or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple updates QuickTime; MobileMe improvements coming next year

Apple updates QuickTime; MobileMe improvements coming next year - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

My wife and I have had MM (fka mac.com) for several years. It costs $140 per year for the 2 of us.

If you plan ahead by checing every month or two for MobileMe or .Mac* boxes online you can get that price under $100 easy, and perhaps as low as $70 for a Family Pack. You can then input the codes ahead of time and have them extend your account duration.

* Note that .Mac used to increase in version numbers each year on the box but its just silly marketing. You can buy old .Mac boxes and the serial numbers will work to extend your MobileMe services.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 46
If Apple can come up with some really compelling services and make them free to all iOS users, I think it will take advantage of the strengths of their business model and keep them competitive.

Apple is good at hardware and software, but in terms of their competitors, they have Google that is good at software but not hardware, and companies like HTC and Motorola that are fine with the hardware but not software (and certainly not web services). For every new Android user, the hardware manufacturers make money, but Google doesn't. However, I believe that the only company in a position to provide good web-based services to users of the Android platform is Google, for a number of reasons (they are the only company that all Android phones have in common, and they are good at web services). With the current model, if Apple decided to spend $20/year per iOS user to provide amazing free services, they can afford it regardless of how many phones they sell. If Google needed to do the same thing to keep up, the more successful the platform, the more money they would lose. So, in that case, would Google have to start charging for Android? Just a thought.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

When the iPhone first came out I'd agree but these days gmail syncs contacts, calendar and email. Apple now offers find my phone is now free. I cannot see what MobileMe currently offers to justify its price.

First and foremost MobileMe is an ad-free web service that doesn't trade in your personal information. That is reason enough on it's own for me. Google's so-called "free" solution isn't free at all. I'd much rather pay a nominal fee and keep my personal information private.

Other advantages of MobileMe:
- Ad-free email easily synced between multiple devices
- Instant syncing of contacts, calendars, bookmarks via Push service
- Web access to email, contacts and calendar
- One button hosting of your personal website with iWeb
- 20GB iDisk for storage, backup and file sharing
- Elegant photo sharing which allows full quality downloads

All to be had for as little as $5 a month.

Could it be improved? Of course. Few things can't. But it's far from being a pointless offering like some claim. Personally, not a day goes by where I'm not using my MobileMe account in some way.
post #44 of 46
iDisk is in need of the most work. It is miles behind Dropbox and similar services. The lack of block-level sync makes it almost unusable. The current sync method is too slow, and editing directly on the server is even slower.

The rest of the services are fine. Allowing shared calendars to be edited online is a big improvement.

The pricing would be reasonable if they increase the storage (50GB on a single, 150GB on a Family).
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

iDisk is in need of the most work.

iDisk is infinitely better if you access with a program like Cyberduck. WebDAV support in Finder just seems to be garbage in general.

Someone above mentioned what happened a couple weeks ago with the old .Mac homepages. Basically everyone with a http://homepage.mac.com/username type page got screwed over unnecessarily. I host a ton of my own music on my page and have used the same links for ages; now they're all broken.
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

MobileMe is in fact, rather awesome for the apple-centric user. MobileMe works perfectly for me so I'm not sure why some are having problems but it's certainly not a universal problem with the service.

I agree MobileMe is a great service with a lot to offer, particularly for the Apple-centric. It seems to work flawlessly for the vast majority of users, which makes it all the more frustrating for those of us who are affected by the mysterious ghosts in the cloud.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple updates QuickTime; MobileMe improvements coming next year