or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update

AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update - Page 3

post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Excuse me? My volume control is not on my TV, it's on my receiver. Not very Apple of them, to require users to use two separate remotes, when they could easily allow the AppleTV to control its own volume output.

You can easily program your receiver or other remote to control the Apple TV.
post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

your tv volume is at 5, how are you going to turn the sound up to 7 with the line level?

Line level is a standard level for consumer audio equipment, typically −10 dBV (0.316 VRMS). Since it has a common level, it makes connecting various audio components easier.

Likewise, the signal level of the digital audio in HDMI is a standard level from whatever HDMI source device (DVD, Blu-Ray, DVR, Cablebox, Roku, AppleTV, etc.) you happen to be using.

Neither of those are where you'd want to "turn the sound up to 7".

If any case could be made, it might be for a mute button on the Apple remote. But typically what happens is that someone mutes the audio, forgets about it, turns the volume on their TV/receiver/etc. up full, then figures out that the mute is on, then blows out their speakers when they get instant full volume (or their eardrums if they are using headphones).

No, the TV or receiver (or whatever audio amplifier you are using) is the right place for a volume control. If you have a halfway modern receiver with HDMI switching, it came with an IR remote that will "learn" commands for driving other A/V components. My Cox DVR remote has a volume control that automatically turns the TV or 5.1 receiver volume up or down regardless of what other component is selected on the remote, I think that's pretty standard for any recent multi-function A/V remote.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #83 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

RTFM? At the very least Apple should pair the Apple TV remote in the factory. This is Apple we're talking about, they usually sweat the details.

Re-RTFM.

Pairing to a particular device does not prevent the remote you have paired from controlling other devices, it simply causes the device you have paired it with to reject other remotes. Paring an Apple TV remote to an Apple TV in the factory would be a Bad Idea. I have 3 Apple remotes which I use interchangeably with my ATVs, imagine the average Joe consumer buying 2 Apple TVs and having to keep the two identical looking remotes from being accidentally switched. Or what if they did switch, and they think the ATV is broken and not responding to IR input?

Therefore, either turn off the IR receiver in your computers altogether:

System Preference -> Security -> [ ] Disable remote control infrared receiver

Or, pair a remote with each Mac.
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

Pairing to a particular device does not prevent the remote you have paired from controlling other devices, it simply causes the device you have paired it with to reject other remotes.

Fair enough, but I didn't make the point originally.

Besides, this is a problem Apple needs to solve IMO. Apple are best when the have these little solutions, with 'zero' work on the part of the user.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #85 of 88
AS far as I can see the Home Sharing feature doesn't allow all members of a family MobileMe account to use the Apple TV to share media on the big screen. Each person has to change their ID to the same one but then the Apple Store doesn't work obviously and nor should it else it would mess up updates etc. It would make far more sense if the Apple TV could allow up to five IDs purely for the Airtunes Library playing feature (music and photos) while allowing individual IDs to remain unchanged for purchasing. If there is another way around this I missed it. So please let me know if there is.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #86 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

I have 3 Apple remotes which I use interchangeably with my ATVs, imagine the average Joe consumer buying 2 Apple TVs and having to keep the two identical looking remotes from being accidentally switched.

Firstly, I'd say the vast vast majority of Apple TV 2 owners own one. Secondly, it's not the users problem to solve this issue, it's Apple's. It's what they do best.
post #87 of 88
Replying to my own reply (how vain is that!?! ):

I just found a post from by Michael Gray over on TUAW that points out the Apple TV can be set up to respond to the functions from an existing remote:

Teaching your Apple TV to use a 3rd party remote (tuaw.com)

Pretty cool, IMO, and should resolve most people's concerns over not having a volume control on the remote supplied with the Apple TV. I can't wait to get home to try this with my Cox DVR remote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Line level is a standard level for consumer audio equipment, typically −10 dBV (0.316 VRMS). Since it has a common level, it makes connecting various audio components easier.

Likewise, the signal level of the digital audio in HDMI is a standard level from whatever HDMI source device (DVD, Blu-Ray, DVR, Cablebox, Roku, AppleTV, etc.) you happen to be using.

Neither of those are where you'd want to "turn the sound up to 7".

If any case could be made, it might be for a mute button on the Apple remote. But typically what happens is that someone mutes the audio, forgets about it, turns the volume on their TV/receiver/etc. up full, then figures out that the mute is on, then blows out their speakers when they get instant full volume (or their eardrums if they are using headphones).

No, the TV or receiver (or whatever audio amplifier you are using) is the right place for a volume control. If you have a halfway modern receiver with HDMI switching, it came with an IR remote that will "learn" commands for driving other A/V components. My Cox DVR remote has a volume control that automatically turns the TV or 5.1 receiver volume up or down regardless of what other component is selected on the remote, I think that's pretty standard for any recent multi-function A/V remote.

post #88 of 88
Various observations regarding Airplay:

From iPhone playing movie shot on iPhone will not airplay

Viewing a video stored on iDisk will only airply the audio portion

Viewing photos on iPhone is really slow when airplaying

Airplaying photos from iPad is much more responsive.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AirPlay streaming to come with today's Apple TV 4.1 update