or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275

Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275 - Page 3

post #81 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I believe the "Think Different" campaign was targeted primarily at Apple loyalists, to make them feel better about sticking with the Mac. It certainly didn't move the Mac market share needle very much. And I sure don't see it being very relevant to Apple's current market message.

I think you're right. It was still one of their best ever campaigns (IMO)... although the single ad with the tall guy and the small guy using the 12 inch and 17 inch PowerBooks was my all-time favorite!

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Apple is doomed!

yeah....doomed to succesful.
post #83 of 127
Ew. I cringe every time I hear her use that voice!
post #84 of 127
Quote:

Apple has to be careful as they move into this next phase. It's difficult to promote an image of hipness, which I think they still do, when your products are already in so many hands.

Hipness is the easy part. It's a natural accompaniment of innovation. Innovation (that works) is the hard part.
post #85 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Hipness is the easy part. It's a natural accompaniment of innovation. Innovation (that works) is the hard part.

What's interesting to me is how tenaciously Apple's detractors cling to the "hipsters and posers" dig at Apple's customers.

Apple is now very obviously a mass market phenomena. If every third person has an iPhone and/or an iPad, what could "hipster" possibly mean in that context? I'm trying to think of some other product with the wide adoption of Apple's i-line that somehow still got belittled for being the affectation of elites or elite wannabes, but I'm not coming up with anything.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #86 of 127
Quote:

It's difficult to promote an image of hipness, which I think they still do, when your products are already in so many hands. It's not irrelevance that I worry about so much, it's a muddied image, which comes from a corporation that loses its way (fill in your favorite example here). So long as Apple knows what they are about, I think customers will get that message.

I dont think its that hard, but I understand where you are coming from. Usually, the coolest items are not the most commonly bought because they tend to be very expensive. Take, jets, yacht, cars, etc. But with CE the prices are low enough that even the high-end models within these product categories are still obtainable. Therefore, I think for Apple to be able to maintain that hip appeal they simply have to keep doing what they are doing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #87 of 127
When I watched that clip, this video immediately came to my mind:

http://kaycaskey.blogspot.com/2007/1...nl-parody.html
post #88 of 127
Oprah is my favorite billionaire ever!!
post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont think its that hard, but I understand where you are coming from. Usually, the coolest items are not the most commonly bought because they tend to be very expensive. Take, jets, yacht, cars, etc. But with CE the prices are low enough that even the high-end models within these product categories are still obtainable. Therefore, I think for Apple to be able to maintain that hip appeal they simply have to keep doing what they are doing.

I think it's quite funny that you associate 'cool' with 'expensive', because the two have rarely, if ever, been linked.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #90 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I think it's quite funny that you associate 'cool' with 'expensive', because the two have rarely, if ever, been linked.

post #91 of 127
Quote:

It's not just about price, but also about at least the impression of exclusivity. It's tough for a product to remain a cool accessory when tens of millions of people own it. Not impossible, but more difficult. So that's why Apple had to move beyond the limits of "Think Different" marketing, which they've done quite deliberately, and well, so far. I think the further they move into the mass market the more difficult it becomes for them to figure out what message works. They are having to address a progressively wider market.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #92 of 127
Quote:

It's not just about price, but also about at least the impression of exclusivity. It's tough for a product to remain a cool accessory when tens of millions of people own it. Not impossible, but more difficult. So that's why Apple had to move beyond the limits of "Think Different" marketing, which they've done quite deliberately, and well, so far. I think the further they move into the mass market the more difficult it becomes for them to figure out what message works. They are having to address a progressively wider market.

That was addressed as part of the point I made. These items within a market segment are still exclusive because within that market segment cheaper knockoffs and copycats can be had. To reiterate, as long as Apple keeps doing what its doing it’ll be fine.
post #93 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Good choice (really).

By the way... each Studebaker comes with a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Here's how a conversation with the salesperson would go (styled Family Guy style):

Peter: I'd like to buy this Studebaker.
Cashier: I'll give you the Tab with it.
Peter: do not want.
Cashier: But it's included for free!
Peter: If it so much as comes near my Studebaker, I will kill you.
Cashier (speaking to the Tab): don't worry, someday someone will want you. (puts back on shelf)
post #94 of 127
oprah never gives away anything on her show. the production company (which she owns) does. or some sponsor does. but not oprah. neither ipads nor automobiles. she just keeps adding to her pile rather than taking away from it. this is also some nice advertising for her publication, too. but isn't that what the show is for anyway? god bless marketing.
post #95 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

oprah never gives away anything on her show. the production company (which she owns) does. or some sponsor does. but not oprah. neither ipads nor automobiles. she just keeps adding to her pile rather than taking away from it. this is also some nice advertising for her publication, too. but isn't that what the show is for anyway? god bless marketing.

This is a funny distinction. Oprah owns the company, but when the company gives something away, Oprah hasn't given anything away. Nobody is mistaking it for charity, if that's what you really mean.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Daytime television personality Oprah Winfrey did her part to drive iPad sales for the holiday season, as the top-rated host declared Apple's touchscreen tablet her "No. 1 favorite thing ever."

I love my iPad, but the reactions of the audience seemed over the top. The reactions of the audience reminded of a Mad TV parody I had seen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZKjJt-TkU
post #97 of 127
Quote:

Out of curiosity, which netbook did Oprah say was her favourite thing?

Oprah, being the smart women she is, didn't recommend any netbook ....
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #98 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If every third person has an iPhone and/or an iPad, what could "hipster" possibly mean in that context? I'm trying to think of some other product with the wide adoption of Apple's i-line that somehow still got belittled for being the affectation of elites or elite wannabes, but I'm not coming up with anything.

Sony Walkman (in its day)
post #99 of 127
Quote:

That was addressed as part of the point I made. These items within a market segment are still exclusive because within that market segment cheaper knockoffs and copycats can be had. To reiterate, as long as Apple keeps doing what its doing itll be fine.

I suspect that what they do will have to change.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #100 of 127
Quote:

Sony Walkman (in its day)

My memory is that the Walkman was considered "music", though, more like the iPod is now. Like, anyone who liked music had a Walkman, not that it was the accessory of hipsters or snobs or something. To the point that "Walkman" passed over into generic description, like "zipper" or "kleenex" or "bandaid."
post #101 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My memory is that the Walkman was considered "music", though, more like the iPod is now. Like, anyone who liked music had a Walkman, not that it was the accessory of hipsters or snobs or something.

Initially and for several years it was seen that way, first with portable cassette players and then with portable CD players.
Quote:
To the point that "Walkman" passed over into generic description, like "zipper" or "kleenex" or "bandaid."

That impression came later, after many years without further innovation gave competitors the ability to catch up and drown out Sony with me-too products. Then the iPod arrived.
post #102 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I love my iPad, but the reactions of the audience seemed over the top. The reactions of the audience reminded of a Mad TV parody I had seen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZKjJt-TkU

It's the same reaction whenever someone gets something for free on TV. I paid for my iPad, so I don't scream like a teen girl around Rob Pattinson.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #103 of 127
Quote:

Initially and for several years it was seen that way, first with portable cassette players and then with portable CD players.

Hmmm, I don't remember it that way. I remember the walkman as being pretty much "music" right out of the gate. No real way to evaluate the ambient mood of 35 years ago, I don't guess.
post #104 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

... the reactions of the audience seemed over the top. [reminds me of] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZKjJt-TkU

"I was just about to scroll down to it but it's too late now." [2:42]

post #105 of 127
I'm still in love with mine, and iOS 4.2 gives more to love.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #106 of 127
I don't know why anyone would buy one this holiday seeing as the new version will most likely be out in March. I'm glad it is doing so well. I really want one but I will wait for the 2nd gen model.
post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy one this holiday seeing as the new version will most likely be out in March. I'm glad it is doing so well. I really want one but I will wait for the 2nd gen model.

I don't know why anyone would buy one ever, seeing as a new model will always be out in a matter of months.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #108 of 127
Quote:

I don't know why anyone would buy one ever, seeing as a new model will always be out in a matter of months.

Simple reason ................Its Holiday time and people need gifts. After all you can't put a note in a box saying I owe you one 2nd generation IPAD.
post #109 of 127
Quote:

Serious question; are you suggesting that Apple are only as popular and successful as they currently are because they have a 'hip' or 'cool' image? The reason I ask is because of the tireless number of threads about Apple vs. the rest of the world where it's concluded that Apple are so successful because they make better products. However, if part of that success is based on their cool image, surely that diminishes the argument that they simply make the better product?

You can clearly see the 2 sides of the coin here; the Apple fans with say that their success is because of them making the better product, whereas the Apple haters will say it's because they are simply the 'in thing' right now. The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. Apple make strong products that are seen as hip and cool. Lose one or both qualities and Apple's success would be nowhere near where it currently stands.
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

The vultures = people who consistently post negatively on AI about all things Apple. If you don't like Apple just don't come here and you can live in your own little bubble. I don't support Android, so therefore I don't go to Android blogs sites. Is it that hard to understand?

Do you mean that you live in a bigger bubble? Or just in a different one? Or do you assume that some one has their own and you (what a shame) has only a common-"sheep" bubble?

I absolutely have no idea why are you explaining me what "vultures" is. Definitely there are people who constantly post negative things. And I don't take notice of any of such individual to remember them. So if you wanted my attention to any one who does so, you needed to be more specific.

And who is Android? Is he Republican?
post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaxter View Post

Here's an idea, if you're serious, Oprah: Donate 275 of them to Detroit schoolchildren next.

Why don't YOU do that?
post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaxter View Post

Here's an idea, if you're serious, Oprah: Donate 275 of them to Detroit schoolchildren next.

Think she built a whole school in Africa dude.

She's a hard working person who truly went from rags to riches. I find her a bit inspiring honestly.
post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

She's a hard working person who truly went from rags to riches. I find her a bit inspiring honestly.

She also gave us Chicago's BHO and what an epic fail he's turned out to be.

But really- it's all about her magazine anyway. People are so easily manipulated , it's amazing!
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Agreed. Why buy now when you can get a better, faster, lighter version by February or the exact same one sold now for at least $100 less?
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Simple reason ................Its Holiday time and people need gifts. After all you can't put a note in a box saying I owe you one 2nd generation IPAD.

You missed my sardonic tone. The logic of the statement would lead to never buying any technology product at any time because a newer and better one is always just around the corner. Fortunately for technology companies like Apple, few people seem to actually think this way.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

She also gave us Chicago's BHO and what an epic fail he's turned out to be.

But really- it's all about her magazine anyway. People are so easily manipulated , it's amazing!

I like how she's always on the cover of her own magazine. Narcissist much?
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Serious question; are you suggesting that Apple are only as popular and successful as they currently are because they have a 'hip' or 'cool image?

I would never suggest such a thing.
post #118 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Ya a school in Africa. Because you know, that's where she's from right? Maybe build a bloody school in the US instead.

I find her extremely annoying honestly.
post #119 of 127
Do these people really react like this ? are they on crack or something ? Could someone tell them to get a grip on reality.

Sorry, maybe I was unfair, did they let them out for the weekend ?

Oh does the iPad come with an app to remind them to take their meds ?

Anyway clever marketing by Apple / Orpah
post #120 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Do these people really react like this ? are they on crack or something ? Could someone tell them to get a grip on reality.

Sorry, maybe I was unfair, did they let them out for the weekend ?

Well, I mean, it is television. They've been strenuously encouraged, off camera, to lose their minds. And then if everybody else is in on it it becomes a fun bit of theater.

Same as for reality shows, where hugely exaggerated reactions and pointless shouting are pretty much the norm. Average, boring people are always surprised and amused to discover that a bit of play acting and some editing has made of them super-villians or hapless fall guys.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275