or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

post #1 of 314
Samsung has revealed that it sold 600,000 units of its Galaxy Tab touchscreen tablet worldwide in the first month, compared to more than a million iPads sold in the U.S. alone in less than a month earlier this year.

The numbers, detailed by The Korea Herald, show that Samsung's tablet has had a healthy start, but the device still lags behind the iPad. For comparison, Apple's Wi-Fi-only tablet sold more than a million units when it launched in the U.S. alone earlier this year, and before the 3G model launched.

The Galaxy Tab saw a much quicker international rollout than the iPad, debuting in Italy in mid-October. The 7-inch touchscreen tablet recently launched in the U.S. on Nov. 11, and is available through all four major wireless carriers.

The iPad debuted in the U.S. in early April with the Wi-Fi-only model, and the 3G version launched stateside a month later. International sales of the iPad were delayed as Apple struggled to meet demand, and the product launched on May 28 in Germany, the U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Spain, Italy and France.

The Galaxy Tab is noteworthy because it is the first major touchscreen tablet based on the Google Android mobile operating system. While Samsung modified Android to work on the larger tablet screen, Google is expected to introduce tablet-specific features in the next update to Android, codenamed "Gingerbread."

Another hopeful iPad rival, the HP Slate, sold just 9,000 units, it was revealed earlier this month. The Windows 7-based touchscreen device was given a hyped debut early this year before the iPad was introduced, in an attempt to steal some of Apple's thunder.
post #2 of 314
We now have 3 each in my Household, and the best part is that they all have their own distinct GUI/Home Screen set-ups, making them very 'personalized' to their respective user's needs.

That's really part of the beauty of Android... That there's so much flexibility/and customization available, as opposed to being relegated to an endless barrage of poorly-spaced icons.

My Galaxy Tab has quickly become the first gadget I reach for when I head out the door (next to my Samsung Fascinate) - It's Near-Perfect - IMO.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 314
That's a lot more than I expected. Someone's making it interesting. Of course, the iPad got iOS 4.2 today and will get a hardware rev in a few months, so Apple isn't exactly sitting still.
post #4 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

We now have 3 each in my Household

Why? One for every pocket?
post #5 of 314
600,000 units isn't a bad start, IMO. Hopefully a customizable home screen isn't its best feature.

Later guys, off to play with AirPlay.
post #6 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Nope... I bought mine on the 11th, and then the spouse decided that she'd like one because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device, next I bought one for my oldest (who loves all things Android).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #7 of 314
Quote:

Nope... I bought mine on the 11th, and then the spouse decided that she'd like one because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device, next I bought one for my oldest (who loves all things Android).

...I think you missed his point -- if there are three of you, and you have "three each" in your household, that means your household has 9 of them.
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
post #8 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

DaHarder is a known troll that has been caught um, "stretching the truth" on many many occasions, both here, and on Engadget, possibly other places as well. It's best to simply ignore him, he's likely just looking to get a rise out of you. He also is not very good with English grammar, so in his defence, he probably meant three for the entire household, not three each.
post #9 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

...I think you missed his point -- if there are three of you, and you have "three each" in your household, that means your household has 9 of them.

Slow down a little...
post #10 of 314
Quote:

We now have 3 each in my Household, and the best part is that they all have their own distinct GUI/Home Screen set-ups, making them very 'personalized' to their respective user's needs.

With a 7 inch screen, the offering from our Korean friends is certain to be dead on arrival.
post #11 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

600,000 units isn't a bad start, IMO. Hopefully a customizable home screen isn't its best feature.

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just too darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #12 of 314
Quote:

Later guys, off to play with AirPlay.

That's definitely a pretty impressive number. It will be interesting to see how that holds up and what the iPad 2 does to compete. Good for us - I'm sure that had there been a real competitor showing last spring we'd have had an iPad with 512MB and a camera. :/ Then again, maybe we'll get an iPad Retina display... that would be sweet.
post #13 of 314
Quote:

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just to darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

The iPad is much more elegant and user friendly. The icons are all right there in from of you, which is easier instead of being all over the place.
post #14 of 314
Quote:

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just to darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

When you carry both the Fascinate and the Tab, how do you decide which to use?
post #15 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

DaHarder is a known troll that has been caught um, "stretching the truth" on many many occasions, both here, and on Engadget, possibly other places as well. It's best to simply ignore him, he's likely just looking to get a rise out of you. He also is not very good with English grammar, so in his defence, he probably meant three for the entire household, not three each.

Any claims I've ever made have all been 100% factual, and proven on numerous occasions, so take your Hate/Vitriol/Lies Elsewhere...

EDIT: BTW... I Challenge You To Prove Any of Your Lies.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #16 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

That's definitely a pretty impressive number. It will be interesting to see how that holds up and what the iPad 2 does to compete. Good for us - I'm sure that had there been a real competitor showing last spring we'd have had an iPad with 512MB and a camera. :/ Then again, maybe we'll get an iPad Retina display... that would be sweet.

I can tell you right now. Some people will buy, few will like it, the disapointed will be buying iPads. Can you compare them really? Of course not.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #17 of 314
Seriously, other than shirtless trailer park types
Who would buy this?
post #18 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

When you carry both the Fascinate and the Tab, how do you decide which to use?

When the phone rings... It's My Fascinate - otherwise I use my Galaxy tab for social networking/web duties/fun - Pretty Simple
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #19 of 314
Quote:

True multitasking huh? Yuo are too funny.

post #20 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

That's a lot more than I expected. Someone's making it interesting. Of course, the iPad got iOS 4.2 today and will get a hardware rev in a few months, so Apple isn't exactly sitting still.

I'm surprised at the number as well. I thought it was waaay to expensive. It needs to be closer to $300 without contract. I bought the Nook Color, which I'm still undecided about. I think the Notion Ink is the device I'm going to be really happy with. If it's half as good as it seems, it will be more than enough for me to sell my iPad and finally get a good Android tablet.
post #21 of 314
insult removed
post #22 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

The iPad is much more elegant and user friendly. The icons are all right there in from of you, which is easier instead of being all over the place.

One can also have icons all in one place on the Galaxy Tab (and they're always there in the app drawer anyway), but I prefer to have my information available at-a-glance via live-widgets, and my Galaxy Tab/Android affords that luxury.

Options are Nice...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #23 of 314
Quote:

That's really part of the beauty of Android... That there's so much flexibility/and customization available, as opposed to being relegated to an endless barrage of poorly-spaced icons.

I would have agreed with your criticism of the iPad's icon arrangement yesterday.
But today is a new day and a new iOS which now allows for folders on the iPad.
post #24 of 314
I would very much like to see Apple take advantage of its economies of scale and have a sale price for the iPad for the holiday season ($100+ off) making it THE holiday gift this year (as long as they've built enough). Make it go all Tickle-me-elmo crazy but with enough supply.

Also it would help them push out the rest of this generation in time for the new generation next quarter. Plus it'll help avoid all of the complainers that say "hey! i just bought 1st gen two weeks ago at the same price! WTF!"
post #25 of 314
Quote:

600,000 units isn't a bad start, IMO...

DaHarder bought 300,000 of those.
post #26 of 314
samsung should be happy with those numbers.
post #27 of 314
Quote:

It has received some decent reviews but many have stated that touch is not that responsive and a noticeable lag in gestures was reported. Also the battery life is about half of the iPad. Others have also reported that it gets really hot really quickly while web browsing. Also a lot of Android apps apparently don't run on it for some reason. Probably why Google recommended against using 2.2 for a tablet. Furthermore the keyboard has been described as too small for natural typing and the screen is very frustrating to use in sunlit conditions. To be fair iPad is too but the Galaxy is said to be even worse.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #28 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I would have agreed with your criticism of the iPad's icon arrangement yesterday.
But today is a new day and a new iOS which now allows for folders on the iPad.

I just upgraded my iPad to iOS 4.2, and the folders are a very welcome feature (just as they are on my other modern iDevices), but there's still no option to adjust that horrendously wasteful icon spacing that I've discovered.

Maybe next time...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #29 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I would very much like to see Apple take advantage of its economies of scale and have a sale price for the iPad for the holiday season ($100+ off) making it THE holiday gift this year (as long as they've built enough). Make it go all Tickle-me-elmo crazy but with enough supply.

Also it would help them push out the rest of this generation in time for the new generation next quarter. Plus it'll help avoid all of the complainers that say "hey! i just bought 1st gen two weeks ago at the same price! WTF!"

Your wish has come true. Go check out TJ Max's $100 off pricing for the bottom level hi-fi.
post #30 of 314
Quote:

You have the option to arrange it to whatever you feel like it (messy, clean, static, dynamic, hot color, dark color)

You DONT have that option AT ALL in iOS.

The iPad your friend has is almost the same as yours, sans background display.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #31 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It has received some decent reviews but many have stated that touch is not that responsive and a noticeable lag in gestures was reported. Also the battery life is about half of the iPad. Others have also reported that it gets really hot really quickly while web browsing. Also a lot of Android apps apparently don't run on it for some reason. Probably why Google recommended against using 2.2 for a tablet. Furthermore the keyboard has been described as too small for natural typing and the screen is very frustrating to use in sunlit conditions. To be fair iPad is too but the Galaxy is said to be even worse.

Why don't you stop all this relying on the (often biased) opinions of others, and do as I do and actually BUY these devices and experience them first-hand.

Note: My Galaxy Tab's screen is every bit as 'responsive' as any of my iDevices, even my iPad.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #32 of 314
for an item that was supposed to be DOA because no one in the world, in their right mind, would ever want a 7" screen, it seems to be selling reasonably well.
post #33 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All of the Android apps run. And the majority of the apps run full screen size. There is about 10% of those apps that run in the middle. However, with there is an app that fixes all of that too.

post #34 of 314
Quote:

You almost got me there but just went a little OTT with the "because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device".

Still 600,000 is pretty impressive.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #35 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Your wish has come true. Go check out TJ Max's $100 off pricing for the bottom level hi-fi.

Sold Out, and they only surfaced on the West Coast it appears.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #36 of 314
Quote:

With a 7 inch screen, the offering from our Korean friends is certain to be dead on arrival.

Despite what Steve said a few weeks back, there are plenty of excellent use cases for a 7" tablet:

http://bbyopen.com/2010/11/maylong-a...than-you-think

post #37 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You almost got me there but just went a little OTT with the "because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device".

Still 600,000 is pretty impressive.

Well... She did.

Though the iPad is still a great around-the-house/by-the-pool gadget, and RAGE HD Rocks!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #38 of 314
Quote:

Why don't you stop all this relying on the (often biased) opinions of others, and do as I do and actually BUY these devices and experiences them first-hand.

Note: My Galaxy Tab's screen is every bit as 'responsive' as any of my iDevices, even my iPad.

I have read several reviews that seemed quite balanced and gave Galaxy good marks in many areas. It has an SD card slot, runs on multiple carriers and even has a phone feature in Europe (not US). It runs Flash, has a camera, Google maps is fantastic, etc. etc. Happy?

post #39 of 314
Quote:

As an owner of an Android-based device, I couldn't disagree more. And hell, I'm running Android on a device it was actually meant for, not a tablet. I'm amazed you're so blown away by what is essentially an upscaled phone interface.

I find Andoid's UI almost intolerable and can't imagine scaling up that crap alleviates the annoyance of dealing with it. Still, I find your insistence to the contrary to be amusing, especially since so many Android fans have been disparaging the iPad since its release as "a toy" and "not up to the standards set by netbooks" and whatever other apologist drivel has come out in the last 8+ months. I guess those argument disappear now that Android has a tablet, huh?

BTW, does Google plan to address the issue of platform fragmentation on tablets or will we get the same mess that has left me with a phone barely a year old that cannot be upgraded past Android 2.1? If not, all the "flexibility and customization" arguments are going to be pointless. Hard to call something flexible or customizable when you don't get to progress beyond whatever version of the OS was current at the time of your purchase.
post #40 of 314
To be more accurate, Samsung sold 600K to its (tens of) carriers. How many end users bought it or the number in their stock or supplier chain is still unknown. Anyway the 600K looks not that bad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K