or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Enterprise buyers frustrated by Apple axing Xserve, but sticking with Mac

Enterprise buyers frustrated by Apple axing Xserve, but sticking with Mac

post #1 of 52
More than a month after Apple announced it would discontinue its Xserve rackmounted servers, the company's decision continues to irk enterprise customers, though most said they will stick with the Mac.

On Tuesday, CNNMoney.com profiled the reactions of Xserve customers, which the publication referred to as "a mix of confusion and frustration." Those who spoke out on the subject suggested that Apple is out of touch with its enterprise customers, who need stability in their products.

"With consumers, when they don't hear anything and then all the sudden -- ta da! -- they get a new iPhone, that's great," said John Welch, IT director at the Zimmerman Agency. "For us IT guys, that's a nightmare. We hate that."

Apple announced in early November that it will discontinue the Xserve after Jan. 31, 2011. It has suggested that customers switch to either a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard Server, or the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server.

Xserve purchases made through Jan. 31, 2011, including the 160GB, 1TB and 2TB models, will be backed by Apple's full one-year warranty. But Apple has also noted that the 12-core mac Pro with Snow Leopard Server meets or exceeds the performance of the baseline Xserve hardware.

An e-mail allegedly sent by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said that "hardly anyone" was buying the Xserve. And researchers at IDC said that Apple's share of the total server market is less than 4 percent.

Despite enterprise customers' frustration over the cancelation of the Xserve, most said they will keep to the Mac platform for both desktops and servers. CNNMoney.com noted that in a survey of 1,200 Xserve customers, 70 percent said the cancelation of the Xserve will not change their preference toward Apple computers.

"Even when they're frustrated, Apple's enterprise clients still trust the company enough to keep relying on it," author David Goldman wrote. "Apple may always be a niche player in the business market, but it's got an advantage rivals like Microsoft and HP can only dream about: In the eyes of many customers, Apple can do no wrong -- even when it does something wrong."

For more, see AppleInsider's three-page postmortem on the Xserve: Why Apple axed Xserve, and how it can reenter the server market.
post #2 of 52
Quote:
Enterprise buyers frustrated by Apple axing Xserve, but sticking with Mac

Bull. You can't possibly say anything about that a month after Apple ditched Xserve. Biased, lame article.
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Apple has also noted that the 12-core mac Pro with Snow Leopard Server meets or exceeds the performance of the baseline Xserve hardware.

Yes and it fits in the rack nicely too. One of the reasons the XServes were so attractive for our cluster was the 1U design.
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Yes and it fits in the rack nicely too.

You can mount a Mac Pro sideways in a rack and it uses 3U, the Mac Pro is more powerful anyhow. The only thing the XServe offers over the Mac Pro is the optional redundant Power supply, the Mac Pro has more internal hard disk storage, and faster CPU availability.

Not to say I'm not sorry to see it go, I've installed a number of them myself and am a huge fan. Most of these customers won't be worried about replacing or upgrading these units for YEARS.

I can see Mac OS X Server being offered as a Virtualized solution in the near future anyway. Anyone that does a lot of enterprise solutions know that Virtualization is a preferred method for this, it saves money on hardware and energy if you can run 4-8 virtuals on a server that might cost as much as two pieces of server hardware it saves a lot of overhead.
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

You can mount a Mac Pro sideways in a rack and it uses 3U, the Mac Pro is more powerful anyhow. The only thing the XServe offers over the Mac Pro is the optional redundant Power supply, the Mac Pro has more internal hard disk storage, and faster CPU availability.

Apple towers have not been horizontally rackable since the death of the G4, and lord knows i've tried. There are also substantial cooling issues with placing a unit as shallow as a Mac Pro in a 30" deep rack. You also make the omission of a redundant power supply sound trivial, and fail to mention the lack of a server grade NIC with LOM. Who would hang a business off an infrastructure that is so ill-equipped for its purpose?

Virtualization is already an option for OS X Server, but only on top of a Mac host. Which Mac are you going to use to run a bunch of VM's? THe only candidate is the Xserve, or a hackintosh server.

My clients will be scrapping OD, switching to AD with extended schema, phasing out XSan, looking at alternatives to Final Cut Server/D.A.M. and migrating anything in the server room we can to RHEL. Between this and the crappy graphics card support, it's one less reason to be able to argue keeping the Mac platform. When asked why to buy the Mac for a business, I could spew for five minutes reason after reason, separated with "AND's". Now I'm out of arguments in under a minute, and they are all separated with "BUT's". This, coming from a die-hard Apple fan for more than 20 years.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Yes and it fits in the rack nicely too. One of the reasons the XServes were so attractive for our cluster was the 1U design.

I don't believe that is a legitimate argument. Bottom line was. apple didn't have a compelling family. They needed blades and a 2U enclosure for hardware, and some significant networking, storage, and management upgrades.

Looking at Fujitsu's new blade line-up, it is pretty clear Apple didn't have a modern breadth, ESPECIALLY for clusters. (Fujitsu having lagged in this market in the past, with IBM dominating.)
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post

My clients will be scrapping OD, switching to AD with extended schema, phasing out XSan, looking at alternatives to Final Cut Server/D.A.M. and migrating anything in the server room we can to RHEL. Between this and the crappy graphics card support, it's one less reason to be able to argue keeping the Mac platform. When asked why to buy the Mac for a business, I could spew for five minutes reason after reason, separated with "AND's". Now I'm out of arguments in under a minute, and they are all separated with "BUT's". This, coming from a die-hard Apple fan for more than 20 years.

But wasn't this the right decision for them independent of Apple's move?

While I don't know Final Cut, everything else has pretty much been a foregone conclusion for at least 3 years. Eventually, Apple is going to have to allow for virtualization to save things like FC Server, but only if that is the logical solution. If FC Server should get ported to Linux or pure BSD, then hopefully that is what they do.

The real enterprise gripe isn't Xserve, but the lack of model look continuity over time. Case redesigns push people to the newest machines independent of corporate life-cycle.
post #8 of 52
If it hasn't been any clearer that Apple is completely leaving the pro market to focus strictly on the consumer market.

1: Apple Computer Inc. changes name to Apple Inc.

2: Bootcamp (Windows only? What about Linux?)

3: No more X-Raid.

4: No more X-Server (Linux is much more customizable and can use any hardware)

5: The iPad, the iPhone, the iPod Touch and other "closed OS" devices.

6: All but the MacPro are closed hardware.

Didn't Phil S. mention that the "consumer" market is like over 50% of the total computing market?

Why sit still and be consistent when you can have over 50% of the market going where the consumer wind blows and mass produce a simple set of hardware?

Why bother with the many needs of the enterprise market for specialized hardware who are only going to try to chew you down on price?

Why cater to a market trying to make money when you got a larger market willing to blow money?

The next Apple machines to go are the MacPro and the MacBook Pro.

1: The MacPro is too much power for most consumers, high end 3D games have gone over to consoles, far easier and cheaper. We will soon hear the same that occurred to the X-Server "we are not selling them". The cause? Power and performance isn't important anymore, portability and functionality is.

2: The MacBook Pro will undergo changes, already rumored the Superdrive and hard drives will be axed in the next versions, to be external optional devices.

The next to go are Apple's "Pro' software or morph into some sort of iOS cloud based solution, this way Apple can focus on selling consumer hardware strictly and if you need more horsepower for "Pro" work, you can use the new NC servers.

A final insult, iOS will rule on all Apple hardware and the mouse and the independent trackpad will disappear.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implements some sort of touchscreen/keyboard on the MacBook Pro's instead of the real keyboard, of course they have to solve the heat issue, as keyboards are presently used for venting (thus no liquids on keyboards) but if they start using less powerful A4 dual cores (coming soon) that should take care of that problem nicely.

Independent graphics? Gone. somebody better call Nvida with the bad news.

Welcome to the new Apple.
post #9 of 52
Apple is basically making consumer appliances at this point, including Mac computers. The power tools they're leaving to the big boys...
post #10 of 52
They should also ditch the server version of the OS. Imagine how much software dev resource it would free up not having to maintain that distro. Maybe then Lion could have some more stuff in it.
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

I don't think so, unless you mean the very long term. Steve already gave his opinion on the future of the home computer at All Things D. It will be the truck. Some people need trucks but most people just need a car. Up until now everyone has been forced to use trucks because there hasn't been something like iOS. If anything the Mac Pro is safer than the iMac because it is unashamedly a truck.
post #12 of 52
Quote:

[Blah, blah, blah, blah]...

Complete nonsense.
post #13 of 52
Quote:

Apple towers have not been horizontally rackable since the death of the G4, and lord knows i've tried. There are also substantial cooling issues with placing a unit as shallow as a Mac Pro in a 30" deep rack. You also make the omission of a redundant power supply sound trivial, and fail to mention the lack of a server grade NIC with LOM. Who would hang a business off an infrastructure that is so ill-equipped for its purpose?

Virtualization is already an option for OS X Server, but only on top of a Mac host. Which Mac are you going to use to run a bunch of VM's? THe only candidate is the Xserve, or a hackintosh server.

It seems, then, customers like you are the reason Apple decided to stop production. Why complain then? I bet you can get a decent price for your obsolete equipment. You should be happy.
post #14 of 52
Quote:

If it hasn't been any clearer that Apple is completely leaving the pro market to focus strictly on the consumer market.

Didn't Phil S. mention that the "consumer" market is like over 50% of the total computing market?

Why sit still and be consistent when you can have over 50% of the market going where the consumer wind blows and mass produce a simple set of hardware?

Why bother with the many needs of the enterprise market for specialized hardware who are only going to try to chew you down on price?

Why cater to a market trying to make money when you got a larger market willing to blow money?

1: The MacPro is too much power for most consumers, high end 3D games have gone over to consoles, far easier and cheaper. We will soon hear the same that occurred to the X-Server "we are not selling them". The cause? Power and performance isn't important anymore, portability and functionality is.

2: The MacBook Pro will undergo changes, already rumored the Superdrive and hard drives will be axed in the next versions, to be external optional devices.

The next to go are Apple's "Pro' software or morph into some sort of iOS cloud based solution, this way Apple can focus on selling consumer hardware strictly and if you need more horsepower for "Pro" work, you can use the new NC servers.

A final insult, iOS will rule on all Apple hardware and the mouse and the independent trackpad will disappear.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implements some sort of touchscreen/keyboard on the MacBook Pro's instead of the real keyboard, of course they have to solve the heat issue, as keyboards are presently used for venting (thus no liquids on keyboards) but if they start using less powerful A4 dual cores (coming soon) that should take care of that problem nicely.

Utter rubbish. Not even worth responding too. The machines continue to get more powerful, further accepted by business at all levels. Apple make phones, music players and computers - hence dropping "computer" now that's not all they do. The mouse and track pad will disappear? I guess that's they why the brought the magic mouse to market and just introduced a stand alone track pad!?

As far as "Enterprise buyers frustrated by Apple axing Xserve, but sticking with Mac" - they can't be too frustrated then! So the replacement takes up 3U instead of 1U and it's two- three times more powerful for less cash?
post #15 of 52
Although I'm disappointed too, unfortunately this is how Apple always treated IT customers, even as way back as OS7 Server.

Many IT professionals gave Apple another go after Jobs showed-off OSX Server running 50 diskless iMacs and gave the impression that Apple was committed to a new server market with OS X Server.

Support for OS X Server has been another major disappointment. Apple Servers?... Heck no, never again!
bb
bb
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They should also ditch the server version of the OS. Imagine how much software dev resource it would free up not having to maintain that distro. Maybe then Lion could have some more stuff in it.

This makes a lot of sense. Servers are old tech.

You can replace OS X Server stuff with .Me and the new data center in Carolina. Maybe an Apple TV for the stuff you need on demand.
post #17 of 52
That doesn't make sense for those who rely on Final Cut Server, XSAN, Podcast Producer, Quicktime Streaming Server, Open Directory, iCal etc...

Apple specific server applications do not run on anything but Mac OS X server.

The best thing Apple can do if they don't release a replacement to the Xserve, is to partner with Oracle. I would be great to run Mac OS X Server on their Sun Fire servers.

Sun Fire X4170 M2 Server

Apple can take advantage of Oracle's sales and support channels without having to spend money on developing the hardware. They would gain instant credibility in the enterprise with this move.

Although I wish they would have bought Sun when they had the chance. They would have been able to control their destiny and not be dependent on a third party, but thats old news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

This makes a lot of sense. Servers are old tech.

You can replace OS X Server stuff with .Me and the new data center in Carolina. Maybe an Apple TV for the stuff you need on demand.
post #18 of 52
Just to play Devil's advocate, Office 2011 makes the Mac pretty much corporate-friendly. Stata, Mathematica and MATLAB all have good Mac implementation. What we don't have is SAS. If we did, a lot of corporate / finance America could run Mac without a problem.
post #19 of 52
Quote:

Why cater to a market trying to make money when you got a larger market willing to blow money?...

This is so true. Especially about how enterprise has a habit of nickel and diming vendors and having expectations far greater than the average consumer.

Anyone who has ever worked in IT understands the slow, plodding mentality. There are very few dynamic companies that can stop and turn on a dime if a great new technology arrives.

Yes, Apple will do things like have ActiveSync and Exchange support, but that is because Apple is not about to release an email/calendar system to battle Exchange, GroupWise or even FirstClass for that matter.

But, who knows, maybe this will be true in February....
http://www.9to5mac.com/40192/what-replaces-xserves
post #20 of 52
Quote:

You can mount a Mac Pro sideways in a rack and it uses 3U...

If there is a solution to mount it sideways in a 19" rack that does not butcher the case and allows the box to be moved in and out with cable management, I'd love to see a link for it.

I will buy it tomorrow for a number of clients of mine.
post #21 of 52
"Apple can do no wrong -- even when it does something wrong."

And therein lies the problem. They need to be held accountable.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

If there is a solution to mount it sideways in a 19" rack that does not butcher the case and allows the box to be moved in and out with cable management, I'd love to see a link for it.

No, but you can get the old fashion slider trays and mount two vertically. The dimensions are 20.1" x 8.1" You need a hacksaw to mount them in a 19" rack horizontally. They work much better on metro shelves than server racks. You can even use cable ties instead of having to deal with all of those square bolts!!

I feel like I have stepped back to 1997.

Apple appear to have approached it from the dog-food perspective; it doesn't work for them, so they need to find a better way to do it. The collateral damage though is pretty dramatic when looking at their software products. They must have some kind of plan for addressing it...
post #23 of 52
Quote:

You also make the omission of a redundant power supply sound trivial, and fail to mention the lack of a server grade NIC with LOM.

Agreed, and add to that server-grade hot swappable drives.

The Xserve is a niche product (education, science, video production, graphic arts, small business), and without a much broader product range coupled with a published, disciplined enterprise product plan it wasn't going to grow out of that. However I'd have thought its market to be sufficiently focused to be worth serving. Apparently not: I guess a few tens of thousands of units a year isn't enough in today's Apple, not even for a product with a fairly high average selling price.

I'm glad I replaced our 7-year-old Xserve G4 with a new Intel Xserve a couple of months ago. No idea what we'll do next time around, but I've got at least 5 years before I have to worry about that.
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

...I'm glad I replaced our 7-year-old Xserve G4 with a new Intel Xserve a couple of months ago. No idea what we'll do next time around, but I've got at least 5 years before I have to worry about that.

Indeed. I figure Apple (in their very uncharacteristic method) announced the discontinuation of a product so that those that really require this solution can buy it now and install it without worrying about loss of support for a few years.

And, as people always like to say, two years is an eternity in the computer biz.
So any roadmap any company puts out that claims to see that far ahead is worthless.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

No, but you can get the old fashion slider trays and mount two vertically. The dimensions are 20.1" x 8.1" You need a hacksaw to mount them in a 19" rack horizontally. They work much better on metro shelves than server racks. You can even use cable ties instead of having to deal with all of those square bolts!!

I feel like I have stepped back to 1997.

Apple appear to have approached it from the dog-food perspective; it doesn't work for them, so they need to find a better way to do it. The collateral damage though is pretty dramatic when looking at their software products. They must have some kind of plan for addressing it...

Hacksaw or 12U spacing on shelf?

No thanks, I'll stick to buying up the last of the XServes, install them, and worry about the next great solution a few years later when the AppleCare has expired.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

It seems, then, customers like you are the reason Apple decided to stop production. Why complain then? I bet you can get a decent price for your obsolete equipment. You should be happy.

On the contrary, were it not for this announcement, we would have been renewing our server room with a several new Xserves, and an updated XSan system. If they kept making them, we'd keep buying them. However, Mac workstations just don't play as nice in an environment without an OS X Server infrastructure, unless you want to shell out a boat load of cash on third party software, like ExtremeZ-IP, which costs as much as an Xserve itself before you have even purchased a Windows Server to run it on. I was happy with the Xserve, and the way their server and clients systems worked together. Sure, there were a few gripes where improvements could be made, like a scalable filesystem or a bit more robustness and scalability in OD, but it was still a very workable integrated SYSTEM. Now it's not a system, it's a selection of client machines, with hurdles to co-existing with other systems. The list of shortcomings of those client machines on their own, like lack of choice in graphics cards, is a shorter list than what is good about them, but that list starts to grow considerably without the Xserve to allow them to be catered to.
post #27 of 52
Quote:

Is there a real good reason that they have to be mounted as such?

Seems Virginia Tech have been more than success standing their Mac Pros up.

Virginia Tech building supercomputer out of 324 Mac Pros
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...4-mac-pros.ars

Quote:
Virginia Techs record breaking supercomputer, known as System X, SystemX, Big Mac, or Terascale Cluster, is originally made from Apple Macintosh computers in 2003. In 2004 System X was upgraded to Apple xServes 1U servers. In 2008, another supercomputing cluster of Macs [Mac Pros] was built [System G] at Virginia Tech.

System G
High Performance, Low Cost Supercomputer At Virginia Tech is a Mac
http://obamapacman.com/2009/08/high-...h-mac-cluster/

Virginia Tech Magazine: Factor of X. Summer FEATURE 2010
http://www.vtmagazine.vt.edu/sum10/feature5.html
post #28 of 52
Quote:

But wasn't this the right decision for them independent of Apple's move?

While I don't know Final Cut, everything else has pretty much been a foregone conclusion for at least 3 years. Eventually, Apple is going to have to allow for virtualization to save things like FC Server, but only if that is the logical solution. If FC Server should get ported to Linux or pure BSD, then hopefully that is what they do.

The real enterprise gripe isn't Xserve, but the lack of model look continuity over time. Case redesigns push people to the newest machines independent of corporate life-cycle.

aaarrrgggh,

I take your point that there are many options that exist for the server room that have a better roadmap, and I've seriously considered some of those options before this announcement, but for some of my clients, the enterprise offerings Apple had worked very well for the Mac environment they catered to, and one glaring factor is also price. The amount of stuff that comes included in OS X Server with unlimited client licensing makes an Xserve a cheaper option than an Windows Server with additional licenses. Also, since late 10.4 through 10.6 Server, i'd say that OS X Server has been very good. Before then, I would never have installed an Apple server for a client. They were just too flaky.
post #29 of 52
Quote:

I can see Mac OS X Server being offered as a Virtualized solution in the near future anyway.

Bingo. I could see Apple partnering with VMware and offering a bundle or something - it just doesn't make sense for them to try to compete in such a low-volume market that is also very specialized.

At least that's my hope. They can't be running all SPARC in that new data center in NC
post #30 of 52
Quote:

Virtualization is already an option for OS X Server, but only on top of a Mac host.

Today, that is. Who knows what Apple might do in the future. Unfortunately, at this point it's just hoping/wild speculation. I hope Apple see's a real need here and does something to officially support OSX server under virtualization. People are doing it now in various methods, so it's not a wild desire.

It will be interesting to see what value Apple places on the OS by itself for server applications if they do go this route.
post #31 of 52
Quote:

Sigh - someone needs to put the crack pipe down or just relax
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

The best thing Apple can do if they don't release a replacement to the Xserve, is to partner with Oracle. I would be great to run Mac OS X Server on their Sun Fire servers.

That's a highly probably move - I forgot about Steve's good pal Larry buying up Sun.

Although I much prefer the greater choice that would be offered if Apple partnered with VMWare for a special Mac OSX server edition.

Either way, I think the proverbial shoe will drop after the discontinuation date for the Xserve - I can't believe Apple will just leave OSX server to the Mac Pro or Mac Mini.
post #33 of 52
Quote:

I don't believe that is a legitimate argument. Bottom line was. apple didn't have a compelling family. They needed blades and a 2U enclosure for hardware, and some significant networking, storage, and management upgrades.

Looking at Fujitsu's new blade line-up, it is pretty clear Apple didn't have a modern breadth, ESPECIALLY for clusters. (Fujitsu having lagged in this market in the past, with IBM dominating.)

I wouldn't dismiss this as a legitimate argument. For a cluster, maybe, but 1u servers have their place in a server environment. More so than blades. Most data centers are still dominated by 2U servers.

That said, Apple never had a server family anyway, they simply offered a specific 1U solution. At the time though, with the Xserve RAID and XSAN, Apple offered one of the lowest cost, high-performance SAN system around.

They simply realized that they didn't want to spend the R&D to build an actual server family and update it, but Apple certainly has the breath and engineering skills to build the best servers in the marketplace.

I actually think that they are uniquely positioned to build the "greenest servers" if they wanted to...
post #34 of 52
Wouldnt it be nice if Apple got into offering Mac OS X Server from the cloud? Who wants to maintain their own server hardware anyhow? If the price were right, id drop my Linux VPS in a heartbeat.

But i suppose theyre going to use their new data center for iTunes, or some such silly thing!
post #35 of 52
Quote:

That's just laughable. Very non-sensical arguments. Just because they are expanding their reach into new categories that they have created, Apple has no reason to leave another market they already dominate.

They unfortunately are leaving the server market (which I wouldn't confuse with the Pro market) because they had a niche offering with a costly support infrastructure and decided it wasn't worth their time.

But the Pro-market to which I count their Mac Pro line, Macbook Pros and Pro software, Apple is a heavy weight. If I recall, Apple has something like 90% market share in desktops over $1000 (this is where the Mac Pro's are at home) and a significant market share on laptops over $1000 (unfortunately I don't recall the exact percentage).
Apple's Pro software is also well positioned in virtually any creative department of US corporations, studios and agencies.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple is basically making consumer appliances at this point, including Mac computers. The power tools they're leaving to the big boys...

I agree on servers, but in the "pro-market", Apple is the big boy... And last time I looked, the big boys look more like small boys compared to Apple
post #37 of 52
Quote:

It's actually 5U and if you have to pay for rackspace in a data center, this can cost you a couple hundred Dollars a month for nothing...

Also, uptime is everything in a production environment, so you are dismissing nearly everything why people buy a server over a cheaper desktop (hardware redundancy, hot-swappable components and remote management).
A faster CPU and more internal storage are actually secondary over availability.
post #38 of 52
Quote:

I personally can't think of any compelling reason to be able to dual-boot directly into Linux on Mac hardware. The only reason I boot directly into Windows is for games. There aren't a lot of Linux-based games that are graphically intensive and that do not have MacOS (or Windows) alternatives. I played around with OpenArena (which was, actually, quite cool), and of course there are a few simulators and the Doom derivatives... I do have a Fedora VM on my Mini at the office that I use occasionally for testing purposes, but I don't care to boot directly into it.

Besides, I believe BootCamp was intended for switchers. Most people running Linux are a bit more technically savvy and understand that OSX gives them the Unix they're looking for...
post #39 of 52
Quote:

This is so true. Especially about how enterprise has a habit of nickel and diming vendors and having expectations far greater than the average consumer.

Anyone who has ever worked in IT understands the slow, plodding mentality. There are very few dynamic companies that can stop and turn on a dime if a great new technology arrives.

Yes, Apple will do things like have ActiveSync and Exchange support, but that is because Apple is not about to release an email/calendar system to battle Exchange, GroupWise or even FirstClass for that matter.

But, who knows, maybe this will be true in February....
http://www.9to5mac.com/40192/what-replaces-xserves

Interesting read!

From the article (emphasis mine):

Quote:
One Apple Enterprise shop we spoke to said that Apple’s System Engineers have been on a campaign to assure that Apple has another solution in the pipeline beyond what they’ve announced. There wasn’t an exact timeline of release but there was an indication that when the Xserve inventory runs out, the new product will be released. That means a new Enterprise product could be ready in February.

How close are we to ARM-based servers? From what I read it is quite possible that low-power ARM servers based on A8 or A9 ARM CPUs are eminent.

Also, there are rumors of a 64-bit ARM architecture

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...n--says-report

Interesting quote from this article (emphasis mine):

Quote:
One possibility - which would be very reminiscent of Intel's marketing style - would be if the basic Cortex-A15 design already supports 64-bit processing and ARM has quietly kept that detail back from the original announcement to give it more publicity. As ARM is licensor of IP it might be possible to allow chip partners to choose whether to opt for full 64-bit processing or opt for 32-bit depending on application and as they are designing their implementation of the chip.

So, we know that iOS OS X shares a good part of its underlying code with Mac OS X and by extension OS X Server...

... It is currently possible to run web servers on iOS -- how much more would it take to run the full OS X Server?

With all that's been going on it is quite possible that Apple has a revolutionary Enterprise, SMB, and Home Server Solution in the wings -- but was not able to get everything coordinated/completed in time. The Back To The Mac, OS X Lion preso would have been the best timing -- but maybe Apple (and its partners) couldn't make it happen.

It is very Apple-like to EOL an older product when the inventory gets low, rather than restart production. Ideally, they can synchronize this with the announcement of a replacement solution.

Maybe, in this case, they just couldn't make it happen at the same point in time.

Finally, re Apple disappointing its enterprise customers:

It's kinda' like picking a fight with your significant other... making up is so much fun.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Wouldnt it be nice if Apple got into offering Mac OS X Server from the cloud? Who wants to maintain their own server hardware anyhow?

The XServes that I manage are simple file servers that I don't even look at for months at a time.

My design pros want to work directly with files residing on a local server, (no matter how many times I tell them Apple and Adobe don't recommend it). One needs network speed to be able to do that. Until you have a gigabit or better connection to the "cloud", and a way to overcome the inherent latency of a remote server, it's not going to be feasible.

The cloud may work for editing a small Word document but even an Excel spreadsheet of 2,000 rows slows to a crawl while being worked on by a G5 iMac when the file is local.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Enterprise buyers frustrated by Apple axing Xserve, but sticking with Mac