or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K - Page 7

post #241 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomoo View Post

To be more accurate, Samsung sold 600K to its (tens of) carriers. How many end users bought it or the number in their stock or supplier chain is still unknown. Anyway the 600K looks not that bad.

Yeah, they probably just stuffed the channel with their initial production run and then announce big numbers.

Actual sales to end-users would be infinitely more comparable to the numbers that Apple announces, as the vast majority of stuff Apple produces, it sells directly to customers.
post #242 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

Just bc ms threw together a press conference doesn't mean anything except that smart people at two different companies came to the same conclusion.

Bingo... and it's not like this is just an Apple/Microsoft thing either. When you have a single solution that is better than other solutions, different groups of smart people will both independently reach the same conclusion. This happens all the time.

However, it's even more pronounced with technology because we keep hitting points where certain technologies become economically feasible, so suddenly something that wasn't used by anyone is being used by everyone... and to the untrained eye it looks like a lot of companies are just copying each other.

Where Apple have the advantage is that one, they sell premium products so their "economically feasible" point for a new technology is earlier than most other companies. Two, they control their products end to end (hardware and software) so it's easier to implement a product line with new technology and three, they have an incredible nimble structure that lets them move from concept to market very quickly.

Look at the new MacBook Air. It comes standard with an SSD (soldered into the board, but still essentially an SSD). In 12 months when SSD's are economically feasible for the mainstream I guarantee that Dell will offer SSD's as standard across the board.

Another example. Apple have announced a Mac "App Store" which we will see next year. Microsoft are also working on a Windows "App Store"... but we won't see it until Windows 8 (around 2012). However, and this is something I would put money on, there will be a lot of people saying "Microsoft copied the Mac App Store in Windows 8" when Windows 8 is released.

That's not to take away from the innovations Apple have made, and there are plenty of them.

People who look at every Apple invention and say "Apple might have done it first, but it was inevitable anyway" are at one end of the spectrum and those who say "Apple did it first, everyone else copied" are at the other. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.
post #243 of 314
I like to think that I'm moderately objective about Android's strengths and weaknesses, just as I am about Apple products. I generally have what some would perceive to be an Apple bias, though that's usually just because the products are better.

That said...

I think the Galaxy Tablet is garbage. Well, not garbage, but why anyone would buy this over an iPad is beyond me. I didn't find the user experience to be nearly as functional and elegant as the iPad's is. I felt like I was using a clunky OS, and generally I don't think Android is that bad. It just doesn't feel right on a larger screen and the touch elements simply aren't as natural as that of the iPad.

And after owning an iPad from day one, I'll tell you that I can't imagine using a 7" tablet. I felt like I was using an over-sized Evo 4G. Some people may like the smaller size, but I was honestly shocked by how dramatic of a difference there was. It just felt too small. If I'm going to go small, I want it to be small enough to fit in a jeans pocket. If I'm going tablet, I'm with Jobs on this one, give me that 10" screen. It's far better for reading, surfing the web, e-mail.

I'll definitely give the Galaxy an edge for video watching though as you can skip the black bars as it's 16:9. For video, that is nice in this day and age, but for a tablet that will function for more than just video, 4:3 really is a better aspect ratio. I also like that it will work with any carrier. Hopefully the iPad will work that out in version 2, which I will be buying day one once again.

600k units in the first month is a really respectable start for a product that's clearly launching in the shadow of the iPad, and perhaps more so, the entire Apple iOS line. I am shocked by these numbers to be honest, but good for them. We'll see how it sustains though, as I really believe that the iPad is objectively a far superior product in the majority of ways, and I expect iPad 2 to be even better.
post #244 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You didn't answer the question. Where in this thread did I defend Android or say it was better then iOS? Which was your big bitch. You couldn't answer the question so you just decided to respond with something stupid.

If you're dumb enough not to see my respond then I guess big bitch applies to you yourself. Your shitting out of your mouth so you just decided to respond with something fucked up.
post #245 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally, I don't care if they sold but one, as long as that one was to me, because I absolutely appreciate mine.

It would appear that you fail to appreciate that a 7 inch screen is insufficient to properly express tablet applications. This may become increasingly clear as usage is accumulated.
post #246 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

I have several videos encoded at 720p which my iPad displays fine.

Indeed the capabilities of the iPad include the ability to display video content encoded in 720p. The android contingent claims that because the iPad cannot display such content at 720p, it is therefore "not HD". But their semantic considerations cannot overcome the reality of 720p content being displayed by an iPad.
post #247 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

As an owner of an Android-based device, I couldn't disagree more. And hell, I'm running Android on a device it was actually meant for, not a tablet. I'm amazed you're so blown away by what is essentially an upscaled phone interface.

Which is exactly what my iPad's UI is... except the excessively wide placement of the icons on the iPad makes it look even less space efficient than on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Essentially, iOS works because it's as simplistic as humanly possible, and so familiar to many, though it's hardly ideal or flexible for the more demanding user.

At least Android allows for the use of live widgets, various home-screen apps, and user selectable icon spacing, and maybe your 'disagreement' stems from a lack of creativity/wherewithal to truly utilize its bountiful customization features/options.

Oh Well... More for the rest of us.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #248 of 314
Quote:

At least Android allows for the use of live widgets, various home-screen apps, and user selectable icon spacing, and maybe your 'disagreement' stems from a lack of creativity/wherewithal to truly utilize its bountiful customization features/options.

Isn't it long past time you tweaked your Android's UI, adjusted the power settings, maybe killed a few apps, swapped a battery, or rebooted? Google knows, how you have time to comment here. Seriously. Google also knows when you have time to comment here.
post #249 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Slow down a little...

Yes. Type s-l-o-w-e-r.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #250 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You almost got me there but just went a little OTT with the "because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device".

Still 600,000 is pretty impressive.

He almost had me until he said "the spouse". Never happen.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #251 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He almost had me until he said "the spouse". Never happen.

Probably for the best given that I Really Don't Want You (or your approval) -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #252 of 314
Quote:

Apple never comes to the table with new technology before others. Hell they just started to put quad core in their "desktop" iMacs. Lets talk about RAID. Lets talk about they charge twices as much for a GPU that has been around for a year.

SSD are offered by almost everyone.

New technology get real.

So you think Apple doesn't tend to mass deploy technology and ideas before other companies?

That's funny.
post #253 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Name them. I've seen reviews that singled out this or that feature or UI bit being noteworthy, without flatly declaring the thing "better."

for the interface, which was all I talked about.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...wdown?page=0,1

Quote:

The larger question, however, is that, given these awesome and clearly preferable user experience of these various devices, to what end do people such as DaHarder (or you, much of the time) waste your time posting here?

I have never declared that any other device or item had a clearly preferable user experience. OTOH, I do not take the view, that many here express, that simply because it is not Apple, the item under discussion is a priori worthless and a piece of crap. So, for example, I have consistently said that if one's needs do not exceed that of a High School student then iWork is great, and Office is overkill. OTOH, iWork has serious limitations for more professional work, particularly Numbers vs Excel. Thus, I never said that Office was clearly preferable, I said that it depended on one's needs.

Quote:

What kind of fucked up mental illness is it, exactly that drives the need to constantly refute "fan boys", instead of seeking out the company of people using the equipment you prefer and talking about that?

There is no drive to refute "fan boys" unless you consider correcting factually incorrect statements a "fucked up mental illness", although in this day and age where facts no longer exist or are at least irrelevant, and demagoguery is king, your statement makes a certain sense. So for example, I posted a response to a post that claimed the iPhones not running iOS 4.2 been discontinued for 2 years. This is not true, as the 3G has not been discontinued for 2 years, but actually less than a year.

I own only Apple equipment, and there is much to love about Apple, and much that is wrong with other equipment, without the need for blind, mindless Apple is perfect attitude, and the believe that any false statement about other companies (e.g., MS) is perfectly fine.
post #254 of 314
Quote:

No more so than there exsist a solution for the 'fragmentation' that exists for all those early iDevice owners that can't run many of the newer iOS apps.

Note: It works both ways.

you mean the first Iphone thats over three years old. Thats a big difference from buying a new phone and 3 months later a new update to the os comes out with new features and you can't update your $500 phone
post #255 of 314
No tablet can compare to the iPad launch, since the iPad was firstthe one that created the category. After that, anything else is following the trail of an already-accepted product type.

But the only sales number I care about is the one unit that goes to me
post #256 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

You have no clue. Are you friends with "Blackintosh" by any chance? Same person possibly? No life? You love your Android device so much yet you hang out on Apple forums? Searching for a Russian bride in between your posts? Hmmmm....

It is wonderful that those who enjoy Android can be unmercifully insulted here. This is an incredible forum!
post #257 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

1. - No it isn't.
2. - No it doesn't.
3 - then close it.

Seriously, you'll lose the multitasking debate... Don't even bother starting it.

In theory you might be right, but in practice, that simply isn't the case. So many applications are poorly written that, when combined with Android's multitasking, create serious issues in terms of performance, battery life and usability.

Remember when the Facebook app was overhauled to try to match the iOS version? There was a partial wake lock bug. My Droid dropped 30% battery between 8 am and lunch from just sitting on my desk.
post #258 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

No tablet can compare to the iPad launch, since the iPad was firstthe one that created the category. After that, anything else is following the trail of an already-accepted product type.

But the only sales number I care about is the one unit that goes to me

No tablet? Not even this one?

DYNAMIC...CUSTOMIZABLE...MODERN!!! That's all that matters, right?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #259 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No tablet? Not even this one?

DYNAMIC...CUSTOMIZABLE...MODERN!!! That's all that matters, right?

Sure... Whatever...

That 'thing' isn't remotely comparable to the Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad, as one must first have a solid hardware foundation on which to build, so even presenting it as such (even in jest) only shows just how much of an unlearned TROLL you truly are.

Enough Said!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #260 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Didn't take you long to sign up anew, did it?

IGenius/bunch of other I can't remember/Steve-j/Bill G/Pomme. One appearing with 24 hours of the previous identity being banned, always with a rapid post run-up in clusters in the morning and evening.

And always tending towards lame affirmations that he apparently thinks are artful parodies of fan boys. Honestly, this has been going on so long I think he's literally insane. I don't think that generally about trolls, but this guy is so persistent, and so one note, as to be vaguely horrifying.

Like a guy sitting at the end of the bar with a little fixed grin repeating everything he hears with a weird accent.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #261 of 314
Quote:

Sure... Whatever...

That 'thing' isn't remotely comparable to the Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad, as one must first have a solid hardware foundation on which to build, so even presenting it as such (even in jest) only shows just how much of an unlearned TROLL you truly are.

Enough Said!

I'm not the one with over a thousand troll posts, buddy

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #262 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm not the one with over a thousand troll posts, buddy

... and you certainly aren't the one who actually thinks for himself, posting according to actual experience with these devices, rather than regurgitating each/every lame taking point read on some fanatical internet forum.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #263 of 314
Quote:

Sure... Tell my iPad 64gb/Wifi+3g about that 'inferiority' theory - XD!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2404741_n.jpg

Note: (As previously stated) My iPad will serve me well around the house, but my Galaxy Tab's looking to be the superior mobile/on-the-go tablet device, which is why I buy tablets in the first place.

did you buy joojoo
post #264 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Well, the man does have a lot of pockets!

One for each slot that anyone has.
post #265 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You are somehow a genius in disguise
post #266 of 314
Quote:

If by 'everyone' you mean you and your lacking ability to comprehend written language, then Yes, 'everyone.'

Now do you have anything constructive/intelligent to add to the topic at hand, or is your mission solely to wage personal attacks?

Do you
post #267 of 314
Quote:

So what are you saying that Android users can last longer and iPad users have premature issues?

post #268 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

and a fair amount of the commentary comes from a collection of individuals that ironically are well-contained on my ignore list:
appl Archipellago AsianBob bartfat bettieblue blackbyrd Blackintosh Chopper chronster Coolaaron88 cycomiko DaHarder dasanman69 djmikeo erybovic extremeskater Foo2 FreeRange frugality g3pro geekdad gin_tonic grking jayhammy jeffreytgilbert Joe hs joindup knwbuddy kotatsu MenLoveToys mikemikeb Newtron nikon133 Pennywse Prof. Peabody RationalTroll Ricardo Dawkins RichL samab sapporobabyrtrns Scaramanga89 screamingfist SendMe Sensi SHOBIZ Steve-J Superbass Tallest Skil wizard69

When compacted ignoreds occupy as much space as the regular commenters, it's time to give this forum a rest. You reasonable and enthusiastic folks, keep up the good work - and try to leave some of these less reasonable folk simply echoing in the User CP hallways without response.

Briefly back on topic: It is a fact that Samsung reports solely into the channel not retails end purchaser sales. And while Apple did blend in the Best Buy channel supplies - they were only a small percentage of the total number sold to customers by Apple.

So now, I bid you all adieu, may your holidays be as pleasant as you wish them to be.

Quick question how to add multiple users to ignore list.
post #269 of 314
Quote:

We now have 3 each in my Household, and the best part is that they all have their own distinct GUI/Home Screen set-ups, making them very 'personalized' to their respective user's needs.

That's really part of the beauty of Android... That there's so much flexibility/and customization available, as opposed to being relegated to an endless barrage of poorly-spaced icons.

My Galaxy Tab has quickly become the first gadget I reach for when I head out the door (next to my Samsung Fascinate) - It's Near-Perfect - IMO.

That's awesome how yours is the first post and touting the joys of Samsung and Android. I propose to you, Sir, if you aren't getting paid for this, you really should. Really.
post #270 of 314
Quote:

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just too darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

Wow you are making your own Samsung advertising graphics now! Great font by the way, you are certainly suited for Windows/ Linux/ Android. So how much will you be selling your Apple devices on eBay? Enquiring minds want to know.
post #271 of 314
Quote:

One can also have icons all in one place on the Galaxy Tab (and they're always there in the app drawer anyway), but I prefer to have my information available at-a-glance via live-widgets, and my Galaxy Tab/Android affords that luxury.

Options are Nice...

Battery life is nice too.
post #272 of 314
Quote:

IGenius/bunch of other I can't remember/Steve-j/Bill G/Pomme. One appearing with 24 hours of the previous identity being banned, always with a rapid post run-up in clusters in the morning and evening.

And always tending towards lame affirmations that he apparently thinks are artful parodies of fan boys. Honestly, this has been going on so long I think he's literally insane. I don't think that generally about trolls, but this guy is so persistent, and so one note, as to be vaguely horrifying.

Like a guy sitting at the end of the bar with a little fixed grin repeating everything he hears with a weird accent.

It *is* truly horrifying, not just vaguely. Like, honestly, it is psychiatrically disturbing.

Anyways this thread got raped from the very first post so toodles people.
post #273 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow you are making your own Samsung advertising graphics now! Great font by the way, you are certainly suited for Windows/ Linux/ Android. So how much will you be selling your Apple devices on eBay? Enquiring minds want to know.

Not Linux it doesn't need such retards. He is meant for windows 95/98/me/Vista.
I think he is Son of Steve Ballmer
post #274 of 314
Quote:

I would think Apple fanboys would want porn more seeing more of them can't get girlfriends.

Oh man, this is not the topic I want to participate but pls do not resort to outright lie. This is not only opposite to my personal experience but also contrary to a recent survey. Shame on you.
post #275 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

Seriously, other than shirtless trailer park types
Who would buy this?

So, you're trying to say there is some truth in the rumour that all Mac users are arrogant snobs?
Ja sam probam
Ja sam probam
post #276 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Looks like he must be getting paid for providing all the tech support (changing home screen UI's) for Andriod hence Andriod pays him.
post #277 of 314
Quote:

Which is exactly what my iPad's UI is... except the excessively wide placement of the icons on the iPad makes it look even less space efficient than on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Essentially, iOS works because it's as simplistic as humanly possible, and so familiar to many, though it's hardly ideal or flexible for the more demanding user.

Android allows the use of a lot of things, which is why the UI looks like a mess. It's easy to slap things together (android), but much harder to keep things organized and cohesive (apple), but from a UI perspective, Apple's approach is better.
post #278 of 314
Quote:

Actually the iPad's UI is not the same as the iPhone. Apple made a few enhancements to allow the UI to take advantage of the screen real estate.

As for customization - like copy/paste, multitasking, video chatting, etc. When apple gets around to fixing notifications, and offering widgets, etc. they will do it better than everyone else.
post #279 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

this $99 Walgreens 7-inch Android Chinese knockoff that runs 1.6 is better than an Ipad also...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...0#comments-bar

the reviewer actually said to burn it..

Google whores its OS to any dirty knockoff company? it eFF-ing looks exactly like an iPad except for the WHITE home button.. see, see what they did there. It's a white home button editon iPad. The blatant copyin has me throwin up in my mouth a lil..

Thanks for the link and the link to the link of the photos of the many possible uses for it.
Seriously, good Android products will be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. Not so much now, but say in 6 or 12 months time. There will be hundreds and hundreds of these, from the el-cheapo $50 up to the $1,000 plus units. So how would one choose ? Sure a android nerd could easily, and most likely will be picturing rooting it while he rubs his hands over it with glee.
But what about the typical consumer, those that don't have that much to spend, they will be tricked into buying an inferior product.

You know what, I'm going to stay with my iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Macs.
We now have one iOS, which is common to most idevices, I know when I will get updates and will not have to beg the carrier/manufacturer for one.
I will officially hand over my iPad to my kids and let them fight over it while I gleefully play with iPad 2, until my wife/kids notice it and steal it too.

Pardon my spelling as its late here in Australia.

Apple rules and Androids drools
post #280 of 314
OK, to balance thing a bit from numerous DaHarder' posts, this is a quote posted in MacRumor forum:
I love all my Apple products, today for the fifth time going into Best Buy playing with the Galaxy Tab I decided to buy one to get more hands on feel knowing that I have 30 days to get a full return on it. To start I have the EVO phone and I love it for the Hot Spot for my iPad. Anyways I did return the Galaxy Tab already its no where smooth like the iPad, The iPad just feels so much better, the icons on the G-Tab where lagging and the web the script would have a buzz look while scrolling then it would get clear plus I felt like I had two phones so in the end that was my 3 hour tour of the Galaxy Tab, cant wait for generation 2 on the iPad.

The reason I post this is his experience is as same as mine (when I played with the Tab). The only difference is I don't have to buy it to know it's not for me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K