the various sources so that when you switched the A/V system from one input source to another, you experienced a relatively smooth transition with respect to volume. Then we all agreed to ONLY change the volume of the A/V system instead of any of the individual sources. That was a good solution, but periodically folks screwed up, and things got out of balance again. Finally, I got a Harmony remote, which has programmable "activities", and you can assign the volume button to only speak to the A/V system. This ended the go-round. Note that by balancing the various devices and then never messing with them, I had created my own virtual "line level". It was the only good solution, and that's why I believe that the AppleTV is correct for just using a "line level" approach to begin with. When we got the AppleTV (and replaced the MacMini) all I had to do was ensure that my "virtual line level" of the other devices was matched to the true "line level" of the AppleTV. And our ConOps of only using the universal remote to handle the volume is still in play. It's the right way to do things.

So the bottom line, cameronj, is that I think you are solving the problem of "too many remotes" the wrong way. Instead of further complicating the equation by adding live variability on the AppleTV (which still doesn't eliminate your need for the other remote, by the way) you should be concentrating on making your remote smarter. Obtain a remote to rule all of your devices... including the AppleTV, and put that stupid remote that ships with the AppleTV in a drawer somewhere nearby, in case of emergencies. Then you really WILL have fewer remotes on the table, regardless of which source you are using at the moment.

Thompson
post #65 of 88
Quote:

What am I missing here?

your tv volume is at 5, how are you going to turn the sound up to 7 with the line level?
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

your tv volume is at 5, how are you going to turn the sound up to 7 with the line level?

You turn up the TV volume from 5 to 7. Why is that not a good solution?
post #67 of 88
if anyone can anwer the following questions, i'd appreciate it:

with this aTV update:

can i stream video from a web browser on my macbook pro to my aTV2?

can i stream FLASH video, same as above?

can i stream FLASH video [NHL GameCenterLive, specifically] from my iPhone [using Skyfire to convert] to my aTV2?
post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

if anyone can anwer the following questions, i'd appreciate it:

with this aTV update:

can i stream video from a web browser on my macbook pro to my aTV2?

can i stream FLASH video, same as above?

can i stream FLASH video [NHL GameCenterLive, specifically] from my iPhone [using Skyfire to convert] to my aTV2?

The answer to the first two is no, only AirPlay through iTunes is supported on OSX. Hopefully that will change in Lion. The answer to the last one is probably no for now, but I'll be checking things like out when I get home. Since Skyfire provides .h264 video, I think it could work, but it probably needs an update.
post #69 of 88
Quote:

What am I missing here?

Quote:

You turn up the TV volume from 5 to 7. Why is that not a good solution?

you can't do that with the line level - I was answering the people who want to control it all with the apple remote.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The answer to the first two is no, only AirPlay through iTunes is supported on OSX. Hopefully that will change in Lion. The answer to the last one is probably no for now, but I'll be checking things like out when I get home. Since Skyfire provides .h264 video, I think it could work, but it probably needs an update.

how about airplay of H.264 video in safair on the iPad? Can that be sent to the AppleTV with airplay?
post #71 of 88
Whoops wrong thread.
post #72 of 88
Quote:

how about airplay of H.264 video in safair on the iPad? Can that be sent to the AppleTV with airplay?

I don't know.

Edit: Safari is audio only, and as far as I can tell 3rd party apps are a no go at this point.
post #73 of 88
Quote:

you can't do that with the line level - I was answering the people who want to control it all with the apple remote.

OK, well the problem is the limited Apple remote, not the line level. If they want fewer remotes, then these people should get a universal remote and squirrel that Apple remote away for emergencies. (I don't think that Apple wants to get into the business of making Universal remotes. Logitech has great solutions already with their Harmony series.)

In their version of the world, they still need another remote on the table when they switch back to watching regular TV, or DVDs, etc. Why not get a Universal remote that is capable of talking to their AppleTV too and avoid the mess and trouble... including the trouble they will invariably get into when they are futzing around with multiple volume levels?

Thompson
post #74 of 88
Quote:

OK, well the problem is the limited Apple remote, not the line level. If they want fewer remotes, then these people should get a universal remote and squirrel that Apple remote away for emergencies. (I don't think that Apple wants to get into the business of making Universal remotes. Logitech has great solutions already with their Harmony series.)

In their version of the world, they still need another remote on the table when they switch back to watching regular TV, or DVDs, etc. Why not get a Universal remote that is capable of talking to their AppleTV too and avoid the mess and trouble... including the trouble they will invariably get into when they are futzing around with multiple volume levels?

Thompson

Yep. Harmony Remotes - while not cheap are amazing. Mine controls my Blu-Ray, TV, Wii and AppleTV.

No reason for Apple to enter this market.
post #75 of 88
Why are Safari videos not working with Airplay?

- - -

YouTube works fine. Notice the Video Airplay icons.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #76 of 88
I'm using AirTunes (LOVE it) streaming to 3 speaker systems using Airport Expresses.
Currently only 3 locations plus the iMac is possible = 4 (multiple speakers)

Will AirPlay add a 5th speaker ie the TV? using Apple TV?

What is the max # of multiple speakers allowed in Airplay?

Might have to call Apple for answer to this. If it allows the TV plus the 4 other multiple speaker options, I'll buy an Apple TV and download all the upgrades. Right now still using older iTunes etc because AirTunes works perfectly and I don't want to lose what I have.
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

hah
my apple TV remote turns on all my macs and movies on them while i use it on my apple tv . my son was doing his home work on it.

i really dream of the 900 button google remote that control;s times square sized video screens

Out of the box the Apple Remote controls all compatible devices simultaneously. That includes any Macs with an IR port, the old and new Apple TV and the Universal Dock. However, you CAN pair the remote to just one device of your choosing. RTFM!
post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Out of the box the Apple Remote controls all compatible devices simultaneously. That includes any Macs with an IR port, the old and new Apple TV and the Universal Dock. However, you CAN pair the remote to just one device of your choosing. RTFM!

RTFM? At the very least Apple should pair the Apple TV remote in the factory. This is Apple we're talking about, they usually sweat the details.
post #79 of 88
I'm using the fabulous PS3 Media Server to stream my blu-ray MKV files to my 50" Aquos flat screen via MacBook. Works awesome. The PS3 even reads MKV subtitles and it's free.

The iTunes Japan store now has movies therefore I'm thinking of ways to take advantage of the new AppleTV for movies from iTunes and movies from my blu-ray MKV collection. Obviously I need some HDMI connection since everything is 720p or above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
post #80 of 88
Notice there's video icon on video podcasts on iTunes? Well it's not working.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update