or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Orange UK subsidizing iPad, iPhone 4 Torx screws, Apple Store robbed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Orange UK subsidizing iPad, iPhone 4 Torx screws, Apple Store robbed

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Wireless operator Orange UK announced that it will soon offer a discounted iPad with a data service plan, while reports indicate that Apple has begun changing the screws on the iPhone 4 to the less user-accessible Torx screw. Finally, burglars broke into an Apple Store in Pittsburgh, Penn., making off with over $10,000 in merchandise.

Orange UK

In a press release issued Monday, Orange UK revealed that it will offer new purchase options for the iPad, including "more affordable prices" on iPad 3G models when purchased with a data service plan. The options will be available in "the coming months," although the company did not give specific details on pricing.

Currently, Orange UK offers monthly 3G plans for the iPad: 3GB of data and unlimited browsing at Wi-Fi hotspots for £15 ($23.92), or 10GB of data and unlimited Wi-Fi hotspot access for £25 ($39.86).

iPhone 4

According to various reports, iPhone 4s are now shipping with 5-point torx screws, making the device harder for users to take apart. Units brought to Apple Stores for service are also being retro-fitted with the new screws. Previously, the screws at the base of the phone were crosshead screws.

The changes may have been instigated by the growing popularity of do-it-yourself white iPhone conversion kits. A New York high school student recently made headlines when it was revealed that he had made as much as $130,000 selling kits that help users convert their black iPhone 4 units into white ones.

Apple has repeatedly delayed the launch of the white iPhone 4. In July, Apple admitted that the white hardware proved "more challenging to manufacture" than the company originally anticipated.

Apple Store burglary

Thieves stole over $10,000 of Apple merchandise Monday after smashing a plate-glass door at an Apple Store in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Penn., MacNN reports. iPhones, iPods, and Macs were taken from the retail store.

Police are investigating whether the break-in is connected to a burglary at a nearby T-Mobile store, which had its glass storefront smashed several hours earlier.

In September, burglars stole more than $24,000 in products from an Apple Store in Naperville, Ill., also by smashing glass to gain entrance.

With high concentrations of valuable merchandise and glass storefronts, Apple stores have become the occasional target of "smash and grab" burglaries. Last year, security footage at a New Jersey Apple Store showed robbers making off with 23 MacBook Pros, 14 iPhones and 9 iPod touches in 31 seconds.
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone 4

According to various reports, iPhone 4s are now shipping with 5-point torx screws, making the device harder for users to take apart. Units brought to Apple Stores for service are also being retro-fitted with the new screws. Previously, the screws at the base of the phone were crosshead screws.

The changes may have been instigated by the growing popularity of do-it-yourself white iPhone conversion kits. A New York high school student recently made headlines when it was revealed that he had made as much as $130,000 selling kits that help users convert their black iPhone 4 units into white ones.

If people have the skills/guts to risk opening up their iPhone 4 I don't think switching to torx screws is much of a deterrent.
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

If people have the skills/guts to risk opening up their iPhone 4 I don't think switching to torx screws is much of a deterrent.

My thoughts exactly. Torx screwdrivers are pretty cheap.
post #4 of 32
From the pictures and other reports, it's a 5 sided non-standard Torx-like screw. Normal Torx drivers won't work. Somebody created one from scratch with a file and a lot of patience.
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Store robbery

Thieves stole over $10,000 of Apple merchandise Monday after smashing a plate-glass door at an Apple Store in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Penn., MacNN reports. iPhones, iPods, and Macs were taken from the retail store.

Police are investigating whether the robbery is connected to a burglary at a nearby T-Mobile store, which had its glass storefront smashed several hours earlier.

In September, burglars stole more than $24,000 in products from an Apple Store in Naperville, Ill., also by smashing glass to gain entrance.

With high concentrations of valuable merchandise and glass storefronts, Apple stores have become the occasional target of "smash and grab" robberies. Last year, security footage at a New Jersey Apple Store showed robbers making off with 23 MacBook Pros, 14 iPhones and 9 iPod touches in 31 seconds.


31 seconds? Looks like it was planned ahead of time.
post #6 of 32
Apple has the serial numbers on all this stuff. As soon as whoever buys the stolen goods tries to use it, the cops will come a-knockin'.
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwiss View Post

My thoughts exactly. Torx screwdrivers are pretty cheap.

Standard Torx is 6 point. A 5 point Torx can't be made just by filing off a point on a 6 point. However, it probably doesn't take 5 minutes for someone that's decent with a file. I've done just that in the past, though the bit I made was probably a little larger than what's needed for these screws.
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Currently, Orange UK offers monthly 3G plans for the iPad: 3GB of data and unlimited browsing at Wi-Fi hotspots for £15 ($23.92), or 10GB of data and unlimited Wi-Fi hotspot access for £25 ($39.86).


gimme that cheap service in the U.S. ....

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Standard Torx is 6 point. A 5 point Torx can't be made just by filing off a point on a 6 point. However, it probably doesn't take 5 minutes for someone that's decent with a file. I've done just that in the past, though the bit I made was probably a little larger than what's needed for these screws.

I wish people would stop talking about standard screws that can be gotten EVERYWHERE.

I guarantee that every screw used in industry is a standard, and is something that anyone can buy.

All this talk about filing is nuts! You can't file a six point torx to make a five point. The spacing is still way off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+poi...&client=safari
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wish people would stop talking about standard screws that can be gotten EVERYWHERE.

I guarantee that every screw used in industry is a standard, and is something that anyone can buy.

All this talk about filing is nuts! You can't file a six point torx to make a five point. The spacing is still way off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+poi...&client=safari

Ah, don't be such a killjoy for all the people laying in wait to sink the boot into apple...
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wish people would stop talking about standard screws that can be gotten EVERYWHERE.

I guarantee that every screw used in industry is a standard, and is something that anyone can buy.

All this talk about filing is nuts! You can't file a six point torx to make a five point. The spacing is still way off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+poi...&client=safari

Heh, Apple thinks that the average joe can't go online and find these special drivers. Same goes for them trying to prevent people from replacing their own batteries in the macbooks.
post #12 of 32
Make a 5 point Torx screwdriver, call it the iTorx 5, sell them for $9.99
.... Now off to reg the iTorx.com domain name
post #13 of 32
Sounds like Apple needs to replace it's storefront windows with Gorilla Glass.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like Apple needs to replace it's storefront windows with Gorilla Glass.

Where's transparent aluminum? Is Apple saving that for iPhone 6/iPad 3?
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Heh, Apple thinks that the average joe can't go online and find these special drivers. Same goes for them trying to prevent people from replacing their own batteries in the macbooks.

I really don't know if this is the real reason. I'm sure Apple knows as much as anyone that these screws can be bought easily by typing it into Google, just as I did to make the point. And if some kid knows enough to do what he did, he certainly won't be put off by needing less common, but standard screws and bits.

The problem with Cross screws, the ones Apple uses, and the ones that are standard in the Japanese camera industry, is that one, they aren't hardened, and two, it's difficult to find really good screwdrivers that fit closely. Usually, people will destroy the screw thinking it's a Phillips, which is very different.

Torx screws and screwdrivers are all very precise, and are hardened. It's tough to make a mistake other than over torquing when putting them back. Maybe this was for their own service reasons, and is just odd timing. Who knows?
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Where's transparent aluminum? Is Apple saving that for iPhone 6/iPad 3?

You can make transparent aluminum, but it's only about 0.00000001" thick. Probably not strong enough.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wish people would stop talking about standard screws that can be gotten EVERYWHERE.

I guarantee that every screw used in industry is a standard, and is something that anyone can buy.

All this talk about filing is nuts! You can't file a six point torx to make a five point. The spacing is still way off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+poi...&client=safari

Correct. ANSI and ASME standards compliant.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Where's transparent aluminum? Is Apple saving that for iPhone 6/iPad 3?

Apple’s been using transparent (well, translucent) aluminum for years, for sleep lights and camera-active lights

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=922280

(There are also visible pinhole clusters on various MacBooks: light sensors and mics. But the LED lights that shine through the metal are different—tinier holes and pretty near invisible.)
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I really don't know if this is the real reason. I'm sure Apple knows as much as anyone that these screws can be bought easily by typing it into Google, just as I did to make the point. And if some kid knows enough to do what he did, he certainly won't be put off by needing less common, but standard screws and bits.

The problem with Cross screws, the ones Apple uses, and the ones that are standard in the Japanese camera industry, is that one, they aren't hardened, and two, it's difficult to find really good screwdrivers that fit closely. Usually, people will destroy the screw thinking it's a Phillips, which is very different.

Torx screws and screwdrivers are all very precise, and are hardened. It's tough to make a mistake other than over torquing when putting them back. Maybe this was for their own service reasons, and is just odd timing. Who knows?

Actually it could have been done as a cost saving in manufacturing. Torx screws are as cheap as cross screws if you buy them in bulk (which Apple will), but the tool itself will last much longer, as it is not designed to "cam out", which eventually wears the tip of the driver, instead relying on the driver itself to limit torque.

And yes, I loathe myself for knowing something that dull.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can make transparent aluminum, but it's only about 0.00000001" thick. Probably not strong enough.

Or more precisely an Aluminum spinel. Look it uo on line or get a back issue of Tech Briefs. The current research is into bullet proof "glass". The glass being a laminate of the transparent Aluminum, a thick adhesive and a poly carbonate sheet. Very though stuff.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Apple Store in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Penn.

There's your problem right there.
post #22 of 32
Albeit underreported, I guess y'all missed last week's Cupertino press conference...


The move to Torx was simply a Late 2010 screw refresh.
post #23 of 32
That's what you get when you build your store in a place called Shadyside.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wish people would stop talking about standard screws that can be gotten EVERYWHERE.

I guarantee that every screw used in industry is a standard, and is something that anyone can buy.

Not easily. I'm pretty sure Lowe's won't have this bit, I'm reasonably familiar with their bit inventory, they tend not to have bits like this.

Quote:
All this talk about filing is nuts! You can't file a six point torx to make a five point. The spacing is still way off.

I just said that, that much was quoted in your reply. However, one can take a larger bit of any kind and file it down to a 5 point. I've done that before. It's a lot faster than waiting around for a shipment to arrive, maybe 5-10 minutes vs. several days.


What's your point here? Did you read the results of the search? Not one hit on the front page shows a link to buy the necessary bit.

I've just managed to find exactly one set that has a bit that should be small enough to do this job:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/All-v...motiveQ5fTools

A lot of sets only go down to TS10, which isn't anywhere nearly small enough.
post #25 of 32
All of the original screenshots of the iPhone 4 posted by Apple showed the Torx screws so I thought it a bit odd when I got my iPhone 4 and it had standard philips heads.

Anyway, you should correct your post, it is not Torx screws (these are six point) it is Tamper-proof torx screws (5 point).
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

That's what you get when you build your store in a place called Shadyside.

Ironically, Shadyside is probably the nicest and most affluent neighborhood in Pittsburgh.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone 4

According to various reports, iPhone 4s are now shipping with 5-point torx screws, making the device harder for users to take apart. Units brought to Apple Stores for service are also being retro-fitted with the new screws. Previously, the screws at the base of the phone were crosshead screws.

The changes may have been instigated by the growing popularity of do-it-yourself white iPhone conversion kits. A New York high school student recently made headlines when it was revealed that he had made as much as $130,000 selling kits that help users convert their black iPhone 4 units into white ones.

Apple has repeatedly delayed the launch of the white iPhone 4. In July, Apple admitted that the white hardware proved "more challenging to manufacture" than the company originally anticipated.
]



We have to give Apple credit for this. They want to help their customers preserve the Apple User Experience.

If typical customers try to take out the screws, they will see torx screws. They will be completely stymied by they sight, as they will never have encountered anything remotely like what is presented to them.

So they will give up, and Apple's great User Experience will remain unsullied, and the customer will be happy.

The alternative is to allow any unqualified Android freak free to muck around with the innards of Apple's stuff, and then complain to AppleCare when they break it. That costs us all money!

What I really wish is that Apple had used some sort of proprietary screws, so they could sue anybody who makes a tool that fits. That way, they could sue anybody who opens their phone too, because they would be violating the patent.
post #28 of 32
I have a SIM-only rolling-contract with Orange (£10 per month) but their data package sucks. It's expensive and slow, compared to my Three network data contract, which is £15 for 10GB and full 5-bar signal most places I visit.

So, for the £25 per month Orange data package, I'm getting a better, faster data service and a decent talk/SMS package.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post



Not easily. I'm pretty sure Lowe's won't have this bit, I'm reasonably familiar with their bit inventory, they tend not to have bits like this.



That won't stop the geeks. They just get their stuff online.

7 pc. Tamper Proof Torx Bit Set

http://www.amazon.com/pc-Tamper-Proo.../dp/B0009U6ABE
post #30 of 32
Princess Auto item # 8175101 On sale for $10.

They have confirmed by email that they are 5 sided.



I just said that, that much was quoted in your reply. However, one can take a larger bit of any kind and file it down to a 5 point. I've done that before. It's a lot faster than waiting around for a shipment to arrive, maybe 5-10 minutes vs. several days.



What's your point here? Did you read the results of the search? Not one hit on the front page shows a link to buy the necessary bit.

I've just managed to find exactly one set that has a bit that should be small enough to do this job:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/All-v...motiveQ5fTools

A lot of sets only go down to TS10, which isn't anywhere nearly small enough.[/QUOTE]
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

...one can take a larger bit of any kind and file it down to a 5 point.

Exactly. I can't understand why people are belaboring the issue of turning a 6-sided bit into a 5-sided bit. The starting state is irrelevant. As long as the piece is big enough, it serves as "stock" for a fairly simple "machining" process with a file. You can start with a Torx, a Phillips, etc... Just cut off the head and form a 5-sided bit. Are people lacking that much imagination, or just being pedantic for its own sake? For Pete's sake there are more important things to quibble over.
post #32 of 32
So they made off with $10,000 worth of merchandise. What, did they just take one well-equipped Mac Pro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Orange UK subsidizing iPad, iPhone 4 Torx screws, Apple Store robbed