or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HP updates six printers to work with Apple's AirPrint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP updates six printers to work with Apple's AirPrint

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
HP this week updated the firmware of six of its printers, enabling compatibility with Apple's AirPrint, which allows printing directly from iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad.

HP added the functionality to six of its Officejet line of printers with firmware updates released on Thursday. AirPrint is built in to the recently released iOS 4.2 software update for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Printers that just received AirPrint functionality are:
Officejet 6500A e-AiO
Officejet 6500A Plus e-AiO
Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-AiO
Officejet Pro 8500A e-AiO
Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-AiO
Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-AiO
The addition of six new printers makes a total of 18 printers from HP that are now compatible with AirPrint. Five existing printers offer AirPrint functionality out of the box, while another seven had previously released firmware updates that added the ability to print from iOS 4.2.

AirPrint was originally intended to work from any printer shared through a Mac or PC. In early builds of iOS 4.2, iTunes 10.1 and Mac OS X 10.6.5 issued to developers, printers could be shared over a local network to iOS 4.2 devices.



That functionality was eventually removed, and now only HP printers with support for direct wireless printing without sharing through a Mac or PC work with AirPrint. However, a number of fixes and workarounds have been released that allow users to share a printer once again.

There were rumors that a legal dispute led Apple to remove the printer sharing feature from Mac OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1 and iOS 4.2 at the last minute. Apple's own website now only promises that AirPrint allows users to "print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network."
post #2 of 30
Anyone here still print stuff?

Steve, you know how the optical drive is totally out of date and yesterday's technology? Well guess what's even more out of date?
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Anyone here still print stuff?

Steve, you know how the optical drive is totally out of date and yesterday's technology? Well guess what's even more out of date?

I can only assume you are just Trolling, unless you work for a magical company, printing is going to continue happening for a long time. The company whom I support is only about 10% the way into our "paper reduction" process. They still have to print something out, to then scan it into our document management system...I didn't choose this horrible horrible document management system... I'd say they are to 6-7 years away to eliminating paper usage(unless a company we do business with still required paper invoices).

I foresee printing from iPad to be useful once it is a little easier to integrate into a corporate/retail business.
2010 17" MBP and many i devices.

Former Owner of multiple generations of Mac's all the way back to the Performa 6400.
Reply
2010 17" MBP and many i devices.

Former Owner of multiple generations of Mac's all the way back to the Performa 6400.
Reply
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Anyone here still print stuff?

Steve, you know how the optical drive is totally out of date and yesterday's technology? Well guess what's even more out of date?

Let's see:

1). Print photo's taken on phone.
2). Print docs from emails received on phone.
3). Print emails.
4). Print boarding passes.
5). Print travel info.

etc, etc.

Answer ... YES!
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Let's see:

1). Print photo's taken on phone.
2). Print docs from emails received on phone.
3). Print emails.
4). Print boarding passes.
5). Print travel info.

etc, etc.

Answer ... YES!

Wow, you really are retro! Other than the boarding pass all else I keep on a MacBookPro or an iPad and iPhone. It sounds like you don't trust your backup protocols.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP this week updated the firmware of six of its printers, enabling compatibility with Apple's AirPrint,...

It would be nice if they let us use printers that people actually buy and use. No one is going to buy a useless colour inkjet printer or a multi-function device just to use AirPrint.

These are all cheap consumer printers with a life expectancy shorter than that of the cartridges they use. The majority of HP's business is serious laser printers for office use, but still none of those work with AirPrint.
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP this week updated the firmware of six of its printers, enabling compatibility with Apple's AirPrint, which allows printing directly from iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad.

There were rumors that a legal dispute led Apple to remove the printer sharing feature from Mac OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1 and iOS 4.2 at the last minute. Apple's own website now only promises that AirPrint allows users to "print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network."

There are several solutions available to be activate Airprint on the Mac. Why waste money on HP printers? HP ink is really really expensive and I find using a different printer cheaper.
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

I can only assume you are just Trolling, unless you work for a magical company, printing is going to continue happening for a long time. The company whom I support is only about 10% the way into our "paper reduction" process. They still have to print something out, to then scan it into our document management system...I didn't choose this horrible horrible document management system... I'd say they are to 6-7 years away to eliminating paper usage(unless a company we do business with still required paper invoices).

I foresee printing from iPad to be useful once it is a little easier to integrate into a corporate/retail business.

I don't think he was trolling at all, it was a little tongue in cheek perhaps . Printing out something to scan in? Are you serious? Your company is seriously stuck in the past. If a form is digital it should be filled in digitally and stored and or sent digitally. You should show them how to do it and suggest they fire their IT department.

PS Even Preview can be used to annotate a PDF that Adobe has locked shhhhh.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

... The company whom I support is only about 10% the way into our "paper reduction" process. They still have to print something out, to then scan it into our document management system. ...

Having a "document management system" is a sure fire way to *never* eliminate paper and printing in my experience. I've seen it done in several different organisations and the result is usually more paper in circulation than before.
post #10 of 30
What about their LaserJet printers? That would be nice to see. Especially a LaserJet 4345mfp.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Same here. I can't remember the last time I printed and email.

Me neither. oh wait .. the last time I printed an e-mail it was on a dot matrix printer and that was only to prove I'd received one as they were so novel at that time
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I try to print at least one thing a year just to make sure the printer is still working correctly. My wife and daughter however keep the toner companies in business.

My wife, a Realtor, does the same
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

What about their LaserJet printers? That would be nice to see. Especially a LaserJet 4345mfp.

I don't understand why they're only doing that for their inkjets so far. I only use an inkjet for very specific circumstances, and I avoid the all-in-one type device because they don't seem to do anything very well. I print a lot for my business, I think of it as a courtesy to provide a receipt and instructions with my product. But regular consumers shouldn't need to print very often. I recall that printing from iOS was on a lot of wish lists, I don't think it's in my top five.
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow, you really are retro! Other than the boarding pass all else I keep on a MacBookPro or an iPad and iPhone. It sounds like you don't trust your backup protocols.

I've successfully tried out the BA app that let's you have an electronic boarding pass and simply have a barcode on the iPhone scanned at various stages when proceeding through the Airport. it worked well! So with this you could be completely paperless!
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would be nice if they let us use printers that people actually buy and use. No one is going to buy a useless colour inkjet printer or a multi-function device just to use AirPrint.

Is this directed at Apple or HP?
post #16 of 30
Too late. I'm no longer buying HP printers.

I had an L7780 - which was an expensive AIO printer - and it started acting wonky. HP said to replace the printhead (even though I had just replaced it a few weeks earlier). Then, a few weeks later, the new one failed, too, so I put in a third. A couple of weeks after that, the printer won't work at all. And I don't print all that many pages - probably just a few hundred a month.

HP's response? Buy a new one. Oh, and our vaunted tradein program only uses recent printer models, so we won't give you anything for your printer.

I used to get 6-7 years out of my Epson printers and longer than that from my Brother printer. About 2 years is nowhere near what would be expected-and HP's lousy support made it worse.

Maybe Epson or Canon will support Airprint. It doesn't really matter - since I haven't yet had a time when I wanted to print something from my iPad, but it would be nice to have.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

I've successfully tried out the BA app that let's you have an electronic boarding pass and simply have a barcode on the iPhone scanned at various stages when proceeding through the Airport. it worked well! So with this you could be completely paperless!

I was quite impressed what American Airlines offered me that option - where your boarding card was a QIR Code. I was surprised that it took them that long. But, the problem was that by the time I got to the gate, for some reason I lost access to it and had to fall back to my paper version.
post #18 of 30
where do i find the firmware
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I try to print at least one thing a year just to make sure the printer is still working correctly. My wife and daughter however keep the toner companies in business.

Funny!

I have, what I thought at the time, was a beautiful Brother MFC-795CW...$99 on sale, small footprint, wireless, color "touch" screen, all-in-one, a boatload of ink from Amazon for 10% of what OfficeMax and Target charge.

And I hardly use it.

Maybe to print some directions to a restaurant or something...but, I'm about to buy a Garmin for the car. I thought my iPhone 4 would be good for GPS but it's too small and keeps turning off...

PS. I have the printer in my closet (plugged in) and b/c it's wireless, I don't have to stare at it all day!

Best and Happy Holidays to everyone out there!
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The addition of six new printers makes a total of 18 printers from HP that are now compatible with AirPrint. Five existing printers offer AirPrint functionality out of the box, while another seven had previously released firmware updates that added the ability to print from iOS 4.2.

Does anyone know where I can find the complete listing of the 18 compatible printers?
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow, you really are retro! Other than the boarding pass all else I keep on a MacBookPro or an iPad and iPhone. It sounds like you don't trust your backup protocols.

I rarely print, but I do have a need sometimes. If I'm on my phone and come across something I need to print, it would be nice to just hit print rather than firing up a computer. It's just a convenience issue. If printing were dead then printer sales would be dead too. Seems like printers are very much alive.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I was quite impressed what American Airlines offered me that option - where your boarding card was a QIR Code. I was surprised that it took them that long. But, the problem was that by the time I got to the gate, for some reason I lost access to it and had to fall back to my paper version.

Air New Zealand have a nice little free app that you can use to get onto the plane if you have no baggage. If you do have baggage you can use the code to check in your luggage on the self service kiosks. Much faster than queuing up!
I was always petrified I would lose my printed out boarding card etc, but now it is all electronic there are no worries.
No, we don't have Gate Rape here in Godzone like you poor folk in America. I can't understand how people can stomach the TSA...

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Reply

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Reply
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would be nice if they let us use printers that people actually buy and use. No one is going to buy a useless colour inkjet printer or a multi-function device just to use AirPrint.

These are all cheap consumer printers with a life expectancy shorter than that of the cartridges they use. The majority of HP's business is serious laser printers for office use, but still none of those work with AirPrint.

Good points you made there.

I would even go a little further: Instead of bringing out myriads of new printer models,
why can't HP do a serious job and update the firmware of perfectly capable existing printers to include Airprint capability? HP often has been paying little attention to the maintenance of printer firmware for printers once they are out in the field. Why not concentrate on only a few models, for which you can buy upgrades in firmware(*). Imagine how much storage space HP could save having a leaner distribution channel. (Shh... careful... what if other manufacturers came up with such a more efficient strategy first?)

The possible objection that HP is in the business of selling new printers doesn't hold much water, since a set of *full* cartridges (be they for ink jet of for laserjet) tends to cost more than a new printer (less development costs etc.). The decision to buy a new printer should only be based on printer malfunction.

Oh wait,
HP you can score ecological points by allowing people to *keep* their printer and to buy print cartridges instead

(*) For those who like roaming the store shelves, you could even market the firmware add-ons in a tiny box containing a new *skin* (or set of flashy stickers showing the new capabilities) for the printer, in addition to a CD or USB stick with the firmware add-on.
post #24 of 30
I have just installed the firmware update on my Officejet Pro 8500A and tested AirPrint using my business card printing app "KaiCards".

It worked like a charm, including borderless printing. Great!
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post

I have just installed the firmware update on my Officejet Pro 8500A and tested AirPrint using my business card printing app "KaiCards".

It worked like a charm, including borderless printing. Great!


How did you do that? I am still struggling to just find any relevant firmware on HPs wonderful website.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersen View Post

How did you do that? I am still struggling to just find any relevant firmware on HPs wonderful website.

Directly on the printer's touch display:
  • ->
  • Setup
  • Web Services Setup
  • Product Updates
  • Check for Product Update
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't understand why they're only doing that for their inkjets so far. I only use an inkjet for very specific circumstances, and I avoid the all-in-one type device because they don't seem to do anything very well. I print a lot for my business, I think of it as a courtesy to provide a receipt and instructions with my product. But regular consumers shouldn't need to print very often. I recall that printing from iOS was on a lot of wish lists, I don't think it's in my top five.

Because the printer MUST support the language.

Inkjets don't really have a printer language like PCL or PS, they are pretty much just RAW images, in fact they pretty much just print images instead of text and the like. In many respects this is better than the stupid way PS and PCL works because an image prints no matter what font or photo and all that but it also means the print jobs are ridiculously massive.

Ever printed a PDF to an inkjet and seen the file go from 10KB to 6MB? That's essentially what happens on an inkjet. This does happen on lasers but it's mostly the printer that does the work not the PC and therefore that 10KB job gets sent to the printer and the printer makes the 6MB file.

Seriously, having seen what happens to a print job to an inkjet printer because they print to Citrix which sends the job to the Citrix print queue which converts it to the image which then gets sent back to the printer over a 1/2Mb link between Auckland and Wellington I hope HP, Epson, Kyocera, etc get on board and create a laser version of AirPrint but until then it's only inkjet because the printers don't have a language to worry about.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

I can only assume you are just Trolling, unless you work for a magical company

Neither. The only things I print any more are airline e-tickets, only once or twice a year. I really think Apple's limited resources should be spent on something better than improving the printing experience, or they will get it perfect just in time for the last person to retire their printer. You mention corporations but surely they would mostly have wired printers?
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Neither. The only things I print any more are airline e-tickets, only once or twice a year. I really think Apple's limited resources should be spent on something better than improving the printing experience, or they will get it perfect just in time for the last person to retire their printer. You mention corporations but surely they would mostly have wired printers?

I don't know about those printers, but my wired network printer can be used wirelessly because I have an access point on the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Because the printer MUST support the language.

Inkjets don't really have a printer language like PCL or PS, they are pretty much just RAW images, in fact they pretty much just print images instead of text and the like. In many respects this is better than the stupid way PS and PCL works because an image prints no matter what font or photo and all that but it also means the print jobs are ridiculously massive.

So there aren't any equivalent modes in lasers? Or a way to wrap a full-page raster into PCL? It would seem to me that it would be well worth getting a PCL and PS out anyway, because it's very commonly used.
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would be nice if they let us use printers that people actually buy and use. No one is going to buy a useless colour inkjet printer or a multi-function device just to use AirPrint.

These are all cheap consumer printers with a life expectancy shorter than that of the cartridges they use. The majority of HP's business is serious laser printers for office use, but still none of those work with AirPrint.

I agree. Wake me up when I can print to my HP Laserjet printer...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HP updates six printers to work with Apple's AirPrint