or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple

In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma View Post

But that is the typical computer novice/technologically illiterate method. Look at any newbie's desktop. Rows of icons, all right there, front and center, no experience required.

There's a good reason why Apple chose the arrangement they did.

... and that's why environments such as Android exist, to offer those who desire more flexibility a viable option.

There's room for both (regardless of what the fanatics claim).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #82 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm unfamiliar with iOS when I tried my friend iPad and I thought it's great. Never have to understand anything about it beforehand. When I tried Galaxy Tab my wife walked away swear she wouldn't look at Android again although she really like the size being small woman and all. She's that unimpressed.
I don't think the need to understand is required. We just tested what we want to use the device with. If we found it's not that good it's not that good. Very simple.

The thing is there is no actual Android tablet right now. Google has specifically stated that the current version of Android should NOT be put onto a tablet. But hardware manufacturers feel the need to churn out an iPad competitor regardless so they're shoehorning an OS that isn't ready for the task. Saying that the current Android tablets suck is like judging an application based on a beta version.

It's really kind of unfair to make judgments on Android tablets until the actual tablet-optimized version of the OS arrives.
post #83 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

The thing is there is no actual Android tablet right now. Google has specifically stated that the current version of Android should NOT be put onto a tablet. But hardware manufacturers feel the need to churn out an iPad competitor regardless so they're shoehorning an OS that isn't ready for the task. Saying that the current Android tablets suck is like judging an application based on a beta version.

It's really kind of unfair to make judgments on Android tablets until the actual tablet-optimized version of the OS arrives.

Make you wonder, isn't it?, when someone here... cough... DaHar... cough... gave glowing review to the Tab, comparing to iPad no less.
post #84 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

Like I said, PC... I'm at work... no glossy screen here, sadly.

What's your screen resolution? I use 1920 x 1080p. In fact, I used my multi-touch pad to enlarge the image in the browser so it fits perfectly on my screen, with plenty of room left for the taskbar on the side.

Are these old low-res monitors the problem? The image is said to render fine on the Galaxy Tab. Is it a problem only on old-school 4x3 monitors?

Or what?
post #85 of 161
Quote:

'Google' never said that, only that Android 2.2/Froyo was not currently 'optimized' for tablet use, which really means very little in the grand scheme of things, given that it's largely the apps that require 'optimizing' to better take advantage of the additional screen real-estate.

To be quite candid, Android (the base OS) is far better suited for tablet use than iOS (in many ways) given that one can easily customize the UI (widgets and icon spacing are two important options), whereas nothing can currently be done with the needless waste of space between icons on my iPad, and there's not a single live/active widget to be found (other than the clock/battery indicator).

Additionally: As I look a both my ipad and iPod Touch/4th generation, there's very little to differentiate the basic manner in which each functions other than the difference in display sizes.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #86 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Lurking...

Showing his toys...

Love it!
post #87 of 161
Quote:

Make you wonder, isn't it?, when someone here... cough... DaHar... cough... gave glowing review to the Tab, comparing to iPad no less.

Link Please?

Hint: I gave no such 'review'... and lying/posting to the contrary won't make your claim any less false.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #88 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Link Please?

Hint: I gave no such 'review'... and lying/posting to the contrary won't make your claim any less false.

Chill. Lie? What a laugh? I'm not Apple fanboy why did i lie about such a thing?
And do I need to provide link? Really? "3 each". "near perfect" "wife found iPad too cumbersome" ring any bell?
post #89 of 161
Quote:

Love it!

There was an actual "Uncle Sherman" Doll in the 1980s.

AIR, It had a Belt on the raincoat, Boots and Pant Legs with garters just above the knees...

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #90 of 161
Quote:

Chill. Lie? What a laugh? I'm not Apple fanboy why did i lie about such a thing?
And do I need to provide link? Really? "3 each". "near perfect" "wife found iPad too cumbersome" ring any bell?

Hardly a 'review'... merely an opinion expressed in a forum post, just like all the rest.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #91 of 161
Quote:

Oh crap! I think you may have inadvertently started a 3 page thread on the meaning of the word 'review'.

[on edit... yup! here we go...]
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #92 of 161
Quote:

To you I say: Pot... Meet Kettle.

One could infer from this that you mean to say I'm a troll, and, by implication, that you admit to being one. So, I'll take that as an acknowledgment from you that you are consciously and deliberately here as a troll.
post #93 of 161
Quote:

Not seeing how it's "unfair." Android is what it is, by its very nature manufacturers are free to do as they please. One of Apple's advantages is that they control the entire hardware/software stack; there will never be an iPad that doesn't meet Apple's standards.

By the time "proper" Android tablets hit the market (and who's to say they'll be all that compelling?) many consumers may have come to have a negative impression of such products, which is too bad but hardly unfair. Again, it's pretty much built into the platform that there will be shitty implementations, as vendors slap a free OS on cheap hardware while competing almost entirely on price.

So I would say that the more worrying trend for the Android tablet market is the probability that Apple is going to pretty much sew up their price points, which means the "real" competition is going to be cheap, not terribly well made hardware. Without the distortions of cell subsidies, it looks like the only way, at least for the foreseeable future, to sharply undercut Apple's pricing is to use less expensive components.

Fandroids like to imagine their platform is super compelling, that masses of people long for "open" hardware and resent Apple's "control", but it's pretty obvious that the Android cell phone market is being fueled by being "good enough", ubiquitous, and cheap to free. When someone comes in to re-up their contract and they get the hard sell on a BOGO or free with contract smart phone that looks dead sexy compared to that busted old clamshell, why not?

But tablets aren't like that, so it remains to be seen if Android's charms can win the masses over when there's price and availability parity. If not, then the actual Android tablet market will be the old story of the race to the bottom, which, when it comes to something like a personal touch device, might not be quite the recipe for market share building as it was in the PC market.

Imagine a world where Apple, HP, Dell, Acer, et al have roughly price parity for their laptop and desktop offerings. The super discount PCs are all no-name white boxes or sketchy Chinese brands with little known track record or simply vendors that specialize in prioritizing low cost over everything else (go look at some low-end netbooks to get an idea how that works).

Now take away the historic PC software advantage. Now take away the historic PC business lock-in. Now rerun the history of the PC market, and ask yourself if Android is really Windows in this scenario.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #94 of 161
Quote:

What's your screen resolution? I use 1920 x 1080p. In fact, I used my multi-touch pad to enlarge the image in the browser so it fits perfectly on my screen, with plenty of room left for the taskbar on the side.

Are these old low-res monitors the problem? The image is said to render fine on the Galaxy Tab. Is it a problem only on old-school 4x3 monitors?

Or what?

1280 x 1024... but then that really misses the point of my post. oh well. my girlfriend's mother takes everything i say at face value as well...

incidentally, the ipad has a slightly higher res screen than the galaxy tab.
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
post #95 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One could infer from this that you mean to say I'm a troll, and, by implication, that you admit to being one. So, I'll take that as an acknowledgment from you that you are consciously and deliberately here as a troll.

If that's what makes you feel all safe and secure, you can label me as you desire, but unlike YOU (and your ilk) I put my money where my mouth is, and speak from actual long-term experience/ownership with/of these devices.

Happy Holidays
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #96 of 161
It doesn't take a genius to realise that people want iPad. I was today at my local Apple reseller and i thought there will be none left (there was a line actually). If i'm correct they sold something around 100 iPads in 2 hours. Tab is a joke, it's not even a tablet.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #97 of 161
Quote:

Err... Do you mean that Screen Size isn't a system spec?

Or... were you just looking for something to argue about?

I was talking more about the guts of the device, but you're right, it is a spec.

I'm not looking to argue over whether or not this article deserves any respect. It's clear it doesn't.

Quote:

Well, he is a troll. We all remember when he was centering the text on all his posts just to annoy people. Whether he's lying or not, and about what, is another question. But he clearly he's only here to bash Apple and get people riled up, just like you, and that's pretty much the definition of troll, isn't it.

Uh oh, he centered his text! TROLL!!!!!!

Jesus Christ man, don't be such a moron. Centering text doesn't make you a troll, and posting how much you like your galaxy tab on an article at an apple fan site meant only to BASH the device doesn't make someone a troll either. He clearly owns an ipad and praises that as well, but I guess those sorts of posts just fade into the rest from people around here and you don't notice them.

BTW, having a difference of opinion doesn't make someone a troll. Here at AI, it just makes you an easy target for bullshit replies.
post #98 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Uh oh, he centered his text! TROLL!!!!!!

The key point being that he did it for the purpose of annoying people. You know how that is.

Quote:
... BTW, having a difference of opinion doesn't make someone a troll. Here at AI, it just makes you an easy target for bullshit replies.

No, it doesn't, but, for those who come here with their primary purpose to express a "difference of opinion", it does. Just as it would make me a troll if I went to, for example, an Android forum just for the purpose of expressing to them how misguided they were. Context is everything.
post #99 of 161
Quote:

If that's what makes you feel all safe and secure, you can label me as you desire, but unlike YOU (and your ilk) I put my money where my mouth is, and speak from actual long-term experience/ownership with/of these devices.

Happy Holidays

Long-term ownership of devices just recently released? Uh, right.
post #100 of 161
Quote:

It would seem that you misunderstand the meaning of the phrase. Here's some alternatives:

Similar idioms in other languages

Arabic: "The camel cannot see the crookedness of its own neck"
Azeri: "Kor kora kor deməsə bağrı çartlayar". ("If a blind man doesn't point out the other blind man that his blind, he'll die")
Basque: Xoxoak beleari: Ipurbeltz!. "The blackbird to the crow: Black tail!"
Burmese: "The Son is one month older than the father"
Hindi: "Ulta Chor Kothwal ko daante" ("The thief scolding the magistrate in reverse")
Indonesian: "Maling Teriak Rampok" ("The thief shouting robber")
Czech: Konvice nazývá kotlÃ*k černým. ("The pot called the kettle black") Hrnec hrnci káÂe, oba černÃ* jako saze - Čelakovský[4] ("Pot preaches to pot, both as black as soot.")
Chinese: "五十步笑百步" - [Those who have retreated] 50 steps laugh at [those who retreated] 100 steps.
Chinese: "雞看不見雞背脊" - A chicken can't see its own back.
Danish: Tyv tror, hver mand stjæler ("A thief supposes that everybody steals")
Dutch: De pot verwijt de ketel dat hij zwart ziet ("The pot reproaches the kettle for looking black")
Estonian: Pada sõimab katelt, ühed mustad mõlemad ("The pot reproaches the kettle  but they are both black")
Finnish: Pata kattilaa soimaa  musta kylki kummallakin ("The pot reproaches the kettle  black [is] the side of each")[5]
French: C'est l'hôpital qui se moque de la charité ("The hospital mocks the charity"), La pelle se moque du fourgon ("The shovel mocks the poker")[6]
German: Du sollst zuerst vor der eigenen Tür kehren ("Sweep first in front of your own door")
German: Ein Esel schimpft den anderen Langohr ("One donkey calls the other one longears")
German: Wer im Glashaus sitzt, soll nicht mit Steinen werfen ("Who sits in the glass house, shouldn't throw stones")
Greek: Ipe o gaidaros ton petino kefala ("The donkey said to the rooster "Your head is too big"")
Hungarian: Bagoly mondja verébnek, hogy nagy a feje or the short form Bagoly mondja verébnek ("The owl says the sparrow has a large head")
Irish: Sin an túlán ag tabhairt tóin dubh ar an phota! ==That is the pot calling the kettle black!
Italian: Il bue che dÃ* del cornuto all'asino ("The ox calling the donkey horned"), Cencio che dice mal di straccio (A rag speaking ill of a cloth)
Hebrew: כל הפוסל במומו פוסל‎ Kol HaPosail, B'mumo Posail ("All who disqualify [another due to a fault] with their own [having that] fault [so] disqualify")[7]
Japanese: "目糞が鼻糞を笑う" ("For the sleep in one's eyes to laugh at the snot in one's nose"), Sanabo.com
Korean: "똥 묻은 개가 겨 묻은 개 나무란다" ("The dung-stained dog reproaches the chaff-stained dog."), Naver.com or "겨 묻은 개가 똥 묻은 개를 흉본다" ("The chaff-stained dog disparages the dung-stained dog."), Naver.com
Lithuanian: "Juokiasi puodas, kad katilas juodas" ("The pot laughing at a black kettle"), Patarles.lt
Norwegian: Ã kaste sten i glasshus ("To throw stones in a glass houses")[8]
Persian: دیگ به دیگ میگه روت سیاه ("The pot tells the other pot your face is black"), Tebyan.net
Polish: Przyganiał kocioł garnkowi, a sam smoli ("The cauldron was reprimanding the pot and it soots itself"),[9] often contracted to Przyganiał kocioł garnkowi ("The cauldron was reprimanding the pot")
Punjabi: ਆਪ ਕਿਸੇ ਜਹੀ ਨਾ, ਨਕ ਚੜਾਨੋ ਰਹੀ ਨਾ ("You are yourself good for nothing, and still trying to ridicule others")[citation needed]
Portuguese: Olha pro teu nariz ("Look at your nose," implying they also have dirt in their nose.),
Portuguese: O sujo falando do mal lavado ("The dirty is talking about the half clean")[10],
Portuguese: O porco falando do toucinho (The pig talking about the bacon)[11],
Portuguese: Quem tem telhados de vidro não atira pedras (People with glass roofs don't throw stones) and "Diz o roto ao nu" ("The one with shabby/torn clothes says to the naked man), these are more common in European Portuguese.
Russian: В чужом глазу соломину видеть, в своёмÂбревна не замечать ("To see a little straw in other's eye, and not to notice a log in his own"; this is Matthew 7:3)
Romanian: Râde ciob de oală spartă ("Potsherd laughs at the cracked pot")
Serbian: Rugala se Âerpa loncu, a i ona garava ("The casserole laughs at the pot, and they are both sooty")
Slovene: Najprej mora počistiti pred svojim pragom. (Clean before your own doorstep first.)
Swedish: Kasta inte sten i glashus ("Don't throw stones in glass houses"), Sopa rent framför din egen dörr [först] ("Sweep [first] clean in front of your own door")
Spanish: Apártate que me tiznas, dijo la sartén al cazo ("Move away, you are blackening me, said the pan to the pot") El burro hablando de orejas ("The donkey talking about ears")
México: El comál le dijo a la olla ("The grill telling a to the pot")
Venezuela: Cachicamo diciéndole a morrocoy conchúo ("An armadillo telling a turtle it is too hard shelled")
Colombia: El que tiene rabo de paja, que no se arrime a la candela ("if you have a tail made of straw, you'd better stay away from the fire").
Argentina: El muerto se rÃ*e del degollado ("The dead guy laughs at the one with the throat slit")
Thai: ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง (wâa dtÃ*e kăo ì-năo bpen eng) ("[Enau] accuses others, but he himself is guilty") Thai-language.com, look up อิเหนา
Turkish: "Tencere dibin kara, seninki benden kara". ((One pot saying to another) "Pot, your bottom is black." - (other pot replying back) "Yours is blacker than mine!")
Urdu: الٹا چور کوتوال کو ڈانٹے ("The thief scolding the magistrate in reverse")
Vietnamese: Chó chê mèo lắm lông ("dog ridicules cat for being hairy")
Welsh: Sbia adra ("Look at home")
Slovak: (Trafena hus zagagala)
post #101 of 161
Quote:

It's all relative... Isn't it ? (but thanks for your insight on the matter)...

In any case it's still exponentially longer than that of most in here who are so quick to bash competing products completely out of ignorance.

Note: I've been an Android user for well over a year now, and (much like my iPod/iPod Touch/iPad iOS) the users experience is not overwhelmingly dissimilar from one Android device to another.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #102 of 161
Quote:

It's all relative... Isn't it ?

Not really. It's an indication of your credibility, or, more to the point, lack thereof.
post #103 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not seeing how it's "unfair." Android is what it is, by its very nature manufacturers are free to do as they please. One of Apple's advantages is that they control the entire hardware/software stack; there will never be an iPad that doesn't meet Apple's standards.

By the time "proper" Android tablets hit the market (and who's to say they'll be all that compelling?) many consumers may have come to have a negative impression of such products, which is too bad but hardly unfair. Again, it's pretty much built into the platform that there will be shitty implementations, as vendors slap a free OS on cheap hardware while competing almost entirely on price.

So I would say that the more worrying trend for the Android tablet market is the probability that Apple is going to pretty much sew up their price points, which means the "real" competition is going to be cheap, not terribly well made hardware. Without the distortions of cell subsidies, it looks like the only way, at least for the foreseeable future, to sharply undercut Apple's pricing is to use less expensive components.

Fandroids like to imagine their platform is super compelling, that masses of people long for "open" hardware and resent Apple's "control", but it's pretty obvious that the Android cell phone market is being fueled by being "good enough", ubiquitous, and cheap to free. When someone comes in to re-up their contract and they get the hard sell on a BOGO or free with contract smart phone that looks dead sexy compared to that busted old clamshell, why not?

But tablets aren't like that, so it remains to be seen if Android's charms can win the masses over when there's price and availability parity. If not, then the actual Android tablet market will be the old story of the race to the bottom, which, when it comes to something like a personal touch device, might not be quite the recipe for market share building as it was in the PC market.

Imagine a world where Apple, HP, Dell, Acer, et al have roughly price parity for their laptop and desktop offerings. The super discount PCs are all no-name white boxes or sketchy Chinese brands with little known track record or simply vendors that specialize in prioritizing low cost over everything else (go look at some low-end netbooks to get an idea how that works).

Now take away the historic PC software advantage. Now take away the historic PC business lock-in. Now rerun the history of the PC market, and ask yourself if Android is really Windows in this scenario.

You have touched upon something that is often overlooked -- Cell capability and the carrier tie-in.

The Rim PlayBook has no Cell capability and tethers to a BB for Cell web access.

The Galaxy Tab comes with Cell capability and is sold:
-- subsidized with a carrier contract
-- unsubsized at a much higher price

It appears that other Android tablets will follow the lead of the Galaxy Tab and be mainly sold like large Cell Phones -- complete with carrier contract.

The iPad, has models without cell radios and models with cell radios. The Cell Radio iPad models are sold unsubsidized without carrier contracts,

The unsubsidized iPad is competitively priced compared to subsidized tablets.

I suspect that the next gen iPad will have a model with an universal cell radio (or radios) capable of working on any/all cell networks.

The point of all this is that Apple will be selling an Universal iPad without any dictates or influence from the carriers -- the carriers will be what they should have always been -- a dumb pipe regulated utility.

Certainly, the carriers should be free to resell and bundle plans with the iPad -- but they will not (and shouldn't) have any influence as to what (hardware, OS Version, System Software, Apps) goes into the product or any determination of the base price of the product.

The carriers will be free to compete on their service offerings.

That is significant! The iPad solution will succeed or fail on its own merits -- not some artificial, carrier-imposed restrictions or so-called benefits.

In this way, the iPad truly is magic -- it (the hardware, OS , UI) or the carrier doesn't get between you and your stuff.

Then, by 2012, I expect the iPhone (and any other related Apple devices) to be priced and sold in the same carrier-independent fashion.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #104 of 161
Quote:

As I've said on other threads about this topic, if they don't want us to judge them on poorly optimized software/hardware combinations, maybe they should delay release until they can actually have a good product. As it is, I'll comment on how well (or how poorly) it works b/c that is what is available on the market

Quote:

'Google' never said that, only that Android 2.2/Froyo was not currently 'optimized' for tablet use, which really means very little in the grand scheme of things, given that it's largely the apps that require 'optimizing' to better take advantage of the additional screen real-estate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20016085-260.html

Extra quotes from the article:

"But the way Android Market works is it's not going to be available on devices that don't allow applications to run correctly.

"Which devices do, and which don't will be unit specific, but Froyo is not optimised for use on tablets.

"If you want Android market on that platform, the apps just wouldn't run, [Froyo] is just not designed for that form factor.

"We want to make sure that we're going to create a application distribution mechanism for the Android market, to ensure our users have right experience."
post #105 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

As I've said on other threads about this topic, if they don't want us to judge them on poorly optimized software/hardware combinations, maybe they should delay release until they can actually have a good product. As it is, I'll comment on how well (or how poorly) it works b/c that is what is available on the market

This is correct. You don't review products on their potential. You judge them on what they do now. The companies that make these products are saying, "This is what we'd like to offer to our customers." If it's half-baked, they'll keep it in the lab.

Someday, Apple will release a version of iOS that won't be fully supported on my iPad. That doesn't reduce my enjoyment of using the device in its current state. If I were unhappy, I would have returned it and waited a few more years.

Note: I still don't have an iPhone. I'll buy one someday, however either it needs to show up on T-Mobile USA or AT&T needs to put towers closer to both home and work.
post #106 of 161
Quote:

How loved his first iPad so much he made love to it. Now he has 3. TWINS!!

post #107 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

How loved his first iPad so much he made love to it. Now he has 3. TWINS!!

Actually I think he has 9. He said that his wife, kid and himself had 3 each.
post #108 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips
Those crazy 15%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

One of them was DaHarder...

Okay, it was funny the other day about DaHarder being one of two people in line to get a W7 phone. Now the humor is getting a bit worn.
post #109 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Actually I think he has 9. He said that his wife, kid and himself had 3 each.

B.S... You just (unsurprisingly) appear to lack the ability to properly comprehend was was posted.

Note: "3 each" means nothing more than 3 individual items (it's a military thing, so I seriously doubt that you have any frame of reference).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #110 of 161
Quote:

B.S... You just (unsurprisingly) appear to lack the ability to properly comprehend was was posted.

Note: "3 each" means nothing more than 3 individual items (it's a military thing, so I seriously doubt that you have any frame of reference).

It is not limited to military usage. Instead, it is standard English usage:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/each

Noun
each (plural eaches)
An individual item: the least quantitative unit in a grouping.

Example:

2007, David E. Mulcahy, Eaches or Pieces Order Fulfillment, Design, and Operations Handbook, CRC Press, ISBN 978-0-8493-3522-8, page 385:

"An each, piece, single item, or individual item package."

Why do you respond to the trolls?
post #111 of 161
Quote:

Hardly a 'review'... merely an opinion expressed in a forum post, just like all the rest.

Nice try at recovery, but it fails Faced with the evidence you did exactly what you claim you didn't, you pull a politician move and attempt to redefine words in the English language...

Repeatedly!!!

Quote:

Each doesn't mean each?

Stop while you are only way behind.
post #112 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Nice try at recovery, but it fails Faced with the evidence you did exactly what you claim you didn't, you pull a politician move and attempt to redefine words in the English language...

Repeatedly!!!

Each doesn't mean each?

Sad... So Very Very Sad to see you constantly contradict yourself in the same post.

Note: Each does indeed mean Individual, which is exactly what I stated.

EACH –1. every one of two or more considered individually or one by one.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #113 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Each doesn't mean each?

"It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is." Bill Clinton, during his 1998 grand jury testimony on the Monica Lewinsky affair
post #114 of 161
Quote:

You have touched upon something that is often overlooked -- Cell capability and the carrier tie-in.

The Rim PlayBook has no Cell capability and tethers to a BB for Cell web access.

The Galaxy Tab comes with Cell capability and is sold:
-- subsidized with a carrier contract
-- unsubsized at a much higher price

It appears that other Android tablets will follow the lead of the Galaxy Tab and be mainly sold like large Cell Phones -- complete with carrier contract.

The iPad, has models without cell radios and models with cell radios. The Cell Radio iPad models are sold unsubsidized without carrier contracts,

The unsubsidized iPad is competitively priced compared to subsidized tablets.

I suspect that the next gen iPad will have a model with an universal cell radio (or radios) capable of working on any/all cell networks.

The point of all this is that Apple will be selling an Universal iPad without any dictates or influence from the carriers -- the carriers will be what they should have always been -- a dumb pipe regulated utility.

Certainly, the carriers should be free to resell and bundle plans with the iPad -- but they will not (and shouldn't) have any influence as to what (hardware, OS Version, System Software, Apps) goes into the product or any determination of the base price of the product.

The carriers will be free to compete on their service offerings.

That is significant! The iPad solution will succeed or fail on its own merits -- not some artificial, carrier-imposed restrictions or so-called benefits.

In this way, the iPad truly is magic -- it (the hardware, OS , UI) or the carrier doesn't get between you and your stuff.

Then, by 2012, I expect the iPhone (and any other related Apple devices) to be priced and sold in the same carrier-independent fashion.

The only way Apple can get away with this is to have products that are so popular they can force the carriers' hands.

One thing rarely noted by Android boosters is that it gives the power back to the carriers. Without any Apple (or MS) breathing down their necks to make sure they actually do operate as dump pipes and sell the device the device manufacturer actually made, as they intended it to be, they are free to "differentiate" by customizing each Android handset with carrier specific "features" which are typically more expensive and less functional than their non-carrier counterparts. Verizon is particularly aggressive with this approach.

And iPhone (or iPad) is what it is, the consumer can be assured that they'll know exactly what they're getting. That was a major coupe on Apple's part, unprecedented up till that time. As the iPhone gained popularity, it was looking as if that model might finally break the stranglehold of carriers over wireless tech.

But now Android is willing to hop into bed with the carriers, and do whatever gymnastic contortions are called for, and which is where Google's and Apple's ad driven vs. consumer driven business models really start to make a difference After all, what does Google care? They get their ad hits anyway. . And what do the carriers care? They have a very popular smartphone platform that allows them to load it up with proprietary junkware to their heart's content. Note that early on, before Andoird had taken off, Android apologists made a big deal about how Verizon was selling Android handsets unmolested. That was when the iPhone was setting the agenda. Now? Reverted to type.

Hopefully, Apple can continue to win consumers over with great design and functionality, selling enough in the process to force the carriers to dance to their tune. The data plan for the iPad is a great example-- nothing else as consumer friendly out there.
post #115 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder;1762260
[U

Note[/U]: Each does indeed mean Individual, which is exactly what I stated.

Your exact quote is as follows" ... "We now have 3 each in my Household",....
We refers to your 3 family members ..... 3 each can only refer to each member having 3.

We all know that you'll never "admit to a mistake" but it's always amusing to see how you keep trying to defend the indefensible .... and your "military" reference is truly a stroke of comedic "genius" ???? kinda like dumb and dumber.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #116 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Your exact quote is as follows" ... "We now have 3 each in my Household",....
We refers to your 3 family members ..... 3 each can only refer to each member having 3.

Though you appear to completely lack any degree of understanding/rational, obviously rendering you unable to comprehend even the simplest of concepts (the 'dumbest' one could reason)... For the Last Time:

Object in Question = iPad, with EACH referring to 3 individual units of said object (e.g. iPad).

Have A Nice Day.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #117 of 161
Quote:

The key point being that he did it for the purpose of annoying people. You know how that is.

If it annoys you, put him on your ignore list so you don't need to view his posts.

I do remember the centered posts, and I never had a problem reading them. Calling him a troll over this is nitpicking. It's like complaining that someone uses comic sans as their font.

Quote:

No, it doesn't, but, for those who come here with their primary purpose to express a "difference of opinion", it does. Just as it would make me a troll if I went to, for example, an Android forum just for the purpose of expressing to them how misguided they were. Context is everything.

Ok, if that's their primary purpose, fine, but a lot of people, myself included, just like talking about this stuff. It might be different for you personally, but there isn't a single person in my life that knows, or would care, about the goings on with Apple lol. Honestly, when rudeness is set aside, some of the best conversations I have about technology in general come from these forums.

AI is unique in that they post news articles that get linked to by google news, and have a common forum layout for discussion. A bit different from your online magazine sites, know what I mean?

Sometimes when I read about something Apple did someplace else, I can come here and see they've posted an article about it, and if I want more info, I can ask and generally get a straight forward answer. Or, if I want to voice my opinion, I can do that as well. My intention isn't to upset anyone.
post #118 of 161
Quote:

Though you appear to completely lack any degree of understanding/rational, obviously rendering you unable to comprehend even the simplest of concepts (the 'dumbest' one could reason)... For the Last Time:

Object in Question = iPad, with EACH referring to 3 individual units of said object (e.g. iPad).

Have A Nice Day.

It is a simple concept you're espousing. Unfortunately it's completely incorrect. In your sentence the word "each" is a pronoun which qualifies the noun (we). You seem to simply be bullheaded about this. And stop blaming the military. I've spent a few years at sub base Bangor, keyport torpedo station and several air force bases in Germany. Vernacular in the military is used to avoid confusion not create it.
post #119 of 161
This is really much closer to a multi-pannel focus group providing feedback on a product.

I don't have a problem with the sample size given what they were attempting to determine. What's not disclosed is:

1. Were the people allowed to use the tablets and answer questions as individuals, or in small groups of _____ people?

2. How were the testers selected?
post #120 of 161
I don't imagine many even know/care what a Galaxy Tab is...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple