or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Acclaimed architect Norman Foster to build Apple's new campus

Acclaimed architect Norman Foster to build Apple's new campus

post #1 of 89
Apple reportedly plans to incorporate its newly acquired 98-acre parcel in Cupertino, Calif., into a new corporate headquarters designed by famed architect Norman Foster.

According to El Economista (via Google Translate), the new "City of Apple" will become the future headquarters of the company. A main focus of the campus will be the environment, as the property will allegedly rely on renewable energy.

The report said that the new "city" will be modeled after innovations planned for the car-free city Masdar in Abu Dhabi. That city, currently under construction, is a carbon-neutral project in which Foster is also involved.

The publication also said that transit on Apple's new headquarters will be accomplished through a network of tunnels, allowing the surface areas to remain green.

"The City of Apple is one of the best kept secrets of the company," the report said. "It could be compared with the launch of [a] new iPhone or iPad."

In November it was revealed that Apple had purchased a 98 acre campus vacated by rival PC maker Hewlett-Packard. That property is adjacent to another 50 acres the company purchased in 2006.

30 St. Mary Axe in London, designed by Norman Foster.

Apple has not formally announced its plans for the new property in Cupertino, though the company spokesman Steve Dowling said Apple is "bursting at the seams" in its existing 57 buildings. The company has only started to use some of the existing buildings on the 50-acre purchase from 2006.

Foster is a 75-year-old British architect, and two-time winner of the Stirling Prize for excellence in architecture. With his firm Foster + Partners, he has created some of the most recognizable buildings in the world, including the Hearst Tower in New York City, and 30 St. Mary Axe in London.
post #2 of 89
This is good news. Foster is a great architect. The Hearst building in NYC is some of the best architecture in the city and it is my favorite building ever.

post #3 of 89
Maybe this is why AAPL is close to 322!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #4 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungamunji View Post

This is good news. Foster is a great architect. The Hearst building in NYC is some of the best architecture in the city and it is my favorite building ever.

Great looking building. I assume it folds up at night when not in use
post #5 of 89
The concept has a ring of Disney about it, especially the subterranean access and emphasis on the looks above ground. I wonder if there will be a public element to this. It would be nice to visit Apple City, maybe a ride or two for us big kids
post #6 of 89
Such a shame that a company of the future choses an architect from the past. BTW it's not very likely that Sir Norman himself will make the design or be even responsible for the design...
post #7 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The concept has a ring of Disney about it, especially the subterranean access and emphasis on the looks above ground. I wonder if there will be a public element to this. It would be nice to visit Apple City, maybe a ride or two for us big kids

It would be like when Bart Simpson's class took a tour of the box factory, only cool.
post #8 of 89
Foster and Partners have done work in practically every large City in the world. They've even done work in Omaha, NE where I live. They did a structure on the Joslyn Museam.

Definitely architecture that stands out(in a good way).
2010 17" MBP and many i devices.

Former Owner of multiple generations of Mac's all the way back to the Performa 6400.
2010 17" MBP and many i devices.

Former Owner of multiple generations of Mac's all the way back to the Performa 6400.
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Buijsen View Post

Such a shame that a company of the future choses an architect from the past. BTW it's not very likely that Sir Norman himself will make the design or be even responsible for the design...

Doesn't your second sentence kind of undermine the first sentence?
post #10 of 89
Quote:

Who would you select then? Is he from the past merely because he is 75?
post #11 of 89
Quote:

Now that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Foster and Partners are the most famous architectural consultancy in the world, the team haven't developed for every major city in the world for nothing. "Architect from the past" - hilarious. You might like to check out some of their architecture "from the past" here - http://www.fosterandpartners.com/
post #12 of 89
Quote:

In what way is Norman Foster from the past? Does his age alone or his recent work suggest this?
post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Who would you select then? Is he from the past merely because he is 75?

That makes him, you know, practically dead. I'm just thankful they didn't choose Frank Gehry, who would have given them something bizarre and over-budget. They also could have selected IM Pei, whose work I suspect Steve admires. He is over 90. Working with him would have made Steve feel like a young sprout.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #14 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That makes him, you know, practically dead. I'm just thankful they didn't choose Frank Gehry, who would have given them something bizarre and over-budget. They also could have selected IM Pei, whose work I suspect Steve admires. He is over 90. Working with him would have made Steve feel like a young sprout.

Yeah who ever is the lead architect on this will have a lot of "fun" working with Steve. I.M. Pei and Russell Johnson famously butted heads over the design and acoustic engineering of the Meyerson Symphony hall in Dallas. Both were very strong willed and were unwilling to compromise. Somehow they worked it out because the building is beautiful and has some of the best acoustic properties of any concert hall in the world.

I imagine Jobs and "Architect X" will have a few disagreements.
post #15 of 89
One thing this article neglects to discuss is Apple's plans for Area 51, which they quietly, recently acquired from the government. It's not clear if they also acquired all the "technology" from Area 51, too, but some analysts expect that iPhone 6 may support personal teleportation services as part of an enhanced version of FaceTime.
post #16 of 89
Quote:

Yeah who ever is the lead architect on this will have a lot of "fun" working with Steve. I.M. Pei and Russell Johnson famously butted heads over the design and acoustic engineering of the Meyerson Symphony hall in Dallas. Both were very strong willed and were unwilling to compromise. Somehow they worked it out because the building is beautiful and has some of the best acoustic properties of any concert hall in the world.

IM Pei is completely form over function. Thank God Lord Foster's apparently been tipped for this and not that hack.
post #17 of 89
Sweet! Looking at that map, Im thinking that 1 Pruneridge Drive has a much better ring to it than 1 Infinite Loop.

(Or theyll just turn Infinite Loop into one of those crazy streets in two parts that dont connect.)

I like the all-green idea, but if I worked there, Id enjoy stepping outside between buildings more than going through tunnels.
post #18 of 89
Quote:

Besides being a first-order aesthete where his products are concerned, Steve does fancy himself as being knowledgable on the subject of architecture. Given the size of the project, I suspect that the lead architectural firm will design something on the order of a master plan, with the details filled in by others.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #19 of 89
In a related development, Apple has figured out what to do with their billions of dollars of cash.
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

(Or they’ll just turn Infinite Loop into one of those crazy streets in two parts that don’t connect.)

New address: 1 Mobius Strip.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One thing this article neglects to discuss is Apple's plans for Area 51, which they quietly, recently acquired from the government. It's not clear if they also acquired all the "technology" from Area 51, too, but some analysts expect that iPhone 6 may support personal teleportation services as part of an enhanced version of FaceTime.

I thought Apple IS the government..???
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

New address: 1 Mobius Strip.

That's certainly a new (old) twist.
ADS
ADS
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The Disney feel struck me immediately too and made me smile given Jobs role at Disney itself. Apple is one of the few business entities carrying the design world utopia banner that had been Walts way back in the early sixties. My young mind really latched onto those images but it all fizzled in the low-brow, oil crisis, downer seventies ... Still, this should be a beautiful project, pleasant place to work and hopefully an renewable energy showcase.

One thing for sure, in Redmond, Microsoft has made very mediocre architectural choices at their ballooning campus over the years and they never appeared to have a master plan. They probably do but one would never know from looking. Recent buildings make nods to Northwest ski lodge aesthetics with faux stonework veneers and such, still blah. A few years back they started their own regional transit service that ferries workers to the campus in variously sized highly wired buses from wherever they live. That last one is their single best urban design move.
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

IM Pei is completely form over function. Thank God Lord Foster's apparently been tipped for this and not that hack.

There is a place for form over function, but in this case a balance was reached. Russell Johnson was a brilliant acoustic engineer and designer. Read a little about the Meyerson and you will see what I mean. As for Pei's work the building is nice and it functions as a concert hall so I don't see your point.
post #25 of 89
While I really like Foster's stuff, it seems like a very odd selection for Apple. Cupertino isn't exactly a high-rise town, and their iconic achievements are much more in that arena.

(Well, after looking at the Madrid High Court campus, I guess I should eat those words. Beautiful building.)
post #26 of 89
most of fosters work is 'bucky fuller builds a green house'
post #27 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

While I really like Foster's stuff, it seems like a very odd selection for Apple. Cupertino isn't exactly a high-rise town, and their iconic achievements are much more in that arena.

foster appears to give no consideration to the location and how his design integrates or not. look at some of those grotesque things he has planted. no sense of nature.

actually i think he is a good fit for apple.
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

most of fosters work is 'bucky fuller builds a green house'

so? Buckminster Fuller had the most "Think Different" style architecture of his time, and Apple seems to like Glass houses, no?

Foster is a great choice. i hope our firm can pick up the construction documents for them.
post #29 of 89
I was hoping for Santiago Calatrava. His aesthetic IMHO is more inline with Apple's.
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/

Beautiful architecture but their website uses Flash - I'm sure Apple will 'fix that issue' for them whilst the new HQ takes shape!
post #31 of 89
What Tunnel? Underground Tunnel going between New and Old Campus? Or do tunnel means different thing in this context?
post #32 of 89
What happens inside a building is what matters. Outside is irrelevant.
post #33 of 89
(Well, after looking at the Madrid High Court campus, I guess I should eat those words. Beautiful building.)[/QUOTE]

Compare building skin to the Seattle Central Library by REM Koolhaas ... a wonderful forward looking building that is also highly functional and humanistic ...

Actually, with a name like that, I wonder if Koolhaas was on the shortlist.
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In what way is Norman Foster from the past? Does his age alone or his recent work suggest this?

He thinks it's Norman Rockwell. Or...he doesn't trust anybody over 30.
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Sweet! Looking at that map, Im thinking that 1 Pruneridge Drive has a much better ring to it than 1 Infinite Loop.

(Or theyll just turn Infinite Loop into one of those crazy streets in two parts that dont connect.)

I like the all-green idea, but if I worked there, Id enjoy stepping outside between buildings more than going through tunnels.

Just make the parking garages under ground. I hate how large parking lots ruin great architecture and landscaping.
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

What Tunnel? Underground Tunnel going between New and Old Campus? Or do tunnel means different thing in this context?

from 9to5mac
"The architect has some pretty incredible plans, including an underground tunnel system linking the two campuses (called it). In fact, the entire road transportation system will operate through a network of tunnels (tubes?) that will clear the surface areas for green. according to the report."
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It would be like when Bart Simpson's class took a tour of the box factory, only cool.

I want to go to the "Build Your Own Mac Pro" exhibit!! Can we, please?? I'll even buy the over-priced hotdogs and bottled water!
post #38 of 89
Quote:

Such a shame that a company of the future choses an architect from the past.

Just as they've used an operating system from the past (UNIX) to make great products for now and the future.
post #39 of 89
i usually can't stand the people who nit-pick the grammar of stories here, but as an architect i know for certain that Foster + Partners are not BUILDING the campus - they're designing it, so this headline is wrong.

may seem like a little thing, but it's as big as "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China"
post #40 of 89
Quote:

Yes, because that's the sign of a true creative process that people actually care about. Can't wait to see the outcome.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Acclaimed architect Norman Foster to build Apple's new campus