or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes sales of Beatles albums top 450,000 in first week

iTunes sales of Beatles albums top 450,000 in first week

post #1 of 29
A week after adding the Beatles to iTunes, Apple has sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs.

Apple announced exclusive access to digital sales of the Beatle's music last week, including a digital box set that includes 13 studio albums, a two-volume Past Masters compilation and the concert film Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964.

According to a report by Billboard, Apple sold 119,000 albums in the US, including 13,000 digital box sales (which count as a single album in the US figures; the global sales numbers appear to count each box set component as an individual album sale).

The Beatles' best selling album on iTunes in the US was 1969's "Abbey Road," while the top selling song was that album's track, "Here Comes the Sun."

The report compared the Beatles' sales favorably against first-week digital track sales for superstar acts, which "this year typically ranged from 100,000 to 300,000 per title, while digital album sales ranged anywhere from 40,000 to 278,000 for Taylor Swifts blockbuster third album 'Speak Now.'"

Apple has devoted its webpage to the iTunes Beatles announcement, and is running an extensive marketing campaign that includes prominent placement on iTunes as well as TV ads airing during primetime programming, including ABC's American Music Awards and NBC's Sunday Night Football.

The report stated that Apple's media campaign is "expected to kick into high gear this for Black Friday, with expanded TV advertising in the U.S. and full-page ads in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times."
post #2 of 29
Well so much for the 'Everyone has got them" rants! I am shocked to be honest. I bet Yoko (corrected thanks to Spamsandwich) is kicking herself for holding out so long.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well so much for the 'Everyone has got them" rants! I am shocked to be honest. I bet Oko is kicking herself for holding out so long.

It is kind of amazing. I wonder how much Apple will benefit from the exclusivity.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 29
Probably not at all because it probably had to pay for the rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It is kind of amazing. I wonder how much Apple will benefit from the exclusivity.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I thought Michael Jackson own the rights???
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

Yes and no:

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

I think he died or something.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
A week after adding the Beatles to iTunes, Apple has sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs.

I wonder how much net profit they'll make after the huge amount of Beatles-on iTunes promotional advertising they've done? I wouldn't be surprised if it's not significant. How much do they make on an average album? Is it as much as a buck?

Interesting to see that a George Harrison song - Here Comes the Sun - is the top selling tune! I have to say that it is the song I think of, just a much as "She Love You", as exemplary Beatles music.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

I wonder how much net profit they'll make after the huge amount of Beatles-on iTunes promotional advertising they've done? I wouldn't be surprised if it's not significant. How much do they make on an average album? Is it as much as a buck?

Interesting to see that a George Harrison song - Here Comes the Sun - is the top selling tune! I have to say that it is the song I think of, just a much as "She Love You", as exemplary Beatles music.

I don't think Apple had profit in mind when doing this deal. iTunes/Beatles... Beatles/iTunes... this deal puts iTunes into the minds of a bunch of new customers (imo)... iTunes is not just for the young.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I seem to remember it was or something ... \
post #11 of 29
Quote:

Well so much for the 'Everyone has got them" rants! I am shocked to be honest. I bet Oko is kicking herself for holding out so long.

Who's Oko? I'm quite sure you meant Yoko.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It'll be confirmed when Steve says so.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Freudian slip
post #14 of 29
These numbers must be wrong because I read on AppleInsider, MacDailyNews, and Mac Rumors that no one wants the Beatles. They're old. Anyone who likes them already has them.,.

And we all know that these are 3 "highly respected" journalistic websites.
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

oko moko foko
the beetles will get over 300 million tune clients by 2016
and in china russia india africa the beetles are huge

she loves you yea yea yea

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Beatles' best selling album on iTunes in the US was 1969's "Abbey Road," while the top selling song was that album's track, "Here Comes the Sun."

Good for Georgey Boy!
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think Apple had profit in mind when doing this deal. iTunes/Beatles... Beatles/iTunes... this deal puts iTunes into the minds of a bunch of new customers (imo)... iTunes is not just for the young.

Yes - having the Beatles may not bring in dollars directly but it is another large and very visible feather in iTunes' hat and as such it is very good marketing. This also proves how very lazy people are and also how trigger happy people are. After all these years so many people had not managed to get the Beatles into their iTunes libraries out of sheer laziness. No evidence here, just a gut feeling. (I know I'm right, tho) Also, now that the Beatles are on iTunes it is so easy it almost seem like a new brilliant idea - just click and you can have the WHOLE collection. There are a lot of old(ish) folks out there who don't much like/know new music. A lot of folk with a lot of disposable income.
post #18 of 29
It was all planned from the beginning.... there was a reason for holding out and it worked.
post #19 of 29
Quote:

Well so much for the 'Everyone has got them" rants! I am shocked to be honest. I bet Yoko (corrected thanks to Spamsandwich) is kicking herself for holding out so long.

No surprise that the iTunes Store sold so many Beatles. Remember, when Michael Jackson died, every single song on the Top Ten were his for several days. This "everyone has got them" rant is only uttered by fools. A lot of commenters seem to assume that only baby boomers are interested in the Beatles which is completely wrong.

Note that the world's population is also expanding. Heck, in the United States alone, there's a need for about 120,000 new jobs every month, just to keep up with population growth.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

and in china russia india africa the beetles are huge

Yes, they are...

And now I've finally got the beetles on my iPhone...

PEOPLE:

A "beetle" is an insect with hard protective wing covers.

A "Beatle" is usually named John, Paul, George or Ringo.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

PEOPLE:

haha, cool bug pics!
post #22 of 29
And this is why Apple could care less what is posted here. Most of the posts that I read couldn't have cared, or were disappointed with the announcement. I didn't care. But I'm not the marketing perfectionist.

I wish I could say I'd forget 'that' day, but it was my b-day.

Anyway.
post #23 of 29
I bought the box set. I had a few of their albums on my drive but they were of low quality. I have no Beatles CDs and have four vinyl albums. Happy that I now have all of their music.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

And this is why Apple could care less what is posted here. Most of the posts that I read couldn't have cared, or were disappointed with the announcement. I didn't care. But I'm not the marketing perfectionist.

I wish I could say I'd forget 'that' day, but it was my b-day.

Anyway.

You are right about Apple not caring how much people were "disappointed". When so many are happy..... 8 days a week.

Some how I feel however, you have posted in the first threat (after official announcement was made) how disappointed you were and how high your expectations were.
post #25 of 29
Very good numbers those. November's been a Beatles month, what with the iTunes announcement and several documentaries on Wings and the fab 4.

I was born 10 years too late to really appreciate them, but my eldest sister was a big fan and constantly played their music.

Listening to the music previews i was amazed at how many songs i knew, thinking they were written by somebody else. Their songs were well covered.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes - having the Beatles may not bring in dollars directly but it is another large and very visible feather in iTunes' hat and as such it is very good marketing. This also proves how very lazy people are and also how trigger happy people are. After all these years so many people had not managed to get the Beatles into their iTunes libraries out of sheer laziness. No evidence here, just a gut feeling. (I know I'm right, tho) Also, now that the Beatles are on iTunes it is so easy it almost seem like a new brilliant idea - just click and you can have the WHOLE collection. There are a lot of old(ish) folks out there who don't much like/know new music. A lot of folk with a lot of disposable income.

Or perhaps there's a lot of people like me, who "got" their Beatle collection in the days before iTunes .... i.e. napster and limewire ... and who were just waiting for them to appear on iTunes so they could "legitimize" said collection .... or maybe a thousand other reasons .... none of which fall into your"gut feeling". ....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Companies "pay for advertising" all the time .... are you of the belief that it is a waste of $$$$$ ?
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Companies "pay for advertising" all the time .... are you of the belief that it is a waste of $$$$$ ?

Best post! Hit the old nail on the proverbial head, Newbie...well done! You distilled the last few years into one sentence.

Apple is a master of "Publicity." When I think of the amount of print Apple gets in the WSJ, etc. It is truly amazing.

Best regards!
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yes, they are...

And now I've finally got the beetles on my iPhone...

PEOPLE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

haha, cool bug pics!

thanks for he beetleinfo

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes sales of Beatles albums top 450,000 in first week