or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple pushes Ping with exclusive Michael Jackson song
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple pushes Ping with exclusive Michael Jackson song

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
In a new promotional effort to generate interest for its iTunes Ping music social networking service, Apple has landed an exclusive track from the late pop star Michael Jackson.

The song, from the forthcoming album "Michael," is called "Much Too Soon." The world premiere of the track is available exclusively on Ping, a new social networking service from Apple that allows users to connect with artists and share their iTunes purchasing activities.

The newly released song from the "King of Pop" can be streamed within iTunes by accessing Ping, and navigating to the official Michael Jackson account. It's also a new way for Apple to promote Ping, which garnered over a million users in its first 48 hours, though Apple has not provided an update on the number of accounts since.

The new song from the late artist was written at the time Jackson was working on "Thriller," released in 1982, which went on to become the best-selling album of all time.

"Michael always liked the song but never found the right home for it; here it finds its place as the bittersweet closing to the stellar collection," the official Ping account for Jackson reads. "This song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. David Campbell is featured on the strings."

The album "Michael" features new songs from the late artist. The complete collection of 10 tracks, featuring artists 50 Cent, Akon and Lenny Kravitz, will be released on Dec. 14.



Apple's exclusive Michael Jackson track marks the second major content deal the company has secured in less than a month. In November, Apple began selling the entire catalog of The Beatles through iTunes, the only digital service with the rights to the band's music. Sales of Beatles albums topped 450,000 in the first week.

Ping was launched with the new iTunes 10 in September. The product is based on discovery, allowing users to see what their friends are listening to and what concerts they're going to.

In November, Apple and Twitter announced a strategic alliance that allows users to share music discoveries with their friends through Twitter. Users can advertise their Ping activity, with song previews and links to purchase and download music from the iTunes Store, on their Twitter account.
post #2 of 42
I love the idea of Ping. I signed up the day it was announced, used it for a couple of days. But then my usage went from regular to non-existant. Why? Rarely, did I ever have itunes available to access the content.

If apple wants Ping to become big, they have to PORT IT TO THE INTERNET.

Give me a useable online version. I'll check it just as often as I check facebook!
post #3 of 42
That Michael Jackson song they put up sucked hard core and I actually like Michael Jackson. I just don't like that sappy crappy heal the world type songs he loved to make. *sticks finger down throat to try and throw up*
post #4 of 42
Ping is silly jump-on-the-social-website-bandwagon crap.

Shall I Twitter what I'm listening to? (as if anyone cares) Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails. The Nutcracker Suite by Les Brown.
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Ping is silly jump-on-the-social-website-bandwagon crap.

Shall I Twitter what I'm listening to? (as if anyone cares) Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails. The Nutcracker Suite by Les Brown.

Who cares?
post #6 of 42
You're right. I hate seeing Apple do this type of me too stuff.
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Who cares?

Yes, that's kinda the point. Hmmmph.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #8 of 42
Oh wow John McClain helped with the song? He can fight evil and Produce a song... Now that's talent :P
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That Michael Jackson song they put up sucked hard core and I actually like Michael Jackson. I just don't like that sappy crappy heal the world type songs he loved to make. *sticks finger down throat to try and throw up*

His family has gone on record as saying that most of the songs on the new album "aren't Michael" singing.

He will probably be more popular after his death than before and probably produce more albums after death as well. Hendrix has dozens of albums but I think he only actually put out two while he was alive. Michael Jackson will probably be the same.
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His family has gone on record as saying that most of the songs on the new album "aren't Michael" singing.

He will probably be more popular after his death than before and probably produce more albums after death as well. Hendrix has dozens of albums but I think he only actually put out two while he was alive. Michael Jackson will probably be the same.

The Jackson kids have said at least 3 of the 10. I haven't seen any other numbers related to how many tracks are in question. Sony of course claims it's all Michael. Hendrix had 4 albums released before his death and the first 3 albums released after his death covered a large chunk of the remaining studio work for the double album he had been working on before he died.
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The Jackson kids have said at least 3 of the 10. I haven't seen any other numbers related to how many tracks are in question. Sony of course claims it's all Michael. Hendrix had 4 albums released before his death and the first 3 albums released after his death covered a large chunk of the remaining studio work for the double album he had been working on before he died.

Thanks for the detailed correction. I knew I was right in a general sense anyway.

For Hendrix I was referring to the never ending supply of crappy "Live" albums that came out afterwards, but thankfully almost none of them made the jump to CD anyway. At the time it seemed like anyone who had a tape of Hendrix playing anything, anywhere could get it made into an album.
post #12 of 42
Well to be accurate, "Much Too Soon" isn't exclusive to iTunes. It will be on the CD and other digital music stores. What's exclusive is the pre-release stream of the song.

Personally, I think Ping is pretty cool and use it regularly. I've found a number of songs and even an album that I normally wouldn't have because of it. Yes, it would help its popularity if Ping were on the internet, but Apple has at least also made it available on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. iTunes and iDevices, that's pretty ubiquitous these days. And really, do you need to check Ping more than once a day?
post #13 of 42
I don't get Ping. A music social network? I activated it on my iTunes account, and I don't understand it's purpose. Chat with other people who like music? Talk about music, and songs, and bands? Isn't that general discussion you can have anywhere, with anyone, like on Facebook?

I don't get it and I don't think it will fly long term.
post #14 of 42
Ping, and now Game Center, lose me with their real name requirement.
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Thanks for the detailed correction. I knew I was right in a general sense anyway.

For Hendrix I was referring to the never ending supply of crappy "Live" albums that came out afterwards, but thankfully almost none of them made the jump to CD anyway. At the time it seemed like anyone who had a tape of Hendrix playing anything, anywhere could get it made into an album.

Witness the number of posthumous Tupac albums as well. Hell, Prince has well over 1000 songs in his vault. When he dies, expect his estate to be issuing albums for decades. Not to mention he records every show or at least used to, so live albums could go forever too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well to be accurate, "Much Too Soon" isn't exclusive to iTunes. It will be on the CD and other digital music stores. What's exclusive is the pre-release stream of the song.

It's exclusive now tho, which makes it an accurate statement for the time being. It isn't like they try to hide that it isn't the closing album track.
post #16 of 42
So Michael Jackson is on Ping, and we will get to see what he likes/dislikes?

I downloaded an album Tupac Shakur 'liked' yesterday.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Oh wow John McClain helped with the song? He can fight evil and Produce a song... Now that's talent :P

Yippie ka Yay
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well to be accurate, "Much Too Soon" isn't exclusive to iTunes. It will be on the CD and other digital music stores. What's exclusive is the pre-release stream of the song.

Personally, I think Ping is pretty cool and use it regularly. I've found a number of songs and even an album that I normally wouldn't have because of it. Yes, it would help its popularity if Ping were on the internet, but Apple has at least also made it available on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. iTunes and iDevices, that's pretty ubiquitous these days. And really, do you need to check Ping more than once a day?

Ping is the only thing reeking of FAIL from apple that i can smell....
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



In a new promotional effort to generate interest for its iTunes Ping music social networking service, Apple has landed an exclusive track from the late pop star Michael Jackson.



Were there no non-pedophile partners willing to feed the Apple profit machine?
post #20 of 42
Nice tie-in Apple. A song nobody wants promoting a social network nobody wants.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Ping is silly jump-on-the-social-website-bandwagon crap.

Shall I Twitter what I'm listening to? (as if anyone cares) Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails. The Nutcracker Suite by Les Brown.

Ping? Pong. Meh.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

So Michael Jackson is on Ping, and we will get to see what he likes/dislikes?

I downloaded an album Tupac Shakur 'liked' yesterday.

The live Michael Jackson liked Peter Pan but not sure if it was the Disney version or Mary Martin one.
Not sure what the dead MJ likes.
post #23 of 42
Apple is the rear-end, the bottom of the barrel, the ugly duckling who grew-up to being ugly, the retard of all social media efforts. Apple should "knife this baby" or bring someone on board who gets social media. Ping is a boo boo like no other, and is a sh!t-brown stain on Apple's white shirt.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


Ping is a boo boo like no other, and is a sh!t-brown stain on Apple's white shirt.




The general public has no idea that Ping even exists. It is a tiny stain compared to many of the other recent boners.

How about when they sh!tcanned an app that went on to win a Pulitzer Prize? Many more people know about that one, and compared to some other stuff, it is a minor incident, barely memorable. This stuff is all adding up, maybe not consciously, but in the back of people's minds.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma View Post

Were there no non-pedophile partners willing to feed the Apple profit machine?

Wow, we couldn't even make 20 posts before this shit gets brought up. Not found guilty. This country does believe in innocent until proven guilty you know.
post #26 of 42
I was a bit skeptical when Ping was announced but I signed up anyway and it's been growing on me ever since. Its purpose is not simply to talk about music with your friends (as someone further up the page was suggesting). It serves - I think - as a kind of social recommendation engine for iTunes. Seeing what my friends are buying or "liking" motivates me to check out whatever it is they're listening to. And more often than not, I'll buy it. I buy music much more regularly since signing up to Ping.

I do agree that a web version of Ping would be useful but I think it's unlikely. Surely you'd need a Web friendly version of iTunes too for it to make any sense. In any case, you don't have to use the desktop version of iTunes to access Ping - you can do it on your iPhone.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma View Post

Were there no non-pedophile partners willing to feed the Apple profit machine?

Why does everyone harp on this aspect of Michael Jackson (when it has never been proven to even be true), but you never hear anything about all the rappers that have been sent up for touching little girls? (that there *is* massive evidence of and even a confession or two)

People seem to generally root for the tough guy rappers who do this kind of crap (and worse), but feminine Michael Jackson gets taken to task every time his name is mentioned.

Isn't this kind of quasi-homophobic? The only difference is macho dude vs. effeminate guy and touching little girls instead of little boys. The crime is the same either way.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Why does everyone harp on this aspect of Michael Jackson (when it has never been proven to even be true), but you never hear anything about all the rappers that have been sent up for touching little girls? (that there *is* massive evidence of and even a confession or two)

People seem to generally root for the tough guy rappers who do this kind of crap (and worse), but feminine Michael Jackson gets taken to task every time his name is mentioned.

Isn't this kind of quasi-homophobic? The only difference is macho dude vs. effeminate guy and touching little girls instead of little boys. The crime is the same either way.

Need we mention R Kelly as far as that goes Prof? Not to mention the celebrities of all stripes who are guilty of beating their spouse, shooting people, etc. They still get their millions and fans defend their actions, even when proven guilty.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Need we mention R Kelly as far as that goes Prof? Not to mention the celebrities of all stripes who are guilty of beating their spouse, shooting people, etc. They still get their millions and fans defend their actions, even when proven guilty.

MJ was not proven guilty.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #30 of 42
I've discovered a few forgotten albums through ping, this song is a pleasant enough surprise, although rather bland.

There aren't enough categories you can use in your profile description e.g. heavy metal.

You can't "like" songs that aren't from iTunes, so much for sharing some of my Australian CD's with the world eg ACDC.

Most of my music discovery comes from my car radio using Shazam or soundhound on my iPhone, which keeps a handy list to follow up later.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #31 of 42
Ping might be kind of cool if there was an intuitive way to find my friends on it, other than guessing who might be there, which is kind of creepy and stalker-like.

Really though, Apple should have just bought last.fm and called it a day.
post #32 of 42
Eight-year-olds, Dude.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

MJ was not proven guilty.

Didn't he give some kid with some weird kidney disease "Jesus juice"?

What is the matter with you people? He invited children over and they slept in his bed. Then he paid families off so they'd shut up!
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You can't "like" songs that aren't from iTunes, so much for sharing some of my Australian CD's with the world eg ACDC.

Most of my music discovery comes from my car radio using Shazam or soundhound on my iPhone, which keeps a handy list to follow up later.

If you could "like" a song through Ping that is not available on iTunes how would any of your followers be able to listen to it to know if it is something that interests them too?

People seem to think that Ping is something it is not intended to be. What Ping is all about is helping you discover new iTunes music based on what your friends and favorite artists are listening to. Since iTunes is the biggest seller of music in the USA and it seems many enjoy using it, there is definitely a place for Ping in many people's lives. Yes it needs a bit of refinement and probably some better marketing, but it is only two months old. Give it time.
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Didn't he give some kid with some weird kidney disease "Jesus juice"?

What is the matter with you people? He invited children over and they slept in his bed. Then he paid families off so they'd shut up!

Charges were leveled. They could not be proved for lack of evidence and less than reliable witnesses. Acquitted of all charges. That's as proven innocent as the American legal system allows for. End of story.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Why does everyone harp on this aspect of Michael Jackson (when it has never been proven to even be true), but you never hear anything about all the rappers that have been sent up for touching little girls? (that there *is* massive evidence of and even a confession or two)


In this particular case, it is because Michael Jackson is the pedophile that was chosen by Apple to be their newest money-making venture.

Had Apple chosen a different musical pedophile, it is likely that Michael Jackson't name would never have been brought up.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Oh wow John McClain helped with the song?

Wasn't he in Die Hard?
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma View Post

In this particular case, it is because Michael Jackson is the pedophile that was chosen by Apple to be their newest money-making venture.

Had Apple chosen a different musical pedophile, it is likely that Michael Jackson't name would never have been brought up.

Boy what and odious post...

I sincerely hope you get a taste of your medicine sometime, when someone say might wrongfully accuse you of being a thief, and you get acquitted, and proved not guilty, I would really like it then that everyone calls you a thief...

btw, excellent post from the Prof.
post #39 of 42
If the glove fits!

Now, was that OJ's glove or MJ's

FWIW, Michael was controlled by TPTB. That's why he went through "transformations" (black to white plus major surgery) [wasn't some skin disease], and is also why he got murdered. Yes murdered.

How many people are even aware that Aleister Crowley is on the cover of Dangerous?




post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Boy what and odious post...

I sincerely hope you get a taste of your medicine sometime, when someone say might wrongfully accuse you of being a thief, and you get acquitted, and proved not guilty, I would really like it then that everyone calls you a thief...

btw, excellent post from the Prof.



What's next? Steve and OJ announcing a profitable new venture?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple pushes Ping with exclusive Michael Jackson song