or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple nabs HP's former 98 acre campus in Cupertino

Apple nabs HP's former 98 acre campus in Cupertino - Page 2

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Something's not kosher here. Looking at the map, the 50 acres bought in 2006 are about the same size as the 98 acres just purchased.

yeah, i was trying to work that out:
I assume they are talking about the largest contiguous piece that can be used as a self-contained campus. Take the part north of the highway, and you then see that it is further divided by a drainage channel. So, deduct the small south-east corner from the northern part, and you are left with a nice piece that is about exactly half the size of the HP campus -- directly across the road from HP and east of the condos. This five-sided piece of land has six buildings on it currently.

Maybe they could put a parking lot on the south-eastern part and bridge the ditch for people to walk to the campus. And maybe they could put supporting services in the piece south of the highway; but for actual campus, I think they want one, undivided piece.
post #42 of 70
That property is one of the most beautiful campuses you can imagine - very open, and looks like a huge park as you drive around it. Much more open space compared to their adjacent property. Brilliant, strategic purchase. Perfect.
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Oh you know damn well Apple is going to rip up that cheap wood flooring and install some modernistic aluminum facade. I know this cause SJ told me when we were having coffee the other day. What was most interesting was the 18 wheeler he uses to carry is ego around with him. It (the truck) is also made of aluminum.

Put a sock in it moron.
post #44 of 70
Why is this Secondary Campus much bigger then Original? Or are they moving away from infinite Loop?

I like the name infinite Loop. I would rather they expand on it .

Notes: I dont know the place so it might be impossible....
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

You win the "Nerd Reference" award!!!

Introducing.... iSpice
post #46 of 70
I smell "iDataCenter mini"
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

And booby traps. Like when the Atreides first went to Dune and took over the palace from the Harkonnens.

Also Apple should watch out for the bottomless pit Carly used for punishing dissenters. "Madness? This... is... H..P..!!!"

naah, Apple needs a bottomless pit of their own anyway... they need to build down about a hundred stories so they can make their own umbrella corporation HQ.
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Just a real estate purchase. Perhaps for investment, perhaps for expansion. It doesn't really symbolizes or mean anything.

Keep telling yourself this, Sherlock.
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Why is this Secondary Campus much bigger then Original? Or are they moving away from infinite Loop?

Based on previous reports, this is an expansion and they plan to stay at the 1 Infinite Loop campus. In addition to "infinite loop", years ago Apple had buildings on "Disc Dr.", but I don't know whether that exists anymore (or whether the name has been changed to "Flash Dr.").

The bigger question is why does Apple think they need all that space? This implies to me that in the long term (since they've announced no immediate plans to build on that new campus), they're imagining being in many more businesses than they are in today and since they also have that new North Carolina facility, the Cupertino space is most likely not for a big server farm. It also implies thousands of additional employees, which should be great for the California economy.

You don't need a new campus twice (or more) the size of your current one if you're just thinking about some new iPhone/iPad models or additional sales of existing products. Something else is going on. Something bigger than I think we can imagine.
post #50 of 70
How fitting for Apple Inc. to take over H-P's campus! Just a sign of things to come.
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Something else is going on. Something bigger than I think we can imagine.

iWorld Amusement Park?
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

iWorld Amusement Park?

** iLike **
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #53 of 70
"You see, something's going to happen..."
"What? What's going to happen?"
"Something wonderful."

Later...

"My God! It's full of stars!!"

post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Put a sock in it moron.

Yes, quite a witty comeback. Please go learn some Engrish and do better next time.

... and yes I wrote Engrish, some of you will appreciate this.
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

iWorld Amusement Park?

nice

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Yes, quite a witty comeback. Please go learn some Engrish and do better next time.

... and yes I wrote Engrish, some of you will appreciate this.

Yeah whatever troll.
post #57 of 70
Quote:

Expanding on the infinite... even Steve might have a problem with that.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

LOL. I think it's right up Steve's alley.

"You know, we thought long and hard, and we realized "infinite" just wasn't enough to reflect what Apple is all about... So, today, we're renaming 1 Infinite Loop to 1 Infinite Squared. It's an all-new, truly magical and revolutionary campus that's the lightest and thinnest we've ever constructed, made completely of highly recyclable glass and aluminum -- all at an unbelievable price. We think you're going to love it. I'd like to show you an ad, if you'd like to see it..."
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not if he activates his Reality Distortion Field. Problem solved.
post #60 of 70
Quote:

"you know, we thought long and hard, and we realized "infinite" just wasn't enough to reflect what apple is all about... So, today, we're renaming 1 infinite loop to 1 infinite squared. It's an all-new, truly magical and revolutionary campus that's the lightest and thinnest we've ever constructed, made completely of highly recyclable glass and aluminum -- all at an unbelievable price. We think you're going to love it. I'd like to show you an ad, if you'd like to see it..."

Right on! <THUMBS UP>

LOL!
post #61 of 70
Quote:

"You know, we thought long and hard, and we realized "infinite" just wasn't enough to reflect what Apple is all about... So, today, we're renaming 1 Infinite Loop to 1 Infinite Squared. It's an all-new, truly magical and revolutionary campus that's the lightest and thinnest we've ever constructed, made completely of highly recyclable glass and aluminum -- all at an unbelievable price. We think you're going to love it. I'd like to show you an ad, if you'd like to see it..."

I love it. I read the whole thing in Steves voice. Yeah, it was magical
post #62 of 70
*Takes a bow*
post #63 of 70
Quote:

"Apple PR head Steve Dowling said, "we now occupy 57 buildings in Cupertino and our campus is bursting at the seams. These offices will give us more space for our employees as we continue to grow."

Apple currently rents space in office buildings all around Cupertino this is extremely inefficient.
The new campus will allow Apple to consolidate it's offices into much fewer building on just two campuses. Employees will be able to work and collaborate more effectively as well as reduce Apple's real estate costs.
post #64 of 70
This site is near where I live and I drive by it often.

The grounds are beautiful and I hope Apple leaves every one of the towering, old trees.
post #65 of 70
Bumping this thread because this is a pretty interesting development, if true:

Norman Foster to design Apple’s new campus called ‘Apple City

Quote:
El Economicnista reports (English)that renowned British architect Norman Foster is hard at work designing Apple’s new campus in Cupertino. The 100 acre campus was picked up from HP last month for a measly $300M.

The architect has some pretty incredible plans, including an underground tunnel system linking the two campuses (called it). In fact, the entire road transportation system will operate through a network of tunnels (tubes?) that will clear the surface areas for green. “The buildings which will house the engineers and R&D will also be multifunctional and will incorporate cutting-edge technology in materials and equipment as well as renewable energy resources,” according to the report.

Apple has repeatedly said that it is stretching its current campus to capacity.

The campus will be modeled after Masdar, Abu Dhabi, considered the first city in the world without cars or carbon emissions (capacity 50,000).

The report makes many mentions of the term ‘Apple City’. We’re not certain if that is official or not (we hope it catches on).

Makes sense, given Jobs' keen interest in integrating design and functionality in every phase of their product lineup. Taking a look at the Foster + Partners portfolio, it's also clear why Apple would be drawn to this particular architect.

It would be pretty wild if Appel HQ turned into some kind of state of the art signature campus. I mean, network of underground tubes? "Apple city"? All Jobs needs now is sharks with frickin' laser beams and he's got it all sewn up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

All Jobs needs now is sharks with frickin' laser beams and he's got it all sewn up.

One million acres...

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One million acres...

post #68 of 70
Quote:

Makes sense, given Jobs' keen interest in integrating design and functionality in every phase of their product lineup. Taking a look at the Foster + Partners portfolio, it's also clear why Apple would be drawn to this particular architect.

It would be pretty wild if Appel HQ turned into some kind of state of the art signature campus. I mean, network of underground tubes? "Apple city"? All Jobs needs now is sharks with frickin' laser beams and he's got it all sewn up.

Rock star architect meets rock star CEO. Now that could be an interesting personal dynamic.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #69 of 70
Quote:

Although this thread was dug up because of spammers, I think it's nice to reflect on our speculation and what indeed transpired over the past several days.

I was right about GLASS! And a few other things about how he was going to present it.
post #70 of 70
Quote:

Close, it's a massive "spaceship". Huge network of underground parking with tons of trees on top. Natural gas for making their own electricity.

Actually, now that I think of it, deep in the campus, there WILL BE sharks. And laser beams. And "Testing Chambers" ala Aperture Science.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple nabs HP's former 98 acre campus in Cupertino