or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC echoes Apple in defense of HD7 'death grip' issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC echoes Apple in defense of HD7 'death grip' issue

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
Using language reminiscent of Apple's stance on the iPhone 4 antenna problem, Taiwanese handset maker HTC issued a statement Thursday defending its Windows Phone 7 HD7 smartphone from criticisms that it suffers from weakened signal strength when gripped.

HTC published the statement in response to YouTube videos that depict the newly released HD7 handset losing signal strength when gripped, Computer Weekly reports.

"Quality in industrial design is of key importance to HTC. To ensure the best possible signal strength, antennas are placed in the area least likely to be covered by a person's face or hands while the phone is in use," the statement read.

"However, it is inevitable that a phone's signal strength will weaken a little when covered in its entirety by a user's palm or fingers. We test all of our phones extensively and are confident that under normal circumstances reception strength and performance will be more than sufficient for the operation of the phone when network coverage is also adequate," the statement continued.

Apple found itself the center of a similar controversy this summer after the media picked up reports that the iPhone 4 suffered from a loss of reception when held at the bottom left corner. Dubbed "Antennagate," the controversy came to a head when Consumer Reports rescinded its recommendation of the iPhone 4.

During a July press conference addressing the issue, Apple CEO Steve Jobs called the issue "a challenge for the entire industry," saying that "every phone has weak spots." Jobs then highlighted handsets from other companies, including HTC, that also experience similar antenna issues.

Apple subsequently added a new section to its website, informing consumers of potential signal loss on the iPhone 4. In addition to the iPhone, smartphones from several other makers were highlighted as well, though the references to competitors' phones were eventually removed.

HTC quickly responded, objecting to being specifically called out by Jobs. "The reception problems are certainly not common among smartphones," said HTC Chief Financial Officer Hui-Meng Cheng.
post #2 of 54
HTC-gate! I called it!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 54
Well, well, well...
post #4 of 54
P.S. Let it die already.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #5 of 54
Quote:
HTC quickly responded, objecting to being specifically called out by Jobs. "The reception problems are certainly not common among smartphones," said HTC Chief Financial Officer Hui-Meng Cheng.

Whoops...

Waiting for the media hurricane on this - not going to hold my breath, though.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #6 of 54
The other phone companies were criticizing Apple for its defense, mocking the "all phones suffer this issue" statement. Now the tables have turned.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
post #7 of 54
Where's the dipshit analysts screaming, "ZOMG inevitable massive recall will cost HTC $1.5T!" like they did Apple?
post #8 of 54
HTC: "Free cases for everyone...yes, both of you"
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
post #9 of 54
How ironic… Funny how things work. It's the swing of the pendulum, I guess.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by propellife View Post

Not a huge deal just like I think the Apple thing was overblown. I doubt the media will catch onto this and blow it up big like they did with the Apple problems though.

That's because hating HTC isn't cool.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 54
Nobody gives a $hit about any of HTC's phone issues or other phone manufacturers for that matter. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT APPLE!
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Where's the dipshit analysts screaming, "ZOMG inevitable massive recall will cost HTC $1.5T!" like they did Apple?

Two reasons why no screaming 1. HTC hasn't sold many and 2. They can easily fix the problem with a refreshed model.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 54
Good example of the strength of herds of animals, flocks of birds, or schools of fish. One goes down and the rest just go on. Apple, being a singular product, stumbles and the world holds its breath. HTC gets taken down by wolves and the other 'droids hardly notice. Nor, more importantly, do the customers.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #14 of 54
At least they didn't say the customers are holding it wrong. Honestly haven't really heard anyone complain for a long time, even those who don't use a case.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

network coverage is also adequate," the statement continued.

Very important phrase. It even appeared in the infamous anti-iPhone Consumer Reports article. As with the iPhone 4, the real issue is that your carrier's service blows giant chunks. Not that something is seriously wrong with the design of the device

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #16 of 54
C'mon, they r even copying Apple antenna problem. Does anyone other than Apple have any creativity in the industry? Microsoft probably asked them to copy ALL the features of the iphone.
post #17 of 54
I have an HD7.. it's an awesome phone! I tried gripping the phone like crazy and couldn't get it to lose it's signal completely.... granted I was TRYING to impact performance with the grip and could only affect it a little. The huge 4.3" screen makes it a bigger phone and therefore has a larger circumference to cover with your hand.. although not sure that matters since the antenna is shielded and not on the outside of the phone.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Good example of the strength of herds of animals, flocks of birds, or schools of fish. One goes down and the rest just go on. Apple, being a singular product, stumbles and the world holds its breath. HTC gets taken down by wolves and the other 'droids hardly notice. Nor, more importantly, do the customers.



Interesting. So then do you see Android as having the more robust ecosystem, given the genetic diversity?
post #19 of 54
HTC-GATE.
Wow, HTC went as far as saying that their phones reception is not affected by how you hold their phones. Now HTC is defending their Death Grip issue. What a turn of events.
Perhaps it's time for HTC to give out free cases like Apple did or are they too cheap.


Competion always looks to put salt on the wounds. SHAME ON HTC!!
post #20 of 54


What goes around comes around.....and gets bitten real hard.

Cheers
iMac i7
Reply
iMac i7
Reply
post #21 of 54
The difference is that HTC is the darling of tech bloggers. They can do no wrong. There were actually quite a bunch of issues with the build quality of various HTC handsets, but you don't see tech bloggers writing book-long articles about them. On the other hand, anything Apple did/said is going to be scrutinized two times over as it draws a ton of clicks. So this is probably only going to be an issue for a couple of days, if not less, at best, and everybody will move on.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

The difference is that HTC is the darling of tech bloggers. They can do no wrong. There were actually quite a bunch of issues with the build quality of various HTC handsets, but you don't see tech bloggers writing book-long articles about them. On the other hand, anything Apple did/said is going to be scrutinized two times over as it draws a ton of clicks. So this is probably only going to be an issue for a couple of days, if not less, at best, and everybody will move on.

They are whose darling? The only ones who matter are customers, not a load of web geeks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcolorado View Post

I have an HD7.. it's an awesome phone! I tried gripping the phone like crazy and couldn't get it to lose it's signal completely.... granted I was TRYING to impact performance with the grip and could only affect it a little. The huge 4.3" screen makes it a bigger phone and therefore has a larger circumference to cover with your hand.. although not sure that matters since the antenna is shielded and not on the outside of the phone.

Just like many people here (and elsewhere) said they tried to cause their iPhones to lose antenna signals, but could not.

But the press (and extremely likely commentators like you) completely ignored those reports.
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Whoops...

Waiting for the media hurricane on this - not going to hold my breath, though.

It's good you don't hold your breath, since a windows phone is not important enough to justify any headlines.
post #25 of 54
I demand a hardware recall, a free case, or a credit for my dropped calls! No, I don't own a HTC phone (own iP4), but how many 'antennagate' posters didn't own an iPhone 4 but still felt the need to vent their feigned "frustration." ;-) Yeah, it probably won't make a big media splash because few care when the target is something other than a juicy Apple.
post #26 of 54
These people are desperate! They will copy anything that has 'Apple' on it, even the problematic features!
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #27 of 54
now that apple has done it, having death grip is a cool feature.
post #28 of 54
no one will care. it's not Apple.
post #29 of 54
Even better: Hate To See the same thing happen to our phones
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

HTC-GATE.
Wow, HTC went as far as saying that their phones reception is not affected by how you hold their phones. Now HTC is defending their Death Grip issue. What a turn of events.
Perhaps it's time for HTC to give out free cases like Apple did or are they too cheap.


Competion always looks to put salt on the wounds. SHAME ON HTC!!

You have to understand the original iPhone problem in order to understand this one.

The problem that is (for mobiles) essentially unique to the iPhone 4 (because of the external antenna) is the ability to detune the antenna by simply touching it. This is basically the same issue as when you touch a TV or radio antenna with your hand and it loses signal.

The reason has to do with the antenna being designed in a very specific way to receive and transmit the
required frequencies, and when you touch it you essentially change the properties of the antenna which reduces its ability to receive and transmit on the required frequencies.

The other issue that can occur with any mobile or any transmitting device at all is attenuation, or simply that you can block the signal if you wrap enough material around the antenna.


When Apple started receiving flack for the antenna problem Jobs redefined the problem from being a detuning issue (which was an iPhone issue) to an attenuation issue (which is a problem for any company that makes a transmitting device).

However in most of the competitors comments they are actually talking about the iPhone's detuning, not attenuation.

Apple pushed this home by showing competitor after competitor with attenuation issues... and then started the free case program - which actually fixes the detuning problem!

I think the message that Jobs was trying to put across was that all mobile phones have issues which is actually quite valid. They might be with the screen, the battery, the reception or something else. The important thing was that the positives of the iPhone 4 outweighed the negatives.


So to address your comment directly.

One Cheng didn't say "their phones reception is not affected by how you hold their phones" but that "the reception problems are certainly not common among smart phones" in reference to the iPhone detuning problem.

Two, no HTC will not give out free cases like Apple and it's not because they are cheap. It's because the problem that the HD7 is the same as every other mobile manufacturer and a case won't change anything (it may even hinder the signal more!).

This is distinctly different to the detuning issue the iPhone has with its external antenna, which a case does fix.





You'll notice I tried simply tried to present a description above.

My personal opinion is that the deflection of the issue from Jobs was actually quite a brilliant move, although a little disingenuous and ultimately confusing for iPhone owners.

I believe the free case program was the correct way to handle the issue. From all accounts users need to be in a susceptible area (which are not widespread) for detuning to have any effect. A recall would have been taking it too far, and simply not doing anything wouldn't have been enough.

Although the free case program has finished I still don't see the antenna detuning to be a major issue. As Jobs said the iPhone isn't perfect. It's a flawed device (as are all mobile phones in one way or another). The iPhone 4 is actually in a better position in some respects because the issue can be simply fixed by purchasing a case.

I think every iPhone owner should have a anyway. The hardened glass is great for scratches, but it really feels like it's going to shatter if dropped.
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

The other phone companies were criticizing Apple for its defense, mocking the "all phones suffer this issue" statement. Now the tables have turned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Where's the dipshit analysts screaming, "ZOMG inevitable massive recall will cost HTC $1.5T!" like they did Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZu View Post

C'mon, they r even copying Apple antenna problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiced View Post

What goes around comes around.....and gets bitten real hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post

I demand a hardware recall, a free case, or a credit for my dropped calls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Even better: Hate To See the same thing happen to our phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

now that apple has done it, having death grip is a cool feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

These people are desperate! They will copy anything that has 'Apple' on it, even the problematic features!

See my post above.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by propellife View Post

Not a huge deal just like I think the Apple thing was overblown. I doubt the media will catch onto this and blow it up big like they did with the Apple problems though.

The media AND Ireland
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

You have to understand the original iPhone problem in order to understand this one.

The problem that is (for mobiles) essentially unique to the iPhone 4 ...

A lot of meaningless blather that adds up to a great effort to establish a distinction where there is no difference. The only thing that matters to the user is whether there is signal loss, not what causes it. So, unless you can show that it's a qualitatively different signal loss -- which it is not -- you're just spouting nonsense.
post #34 of 54
All rubbish, I can clench my fist around my cars FM antenna and IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

This "detuning" bulldust is a MYTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

You have to understand the original iPhone problem in order to understand this one.

The problem that is (for mobiles) essentially unique to the iPhone 4 (because of the external antenna) is the ability to detune the antenna by simply touching it. This is basically the same issue as when you touch a TV or radio antenna with your hand and it loses signal...

...blah, blah, blah.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Well, well, well...

Forget about it. HTC will get a get-out-of-jail-free card on this. Only Apple gets raked over the coals for stuff like this. Just ask Ireland.
post #36 of 54
You could ask DaHarder, he's probably got six of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Forget about it. HTC will get a get-out-of-jail-free card on this. Only Apple gets raked over the coals for stuff like this. Just ask Ireland.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #37 of 54
Windows Phone death grip! LOL. Where are all the Microsoft drones? LOL.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Waiting for the media hurricane on this - not going to hold my breath, though.

I'm looking forward to the scathing commentary from ConsumerReports.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

All rubbish, I can clench my fist around my cars FM antenna and IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

This "detuning" bulldust is a MYTH!

You should only see it in areas of poorer reception.

Try this one. Get in a clear area and find the maximum distance that you can operate the key-less entry on your car.

Take a few more steps back, press the key against your chin, try again and... voilÃ*!

That's science hard at work my friend.
post #40 of 54
Everyone just keeps on following Apple's lead.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC echoes Apple in defense of HD7 'death grip' issue