or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K - Page 8

post #281 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

you mean the first Iphone thats over three years old. Thats a big difference from buying a new phone and 3 months later a new update to the os comes out with new features and you can't update your $500 phone

The iPhone 3G was a currently selling model until 3 months ago. Many people own a 3 month old iPhone and are unable to update.
post #282 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao

Seriously, other than shirtless trailer park types
Who would buy this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolein View Post

So, you're trying to say there is some truth in the rumour that all Mac users are arrogant snobs?

No, but we do wear shirts.

Seriously, most people buying iPhones and iPads and Macs are not elitists. It can't be, there's just sooo many of them! It's just everybody jumping on the bandwagon.

Ironically, I postulate it could be the Android enthusiasts that are feeling more elite nowadays.
post #283 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

The iPhone 3G was a currently selling model until 3 months ago. Many people own a 3 month old iPhone and are unable to update.

Well, I must have inhaled something because I'm updating my iPhone 3G to 4.2.1 as we speak! OH NOES THE FRAGMENTATIONZ PLS HELPZZ
post #284 of 314
$250, WiFi (only but no contract), MicroSD, Flash, Android OS 2.1, screen is not as glossy as Tab or iPad. Although mostly an e-Reader, it has a browser and will soon have its own Apps with more plentiful properly-sized screen elements that fit in a 7-inch display while staying finger-zed.

The Galaxy Tab is faster and more responsive with Android OS 2.2 underneath, but we'll see how it goes when B&N updates the Nook Color. Even then the processor might be a bit faster.

Unless you need the larger screen elements for things like text entry, or your hands are too big for the HTC EVO, I suggest waiting until Google ships a tablet optimized version of Android OS.

I won't be upgrading my iPad until wireless download speeds are consistently over 3Mbps (WiMax or LTE) at which time I will use the larger battery to stay online a bit longer than I can with my Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G (2 hours of streaming video completely wireless).

In the mean time, I'll be enjoying AirPlay (iPhone to AppleTV to Samsung).
post #285 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It *is* truly horrifying, not just vaguely. Like, honestly, it is psychiatrically disturbing.

Anyways this thread got raped from the very first post so toodles people.

It is noteworthy that in multiple other Apple blogsites and fora, the posters predominately discuss Apple products, services and news, while in this particular forum, the idiosycracies of the participants are predominately the topic of conversation.
post #286 of 314
Quote:

It is noteworthy that in multiple other Apple blogsites and fora, the posters predominately discuss Apple products, services and news, while in this particular forum, the idiosycracies of the participants are predominately the topic of conversation.

Indeed. In fact, you thrive on it.
post #287 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

Android allows the use of a lot of things, which is why the UI looks like a mess. It's easy to slap things together (android), but much harder to keep things organized and cohesive (apple), but from a UI perspective, Apple's approach is better.

What the Android fanboys fail to appreciate is that Apple's genius is not what they include in products, but rather, what they exclude.

Apple is obviously capable of creating a home screen that is capable of being messed up like Android into a complete and total mess that nobody in their right minds would want to deal with, like Android.

But Apple has Good Taste. That is why all the icons are arranged into neat columns and rows, all of them right there in front of you on your desktop/homescreen. And if it is not there, just flick to a new screen and look there. If it is not on the second page, then you need not scratch your head, wondering where and how your marvelous messy OS has hidden the icon.

No: you simply flick another page, scan the 16 icons, and keep looking. You'll find it eventually.

Unlike Android, where you can hide things in places where they will never again see the light of day. It is too confusing. Normal people just want rows and columns so they can search one at a time and not get confused.

I like having every single icon on my desktop in the order they were added to the device. It is the simple way to organize. And it shows Good Taste.
post #288 of 314
Quote:

What the Android fanboys fail to appreciate is that Apple's genius is not what they include in products, but rather, what they exclude.

Apple is obviously capable of creating a home screen that is capable of being messed up like Android into a complete and total mess that nobody in their right minds would want to deal with, like Android.

But Apple has Good Taste. That is why all the icons are arranged into neat columns and rows, all of them right there in front of you on your desktop/homescreen. And if it is not there, just flick to a new screen and look there. If it is not on the second page, then you need not scratch your head, wondering where and how your marvelous messy OS has hidden the icon.

No: you simply flick another page, scan the 16 icons, and keep looking. You'll find it eventually.

Unlike Android, where you can hide things in places where they will never again see the light of day. It is too confusing. Normal people just want rows and columns so they can search one at a time and not get confused.

I like having every single icon on my desktop in the order they were added to the device. It is the simple way to organize. And it shows Good Taste.

Keep it coming mate, please don't stop.
post #289 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

As for customization - like copy/paste, multitasking, video chatting, etc. When apple gets around to fixing notifications, and offering widgets, etc. they will do it better than everyone else.

It is undisputed that Apple does not release half-baked products. Accordingly, the notification system does NOT need to be fixed. It works very, very well just as it is. If it did not work very, very well, it would form no part of any iOS device.

Apple considered adding widgets, and rejected the idea. Apple will NOT compromise on battery life. If you want a dead phone in your pocket with lots of dead widgets, get an Android! You pull one of them bad boys out of your pocket to try to make your smarter friends sorry they got an iPhone4, and what do you have to show them? A dead blank screen because those widgets killed your battery?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All you AndroidFanBoys crack me up! Dead phones in your pockets starting at around 10 AM! Yeah, that's "open". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
post #290 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Seriously, good Android products will be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. Not so much now, but say in 6 or 12 months time. There will be hundreds and hundreds of these, from the el-cheapo $50 up to the $1,000 plus units. So how would one choose ?

It is not possible to choose unless one makes a life's work of it.

That is the current situation with television sets. There are hundreds of choices, so it is impossible to make a good choice, unless one is to make a life's work of it.

That is why I hope Steve gives us a television set that we can actually buy. One model, maybe with different amounts of RAM, like the iPhone. That way it is so easy to make the very best decision.

Even better is if whenever you turn it on, it is instantly connected to the iTunes Store so that getting content is easy.
post #291 of 314
Quote:

Your absolute ignorance is (yet again) showing in that (much like iOS) ALL installed Android apps are always readily available via the app drawer tab, which remains a constant (and discrete) UI element regardless on which page one may be.

I Reiterate... All Apps (arranged alphabetically in rows and columns, in fact - Much more logical/organized than iOS) Are Always Available Via A Single Click of the Android App Drawer Tab, leaving all homescreens to appear/function as the users sees fit, which includes the use of live widgets, calendars, live wall paper, etc.

So Now You Know... Think Different.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #292 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Me View Post

$250, WiFi (only but no contract), MicroSD, Flash, Android OS 2.1, screen is not as glossy as Tab or iPad. Although mostly an e-Reader, it has a browser and will soon have its own Apps with more plentiful properly-sized screen elements that fit in a 7-inch display while staying finger-zed.

The Galaxy Tab is faster and more responsive with Android OS 2.2 underneath, but we'll see how it goes when B&N updates the Nook Color. Even then the processor might be a bit faster.

Unless you need the larger screen elements for things like text entry, or your hands are too big for the HTC EVO, I suggest waiting until Google ships a tablet optimized version of Android OS.

I won't be upgrading my iPad until wireless download speeds are consistently over 3Mbps (WiMax or LTE) at which time I will use the larger battery to stay online a bit longer than I can with my Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G (2 hours of streaming video completely wireless).

In the mean time, I'll be enjoying AirPlay (iPhone to AppleTV to Samsung).

Things to like about Android:
The option to burn battery life running Flash 10.1 (I might be plugged in)
Glance-able data on the lock screen (always wanted current weather and some notifications without jail-breaking)
Pinch to expose all home screens (after 3 pages swiping gets old [although folders dropped me down to two home screens])
SD with external slot (OK this is even messed up on Android since most use MicroSD) sneaker net is still good for large documents and video files from laptops and cameras
Better access to the filesystem (as opposed to no access) sharing and synching of files as well as both program and files states on the iPad could be much better

Things to like about iPad:
More apps optimized for larger screen (plus universal apps)
Amazing battery life which makes it more mobile than 7-inch form factor despite its larger size
Lots of 3rd-party accessories available
More room for 10 points of interaction when placed on supporting surface
Airplay to HDTV (Although I think the iPad should be an actual Airplay device itself [why no DLNA?])
Veggie Samurai with 8 fingers!
post #293 of 314
Quote:

Amazing battery life which makes it more mobile than 7-inch form factor despite its larger size

It is certainly interesting that the Korean product is touted as "more mobile". But you have given the lie to that particular bit of fiction!

The larger size has NOTHING to do with whether or not the iPad is more mobile than the Galaxy Tab. The iPad is more mobile, despite its size and weight being much greater than the Galaxy Tab. Size and weight have exactly ZERO relevance when determining which product is more mobile.

Battery life is the ONLY determinant of which product is more mobile. But those AndroisFanBoys love to twist the meanings of word.

The Galaxy Tab is LESS MOBILE than the iPad, despite its screen not being big enough to make it a viable device.
post #294 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Your absolute ignorance is (yet again) showing in that (much like iOS) ALL installed Android apps are always readily available via the app drawer tab, which remains a constant (and discrete) UI element regardless on which page one may be.

I Reiterate... All Apps (arranged alphabetically in rows and columns, in fact - Much more logical/organized than iOS) Are Always Available Via A Single Click of the Android App Drawer Tab, leaving all homescreens to appear/function as the users sees fit, which includes the use of live widgets, calendars, live wall paper, etc.

Hi Da!

I like the availability of the app drawer, but don't like all the scrolling when you have gathered a large number of apps. Love the cool things android does with customization of the interface, but would rather they focus on useful things like what they did with Adobe Flash, and WiFi hotspots.

What I like about the iPad is that many of the cool things are actually useful as well.
post #295 of 314
This is amazing. SendMe/ Newtron/ Steve-J/ Bill-G/ Pomme has gone completely off the deep end, like further than we ever imagined, and DaHarder actually thinks Pomme is being serious! This is some real vintage stuff here.
post #296 of 314
Quote:

Hi Da!

I like the availability of the app drawer, but don't like all the scrolling when you have gathered a large number of apps. Love the cool things android does with customization of the interface, but would rather they focus on useful things like what they did with Adobe Flash, and WiFi hotspots.

What I like about the iPad is that many of the cool things are actually useful as well.

I know what you mean about the app drawer. Normally it's just sorted alphabetically, and after acquiring SO many of them, it can feel overwhelming.

Launchers in Android allow for folders just like iphone does, and you can literally make each screen look like an iphone launch screen if you just want your apps presented that way.
post #297 of 314
Quote:

This is amazing. SendMe/ Newtron/ Steve-J/ Bill-G/ Pomme has gone completely off the deep end, like further than we ever imagined, and DaHarder actually thinks Pomme is being serious! This is some real vintage stuff here.

I know. We're drifting into some kind of freaky meta-troll world where half the posts are trolls belittling trolls for imitating fan boys pretending to be trolls......

I guess that's the point, sort of a noise machine where it becomes almost impossible to have a normal conversation.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #298 of 314
Quote:

Honestly, and in all sincerity, seek help.
post #299 of 314
Quote:

It is certainly interesting that the Korean product is touted as "more mobile". But you have given the lie to that particular bit of fiction!

The larger size has NOTHING to do with whether or not the iPad is more mobile than the Galaxy Tab. The iPad is more mobile, despite its size and weight being much greater than the Galaxy Tab. Size and weight have exactly ZERO relevance when determining which product is more mobile.

Battery life is the ONLY determinant of which product is more mobile. But those AndroisFanBoys love to twist the meanings of word.

The Galaxy Tab is LESS MOBILE than the iPad, despite its screen not being big enough to make it a viable device.

I can give you a laptop hooked up to a generator with 50 gallons of fuel. Should have enough battery life for more than a month. Does that make it the most mobile?

Battery life isn't the only determinant. Battery life should be adequate for whatever you're doing. In a tablet, it should be able to last all day with everyday use.
post #300 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Alphabetically organized isn't better IMO. Might seem like a good idea on paper, but it's not in practice.

My wife has a Droid X, let me show you a scenario where alphabetically isn't the best.

1. See App that I like online somewhere
2. Go to Market from home screen
3. Find App, download
4. Open App Drawer
5. Scroll all the way down to find newly downloaded app (not there)
6. Look at notification bar to remember the exact name
7. Find the app, use it, exit, clear notification bar.
8. 2 hours later, try finding app again.
9. No success, have to manually search from top to bottom...

I like how Samsung does it in the Fascinate where it's very similar to the iOS.

PS: Let's not forget that all apps get rearranged whenever you download an app.
post #301 of 314
I don't quite get it. Why not just do a search for apps using the google toolbar widget, or simply put the application on one of your desktops. I guess that with Android you have a choice, you can put the app on your desktop or keep it in the app drawer.

It's been awhile since I used a device with IOS. But if I recall apps are aranged by where you place them. How exactly does one find an app if you don't remember what screen you left it on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

Alphabetically organized isn't better IMO. Might seem like a good idea on paper, but it's not in practice.

My wife has a Droid X, let me show you a scenario where alphabetically isn't the best.

1. See App that I like online somewhere
2. Go to Market from home screen
3. Find App, download
4. Open App Drawer
5. Scroll all the way down to find newly downloaded app (not there)
6. Look at notification bar to remember the exact name
7. Find the app, use it, exit, clear notification bar.
8. 2 hours later, try finding app again.
9. No success, have to manually search from top to bottom...

I like how Samsung does it in the Fascinate where it's very similar to the iOS.

PS: Let's not forget that all apps get rearranged whenever you download an app.
post #302 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

I don't quite get it. Why not just do a search for apps using the google toolbar widget, or simply put the application on one of your desktops. I guess that with Android you have a choice, you can put the app on your desktop or keep it in the app drawer.

It's been awhile since I used a device with IOS. But if I recall apps are aranged by where you place them. How exactly does one find an app if you don't remember what screen you left it on?

Actually you do it one of two ways:

You place move the new app from the rightmost home screen where it downloads to and then put it in a folder with similar apps so you can find it again easily.

You download the app and don't care where it lands and search for it by name in the search page to the left of the first home screen.

I usually leave the most used apps on the first home screen and then fill a second home screen with folders by category or function. I place Settings, Mail, iPod, Safari, iBooks, and iCab on the dock
post #303 of 314
Thanks for the reminder. I now recall this is exactly how I did it. Except for the folder part. IOS didn't have folders when I used it.

Quote:

Actually you do it one of two ways:

You place move the new app from the rightmost home screen where it downloads to and then put it in a folder with similar apps so you can find it again easily.

You download the app and don't care where it lands and search for it by name in the search page to the left of the first home screen.

I usually leave the most used apps on the first home screen and then fill a second home screen with folders by category or function. I place Settings, Mail, iPod, Safari, iBooks, and iCab on the dock
post #304 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

Even better - On the Android, use Google Gesture Search. I use Bar Control and it's added permanently on the notification Bar. I can now find a contact/app/bookmark/music/setting with a quick flick of the notification drawer from any screen of any app and swiping a character or two. One of the many reasons why I find Android's User Experience superior to iOS.
post #305 of 314
Quote:

It *is* truly horrifying, not just vaguely. Like, honestly, it is psychiatrically disturbing.

Anyways this thread got raped from the very first post so toodles people.

Banned now (again) just after I reported him. I think the mods are on to him but don't necessarily delve into the threads enough to see his pattern; they banned Steve-j and Bill G shortly after being reported as well.

Take away-- don't engage, report. He'll be back within 24 hours, I'd warrant, but it will be obvious that it's him.
post #306 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Even better - On the Android, use Google Gesture Search. I use Bar Control and it's added permanently on the notification Bar. I can now find a contact/app/bookmark/music/setting with a quick flick of the notification drawer from any screen of any app and swiping a character or two. One of the many reasons why I find Android's User Experience superior to iOS.

Yes that is helpful too. Normally I can get to any of my iOS apps in 3 or 5 steps from sleep:

1. Home button
2. Swipe to unlock
3. Open one of 25 most frequently used app [done] with a single tap or Swipe left to second home screen or swipe right to search
4. Open folder or tap search result
5. Tap to open least frequently used app

or on Android

1. Home
2. Unlock
3. Launch most frequent app or pinch to display all home pages or search or scroll applications list and select.
4. Gesture or enter text
5. Select search result
post #307 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

IGenius/bunch of other I can't remember/Steve-j/Bill G/Pomme. One appearing with 24 hours of the previous identity being banned, always with a rapid post run-up in clusters in the morning and evening.

And always tending towards lame affirmations that he apparently thinks are artful parodies of fan boys. Honestly, this has been going on so long I think he's literally insane. I don't think that generally about trolls, but this guy is so persistent, and so one note, as to be vaguely horrifying.

Yeah, I just had to read one post to know who it was.

Perhaps he's made a bot to do all his work for him? I couldn't imagine wasting so much of my time with that rubbish.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #308 of 314
Quote:

It's hilarious. And iGenius/Steve-J/Bill-G/Pomme's monotone is almost hypnotic. There are one or more disorders at play here.
post #309 of 314
Samsung will sell millions of its devices globally as it has the sales network in place and the device runs on Android. Battery life will be an issue, but it will be overlooked. Sales will improve once Android 3.0 is released. Right now the devices runs Android 2.2 which Google doesn't recommend for tablets.

Apple's global sales network sucks. While Apple's iPad will continue to thrive in the markets where it has a lead, I doubt if the volume will pick up significantly.

/crib session on
As a note, iPhone 4G and iPad are not officially on sale by Apple in India yet. They are still being sold as imported units by retailers with a fat 40% margin. So that satisfies the Apple fans. Samsung Galaxy Tablet is available officially and supported by Samsung, so people who want a tablet and don't care about the iPad are happy to buy it. Who is the loser?
/crib session off
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #310 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not me. I love my iPad. And so do millions of other people. We got nothing to prove. And that's good enough for me.

i'm with you... i love enjoying my ipad more (since 4.2 is out i'm loving it more)... i don't have time to go to android sites just to show them that iOS is better.
atleast iOS is better for me. just waiting for AirPrint to support network printers which are connected in my office through time capsule.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #311 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

... and the iPad 2 freeze-the-market wait begins. ...

I think you're absolutely right on this, and then you have all the people who are actually waiting for #2.
post #312 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolein View Post

So, you're trying to say there is some truth in the rumour that all Mac users are arrogant snobs?

No, just that Mac buyers have jobs, work and can decide the platforms they choose. I don't know much about android, but "free" just spells problems from what I've learned in life...
post #313 of 314
They sold 600,000 !!!??? I never realized so many iPad developers were that curious to see how much it sucks.
post #314 of 314
600k worldwide. Hmmm, wasn't iPad only available in the US for most of the first month? That's not a bad start for Samsung, but I wonder if it will hold. Just too expensive and I don't want another data plan.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K