or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google VP shows off prototype Android-based Motorola tablet

Google VP shows off prototype Android-based Motorola tablet - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

It looks like there are no buttons in the physical sense (capacitive maybe?). There's a point where the camera's looking over Rubin's shoulder (roughly the 4:00 mark) and you can see what looks like four white icons glowing on the bottom left corner that doesn't look to be part of the screen. After a while, they stop glowing and the area goes dark. And right after, the screen itself dims.

Did we watch the same video? There were no physical or capacitive 4 buttons on the device. The Home, Menu, and Back buttons follow you within the OS' UI depending on orientation. Rubin says as much when the woman asks. This makes perfect sense as if they had a fixed position on the device, you'd be forced to hold it in a certain way (e.g. upside down portrait would be wrong). Not to mention stretching to reach them when in Landscape would get irritating, or when they face your non dominant hand. The search button isn't needed as it has the real estate to just display the search bar all the time, unlike a phone, which is why there were only three.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

Did we watch the same video? There were no physical or capacitive 4 buttons on the device. The Home, Menu, and Back buttons follow you within the OS' UI depending on orientation. Rubin says as much when the woman asks. This makes perfect sense as if they had a fixed position on the device, you'd be forced to hold it in a certain way (e.g. upside down portrait would be wrong). Not to mention stretching to reach them when in Landscape would get irritating, or when they face your non dominant hand. The search button isn't needed as it has the real estate to just display the search bar all the time, unlike a phone, which is why there were only three.

Yeah, I just watched it again and realized that it was on-screen buttons. Seemed like capacitive from a distance.

I stand corrected.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #83 of 84
Is it me, or is Andy Rubin's finger waaaaay bigger than those icons?
post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

I have an iPhone 4. I'm interested in getting an Android phone to replace my 4. However, I will never switch to an Android phone unless I can upgrade my Android OS like I can do with my iPhone. I think it is very poor form on Google's part to make me have to get a new phone to have the latest version of the Android OS. Just stupid.

And replacing an iPhone 4 with an android isn't stupid?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google VP shows off prototype Android-based Motorola tablet