or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275

Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275

post #1 of 127
Daytime television personality Oprah Winfrey did her part to drive iPad sales for the holiday season, as the top-rated host declared Apple's touchscreen tablet her "No. 1 favorite thing ever."

On her show this week, Winfrey unveiled her list of "ultimate favorite things." Topping the list was the iPad, which she also gave away to the 275 audience members who were there for the taping of her TV show.

"From our very first moment together, I knew it had stolen my heart," Winfrey told her audience, before she "cued the angels" and an iPad was lowered from the ceiling sporting angel's wings. The television host pranced around the device as audience members screamed with excitement.

"Words cannot describe what I feel for this magnificent, magnificent device," she said, holding a 3G model in her hand. "I really think it's the best invention of the century so far."

Winfrey's promotion of the iPad comes just days after a digital version of her publication, O, The Oprah Magazine, became available on the iPad (iTunes link). The $3.99 software is billed as a "taste of the December issue," and includes an animated cover with Winfrey personally unveiling the issue.

Other items on Winfrey's "favorite things" list include a five-year membership to Netflix, a Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera, and a Volkswagen 2012 Beetle.

As an immensely popular television host, Winfrey has a great deal of influence over the sale of products. In 2008, her endorsement of Amazon's Kindle e-reader led to a flood of orders. Online retailer Amazon had trouble keeping up with demand for its device for the remainder of the holiday season.

In April, soon after the iPad launched, Winfrey praised the device as "amazing," and highlighted the device as an interactive e-reader. Her "Book Club," which has made numerous books national bestsellers, is also featured in Apple's iBooks application for iOS devices.
post #2 of 127
That's awesome. Hopefully my mom will be more accepting of it come Christmas time. I ran the idea by her a few months ago trying to get some ideas for what to give her and she dismissed it, but if OPRAH says it's her favorite thing then she might think of it differently
post #3 of 127
What is a " iOS defvice"?
post #4 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

What is a " iOS defvice"?

It's a generalized description of most of the upcoming Android tablets:

Defecation plus device = defvice

The writer erred when she included iOS
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #5 of 127
DaHarder disagrees.
post #6 of 127
Oh good......now I will buy one since Oprah likes it.
post #7 of 127
Hmm...so there will be a shortage this holidays season on iPads. It was already going to be difficult to get one. With over 40 million viewers of the Oprah show Apple will have a tough time meeting demand. Hopefully many of them will see the light and get a Macbook Air.
post #8 of 127
I have no doubt she uses an iPad, but I'd be shocked to see her being driven around in a Beetle. All the same, good on you, Oprah. It's unpaid celebrity promos like hers that help keep Apple tops in mindshare.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #9 of 127
That video is good press!
post #10 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Oh good......now several million more people will buy one since Oprah likes it and for absolutely no other reason.

Fixed.
post #11 of 127
If Orca likes something it must be great. So what exactly is an iPad? Is that like the Newton upgrade we've been waiting for?
post #12 of 127
It's surprising how influential she is towards soccer moms.
post #13 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

If Orca likes something it must be great. So what exactly is an iPad? Is that like the Newton upgrade we've been waiting for?

Yes...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #14 of 127
Great, now I no longer want mine...
post #15 of 127
To hell with if I like Oprah or not, what a great plug!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #16 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

DaHarder disagrees.

He's going to go broke buying all these competitor tablets.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #17 of 127
Apple is doomed!

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #18 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Oh whatever... we fanboys get a hard-on every time Apple sells another iPad as if it somehow adds to our own success.
post #19 of 127
Quote:

I thought the same thing!
post #20 of 127
Just funny how the vultures swoop in and take this positive spin, turning it into a negative. If you don't like Apple gtfo, seriously. Why are you even here? What point do serve? What point do you make? No really, why are you here on Apple Insider taking digs at every Apple product. You hate istuff, we get it. Go wrap yourself in the Android and Windows blankets and get all warm in their brilliance.

For those others who are here because we celebrate Apple stuff, own Apple products and stock, and generally want to see what Apple is up to, good for us! This is a great story, about a great product, and it's going to be a great Christmas after all.
post #21 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Oh whatever... we fanboys get a hard-on every time Apple sells another iPad as if it somehow adds to our own success.

It doesn't??!!??
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 127
So it's official; Apple is no longer cool.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #23 of 127
Quote:

Well, what if I said I recently attended a meeting with a four star USAF general; and him and his staff all had iPads?. I did and they did.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #24 of 127
Oprah has a reality distortion field that even Steve Jobs would be jealous of! I don't recall anyone crying at MacWorld when he unveiled the iPhone.
post #25 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Just funny how the vultures swoop in and take this positive spin, turning it into a negative. If you don't like Apple gtfo, seriously. Why are you even here? What point do serve? What point do you make? No really, why are you here on Apple Insider taking digs at every Apple product. You hate istuff, we get it. Go wrap yourself in the Android and Windows blankets and get all warm in their brilliance.

For those others who are here because we celebrate Apple stuff, own Apple products and stock, and generally want to see what Apple is up to, good for us! This is a great story, about a great product, and it's going to be a great Christmas after all.

Whom are you talking to? It seems that you speak to some one but you did not specified.

Those people are hysterical....
Or, I get it. They now can make iTunes purchases from iPad and listen to Beatles.

And Oprah definitely does not read much (e.g. books) from this glossy screen...

Do they (hosts of such shows) speak only about popular things or is that Apple who comes to them to make it popular?

Disclaimer: I am very positive about Beatles going digital on iTunes.
post #26 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

Oprah has a reality distortion field that even Steve Jobs would be jealous of! I don't recall anyone crying at MacWorld when he unveiled the iPhone.

I don't recall him giving away iPhones to everyone in the audience, either. He's not big on freebies (minus developer previews of OS').
post #27 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

So it's official; Apple is no longer cool.

Yes, right now it's evil. Don't you read the memo?
post #28 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

Maybe it's because Steve jobs didn't give away iPhones for free at MacWorld?
post #29 of 127
Women love the big O. They'll be reconsidering the iPad if they haven't purchased one already.

My mom's reluctance to take the plunge has just been shattered. Turns out Oprah is more influential than I am.
post #30 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

To hell with if I like Oprah or not, what a great plug!

Like her or not (I don't), Oprah is probably the nation's number one tastemaker. What she says matters to a whole lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't recall him giving away iPhones to everyone in the audience, either. He's not big on freebies (minus developer previews of OS').

Not big on it, but he has done it. I got my first copy of iWork at the MWSF keynote where it was introduced (or was it Keynote? -- hard to recall). Another year he gave away mice.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #31 of 127
The same Oprah that gave her audience Pontiac sedans?
post #32 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

The same Oprah that gave her audience Pontiac sedans?

I'd rather have the iPad...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 127
Here's an idea, if you're serious, Oprah: Donate 275 of them to Detroit schoolchildren next.
post #34 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'd rather have the iPad...

I'm holding out for a Studebaker.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #35 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm holding out for a Studebaker.

Good choice (really).

By the way... each Studebaker comes with a Samsung Galaxy Tab.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Good choice (really).

By the way... each Studebaker comes with a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

If it's a Commander Starlight Coupe, I'd take the Samsung and leave it in the trunk.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #37 of 127
I’m not sure where the iPad was last week, but it’s in 6 out of the top 10 spots right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...rsr_e_1_3_last
LOL Check out the ePad, currently at number 11. For another $150 I think I’d go for an of the Galaxy Tab.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenithink-Touc...&s=electronics
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #38 of 127
That sux, now the wife will want one.....
post #39 of 127
Says format not supported

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #40 of 127
They are more rabid than fanboys.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275