or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple offers up to $100 savings on refurbished iPads for limited time

Apple offers up to $100 savings on refurbished iPads for limited time

post #1 of 25
Apple this week further reduced the price of its refurbished Wi-Fi iPads, with the entry-level 16GB model now selling for $429, and 32GB for $499 as a "special limited time price."

The new pricing applies only to the Wi-Fi-only models. At $429, the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad is now $20 cheaper than the usual refurbished price, and $70 less than the price of a new model.

Discounts on the higher-capacity iPads are even greater. Customers can buy the Wi-Fi 32GB iPad for $499, a savings of $100 over a new model. Apple is also offering the refurbished 64GB Wi-Fi model at $100 off, for $599.

Apple has not increased its discounts on refurbished 3G models. Those devices are available at $50 off in all three capacities, starting at $579 for the 16GB model.

All refurbished iPads are tested and certified, and come with a 1-year warranty from Apple. They also include a brand new battery and outer shell. Refurbished orders also come with free shipping.

Apple first began selling refurbished iPads in September, with all six models available at a $50 discount. Prior to that, Apple did not offer refurbished iPads, and many retail stores were sold out of the touchscreen tablet for months.
post #2 of 25
Read this as a sign of two things. First, Apple is has a lot of defective iPads they have to fix and sell and second, the iPad is going to be updated at the beginning of the year.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Read this as a sign of two things. First, Apple is has a lot of defective iPads they have to fix and sell and second, the iPad is going to be updated at the beginning of the year.

-kpluck

Both of your guesses seem consistent with the facts. We'll never know the truth WRT the first, but time will tell WRT the second.
post #4 of 25
That is a great price for an iPad. The only problem with the iPad is one isn't enough for a family.

Everyone I know who doesn't already have an iPad is getting their family one for Christmas. Many people are getting their family their second iPad for Christmas.

The only downside to buying an iPad now is I expect Apple will drop the price $100 in April when the iPad 2 is released.

Am I going to pay $500 for a second iPad right now, when I think I can get the same thing for $400 in April.? Probably not.

But, am I going to spend $430 for a second iPad right now, when I'll only save $30 by waiting until April? That is much more likely.

I see these refurbished prices being much more palatable for people buying their second or third iPads, and a down-right steal for first time buyers.
post #5 of 25
Pass. Give me the next thinner, lighter v2 w a front facing camera. Nice try Apple.
post #6 of 25
Decisions, decisions!
post #7 of 25
Which will sell more units this holiday?

— iPad or Kinect?
— iPad or AppleTV?
— AppleTV or Kinect?
— AppleTV or Kindle?
— KIndle or Galaxay Tab?

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iPad or Kinect?
iPad or AppleTV?
AppleTV or Kinect?
AppleTV or Kindle?
KIndle or Galaxay Tab?

Flame much?
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Pass. Give me the next thinner, lighter v2 w a front facing camera. Nice try Apple.

Offering discounted refurbs is a trick?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Offering discounted refurbs is a trick?

No.
An enticement for compulsive buying- yes.
post #11 of 25
Quote:

iPad or Kinect?
iPad or AppleTV?
AppleTV or Kinect?
AppleTV or Kindle?
KIndle or Galaxay Tab?

iPad
iPad
Kinect
Kindle
Idk - maybe kindle? No sales on Kindle to compare, however.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #12 of 25
Quote:

No.
An enticement for compulsive buying- yes.

Sales: a sinister Apple invented exploitation of a basic human weakness. Is there no end to their perfidy?
post #13 of 25
Quote:

Flame much?

Says the reborn troll that snarkily remarks Steve Jobs’ liver transplant as his alias. Only one resident troll would stoop that low. Welcome to my ignore list… again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

iPad
iPad
Kinect
Kindle
Idk - maybe kindle? No sales on Kindle to compare, however.

MS make a hyperbolic remark about the Kinect outselling the iPad. Believable or not, it was the right strategy to create additional buzz. Kinect seems quite popular and well liked by those that I know who have bought it.

I think The Galaxy Tab has the potential of generating a lot of sales this season, with a dramatic drop off to nothing after real Android tablets start popping up.

I think the AppleTV may be a sleeper device. The accessibility of Netflix and the low $99 price makes it a possible stocking stuffer. I bought one for someone in my family who turned around and bought 10 as presents over Harry & David gift baskets for friends and family that use Netflix. It could be a sleeper product.
post #14 of 25
Quote:

Sales: a sinister Apple invented exploitation of a basic human weakness. Is there no end to their perfidy?

Oh is that the definition of it? I'm just not biting the dangling carrot- that's all.
post #15 of 25
Quote:

Says the reborn troll that snarkily remarks Steve Jobs’ liver transplant as his alias. Only one resident troll would stoop that low. Welcome to my ignore list… again.

Snarkily nothing. You're trying to incite flame wars on an Apple fansite by asking people if a non- Apple product will beat Apple products in sales over the holidays? That's called pathological.
You're on my ignore list.
post #16 of 25
Quote:

Oh is that the definition of it? I'm just not biting the dangling carrot- that's all.

Cool. When I elect not to buy something on sale I generally don't post about it, with a satisfied little "nice try." Because that would make me a Seinfeld character.
post #17 of 25
Quote:

Cool. When I elect not to buy something on sale I generally don't post about it, with a satisfied little "nice try." Because that would make me a Seinfeld character.

Elaine? or Newman?
post #18 of 25
Quote:

Elaine? or Newman?

George.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Read this as a sign of two things. First, Apple is has a lot of defective iPads they have to fix and sell

Defects are part of the reason for these machines but I suspect many of them are just a result of returns. You actually see a high number of people in the various threads talking about returning their iPad. Apple would have to resell these as used or refurbed.
Quote:
and second, the iPad is going to be updated at the beginning of the year.

-kpluck

Yep very soon I would guess. However remember this is the Christmas season and Apple does want to appeal to the cost conscious.

The other thing this highlights in my mind is that Apple has a lot of pricing flexibility with respect to iPad and highlights how much the units with more flash are over priced. IPad 2 will likely address this with more flash memory at similar price points.
post #20 of 25
Quote:

Says the reborn troll that snarkily remarks Steve Jobs liver transplant as his alias. Only one resident troll would stoop that low. Welcome to my ignore list again....

Quote:

Snarkily nothing. You're trying to incite flame wars on an Apple fansite by asking people if a non- Apple product will beat Apple products in sales over the holidays? That's called pathological.
You're on my ignore list.

So much for ignore lists
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Defects are part of the reason for these machines but I suspect many of them are just a result of returns.

More likely likely scenarios:

1) they don't need as many units on display in their stores compared to when the device was brand new.
2) the units in the stores are replaced every few months due to general wear and tear from the public. 300 apple stores plus thousands of authorized retailers generate a lot of turnover.
3) Yes, some returns.
4) Yes, some defects.

A return rate of 1% on 5 Million units sold still yields 50,000 iPads available for refurb. It's hardly indicative of user-dissatisfaction.
post #22 of 25
Just bought a 32gig Wi-Fi for wifey. Thanks Appleinsider!
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

More likely likely scenarios:

1) they don't need as many units on display in their stores compared to when the device was brand new.
2) the units in the stores are replaced every few months due to general wear and tear from the public. 300 apple stores plus thousands of authorized retailers generate a lot of turnover.
3) Yes, some returns.
4) Yes, some defects.

A return rate of 1% on 5 Million units sold still yields 50,000 iPads available for refurb. It's hardly indicative of user-dissatisfaction.

Even if the return rate is only 1% that is still one percent that where dis-satisfied in some manor or another. The reality is people are buying a lot of iPads and hanging on to them. Even so as you indicate even a small percentage of returns leads to a large number of iPads being available for refurb.

In the end it is a win win situation for Apple. No matter what the reason they can move product real fast on their refub store. Customers win also because the strong discount leads to a bit of happiness. Further with solid state hardware even used iPads should remain stable and viable for a long time.
post #24 of 25
Well, I'll say one thing: I spent two hours in BB today desperately trying to get any of the non-phone wi-fi tablets to say "I'm good enough" but couldn't. Archos, Huawei Indeos, Velocity. Just couldn't get a pleasant experience or foresee one. I really want to get a 7" tablet for net use but it ain't happening yet for me. One thing they all share is that their response is very hit or miss. You put your finger on something but then your really have to press down to get a click, even at the most sensitive levels. The Archos was maybe the least frustrating to use but it was still far from good. Just speaking of the interfaces and physical use.

Then you go over to the iPads and bang bang boom.

I dunno. I'm begging to get a small, no frills tablet and it could be any OS, but...
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I dunno. I'm begging to get a small, no frills tablet and it could be any OS, but...

The Nook Color that looks to be a nice small, no frills not-quite-a-tablet with a lot of potential if you don't mind rooting it to tinker with. While basic it does play movies and music. If and when they get flash you'll probably get netflix if it doesn't appear as a nook app before then.

If most of what you want with a no frills tablet is reading and web browsing it seem capable enough.

About as "no frills" as you can get given it's not quite a tablet.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple offers up to $100 savings on refurbished iPads for limited time
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple offers up to $100 savings on refurbished iPads for limited time