or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Women want Apple's iPhone, men prefer Google Android, Nielsen finds

Women want Apple's iPhone, men prefer Google Android, Nielsen finds

post #1 of 92
The iPhone and devices running Google Android are the most desired smartphones in the U.S., but men tend to prefer Android while women gravitate toward Apple's iOS, a new survey has found.

Nielsen on Wednesday released the results of its October survey of mobile phone users. It found that the iPhone was "most desired" among likely smartphone upgraders in the U.S., ahead of Android.

But Android found its greatest share when the results were viewed by gender: 32.6 percent of male respondents said they wanted an Android smartphone, while 28.6 percent of men opted for the iPhone.

Women, on the other hand, strongly prefer the iPhone, with 30.9 percent opting for Apple's handset, while 22.8 percent of women said they want a device running Google Android. For both men and women, BlackBerry came in third while Microsoft's Windows Mobile took fourth.

In terms of age, the iPhone led in all demographics except ages 35 to 54. In that range, 27.4 percent of "likely smartphone upgraders" said they would choose Android, more than the 26.3 percent who said the iPhone.

Among users planning to get a new smartphone, current smartphone owners preferred the iPhone with 35 percent choosing Apple, versus 28 percent for Android. Consumers who own "feature phones" were less decisive, with 25 percent unsure what they would buy.

Nielsen also found that the iPhone has edged Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform in terms of market share. The survey shows Apple with 27.9 percent of the market, while BlackBerry holds 27.4 percent. That contrasts with a report also released on Wednesday, which found that the BlackBerry had overtaken the iPhone in terms of mobile browser usage in the U.S.

In October, Nielsen revealed that sales of all devices running Google Android had exceeded the iPhone for the first time. However, Wednesday's new survey shows total market share among users, rather than current sales.
post #2 of 92
You don't think it has something to do with the Terminator-esk advertising Droid has saturated our living rooms with, do you?
post #3 of 92
I have done a survey here in my home and find that 100% of the men and women prefer an iPhone over any other mobile phone. BUt Alas, my name is not Nielsen.

Here in Oz, the iPhone is heads and shoulders above any Android based almost smart-phone...

Cheers.
post #4 of 92
Look at the "Not Sure" difference between men and woman. Can they ever make up their minds?
post #5 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

You don't think it has something to do with the Terminator-esk advertising Droid has saturated our living rooms with, do you?

Plus the fact that guys like to tinker around with things and make them work the way they want them to. But some of us are busy and like the fact that it just damn well works out of the box. Who has time to read a manual?
post #6 of 92
They're making me question my ManHood.
post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone and devices running Google Android are the most desired smartphones in the U.S., but men tend to prefer Android while women gravitate toward Apple's iOS, a new survey has found.

Nielsen on Wednesday released the results of its October survey of mobile phone users. It found that the iPhone was "most desired" among likely smartphone upgraders in the U.S., ahead of Android.

But Android found its greatest share when the results were viewed by gender: 32.6 percent of male respondents said they wanted an Android smartphone, while 28.6 percent of men opted for the iPhone.

Women, on the other hand, strongly prefer the iPhone, with 30.9 percent opting for Apple's handset, while 22.8 percent of women said they want a device running Google Android. For both men and women, BlackBerry came in third while Microsoft's Windows Mobile took fourth.

In terms of age, the iPhone led in all demographics except ages 35 to 54. In that range, 27.4 percent of "likely smartphone upgraders" said they would choose Android, more than the 26.3 percent who said the iPhone.

Among users planning to get a new smartphone, current smartphone owners preferred the iPhone with 35 percent choosing Apple, versus 28 percent for Android. Consumers who own "feature phones" were less decisive, with 25 percent unsure what they would buy.

Nielsen also found that the iPhone has edged Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform in terms of market share. The survey shows Apple with 27.9 percent of the market, while BlackBerry holds 27.4 percent. That contrasts with a report also released on Wednesday, which found that the BlackBerry had overtaken the iPhone in terms of mobile browser usage in the U.S.

In October, Nielsen revealed that sales of all devices running Google Android had exceeded the iPhone for the first time. However, Wednesday's new survey shows total market share among users, rather than current sales.

ONe survey i can call BS on. IN my country iPhone is a hit and men and women want to have it.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #8 of 92
I don't doubt their survey results,but it would be interesting to know how many people were involved in the Survey and what the margin of error is.

Isn't this the same Nielsen that rates TV shows
post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

ONe survey i can call BS on. IN my country iPhone is a hit and men and women want to have it.

Wait... You're calling BS on a survey done for the US only...because you live a country other than the US?

\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #10 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Plus the fact that guys like to tinker around with things and make them work the way they want them to. But some of us are busy and like the fact that it just damn well works out of the box. Who has time to read a manual?

Of all my programmer/engineer/scientist friends who use Android, none of them seem to do anything with the phone that they can't do with the iPhone (I've asked). I know the general impression out there is that it's so "open" but when it comes down to using it, people generally don't want to spend hours messing with their mobile devices. They just want something that works.

My impression is that Android is like Windows or Office: you get 14 million features, but only use 20 of them regularly. Having 9 different ways to do the same thing is not a recipe for robustness, it's a recipe for confusion, insufficient QA and unreliability. Those devices just seem overly buggy to me.

I have a friend who was hard against Apple products, and has owned two Android devices after being a die-hard Blackberry user. We were in the car recently and his phone was in the trunk, so he used mine for quite a while. I didn't ask what he thought, but he emailed me two days ago and said that he bought an iPhone. ;-)
post #11 of 92
Of what use are these surverys other than to be used by spindoctors from either side. I mean do Apple or Google actually pay attention to this crap? Do they adjust their business models or plans based on this crap? Or do they just use them for advertising gimmicks?
post #12 of 92
LOL, and Apple still hasn't released the white iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Of what use are these surverys other than to be used by spindoctors from either side. I mean do Apple or Google actually pay attention to this crap? Do they adjust their business models or plans based on this crap? Or do they just use them for advertising gimmicks?

Nah, Apple doesn't even use focus groups. There are only two people whose opinions matter for Apple: Steve and Jonny.
post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizuInOz View Post

I have done a survey here in my home and find that 100% of the men and women prefer an iPhone over any other mobile phone. BUt Alas, my name is not Nielsen.

Here in Oz, the iPhone is heads and shoulders above any Android based almost smart-phone...

Cheers.

Surveys are important for all sorts of people to justify all sorts of things. We all know that most stats can be interpreted in a any number of ways. It is also important to bear in mind that some companies make (much of) their money from carrying out surveys.

Nielesen surveys and Nielsen ratings are useful for many types of analysis but none more so tan for Nielsen's bottom line.
post #14 of 92
I guess I am just secure in my masculinty...
post #15 of 92
Quote:

Totally. The ads for Android make Android about as unappealing to women as the types of men who are attracted to the ads.

I would say that iPhone advertising is pretty gender-neutral.

And in the interests of disclosure, I'm a man and I have an iPhone (so I guess that makes me "sensitive")
post #16 of 92
in the 55+ market with many of us old farts "unsure".
Having owned a Samsung "feature" phone and now my hand-me-down iPhone 3G, I find the iPhone extremely easy to use.
It is the perfect phone (aside from costs (purchase + monthly) for "seniors".
post #17 of 92
I must be a woman- ;-)

I find the iPhone's sleek lines goes well with my outfit and makes my <> look slimmer.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #18 of 92
Sounds about right. Fashion versus tools. Just like Christmas gifts tend to distribute...
post #19 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone and devices running Google Android are the most desired smartphones in the U.S., but men tend to prefer Android while women gravitate toward Apple's iOS, a new survey has found. ...

Ridiculous study, unsupported conclusions, and poor reporting from Apple Insider to put such a title on it. Everyone involved should feel deeply ashamed.

The data says that roughly 31% of women will go for an iPhone next time and 29% of men would as well.

To spin this as "women prefer iPhone" is to completely distort the data. The difference is smaller than the probable margin of error.

The only significant data here is:

- men prefer Android
- women are more undecided about their next smartphone than men are.

Everything else is a wash, statistically.

The fact that Android, which is almost exclusively marketed to men, is now preferred by men ( a bit) over other OS's is also completely unremarkable.

We aren't learning anything new by this study at all. It's just another proof that advertising works. Tell men over and over that Android is "manly" and eventually they will buy it more often. So what? People are surprised by this?
post #20 of 92
Gandalf uses android, Galadriel uses the iphone, Elrond had a blackberry
post #21 of 92
I think the title is a little misleading. The percentages aren't really all that far apart. They make it sound like a landslide.

Of the 50 people I know that have iPhones 48 are men and 2 are women.

Almost everyone else who has an Android phone would rather have an iPhone but are locked into a different provider for one reason or another.
post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Sounds about right. Fashion versus tools. Just like Christmas gifts tend to distribute...

Agreed. Android is for tools.
post #23 of 92
BOLLOCKS!!

I'd say the iPhone has unisex appeal. I don't think anybody actually thinks about it do they?
Possibly with the exception of the White iPhone, i'd maybe have to think about that.

At my work place and at home it's mainly the males who own the iPhone (70/30). My Daughter doesn't want an iPhone but my two sons do.

I suppose it comes down to who or where you ask the question. With the popularity of the iPhone here in the UK i'd say you'd get different answers on any given day.

Without digging myself a big hole and sounding condescending you could look at it another way. That Android phones are so over-engineered that the vast majority of females can't figure out how to use one. So they go for the simplicity of the iPhone.

Here's a headline for a breaking news story for you.

70% of women say Android is too complicated to use.

I assume most of you will have seen this: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/11/04...ee-each-other/
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #24 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ridiculous study, unsupported conclusions, and poor reporting from Apple Insider to put such a title on it. Everyone involved should feel deeply ashamed.

The data says that roughly 31% of women will go for an iPhone next time and 29% of men would as well.

To spin this as "women prefer iPhone" is to completely distort the data. The difference is smaller than the probable margin of error.

The only significant data here is:

- men prefer Android
- women are more undecided about their next smartphone than men are.

Everything else is a wash, statistically.

The fact that Android, which is almost exclusively marketed to men, is now preferred by men ( a bit) over other OS's is also completely unremarkable.

We aren't learning anything new by this study at all. It's just another proof that advertising works. Tell men over and over that Android is "manly" and eventually they will buy it more often. So what? People are surprised by this?

Pssst! Just between you, me and the Interwebs... AppleInsider is not a news organization. It's more like a popular blog, because they adhere to none of the standards and conventions of a news organization. We worked that out a long time ago.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #25 of 92
"Men like x, Women like y."

What this actually means that a slight majority of the population leans this way. Not surprising, because the Droid has been so relentlessly pitched to the young male, and the young male techies lean against Apple. What does it mean? A few percent more among men like Android.

Shall we have a civil war about this? Perhaps eliminate all women, or all men?

Thinking in terms of demographics and the like is the refuge of bullshitters.
post #26 of 92
Size has a lot to do with I think. Those big ass Android phones especially the Motorola Droids are definitely DUDE phones. Even advertising droid phones like it's some kind of an alien invasion appeals more to guys. I don't see any chicks, moms, girls appeal to it. But for chicks who like it BIG... Well it's a different story then.
post #27 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I assume most of you will have seen this: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/11/04...ee-each-other/

That's pretty much right on the ball.
post #28 of 92
And real men wear pink.
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

There making me question my ManHood.

Apple's new tv ad based on these findings...

Don't Ask, Don't Tell!"

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #30 of 92
Obviously, I'm in touch with my feminine side. I used to drive a Miata, too.
post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

I don't doubt their survey results,but it would be interesting to know how many people were involved in the Survey and what the margin of error is.

Isn't this the same Nielsen that rates TV shows

yes it is the same group who rates shows using a 25k sample size and a demographic breakdown from the last published Census. ie 2000
post #32 of 92
I prefer SYMBIAN, is the WORLD MOST USED OS, but still Apple Insider don't mention it, why is that?
post #33 of 92
What do men do? Buy stuff for their women! Especially the holiday season. So...

Use to be "Every kiss begins with Kay" (as in Kay Jewelry).

Now it's "Every kiss begins with i" (as in iPhone!

post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Surveys are important for all sorts of people to justify all sorts of things. We all know that most stats can be interpreted in a any number of ways. It is also important to bear in mind that some companies make (much of) their money from carrying out surveys.

Nielesen surveys and Nielsen ratings are useful for many types of analysis but none more so tan for Nielsen's bottom line.

Sorry, polling is bullsh*t. Not scientific, not helpful for analysis. It's a commissioned service used for marketing.

Break it down for ya...
1. A poll is paid for, polling companies don't just go out and do surveys for charity or for the benefit of mankind's knowledge.
2. When a poll is commissioned by a customer, the polling results are guaranteed to return a result favorable to the client.
3. Poll sample sizes are laughably small, and there's no science behind claims that polling sample sizes are representative of larger groups. Thats called marketing for polling companies to sell their product.
4. Polling questions are always leading, and the range of options is limited to skew the results.
5. Different types of people are often asked, different sets of questions.

The only part of polling that isn't total nonsense is, advertising the results (aka 'news reporting') in the media can skew opinion.
post #35 of 92
Quote:

The marketing has that bent BECAUSE the core Android audience is tech-addled males (many of whom drift in and out of sci-fi fantasy). Not the other way 'round.

Ask anyone in marketing. First thing you do is ID the core audience. Then you market to them. No one needs to tell me women prefer the iPhone... all I have to do is compare the ads and see who they're aimed at.

If you do this backwards - misread your core market and put out the wrong ads for that market - the result is poor sales and dissatisfied customers. Neither of those things is happening here. Products are flying off the shelves, and both Android and iPhone owners are passionately devoted to their choices.
post #36 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizuInOz View Post

Cheers.

Same here
post #37 of 92
Quote:

Everything. It takes an insecure man to respond to that sort of advertising but evidently there are plenty of them
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

I prefer SYMBIAN, is the WORLD MOST USED OS, but still Apple Insider don't mention it, why is that?

I think the survey is about advanced mobile OSs
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, Apple doesn't even use focus groups.

Apple uses the best focus group - their customers. Everything they do is with the customer in mind (albeit the less savvy majority not the uber geeks like around here). And it is validated by their sales, not some random survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

"Men like x, Women like y."

I see what you did there. lol

Quote:
What this actually means that a slight majority of the population leans this way. Not surprising, because the Droid has been so relentlessly pitched to the young male, and the young male techies lean against Apple.

Yep they all but said the droid is not for women in those ads.

As for the leanings, I have had a different experience. It has been the young male techies in our office and the others we work with that have pushed the Mac, the iPhone, the iPad on the old foggies with the money. When asked about waiting for the supposedly cheaper Android etc tablets and phones, it was the young bucks that's said that the trouble wouldn't be worth the few dollars saved. Rather shocked me to hear them say it. Then again they do enough tinkering at work too get the job done, probably have it out of their systems
post #40 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Agreed. Android is for tools.

Sure. But then again, there's no shortage of tools inhabiting this world. So it's a big market, eh?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Women want Apple's iPhone, men prefer Google Android, Nielsen finds