or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces Nexus S smartphone with 'Gingerbread' Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google announces Nexus S smartphone with 'Gingerbread' Android

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Google on Monday unveiled the Nexus S smartphone from Samsung, its second flagship Android device it hopes will take on Apple's iPhone, with a unique curved screen and integrated near-field communications technology.

The Nexus S features a 4-inch AMOLED screen with a 480-by-800-pixel display on a unique "contour display," with curved glass. It also has forward- and back-facing cameras, a 1GHz Cortex A8 processor, and 16GB of flash memory.

As was previously rumored, the Nexus S will also include an integrated near-field communications chip, which allows for short-range wireless data transmission for activities like an "e-wallet."

"Nexus S is the lead device for the Gingerbread/Android 2.3 release; its the first Android device to ship with the new version of the Android platform," said Andy Rubin, vice president of engineering at Google. "We co-developed this product with Samsungensuring tight integration of hardware and software to highlight the latest advancements of the Android platform.

"As part of the Nexus brand, Nexus S delivers what we call a 'pure Google' experience: unlocked, unfiltered access to the best Google mobile services and the latest and greatest Android releases and updates."

The Nexus S will be available unlocked for $529, or $199 with a two-year T-Mobile service plan in the U.S. It will be sold in Best Buy stores across America after Dec. 16, and Carphone Warehouse stores in the U.K. after Dec. 20.



Early this year, Google released the Nexus One smartphone, a device branded by Google and manufactured by HTC. The device was eventually canceled,in April, citing "amazing innovation" in competing smartphones that run the Android mobile operating system.

The Nexus One was also cited in Apple's lawsuit against HTC. It, along with other Android phones like the myTouch 3G and Droid Eris, were accused of violating Apple's patents related to the iPhone.
post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google on Monday unveiled the Nexus S smartphone from Samsung, its second flagship Android device it hopes will take on Apple's iPhone, with a unique curved screen and integrated near-field communications technology.

The Nexus S features a 4-inch AMOLED screen with a 480-by-800-pixel display on a unique "contour display," with curved glass. It also has forward- and back-facing cameras, a 1GHz Cortex A8 processor, and 16GB of flash memory.

As was previously rumored, the Nexus S will also include an integrated near-field communications chip, which allows for short-range wireless data transmission for activities like an "e-wallet."

"Nexus S is the lead device for the Gingerbread/Android 2.3 release; its the first Android device to ship with the new version of the Android platform," said Andy Rubin, vice president of engineering at Google. "We co-developed this product with Samsungensuring tight integration of hardware and software to highlight the latest advancements of the Android platform.

"As part of the Nexus brand, Nexus S delivers what we call a 'pure Google' experience: unlocked, unfiltered access to the best Google mobile services and the latest and greatest Android releases and updates."

The Nexus S will be available unlocked for $529, or $199 with a two-year T-Mobile service plan in the U.S. It will be sold in Best Buy stores across America after Dec. 16, and Carphone Warehouse stores in the U.K. after Dec. 20.



Early this year, Google released the Nexus One smartphone, a device branded by Google and manufactured by HTC. The device was eventually canceled ,a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/26/google_cancels_verizon_nexus_one_blackberry_6_comi ng_q3_2010.html">in April, citing "amazing innovation" in competing smartphones that run the Android mobile operating system.

The Nexus One was also cited in Apple's lawsuit against HTC. It, along with other Android phones like the myTouch 3G and Droid Eris, were accused of violating Apple's patents related to the iPhone.

Not sure why but this video is hard for me to watch, very disorienting.
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"As part of the Nexus brand, Nexus S delivers what we call a 'pure Google' experience: unlocked, unfiltered access to the best Google mobile services and the latest and greatest Android releases and updates."

This needs to happen a lot more often. All the manufacturers release phones with stock Android installed and their custom UIs as a separate package. Give us the pure OS so it can be updated easily and quickly across the board and let us decide how we want to change the UI.

Quote:
The Nexus One was also cited in Apple's lawsuit against HTC. It, along with other Android phones like the myTouch 3G and Droid Eris, were accused of violating Apple's patents related to the iPhone.

Couldn't leave without getting a parting shot in there eh?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #4 of 43
while you might think i would jump all over this with android ferver.....i have to ask, what is apple related about this?
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Not sure why but this video is hard for me to watch, very disorienting.

Agreed, but in a couple of instances, it made me chuckle like the shoes that looked like they were floating on top of people, until it was revealed that they were just very big shoes!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

while you might think i would jump all over this with android ferver.....i have to ask, what is apple related about this?

You have to wait for the outcome of Apple's lawsuit to determine just what Appleness is in Android that violates Apple's patents.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You have to wait for the outcome of Apple's lawsuit to determine just what Appleness is in Android that violates Apple's patents.

And which decade will it be when we finally hear of a resolution?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #8 of 43
If the Rumor is true. That Verizon is trying to compensate Apple with bringing the iPhone to Verizon but not to Sprint and T-Mobile. I think this would have had something to do with it.

This new phone with the new OS, you kinda think Verizon got a little angry because it was not them first out of the gate with this.

Honeymoon must be over.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You have to wait for the outcome of Apple's lawsuit to determine just what Appleness is in Android that violates Apple's patents.

ah. yes.
but i am not liking the housing. plasticy cheap and not that svelt looking.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Not sure why but this video is hard for me to watch, very disorienting.

That video made me dizzy. I could tell if the video was about the phone or shoes!
post #11 of 43
is this an advertisement for shoes?
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

This needs to happen a lot more often. All the manufacturers release phones with stock Android installed and their custom UIs as a separate package. Give us the pure OS so it can be updated easily and quickly across the board and let us decide how we want to change the UI.

What what part of that model makes that attractive for any handset manufacturer trying to differentiate itself from its competition?
That's the Achilles heel of Android... the more handset makers customize, the more fractured the platform becomes as a whole. The less they customize, the more price becomes their only competitive tool and the race is on to the bottom.
post #13 of 43
Yeah, flatness and orthogonality are overrated, but then so is contiguity -- I look forward to the Nexus PoP (short for pile-of-pixels), because you should be able to organize your touchscreen into any geometry you like
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

What what part of that model makes that attractive for any handset manufacturer trying to differentiate itself from its competition?
That's the Achilles heel of Android... the more handset makers customize, the more fractured the platform becomes as a whole. The less they customize, the more price becomes their only competitive tool and the race is on to the bottom.

Which is why I said to include it as a separate, exclusive item to install. If we want to use HTC's Sense or Motorola's BLUR to Samsung's TouchWiz, we have the option to turn it on. If not, it'll be stock Android. This way, the core of Android can be updated across the board and the only thing that manufacturers will be responsible for is updating their themes.

As it is, all Android phones can use a home launcher replacement app from the Market to essentially bypass these UIs. A lot of them are very well made and gives cross-device features. For example, my launcher allows my DX to have the same "pinch to reveal previews" gesture that's exclusive to HTC's Sense.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We co-developed this product with Samsungensuring tight integration of hardware and software to highlight the latest advancements of the Android platform.

I bet HTC, Motorola, LG etc. are just thrilled at playing second fiddle to Samsung. I wonder how long before they get fed up with Google using them ... after all, the handset makers get none of Google's ad revenue, lots of cut throat competition from the other Android phones, and are always going to be one OS version behind Google's own phone. Very appealing.
post #16 of 43
is the LED screen curved or just the glass covering it?
post #17 of 43
No offense, but what do the French know about le smart phones or le Social Network, or le technology? <Throw shoes now!>

The "Ya Ya", Oui Oui" French music, with the dizzying feet and shoes does nothing, but distract us from the fact that this phone does nothing new.
"Duh. I want the phone I saw on TV with all the shoes and the French music!"
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

I bet HTC, Motorola, LG etc. are just thrilled at playing second fiddle to Samsung. I wonder how long before they get fed up with Google using them ... after all, the handset makers get none of Google's ad revenue, lots of cut throat competition from the other Android phones, and are always going to be one OS version behind Google's own phone. Very appealing.

Google takes turns working with each manufacturer to push out a device then moves onto the next one.

And in the case with Motorola, if they didn't get Android, they wouldn't be around anymore. i'm sure they're very pleased with Google
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Which is why I said to include it as a separate, exclusive item to install. If we want to use HTC's Sense or Motorola's BLUR to Samsung's TouchWiz, we have the option to turn it on. If not, it'll be stock Android. This way, the core of Android can be updated across the board and the only thing that manufacturers will be responsible for is updating their themes.

As it is, all Android phones can use a home launcher replacement app from the Market to essentially bypass these UIs. A lot of them are very well made and gives cross-device features. For example, my launcher allows my DX to have the same "pinch to reveal previews" gesture that's exclusive to HTC's Sense.

While there is nothing wrong with what you want, it will doom android to a niche in the market. Most people will hear the phrase "use a home launcher replacement app from the market to essentially bypass a manufactures UI" and head for the iPhone.
post #20 of 43
Didn't care much for the video, but I thought the phone seemed to have a few nice features. No complaints here.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

I bet HTC, Motorola, LG etc. are just thrilled at playing second fiddle to Samsung. I wonder how long before they get fed up with Google using them ... after all, the handset makers get none of Google's ad revenue, lots of cut throat competition from the other Android phones, and are always going to be one OS version behind Google's own phone. Very appealing.

The manufacturers are behind because they choose to be. Google supplies the base source code, the only thing manufacturers would TECHNICALLY need to do is maybe write drivers for their hardware and utilize new OS features.

Many manufacturers try to "differentiate" themselves by putting their custom software and UI skin on the OS. This is what bogs down the time it takes to go from source code to release. Modders on XDA move faster than some of these OEMs and that is pretty sad.

With that said i'm half tempted to buy this device (or the PSPhone, or Tegra 2 device) simply because i know it will be updated to the latest and greatest and unmolested. My Vibrant is essentially the same as this phone, but my Vibrant would still be lacking Froyo if it were not for me rooting my device and installing a custom ROM.
post #22 of 43
Apparently it's the anti-WP7: get in, stay in, goodnight.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #23 of 43
I enjoyed the ad -- cute and well thought out.

The downside: it was so cute and visually distracting that you really had to pay attention to determine how the phone was of benefit.

The only part that looked really fake was near the end with the constellations -- when the phone was moved the sky didn't move.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

No offense, — but what do the French know about le smart phones or le Social Network, or le technology? <Throw shoes now!>

The "Ya Ya", Oui Oui" French music, with the dizzying feet and shoes does nothing, but distract us from the fact that this phone does nothing new.
"Duh. I want the phone I saw on TV with all the shoes and the French music!"


my take on the ad: shoes are a big form of self-expression, individuality and personal style.

Also, the ad's direction hits a different market segment that might unrelate to past sci-fi and tech focused campaigns with terms like 'Android' and 'Droid' paired with a green robot.

In short, it presents the phone with a different message.


wow, my eyes are still dizzy
post #25 of 43
Nexus experience, I think, is the best in the android universe. If I were to make a transition over to the dark side I would get this phone. All the crap carriers put on top of android is unnecessary and stupid, and I am happy ATT was not allowed to do that with the iPhone. And hopefully iPhone will stay crap ware free on Verizon as well.

BTW Apple, I would like to have Maps.app update some time soon to bring it up to speed with the one on Android. Navigation without paying 200 for tom tom app and stand is pretty awesome.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #26 of 43
Is it me or is the video whack? It's hard to keep focussed on it and even understand it at times. But then, it's meant for the Android population. So I guess it's okay

I hope Google gives up on Nexus phones if this one flops.
post #27 of 43
I think the commercial and phone look great. Even though I think there's too much motion, the video looks a bit Michel Gondry-esque. That phone actually looks like the design of the rumored iP4 that was floating around before the iP4 debuted. I love that design. The UI also looks slick. Hate the music ...

I hope the future iPhone and its UI look like that.



.
post #28 of 43
PeterO: Yeah I tend to agree, it does try to target an 'indie' audience with the music and the shoes and the general grungy/trendster feel. The problem is that Apple already does this. It took too many leads from Apple with the music, fashion, general feel plus the whitespace floaty shot at the end. Even their signoff at the end was Apple. I know they're trying to compete, but pulling a MS isn't the way to do it.

I *love* the translation technology they showed for about .3 of a second by the way, that's a really neat feature. But this ad needs to be greatly simplified, and show more of the phone, rather than feet. I got dizzy and had to turn down the volume. Generally I thought it was very confusing.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I think the commercial and phone look great. Even though I think there's too much motion, the video looks a bit Michel Gondry-esque.

Thought the same thing.


Quote:
That phone actually looks like the design of the rumored iP4 that was floating around before the iP4 debuted. I love that design. The UI also looks slick. Hate the music ...

I hope future iPhones and its UI look like that...

I wouldn't mind the iPhone borrowing some notification and home screen mojo from Android (or roll their own, just make it better), but I'm not seeing what about the phone design itself is particularly appealing. It's not bad, just nothing special-- another black plastic slab with a screen.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #30 of 43
It seems Google has dropped SD expansion and gone for 16GB memory instead. About a year ago they said they would solve the DRM/malware problem of nonsecure memory expansion via SD in the OS (by encrypting the SD). Probably did not work out.

Confirmed from Google's comparison page: Removable storage: None
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

while you might think i would jump all over this with android ferver.....i have to ask, what is apple related about this?


I think maybe the Nexus (pun most certainly intended) between Apple and Google is that Google is trying to kill the iPhone.
post #32 of 43
I stay with Apple because I feel those non-Apple vendors are deceptive. Jobs is straight forward. Apple show you every thing that is available including numbers. This video is just a TV ad.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

It seems Google has dropped SD expansion and gone for 16GB memory instead. About a year ago they said they would solve the DRM/malware problem of nonsecure memory expansion via SD in the OS (by encrypting the SD). Probably did not work out.

Confirmed from Google's comparison page: Removable storage: None

its still a part of the sdk (which you can download and play around with gingerbread if you like) so it may be available on other platforms. i really dont' like that limitation if thats the case (16g)
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google on Monday unveiled the Nexus S smartphone from Samsung, its second flagship Android device it hopes will take on Apple's iPhone, with a unique curved screen and integrated near-field communications technology.

The Nexus S features a 4-inch AMOLED screen with a 480-by-800-pixel display on a unique "contour display," with curved glass. It also has forward- and back-facing cameras, a 1GHz Cortex A8 processor, and 16GB of flash memory.

As was previously rumored, the Nexus S will also include an integrated near-field communications chip, which allows for short-range wireless data transmission for activities like an "e-wallet."

"Nexus S is the lead device for the Gingerbread/Android 2.3 release; its the first Android device to ship with the new version of the Android platform," said Andy Rubin, vice president of engineering at Google. "We co-developed this product with Samsungensuring tight integration of hardware and software to highlight the latest advancements of the Android platform.

"As part of the Nexus brand, Nexus S delivers what we call a 'pure Google' experience: unlocked, unfiltered access to the best Google mobile services and the latest and greatest Android releases and updates."

The Nexus S will be available unlocked for $529, or $199 with a two-year T-Mobile service plan in the U.S. It will be sold in Best Buy stores across America after Dec. 16, and Carphone Warehouse stores in the U.K. after Dec. 20.



Early this year, Google released the Nexus One smartphone, a device branded by Google and manufactured by HTC. The device was eventually canceled,in April, citing "amazing innovation" in competing smartphones that run the Android mobile operating system.

The Nexus One was also cited in Apple's lawsuit against HTC. It, along with other Android phones like the myTouch 3G and Droid Eris, were accused of violating Apple's patents related to the iPhone.

Why Samsung? I just don't get it.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Which is why I said to include it as a separate, exclusive item to install. If we want to use HTC's Sense or Motorola's BLUR to Samsung's TouchWiz, we have the option to turn it on. If not, it'll be stock Android. This way, the core of Android can be updated across the board and the only thing that manufacturers will be responsible for is updating their themes.

As it is, all Android phones can use a home launcher replacement app from the Market to essentially bypass these UIs. A lot of them are very well made and gives cross-device features. For example, my launcher allows my DX to have the same "pinch to reveal previews" gesture that's exclusive to HTC's Sense.

Again, the manufacturers have zero reason to allow even that. Why would they provide a means of defeating their only differentiation?
post #36 of 43
That video got me dizzy and nauseous.
post #37 of 43
Too...many...shoes...
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

While there is nothing wrong with what you want, it will doom android to a niche in the market. Most people will hear the phrase "use a home launcher replacement app from the market to essentially bypass a manufactures UI" and head for the iPhone.

No one said they are required to use the launcher replacement app from the Market. Those are just options in addition to the stock and customized UIs available to the user if they want to use it. It's no different than right now. It's like a car where you get the default styling made by the manufacturer, but you have the option to go third-party for modifications if you so choose to.

You seem to be missing my thought. What I would like to see is the manufacturers break their custom UI out from Android's core (much like what Google's doing with the various native apps). That way, it'll be much easier for Android's core to get updated when the time comes. And the UI won't be holding back the updates like it is today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Again, the manufacturers have zero reason to allow even that. Why would they provide a means of defeating their only differentiation?

Thing is, a lot of people like the custom UIs the manufacturers produce over stock, even when given the choice. I do agree that realistically, the manufacturers won't do what I described.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #39 of 43
It looks like a homage to WP7 design.

Apple is going one way in design with buttonized and textured everything (they love that felt and woodgrain look!) and Google is going the other way toward a more "computerized" WP7 look.

It's good. At least everything is going to look a bit different.
post #40 of 43
No HSPA+
No 720p video recording
No SD card
FAIL!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces Nexus S smartphone with 'Gingerbread' Android