or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple discontinues compact wired keyboard, Hulu Plus claims strong start

Apple discontinues compact wired keyboard, Hulu Plus claims strong start - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The compact wired keyboard never made sense to me. Anyone on a desktop is going to need/want those extra function keys and numeric keypad on the full-size version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Huh, maybe I need to go pick up one of these compact wired keyboards before they disappear.

I never use the numeric keypad and it is nicer to have the pointing device closer to the keyboard. I'm using the compact wireless keyboard and the Magic Trackpad at home. I should grab a wired version and do this at work.

I love this compact KB. I dont have to reach as far to the right for the mouse. When i did had a full size, i used to keep a wireless mouse BELOW the KB. It saves some space too.
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I would love Apple to offer a matching Bluetooth Numeric Pad.

As for your question, most of the time I don't really use my number pad. But when I do, I find separate numeric keypad quite easy if not easier to use.

In addition, the small numeric keypad fits better in my carrying case.

Studies have shown that touch typist, particularly speed typist use the numeric keys on the keyboard and seldom use the number pad. As a matter of fact, all the typing programs that I have used only taught how to type using the main keys on the keyboard.

They'd use the numpad if they were only entering numbers.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I agree for desktops. But then the iPad came along.

I can't understand why anyone would want to plug a wired keyboard into an iPad. The one with the built-in dock connector that recharges your iPad is one thing, but the recently discontinued small wired keyboard did the opposite: it drained your iPad battery. Not only that, but the only way to hook it to an iPad, through the camera connector, is something that Apple doesn't want people doing.

If you want a portable KB for your iPad get the wireless bluetooth one.
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

There is far more content available on hulu plus, which is available on all platforms, not just iPad.

You get what you pay for. Prepare to see less content on free, legal, outlets.

Hulu plus lowered their price to 7.99. And there IS far more content.

My question is, is it apple that is preventing hulu plus from being streamed on the AppleTV? For fear of losing rental revenue from itunes - for their 99 cent tv shows?

It doesn't make sense, since they allow the ipad to have the hulu plus app.

I am paying the 7.99 in hopes that I will be able to either stream directly on the apple tv or using airplay from my ipad.

Else I may as well start saving money......

These companies are all crazy. Money crazy....even the Wall Street Journal app costs more on the ipad than for a regular PRINT and ONLINE subscription.

WHY???

Do they think ipad owners in particular, are stupid? Or all consumers, in general?

Vote with pocketbook, that's all they understand.
post #45 of 62
I signed up for the one week free trial over Thanksgiving weekend to try the recently released PS3 client. I'll be canceling my account before it expires on Friday. The amount of content available to be viewed on devices other than the web is lacking. I wait for the day when "television" is on demand streaming so I can watch it when I want to where I want to (PS3, TV, Mac, insert your device here).
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I can't understand why anyone would want to plug a wired keyboard into an iPad. The one with the built-in dock connector that recharges your iPad is one thing, but the recently discontinued small wired keyboard did the opposite: it drained your iPad battery. Not only that, but the only way to hook it to an iPad, through the camera connector, is something that Apple doesn't want people doing.

If you want a portable KB for your iPad get the wireless bluetooth one.

Uh yeah, that's what I thought I said. A long came the iPad and thus a nice space for the smaller wireless keyboard. Without the iPad and competing only in the desktop space, I would think a full size keyboard would win every time. You lose too much and don't gain much when you opt for the wireless keyboard for your desktop.

It's interesting to hear how many people use Hulu and Netflix. I'm new to Netflix, since buying the iPad. I love being able to watch movies on the big TV or the iPad, having it remember where I left off. Very convenient and priced aggressively. It's strange to scoot right on past Apple's iTunes offerings, straight to Netflix, on an Apple device. Surely they must have known that a $5.99 movie cannot compete with $7.99 unlimited streaming.

I'm glad they threw Netflix in, but it surely has eaten into their sales. On my Apple TV v1, I'd rent movies from time to time out of convenience. Now that's down to zero and Netflix has sucked up that revenue.
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

These companies are all crazy. Money crazy....even the Wall Street Journal app costs more on the ipad than for a regular PRINT and ONLINE subscription.

WHY???

Do they think ipad owners in particular, are stupid? Or all consumers, in general?

Vote with pocketbook, that's all they understand.

I Love the WSJ on the iPad. It's superior to trying to work with that barn door sized paper and clogging the recycle. I did cringe paying for it, but I do enjoy it every day.

I agree with your sentiment, however. We should vote with our pocketbooks. I let them know in a survey that I thought it was too expensive, but I just can't go without my daily WSJ fix.

I bet it drops in price. Ok, I HOPE it drops in price. I'm sure they'd make it up in volume.
post #48 of 62
For me, the major plus of the extended keyboard is the middle section:
  • Full-Size Cursor Keys
  • Page Up
  • Page Down
  • Home
  • End
  • and especially Forward Delete
Those speed me up tremendously, make me waaaay more productive, not needing to use the fn key and search for those functions.

Those are real power keys.
And when i need to do number entry, the keypad is right there.
Oh, also, the "enter" key (vs the return key) is handy in some software.

Quote:

I would love Apple to offer a matching Bluetooth Numeric Pad.

As for your question, most of the time I don't really use my number pad. But when I do, I find separate numeric keypad quite easy if not easier to use.

In addition, the small numeric keypad fits better in my carrying case.

Studies have shown that touch typist, particularly speed typist use the numeric keys on the keyboard and seldom use the number pad. As a matter of fact, all the typing programs that I have used only taught how to type using the main keys on the keyboard.
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

For a mere US 7.99 a month, HuLu Plus is a very good value, and the viewing flexibility it affords is a serious win - IMO.

I looked over the offerings in Hulu Plus. It's a great value if you're into Maud and Reba. LMFAO

Offerings are piss poor.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

2 devices instead of 1? Why doesn't Apple offer the wireless numbered keypad in the first place?

So true, so true.
post #51 of 62
If Hulu Plus was commercial free I would bite at $8.00 however, with commercials it is not worth it to me. Netflix has proven that commercials are not necessary at that price point.....
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Am I the only one who finds the trendoid obsession with wireless devices annoying?

My keyboard sits on my desk, about 45 centimeters from my computer. The only times I've moved it in the past 10 years have involved coffee spills. With the exception of my handheld, the only thing I get out of wireless is annoying disconnects and the opportunity to replace expensive, toxic batteries.

Looks that way. No one was buying the wired version.

I've had my wireless keyboard for almost 4 years and have had none of the problems you mentioned nor have I seen any big outcry of the same. You might have a defective keyboard. While a minor pain, my old keyboard worked fine with rechargeable batteries. I just had to plan ahead of time because my charger would only charge batteries in pairs, the redesigned keyboard solves that problem and makes it really easy to use rechargeables.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #53 of 62
I hope they don't discontinue wired keyboards entirely. I like how they double as USB hubs.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

For me, the major plus of the extended keyboard is the middle section:
  • Full-Size Cursor Keys
  • Page Up
  • Page Down
  • Home
  • End
  • and especially Forward Delete
Those speed me up tremendously, make me waaaay more productive, not needing to use the fn key and search for those functions.

Those are real power keys.
And when i need to do number entry, the keypad is right there.
Oh, also, the "enter" key (vs the return key) is handy in some software.

I gather you never used a laptop.
post #55 of 62
I'm always surprised how people can justify how something that was once free & now requires an expenditure of $8 per month is suddenly a bargain. If Hulu Plus was $4 or $5 dollars & had no commercials at all I'd agree but as it stands now all those buyers of services that were once free are just proving to the networks that we are consumers who have no idea what we're doing & will still support the money hungry exec's that run abc, cbs, fox, etc..

These networks are just double dipping us by charging a monthly fee & still forcing commercials on us. I hope these new subscribers are happy that they proved to the networks what idiots we are.
post #56 of 62
Quote:

I gather you never used a laptop.

I typed this on my laptop a MacBook Pro that has the best laptop keyboard I've ever used and a glass trackpad that continues to amaze me. And now, when I'm using it at my desk, it's connected to a 24" external monitor, an Apple aluminum extended keyboard, and a Logitech laser mouse (mx1000 at home, mx1100 at work). Why? Because I have a desk and can take advantage of that space and freedom for comfort, productivity, usability.

I gather you've never used an extended keyboard, a great mouse, or a 2nd monitor.
post #57 of 62
One other advantage for keeping a wired keyboard, besides the powered USB ports, is the fact that you can boot up in single-user mode.

There may be a way to do it with the wireless keyboard, but I didn't bother trying to find a way. If there is a way, someone spit up the trick! ;-)
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

I typed this on my laptop — a MacBook Pro that has the best laptop keyboard I've ever used and a glass trackpad that continues to amaze me. And now, when I'm using it at my desk, it's connected to a 24" external monitor, an Apple aluminum extended keyboard, and a Logitech laser mouse (mx1000 at home, mx1100 at work). Why? Because I have a desk and can take advantage of that space and freedom for comfort, productivity, usability.

I gather you've never used an extended keyboard, a great mouse, or a 2nd monitor.

Actually, I have 4 monitors on my desk right now (28.5", 24", 20" and my 15" MacBook Pro. Two keyboards-one compact with a separate numeric pad, 2 mouses (MXRevolutions), dual KVM switch using my MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro.

When I travel, I bring along the numeric pad for extended number crunching, however, as a touch typist I can key in at 70-90 words/minute, including numbers.

But thanks for the wake up. As I said before, I always placed my numeric pad to the far right of my setup.

Then I was looking Bluetooth combination when my wife commented, "Why don't you place your numeric pad on the left side of the desk like you do with your phone. That way you can input numbers or answer the phone and still have you right hand free for using your mouse or writing with you pen." And snarly added, "Just like you made me put my phone on the right side of my desk (because she is left-handed)."

Tried it last night and it works beautifully. Now I am off to look at a Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 & Numeric Pad.
post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Am I the only one who finds the trendoid obsession with wireless devices annoying?

My keyboard sits on my desk, about 45 centimeters from my computer. The only times I've moved it in the past 10 years have involved coffee spills. With the exception of my handheld, the only thing I get out of wireless is annoying disconnects and the opportunity to replace expensive, toxic batteries.

The wireless craze is all about less clutter, I for one enjoy not having all the wires running about. The Apple Battery Charger also eliminates the need to dispose of toxic batteries.
post #60 of 62
The wired mini-keyboard is my favorite keyboard of all time.

- I don't use the number pad (and could use a USB one if I did)
- I don't want to crane my wrist over one to switch between keyboard and mouse
- I don't care about a single wire running to my computer
- I don't want to replace batteries, even rechargables
- I don't like Bluetooth keyboard return-from-sleep lag in Windows
- I do like having additional USB ports

I own one at home, and requested another at the office. I may get a couple spares to stick in the closet for the future, as I haven't found a better keyboard before and am not necessarily optimistic about finding one again.
post #61 of 62
I have never used the numpad in my life and I use the mouse & Wacom a lot. The small keyboard brings your hands closer together for a more comfortable keyboard-mouse/Wacom dual operation. My previous favorite was the IBM Space Saver II, but the Apple keyboard is better. Better stock up now, I guess....
post #62 of 62
I never thought I would get one of the teensy wireless keyboards, then I bought a 27" iMac as a second monitor and time machine destination for my laptop. I have an ergo MS keyboard from 1998 (it's been through the dishwasher at least four or five times now) and I loved that keyboard, but I bringing the laptop in and out of that setup with additional wires just doesn't cut it for me.

So after sizing up that wireless and realizing it is exactly the same size as my MBP keyboard, I decided to give it a try. For some reason, maybe because of the bevel on the MBP case, I can get by with the keyboard on the laptop better than I can on the smaller one. It's mostly because I use my pinky fingers to find "home" instead of the nubs on the F and J keys, I guess, and as a sw dev, I use the arrow and "fn" keys *a lot*. Surprisingly, I use the fn key mostly so I can get a true delete key via fn+backspace.

Of course, if I had a real keyboard, I would have a real delete key. And if the arrow keys didn't require a ballpoint pen in order to use them with any precision, I would probably not need the MBP case as a locator for my pinky. Problem solved on both accounts.

Now if they would just make the larger keyboard with wireless. I have to admit that I am quite hooked on it all by now, batteries or not.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple discontinues compact wired keyboard, Hulu Plus claims strong start