or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K - Page 2

post #41 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

All of the Android apps run. And the majority of the apps run full screen size. There is about 10% of those apps that run in the middle. However, with there is an app that fixes all of that too.

One click in Spare Parts and a reboot, and all 224 apps I have installed run beautifully at full screen with no pixelation to be seen (love that nice/tight pixel density).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #42 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I would very much like to see Apple take advantage of its economies of scale and have a sale price for the iPad for the holiday season ($100+ off) making it THE holiday gift this year (as long as they've built enough). Make it go all Tickle-me-elmo crazy but with enough supply.

Also it would help them push out the rest of this generation in time for the new generation next quarter. Plus it'll help avoid all of the complainers that say "hey! i just bought 1st gen two weeks ago at the same price! WTF!"

Supply is the key issue, as you've already identified. Apple is already selling every device they produce without a price cut, so I can't imagine there's need to stoke demand for this season. Apple's new product releases follow a well-worn pattern nowadays, and price cuts generally aren't part of the bargain.

As far as the Galaxy Tab numbers, I'm impressed. It's a good start, but let's see Samsung's momentum moving forward.
post #43 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

One click in Spare Parts and a reboot, and all 224 apps I have installed run beautifully at full screen with no pixelation to be seen (love that nice/tight pixel density).

Is there an app for platform fragmentation?
post #44 of 314
Quote:

All of the Android apps run. And the majority of the apps run full screen size. There is about 10% of those apps that run in the middle. However, with there is an app that fixes all of that too.

ALL meaning ALL right? Well I made that comment based on Googles' announcement:

"Barra said, "If you want Android market on that platform, the apps just wouldn't run, [Froyo] is just not designed for that form factor."

Maybe he was wrong.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #45 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Is there an app for platform fragmentation?

No more so than there exsist a solution for the 'fragmentation' that exists for all those early iDevice owners that can't run many of the newer iOS apps.

Note: It works both ways.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #46 of 314
Quote:

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just too darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

I respect your comment but you're just trolling.
Evey time a new piece of tech pops on the scene folks like you switch to fit the latest trend.
post #47 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomoo View Post

To be more accurate, Samsung sold 600K to its (tens of) carriers. How many end users bought it or the number in their stock or supplier chain is still unknown. Anyway the 600K looks not that bad.

There has been significant pent up demand for any non-iPad tablet (preferably Android) that doesn't outright suck. The tab doesn't outright suck...it's just a little pricey.
post #48 of 314
Quote:

Any claims I've ever made have all been 100% factual, and proven on numerous occasions, so take your Hate/Vitriol/Lies Elsewhere...

EDIT: BTW... I Challenge You To Prove Any of Your Lies.

I'm not "hating" and I didn't accuse you of lying, I only said you "stretched the truth" as in serial exaggerator/confabulator. I have several RL friends with the same problem, it doesn't mean they are mean or bad, just that they have a less than firm grasp on reality and facts and tend to be overly emotional or defensive.

In the post that you so nastily responded to above, I actually defended you (the bad grammar part). I also tend to agree with your proposition that the Galaxy Tab has a better form factor than the iPad.

Unfortunately, most of the other stuff you said about the Tab on this thread falls into the confabulation/exaggeration camp. It seems like the thread has turned into another one of those "DaHarder against the universe" things, so I'm bowing out now.

No one can really learn or contribute anything when the discussion devolves to your level, and I don't like to waste time reading all your rants and angry opinions and I have had enough stress already today.
post #49 of 314
Quote:

No more so than there exsist a solution for the 'fragmentation' that exists for all those early iDevice owners that can't run many of the newer iOS apps.

Two devices, both of which have been discontinued over 2 years ago, don't even come close to dozens of devices that came out in the past couple months that will never get 2.3, some even have 2.1 or earlier. iOS might be fragmented too, but you're comparing a 2000-piece puzzle to 10 pieces.
post #50 of 314
Lol - three boat anchors.
post #51 of 314
What I like most about your Android-Tab screed is your acknowledgment of Apple's magnificent pioneering of this kind of consumer-based device. (What, no?) I mean, also-rans, Johnny-Come-Lately's, and Insincere Wanna-Be's always have the advantage of standing on the shoulders of their forebears, and making small, inconsequential improvements to hard ground broken by others.

Yeah, thanks for reminding us of Samsung's lack of true innovation and risk-taking here. I, for one, appreciate your candor and humility in your comparisons. You have truly warmed my heart.
post #52 of 314
I have never seen the word "MODERN" actually typeset in Copperplate bold, in all CAPS. You sure know modern when you see it! Apologies to Linotype.

post #53 of 314
In this case, I think they mean that 600,000 are in the channel, not all in end-users hands yet. Big difference but a common way to skew your numbers to the upside, and raise some eyebrows, they hope, along the way.

That said, its certainly a big number out if the gate and they have a good chance of selling through all those units in the holiday season.
post #54 of 314
Quote:

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just too darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

What's 'all app' multitasking? My iPad - with iOS 4.2 - multitasks just fine.

Samsung may have an easier form factor for holding with one hand - but iPad has superior usability and superior battery life.
post #55 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not "hating" and I didn't accuse you of lying, I only said you "stretched the truth" as in serial exaggerator/confabulator. I have several RL friends with the same problem, it doesn't mean they are mean or bad, just that they have a less than firm grasp on reality and facts and tend to be overly emotional or defensive.

In the post that you so nastily responded to above, I actually defended you (the bad grammar part). I also tend to agree with your proposition that the Galaxy Tab has a better form factor than the iPad.

Unfortunately, most of the other stuff you said about the Tab on this thread falls into the confabulation/exaggeration camp. It seems like the thread has turned into another one of those "DaHarder against the universe" things, so I'm bowing out now.

No one can really learn or contribute anything when the discussion devolves to your level, and I don't like to waste time reading all your rants and angry opinions and I have had enough stress already today.

Sure You Were...

Anyway, regarding your claims of my allegedly questionable 'grammar', 3 Each means 3 of Each Individual Item, as often used in military vernacular, so maybe it's you who has the writing/reading comprehension issue.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #56 of 314
Did someone REALLY say the iPad was too ungainly to be carried around? Are you the same one that says "Faster!" to your microwave? All of these devices are excellent portable device. Anyone who says otherwise is too young to be on this forum. Just look at where we've come from and quit whining. Frankly, the Galaxy tab is still to big to comfortably fit in a pocket, unless your pocket are abnormally large. So if I have to carry something, it's an iPad.... or maybe my new MacBook Air. The iPhone fits nicely in my pocket.
post #57 of 314
Quote:

Any claims I've ever made have all been 100% factual, and proven on numerous occasions, so take your Hate/Vitriol/Lies Elsewhere...

EDIT: BTW... I Challenge You To Prove Any of Your Lies.

You didn't state facts outside of hardware specs and multi-tasking. The rest is conjecture and opinion.

The Ergonomics of the iPad rocks and the Samsung blows chunks. Everything I've stated is factual.

See how easy that is to do?

The iPad battery works for several days. What's your point?
post #58 of 314
Please stop talking about Human Factors/Ergonomics.

As a Mechanical Engineer who also decided to add Ergonomics electives to my degrees the entire "science" behind it borrows 99% from Kinematics [minus the actual Kinematics calculated as it's punted to us Engineers] and 1% Psychology BS.
post #59 of 314
Quote:

You have the option to arrange it to whatever you feel like it (messy, clean, static, dynamic, hot color, dark color)

You DONT have that option AT ALL in iOS.

The iPad your friend has is almost the same as yours, sans background display.

And so the pissing contest continues.....

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung

post #60 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

What's 'all app' multitasking? My iPad - with iOS 4.2 - multitasks just fine.

Samsung may have an easier form factor for holding with one hand - but iPad has superior usability and superior battery life.

All-App Multi-Tasking means just that - The OS allows any/all apps (including 3rd party) to multi-task just as the native apps do.

My iDevices only allow Apple's native apps, and some select 3rd party ones, to run in the background... All others are simply suspended.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #61 of 314
Quote:

Your precious Samsung Fascinate is about to be TWO generations of software behind, and that phone just came out a couple months ago. The original iPhone is the only model not on current software, it is only ONE generation behind, and it is three years old! Most (not all) features missing from the older devices are hardware related, as well, not carrier- and manufacturer-incompetence related, like almost every Android phone out there right now.
post #62 of 314
Quote:

All-App Multi-Tasking means just that - The OS allows any/all apps (including 3rd party) to multi-task just as the native apps do.

My iDevices only allow Apple's native apps, and some select 3rd party ones, to run in the background... All others are simply suspended.

Wrong again. It's not relegated to select 3rd party apps, it's relegated to any and all apps whose developers are not lazy enough to omit it. Don't blame Apple or the software, blame the developers. I'd rather have multitasking specifically coded for with optimized API's than "true" multitasking that makes my wife's Droid Eris die in 6 hours without a task killer.
post #63 of 314
How many iPad users here on AI feel an overhwleming desire to join Android rumor sites and post continually to extoll the superiority of your iPad over Android devices?

Any ideas why posters like DaHarder do it? It sure sounds like an inferiority complex to me. I mean. come on, over a thousand posts in just over a year, all negative, derisive. and demeaning to all things Apple. And why do the moderators allow this to go on and on, day after day when the intent is obvious?
post #64 of 314
Quote:

Of course they are suspended. Why would something like a game continue to play when no one can see it?

post #65 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Two devices, both of which have been discontinued over 2 years ago, don't even come close to dozens of devices that came out in the past couple months that will never get 2.3, some even have 2.1 or earlier. iOS might be fragmented too, but you're comparing a 2000-piece puzzle to 10 pieces.

Ah, you are off a bit. The iPhone 3G was discontinued in June 2010, with the eventual release of the iPhone 4. Then the 3GS was the discounted $99 version.

So, the 3G (which I own), does not run all of the new apps, nor does it get all of the benefits of iOS 4, but Apple was selling them less than a year ago. So your statement of 2 items discontinued 2 years ago is wrong.
post #66 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

How many iPad users here on AI feel an overhwleming desire to join Android rumor sites and post continually to extoll the superiority of your iPad over Android devices?

Any ideas why posters like DaHarder do it? It sure sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

Agreed. Plus, he's always talking about his wife and kids, yet is posting on these forums every single day. I enjoy message boards as much as the next guy, but I know not to let it consume me and take time away from my wife. To each their own, though, I guess.
post #67 of 314
Quote:

Any ideas why posters like DaHarder do it? It sure sounds like an inferiority complex to me. I mean. come on, over a thousand posts in just over a year, all negative, derisive. and demeaning to all things Apple. And why do the moderators allow this to go on and on, day after day when the intent is obvious?

Sure... Tell my iPad 64gb/Wifi+3g about that 'inferiority' theory - XD!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2404741_n.jpg

Note: (As previously stated) My iPad will serve me well around the house, but my Galaxy Tab's looking to be the superior mobile/on-the-go tablet device, which is why I buy tablets in the first place.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #68 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by briavael View Post

Supply is the key issue, as you've already identified. Apple is already selling every device they produce without a price cut, so I can't imagine there's need to stoke demand for this season. Apple's new product releases follow a well-worn pattern nowadays, and price cuts generally aren't part of the bargain.

As far as the Galaxy Tab numbers, I'm impressed. It's a good start, but let's see Samsung's momentum moving forward.

Well, I've seen the iPad in stock at several stores now, so they aren't immediately selling every single one they make, but supply is likely just meeting demand right now it seems.

I think what I'm trying to really say is that if Apple really does have the ability to cut prices, I would like to see them do it now to squeeze out any fighting chance the competition has. Competitors only have a shot now because they are using smaller screens to reach similar price points. If they cut the price so most full featured 7" Android tablets or playbook were more expensive, would Samsung be anywhere close to 600k?

I'm all for competition in the market place, but right now as a Apple shareholder, I want to see them own this market like they did the iPod for decades ahead =)
post #69 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

That's a lot more than I expected. Someone's making it interesting. Of course, the iPad got iOS 4.2 today and will get a hardware rev in a few months, so Apple isn't exactly sitting still.

Considering the usability issues, it isn't a bad start. You have to put this in perspective though. This is an international rollout. Apple rolled out internationally over many months because of demand. Samsung probably has similar manufacturing capability, so they didn't sell out. If there was untapped demand, I think they would have sold more units. Sales will probably drop off now that initial demand has been satisfied. There may be an uptick in sales after a real tablet version of Android is released. It will be interesting to see how this goes though. You get a lot more value for your money with the iPad. A tablet needs a rich app ecosystem. If they can't make a tablet significantly cheaper then the iPad I don't see why the majority would by it over an iPad. They would need to be purely interested in web browsing. I guess RIM is trying to play that angle... I just don't see it working. After all the Blackberry and Android fans are satisfied, I don't really see these getting mass appeal like the Android phone. The Android phone is an easier sell because people who are less interested in apps buy it as a decent phone. I can see Android and Blackberry essentially competing in the space for users who don't care about apps.

I think that Android (both phone and tablet) has the best chance to be on par with App selection on iOS devices, but I'm not sure if the quality will ever be the same as iOS. There is just a significant push to have b2c apps on the Android platform. Java developers will probably disagree with me because they don't like to learn Objective-C, but it is a much bigger pain to develop for Android. Despite being able to "tweak" the operating system more, the Android SDK is much more primitive then iOS. People may complain about openness, but you can do a lot (and by a lot I mean an order of magnitude) more on Apple's SDK then on the Android SDK. To further develop the Android SDK, Google needs to figure out how to subsidize it. Apple has a whole suite of devices that use the SDK and support its development. Apple isn't sitting still and each operating release (four major releases vs Androids two) they add more features for developers then the entirety of the Android SDK. This isn't bloat if that is what you are thinking. Most of the features are in optional frameworks and should reduce bloat in third party apps. Due to the way that iOS optimizes linking, there is no dynamic linking overhead to use these frameworks. That improves application startup time significantly which is important for a mobile device.
post #70 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomoo View Post

To be more accurate, Samsung sold 600K to its (tens of) carriers.

Where do you see that?
post #71 of 314
Quote:

Any ideas why posters like DaHarder do it? It sure sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

It makes them feel better about their buying decision.
post #72 of 314
Quote:

He generally behaves and doesn't personally attack other users or call them names, he generally stays on topic and does not use foul language in any post I have read. He does like Apple enough to buy their stuff as well as competitors. He does not seem to be married to any particular brand. You can't just kick someone off for having contrary opinion.

post #73 of 314
Quote:

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor..., gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

As someone who has written a few press releases in my day, I see a familiar, old style....
post #74 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

As someone who has written a few press releases in my day, I see a familiar, old style....

What... Attributes based 100% on my actually owning the device in question?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #75 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He generally behaves and doesn't personally attack other users or call them names, he generally stays on topic and does not use foul language in any post I have read. He does like Apple enough to buy their stuff as well as competitors. He does not seem to be married to any particular brand. You can't just kick someone off for having contrary opinion.

Absolutely untrue. DaHarder consistently and only declares that he owns Apple equipment so that he can claim creditability when he explains why that equipment is inferior, each and every time, to whatever else has just come on the market.

The Pre blew away the iPhone, the Zune blew away the iPod, Android blows away iOS, the Galaxy Tab blows away the iPad. Notice a pattern?

The "just a tech enthusiast with an open mind" stance is the merest veneer of affectation over an unrelenting agenda to trash whatever Apple has on the market. My impression is that he gets off on taunting Apple users because he flatters himself that he's above all that and posting here is a way for him to flaunt his imagined breadth of experience. Call it what you will, it's at least mildly fucked up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #76 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think you summed DaHarder up pretty well. I think a lot of people here are bothered by him, or see him as negative, because he is NOT all Apple all the time and is willing to buy non-Apple products, and he is willing to defend non-Apple products as worth buying.
post #77 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Absolutely untrue. DaHarder consistently and only declares that he owns Apple equipment so that he can claim creditability when he explains why that equipment is inferior, each and every time, to whatever else has just come on the market.

The Pre blew away the iPhone, the Zune blew away the iPod, Android blows away iOS, the Galaxy Tab blows away the iPad. Notice a pattern?

The "just a tech enthusiast with an open mind" stance is the merest veneer of affectation over an unrelenting agenda to trash whatever Apple has on the market. My impression is that he gets off on taunting Apple users because he imagines that he's above all that. Call it what you will, it's at least mildly fucked up.

This may be news to many here, but quite a few reviewers said that the Palm OS was better than iOS at the time, and many reviewers have also said the Zune software interface is better than the iTunes interface.
post #78 of 314
Vote with your wallet. Both platforms offer something for their respective buyers.
post #79 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Call it what you will, it's at least mildly fucked up.

As far as I know, being all that, is still not a violation of the forum policies.

post #80 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Vote with your wallet. Both platforms offer something for their respective buyers.

Absolutely!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K