or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store - Page 2

post #41 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Dear "Sprockkets" You do not understand what was reported or "cleared up" pertaining to this issue. There were reports that did overstate the damage caused by this Android app, initially saying that the app was collecting passwords and SMS messages. It turns out it was "only" harvesting information it had no reason to be, including users' phone numbers, VM passwords, and hardware details.

It only got your numbers, NOT the VM PASSWORD OR hardware details.

Quote:
The fact that your PC World link assured everyone that the issue had been over reported does not also mean that the issue wasn't valid, nor that Android software is not capable of collecting inappropriate data. If you actually follow your own link, you'll see that this case was indeed proof that Android apps can and do harvest data they should not be collecting. So no, you are wrong and Dan is correct.



Uh oh, Android requires permission to allow apps to get to your information. Damn, what shitty security it has, giving people the power to deny access to personal information.

Quote:
Also, what is the motivation behind your lying personal attacks on this author? You have previosly posted and reposted the idea that Dan "predicted" that Microsoft's Natal/Kenect "would be a still born vaporware" and that it would flop, but as I posted earlier, this is a lie, too.

I don't want to read a bunch of trolls making unsubstantiated, ad hominem attacks on AI authors. If they say something that is incorrect, point it out and back it up with facts. But stop lying and smearing your personal attacks. That's unfair and unprofessional.

Really? MR. DED said Natal would be vaporware just like Courier. So, is Natal/Kinect available for sale, selling 2.5 million of them, or is it still stillborn? Did Win7 flop too? And if the CDMA iphone comes out, what then?

You can argue semantics all you want.

All I ask from Dan is this: "I was wrong." Apparently like Steve Jobs, neither can do no wrong.
post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The point is though that the information was sill taken, and it's still possible for it to be taken. There is nothing in the Android market that stops an app developer doing this kind of thing and we only have the word of the few people that have been caught doing it that their intent was not nefarious.

Right. For you too:

post #43 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Gameloft's titles are in Android Market? I see the company sells apps from its own web page, but I don't see any legit titles on Android Market.

http://www.gameloft.com/android-games/top/
http://www.doubletwist.com/apps/search/?q=sandstorm

The reason for this, according to the article here and its sources (from the mouth of Google) is that Android Market only supports games up to 25MB, with a new 50MB limit coming. Sandstorm is (on the iOS) is nearly 300MB. How could it possibly be in Android Market?

Please verify!

Gameloft sell Asphalt 5 on Android market which is only 9mb in size but it downloads all assets once the title is launched on the sd card. Once all assets are downloaded it is over 100mb in size and looks just like its iOS counterpart.

As the installer for Sandstorm is only 10mb it could be distributed on Android Market with the following 200mb downloaded to the SD card afterwards.

EA have done the same with FIFA10 and will undoubtedly do the same with Need for Speed: Shift. The implied reduced quality of iOS ports on Android due to download constraints is wrong.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #44 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is just a long argument for stealing, and not an original one at that. You are apparently justified in stealing because the apps that you steal are not up to your 'standards of quality,' or because you don't have 'time to waste?' Wow. Just, wow.

Yet somehow you have a legal job of some kind it seems and are actually a grown up?

If you don't think there isn't anything wrong with your behaviour, maybe you'd like to man up and publish your name and address here as well. Maybe tell us who you work for so we can phone up your boss and tell her what an upstanding little thief you are?

What I don't get is why anyone would bother to brag about being a thief to a bunch of strangers on the Internet, yet be enough of a coward to hide it.

Where did he say he stole it? You unaware you don't have to get apps from the Google Market? Just because they don't force people to download from a market (though carriers force this restriction) doesn't mean he pirated them.
post #45 of 116
Everything gets better in time. When I go to replace my Blackberry next year I'll evaluate every platform including Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7.

I'm a bit tired of RIM and disappointed by their new OS and hardware offerings. I expected a Storm III and instead we got a Torch (what a piece of junk) and a Playbook. Neither appeal to me. Maybe they'll catch-up next year but I'll have moved on by then.
post #46 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

It only got your numbers, NOT the VM PASSWORD OR hardware details.

Uh oh, Android requires permission to allow apps to get to your information. Damn, what shitty security it has, giving people the power to deny access to personal information.

As the article notes, DVD Jon wrote that Google shouldn't demand that Android users be CS PhDs to understand the implications of installing software and being given a ton of opaque, absurd "do you agree" mumbojumbo that offers all the security of Vista's UACs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Really? MR. DED said Natal would be vaporware just like Courier. So, is Natal/Kinect available for sale, selling 2.5 million of them, or is it still stillborn? Did Win7 flop too? And if the CDMA iphone comes out, what then?

You can argue semantics all you want.

All I ask from Dan is this: "I was wrong." Apparently like Steve Jobs, neither can do no wrong.

No, you want to keep repeating lies as rapidly as you can because you don't think anyone will catch you in them. I posted an answer to your accusations that you replied to, so you know very well that you are outright lying about this ridiculous matter of the Wii-Xbox game controller as if it is some serious matter. It isn't, but your lying about it is getting old.

-

As I noted before, I did a Google search of RoughlyDrafted.com and couldn't find any mention of Kinect. I did see a half dozen references of Project Natal, the code name of Kinect. Nowhere did Daniel "predict" that this would be a "complete and utter flop based on his research." Are you intentionally lying, or does it come natural?

In one article, he describes MS' Xbox division as "a home entertainment business that has rarely made any money despite billions in investment. Its brightest star is an imitative effort to copy the interactive controller that Nintendo debuted for the Wii back in 2006. When you hear vaporware incantations of Project Natal, it means youve stumbled into a seance of the faithful trying to reanimate Microsofts relevance as the god of imitations."

So rather than calling Kinect a "flop," he called it Microsoft's' "brightest star," albeit an imitative effort to copy the Wii controller.

Also, a year ago, he said of pundits: "It also gets tedious to try to string along a pretense of excitement about such duds as Surface and the vaporware dreams of a year or two out: Project Natal, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows were getting serious now Mobile 7, while still maintaining a straight face."

Calling Natal "vaporware of a year or two out" was certainly accurate to do a year ago.

Shortly before that, he wrote "Microsoft is also well known for advertising bullshit it cant deliver. Bill Gates talked up OS/2, floated a vision of Cairo that never materialized, falsely proclaimed himself the Moses of tablet computing, and blew so much vaporware at competitors (Bob, ActiveMovie, DirectMovie, Surround Video, Chromeffects, WinFS, SPOT, Mira, PlaysForSure, Advanced Streaming Format, Soapbox, Longhorn, Surface, Natal, Courier) that it wouldnt exactly be a surprise if the company decided that the best way to compete with bad news was to generate some distracting good news that just never seemed to materialize after peoples attention spans moved on."

Project Natal was certainly "vaporware aimed at competitors," even it if eventually materialized in what must be a nearly profitless product more than a year later. The company has managed to sell it to a tiny fraction of the Xbox 360 installed base (2 million of about 45 million Xbox 360s).

But since Daniel never referred to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," you should certainly stop repeating the lie that he once did.
post #47 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Building an iTunes-like desktop sync application for Android and policing its software catalog would require Google to make significant investments in the platform. However, Google employees have noted that the company sees web apps as the future, rather than a native app platform like that built by Apple, or the new mobile platforms being released, including Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook, and HP's webOS, acquired from Palm.

Why would they need to actually build an iTunes-like desktop sync app? It already syncs wirelessly!

Admittedly I've never used an android device, but assuming the wireless sync is like what WP7 has then copying Apple would just be a step backwards. After all why should you actually need a computer to make your phone work? It doesn't make sense.
post #48 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

As the article notes, DVD Jon wrote that Google shouldn't demand that Android users be CS PhDs to understand the implications of installing software and being given a ton of opaque, absurd "do you agree" mumbojumbo that offers all the security of Vista's UACs.

If you can't understand what "This app will access X", then get a dumbphone.

Quote:
No, you want to keep repeating lies as rapidly as you can because you don't think anyone will catch you in them. I posted an answer to your accusations that you replied to, so you know very well that you are outright lying about this ridiculous matter of the Wii-Xbox game controller as if it is some serious matter. It isn't, but your lying about it is getting old.

-

As I noted before, I did a Google search of RoughlyDrafted.com and couldn't find any mention of Kinect. I did see a half dozen references of Project Natal, the code name of Kinect. Nowhere did Daniel "predict" that this would be a "complete and utter flop based on his research." Are you intentionally lying, or does it come natural?

Really? Did it ever occur to you that him posting about KInect admits he was wrong about Natal being vaporware? Too stupid to realize that?


Quote:
In one article, he describes MS' Xbox division as "a home entertainment business that has rarely made any money despite billions in investment. Its brightest star is an imitative effort to copy the interactive controller that Nintendo debuted for the Wii back in 2006. When you hear vaporware incantations of “Project Natal,” it means you’ve stumbled into a seance of the faithful trying to reanimate Microsoft’s relevance as the god of imitations."

So rather than calling Kinect a "flop," he called it Microsoft's' "brightest star," albeit an imitative effort to copy the Wii controller.

Also, a year ago, he said of pundits: "It also gets tedious to try to string along a pretense of excitement about such duds as Surface and the vaporware dreams of a year or two out: Project Natal, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows “we’re getting serious now” Mobile 7, while still maintaining a straight face."

Calling Natal "vaporware of a year or two out" was certainly accurate to do a year ago.

Shortly before that, he wrote "Microsoft is also well known for advertising bullshit it can’t deliver. Bill Gates talked up OS/2, floated a vision of Cairo that never materialized, falsely proclaimed himself the Moses of tablet computing, and blew so much vaporware at competitors (Bob, ActiveMovie, DirectMovie, Surround Video, Chromeffects, WinFS, SPOT, Mira, PlaysForSure, Advanced Streaming Format, Soapbox, Longhorn, Surface, Natal, Courier) that it wouldn’t exactly be a surprise if the company decided that the best way to compete with bad news was to generate some distracting good news that just never seemed to materialize after people’s attention spans moved on."

Project Natal was certainly "vaporware aimed at competitors," even it if eventually materialized in what must be a nearly profitless product more than a year later. The company has managed to sell it to a tiny fraction of the Xbox 360 installed base (2 million of about 45 million Xbox 360s).

But since Daniel never referred to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," you should certainly stop repeating the lie that he once did.

Really? You expect 2 months of Kinect sales to equal the years the console was out? What else? What part of a product being released making it not vaporware do you not fucking understand?

Anything else you post is just ad nauseam, so really, just drop it. DED needs to address this, not you.
post #49 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Why would they need to actually build an iTunes-like desktop sync app? It already syncs wirelessly!

Admittedly I've never used an android device, but assuming the wireless sync is like what WP7 has then copying Apple would just be a step backwards. After all why should you actually need a computer to make your phone work? It doesn't make sense.

Wireless syncing would be a nice feature to have with iOS, but if I had to pick between only syncing to a computer or only syncing wirelessly, I'd go with the computer hands down.
post #50 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Wireless syncing would be a nice feature to have with iOS, but if I had to pick between only syncing to a computer or only syncing wirelessly, I'd go with the computer hands down.

Why do you prefer the computer? I almost never use iTunes (which I absolutely detest) to install apps on my iPad or iPod Touch.

Also from the AppBrain site, you can install apps directly from the web onto your phone without even having the phone next to you. Very cool.
post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

It only got your numbers, NOT the VM PASSWORD OR hardware details.





Uh oh, Android requires permission to allow apps to get to your information. Damn, what shitty security it has, giving people the power to deny access to personal information.

Dude bad example. Of course handcent SMS needs permission to access one's SMS/MMS msgs because its a SMS app or else it wouldn't work.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Why do you prefer the computer? I almost never use iTunes (which I absolutely detest) to install apps on my iPad or iPod Touch.

Also from the AppBrain site, you can install apps directly from the web onto your phone without even having the phone next to you. Very cool.

Installing apps is only one of the things you need to do. I also load up a boatload of video, music, documents and such. I spend a large part of my life in front of a computer. I'd be plugging in my phone to charge it anyway... might as well sync at the same time.

Like I said, I'd love to have better cloud syncing on iDevices, but I'd still want the computer for easier management.
post #53 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

See for yourself how they run. I've personally had no issues with them but others may have.


Like junk, like Android.

Nice trailer.

iPhone!
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #54 of 116
all the insufferable self-righteous techtard trolls are out in force... (oops, I meant thieves)
post #55 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like junk, like Android.

Nice trailer.

iPhone!

Those are two different games.

I can only assume that you mistakenly linked to the incorrect Android video, so I took the liberty of finding the correct one for you.

You're welcome!
post #56 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopata View Post

pretty neat update i'd say

way more beautiful than iOS app store

its just getting better and better don't worry.
what we are waiting though is for an desktop application =)
come one google.. make it faster



they should leave it the way it is now. anyway, what's up with all these green-ish color on every android phones? this shitty app store is not even close to apple app store.
post #57 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Oh no! Android sold well because they [Google and friends] stole pinch to zoom!

Did they really? I never noticed, because I couldn't get past the crappy hardware and OS.
post #58 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopata View Post

thats write i guess..

we will probably see an Chrome Android App in Chrome Web Store instead of a Win/Mac app..
makes more sense..


You sir do not have a clue!

Where do you think Google Chrome got their initial web apps?

Hint the Apple Web site for iOS web apps.

Chrome apps are always web apps and will always be decidedly inferior to iOS apps from the Apple App Store and Apps in the Apple Mac Store. Your connection will slow do to the kiddies hitting the net when they get out of school for the day and your Chrome device suddenly becomes sluggish too.

But when I look over the actual down loadable Android apps I could cry. So much crap! Very little of it compares to Apple's iOS apps, especially for my favorite iPad and iPhone games. I rather pay a buck or two and get something decent then steal this garbage which is a waste of time.

I had high hopes that Google fixed it but it seems to me they made it worse with the promise of giving my money back for crap is now limited to fifteen minutes.

No more money spent here, it is not worth it.

And I am willing to spend money NOT TO HAVE ADS!

Nothing ruins the portable experience more than ads!
I delete apps that have ads faster than crap going through a duck.
IMHO that stinks just like duck droppings on the farm too.

With Android it seems you are always stepping in it! What was Google thinking?
post #59 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Wow...





Erm.. That is wrong:



There are plenty of "large games for iOS" avaiable on Android, even Gameloft's Modern Combat: Sandstorm you mentioned earlier.

Are u the reincarnated daharder ?
post #60 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Why would they need to actually build an iTunes-like desktop sync app? It already syncs wirelessly!

Admittedly I've never used an android device, but assuming the wireless sync is like what WP7 has then copying Apple would just be a step backwards. After all why should you actually need a computer to make your phone work? It doesn't make sense.

Tch the google I/O 2010 conference video. They're never going to make a desktop client, it's so backwards to have a phone sync with a computer it is unreal! Unlike apple google have hears of something called the INTERNET. Perfect for transferring and syncing data. If google ever release their web based android market then it would totally blow iTunes away. iTunes is stupid bloatware left over from last generations gadget (the iPod) that apple seem to cram everything they think someone needs for iOS into. Where is the logic of a tablet computer having to sync with desktop music software before you can even turn it on for the first time?

This leads to another point. Apple fanboys always point to android and laugh at the time it takes for an OS update. Let's consider the update process of both platforms: iPhone you have to connect your phone to a computer, if it's a mac this part runs ok, if not the fun begins with apples joke coding efforts for PCs. Then most likely you have to download a new version of iBloat otherwise known as iTunes, just to download the update! Then wait for iBloat to install and reconnect your device. By this time I start to get really pissed off. Then you connect your iPhone again. Then and only then can you download the update when prompted. Then you have to perform a sync and full back up and finally you can transfer the update.

Compare to android: notification appears on phone, click ok to apply update. Done!

Furthermore apple want to take this further by adding more bloat to
iTunes with a mac app store. The model is so backwards it's beyond belief!
post #61 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Are u the reincarnated daharder ?

ROFL no! Was/is he a member here then? I know who you are on about tho as he is on nearly every Engadget article posting.

He is defiantly dedicated to the Android cause tho with what I've seen from him. I'm only posting for the discussion. I was lead to the article after reading it from Google News and with its inaccuracies I thought I'd join in on the discussion.

No malice intended!

Having a read around, this seems like a decent Mac community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like junk, like Android.

Nice trailer.

iPhone!

If you'd taken the time to watch the videos in the link I provided, you'd have seen an equal Android port from Gameloft. It seems that you have been corrected already in your deception but nice try. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=55
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #62 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


Really? Did it ever occur to you that him posting about KInect admits he was wrong about Natal being vaporware? Too stupid to realize that?

You are the worst farse around here. Until you provide a link to your claims you are nothing but hot air and a buffoon, or shall we say vapourware? I really don't care one way or the other if DED said or didn't, but if you can't show a single link to the text where he said Natal was vapourware, you are either lying because you have an agenda, or a troll that should leave mum's basement.

Don't bother answering without providing a link to your claims.
post #63 of 116
This article is so one sided it's laughable, but expected since this is Apple Insider talking about a competing technology.

As a developer for both Android and iOS, a lot of the arguments in the article and the comments that follow are simply misinformed. I'll clear some of these differences up so Android users don't have to troll and iOS lovers don't have an inferiority complex.

Quality of apps in Android Market vs App Store

This argument is old and just plain wrong. The quality of both stores' apps are about the same. iOS is full of crap .99 apps that are utterly useless. Anyone remember the fart apps that filled the app store so much Apple specifically told developers they weren't going to approve any more? What about Android's "insert intellectual property" slide puzzle apps that blanket the market? The truth of the matter is that both stores are full of CRAP. The App Store is filled with more crap due to the size but the ratio of crap will probably be about the same. Furthermore, what's one man's junk is another man's treasure. A nice metaphor to describe an open market (economics not Android) where the consumer decides what is crap. Objectively this is a subjective argument because difference of opinions as to what's quality.

Security

This argument is partially the fault of ignorance and OS compatibilities. Both OSs use a ton of open source software. Android just opens all of it while Apple only opens what they're required to open to comply with the license. The difference comes into who's the gatekeeper of the apps. Apple doesn't allow developers to compete with Apple directly. While one may be able to use the private APIs to receive messages about the devices state or events, doing so will get your app banned from the store. Even accessing the open source software Apple used to build the damn OS will get you banned. Google on the other hand isn't the gatekeeper (usually, depending on carrier) to what you install on your device because you can install apps outside of the market. In order not to sacrifice that freedom, they decided to provide warning messages (which most users ignore) about what the app has access to. Unfortunately, bad design by Google make apps ask for full permission when they only wanted a single thing. Want to have your app send a text message to your friends, well you're going to have to ask for permission to read the text message database in the phone in your meta file (like plist for iOS if you're curious) and permission to do things "that cost money." You can't specify just "send messages only," yet.

Piracy and Intellectual Property

This argument is unnecessarily one sided too. Both of these platforms use IP without regard to who actually owns the IP. Apple is a little better at detecting copyright infringement but a thief of IP themselves. For instance, only in the App Store have developers found themselves suddenly banned from the store when Apple patents their app, right down to the GUI in the diagrams. Google just let's IP infringement run rampant on their market with very little way to file a legitimate DMCA notice (Location of infringement: err... the Android Market?). At the same time, policing apps on Android Market is a waste of time because apps can be installed from anywhere else. Infringers could simply pay for an adMob ad that links to their Apk file on the web somewhere and the user would install it without even looking at the security notice (see above about Android security).

As for piracy, enabling is the key factor here. I think it's disingenuous to say Android users are all pirates. I know a ton of Android users who never download anything outside of the market; however, Android's open ecosystem is the enabler of piracy. I can text everyone on my contact list a short URL to an apk file on the net and most of them (depending on the carrier) can install the app without question. Would these people rather steal an app than pay for it? That's debatable, as I'm sure most of these users wouldn't know they were stealing an app since there's no way to distinguish a paid app vs unpaid app on an Android device, except through the Android Market. I would ask the developer why he hasn't done anything to encourage the app user to pay for the app. Push an update out to the Market and see if you can get people to purchase the app (since they can't update without paying for the app first). iOS is slightly different but not immune. Anyone with a jail broken device has heard of installous--the one stop shop for all paid apps pirated. While installous would like to make the "try before you buy because Apple doesn't give refunds" excuse as the reason for its existence, everyone knows it's being used to pirate apps and provide an easy way to do it, full of descriptions, screenshots, and even the price. I was shocked to even find my apps there before I went to a "free to play, just touch an ad every now and then" distribution model. Piracy on iOS comes with the price of loss of support from Apple if your device goes haywire, but it's just as rampant.

Hardware
This is one argument that I find ridiculous. Mostly because proponents of both sides ignore the fact that the parts in these devices are made by just a handful of manufactures. Apple doesn't have a chip fabrication factory somewhere in China. They pay samsung or foxxconn for that. LCD screens for mobile devices come from about 6 manufactures in Asia. The ability to execute great software with hardware is where Apple finds the competitive advantage, but anyone running 4.2 on an iPhone 3G can testify that it's not always superb. Android devices tend to outpace iOS by miles in terms of hardware while Apple outpaces Android in ease of use in software. I do agree that Android device hardware tends to be outdated by the time its released, but so has every computer, including Macs, for the last 15 years. Moore's law is reappearing in the mobile landscape again. This is general good for Android proponents because it will eventually reduce the price of new devices as the competitive environment heats up. Apple will do as they always have: wait until most of the hardware is obsolete, add a few innovations, mark up the price astronomically, and rake in the profits. Nothing wrong with that model either as it's worked for Apple every since Job's return. They've got $40 billion in cash with the highest margins in the industry and since they continue to target the lower upper and upper middle class markets, I don't see this position changing. Why Apple fanboys are crying that Apple lower the price on iOS devices to attract the working class is beyond me and not very business smart either. Apple doesn't and shouldn't release a new device with the latest and fastest parts every three months to be competitive.

I apologize for the long post, but both sets of Android and iOS fanboys/girls are claiming superiority when in reality they're both not wearing any clothes. *
post #64 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

This article is so one sided it's laughable, but expected since this is Apple Insider talking about a competing technology.

As a developer for both Android and iOS, a lot of the arguments in the article and the comments that follow are simply misinformed. I'll clear some of these differences up so Android users don't have to troll and iOS lovers don't have an inferiority complex.


I apologize for the long post, but both sets of Android and iOS fanboys/girls are claiming superiority when in reality they're both not wearing any clothes. *

If this was supposed to be a well balanced, unbiased post, it failed miserably. You are as biased as DED, but at the other end. Clothes, or not.
post #65 of 116
Apples driving target market is us users.

Googles driving target market is advertisers.

Thats going to affect the experience!

(As for carriers who want to control users, Apple stand on our side in that battle, while Google caters to the carriers for the sake of getting ads in front of as many people as possible.)
post #66 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Right. For you too:


This actually proves the point that people are going to allow Android apps to do whatever the heck the app wants. Why is Tetris asking for all those permissions? Doesn't make sense. It really is Vista UAC all over again.

As you or someone mentioned maybe the issue is lack of granularity in the asking for permissions.
post #67 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apples driving target market is us users.

Googles driving target market is advertisers.

Thats going to affect the experience!

(As for carriers who want to control users, Apple stand on our side in that battle, while Google caters to the carriers for the sake of getting ads in front of as many people as possible.)

You are completely misguided. You suggest google sits down with carriers and asks what they want to do with it. You will actually find that google build an open operating system and then let people do what they want with it. It is not restrictive. Consumers can then choose whether they want a phone with some of the carrier extras and the free market chooses what is best.
post #68 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

You are completely misguided. You suggest google sits down with carriers and asks what they want to do with it. You will actually find that google build an open operating system and then let people do what they want with it. It is not restrictive. Consumers can then choose whether they want a phone with some of the carrier extras and the free market chooses what is best.

Why does Google call it open then? What you describe sounds not open at all!
post #69 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

You are completely misguided. You suggest google sits down with carriers and asks what they want to do with it. You will actually find that google build an open operating system and then let people do what they want with it. It is not restrictive. Consumers can then choose whether they want a phone with some of the carrier extras and the free market chooses what is best.

Service providers can also customize Android to their heart's content. The result is that Android is poorly defined. I could paint "Android" on a brick and sell it as a handset. A free market gets confused by this variability/lack of standardization and, consequently, operates inefficiently. Developers don't necessarily know what to expect and consumers buy into a product based on misinformation.
post #70 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

A great perspective on how Android buyers are being grossly misled about what a crappy OS Android is. The majority of Android device owners are buying devices that are already obsolete the day they receive them, and are totally misled about the supposed "advantages", features and functions of these devices. The carriers and handset makers certainly command some of the blame for this situation as their laziness and inability to develop their own inventive and innovative platforms is causing them to take this easy road around a truly superior platform presented in the iPhone, iPad and iOS.

The other twits buying these devices are the unethical techtards who think that it makes them special to be able to customize every single device in their lives to their hearts content, and that its ok to steal content from others. The fact that almost HALF of the US users of a major developer's game are stealing it is offensive yet these toads think its perfectly OK, and Google somehow thinks its OK to facilitate these thefts unencumbered. Shameless.

Wakeup people before you buy this unsafe, misleading and unethical Android junkware.

Bless you FREERANGE!
I'm going to be laughing my a** off all day while thinking about what you wrote. As the brits would say. SPOT ON!!
I love good tech and probably like like you I have gone through so much tech junk over the years I cry thinking about all that money I spent back in days.
But today my tech consist of iPad(16 gig wifi/3G), 16 gig iPhone 4, 13inch MacBook aluminum before it became a MacBook pro and a psp( God Of War edition:red)and the 250 gig ps3. My sh** is complete!!! Apple tv next week and boom. That's all she wrote.
Android? I'd rather roast on a smoking pile of oak for being accused a damn witch than touch that crap.
The fit and finish. The experienrce. Apple's swag is as top tier as you can get.
post #71 of 116
look, all differences between the Android and iOS app stores and other things boil down to the different basic business models of Apple and Google:

for Apple, in the end YOU are the CUSTOMER. they want to sell you hardware. their profit comes from those hardware sales. they want you to buy other Apple ecosystem hardware too (and most do).

for Google, YOU are the MERCHANDISE they sell to advertisers - who are their real customers. their profit comes from ad sales. the telcos are also trying to get a cut of this action somehow too.

this is the cold-blooded reality that all the Android fans are in denial about and refuse to face head on. instead they fall for the "open" b.s. hook, line, and sinker, and lock their digital souls up in the Google cloud.

yeah, i'm exaggerating a bit there. but not much!
post #72 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwhat View Post

Those are two different games.

I can only assume that you mistakenly linked to the incorrect Android video, so I took the liberty of finding the correct one for you.

You're welcome!

You are aware of the difference between a TRAILER (i.e. a movie made by a company to advertise a game) and ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

It's like the difference between a Big Mac on a poster and what you see when you open the bag.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #73 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Dude bad example. Of course handcent SMS needs permission to access one's SMS/MMS msgs because its a SMS app or else it wouldn't work.

It was to compare a normal sms app vs. the wall paper app. It's all good.
post #74 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This actually proves the point that people are going to allow Android apps to do whatever the heck the app wants. Why is Tetris asking for all those permissions? Doesn't make sense. It really is Vista UAC all over again.

As you or someone mentioned maybe the issue is lack of granularity in the asking for permissions.

True, ios has it, but I cannot confirm if Android has it because I don't have one.

But to blame Google/Android for this is just as bad as blaming Apple for allowing someone to install "codecs" for quicktime which are really trojans.
post #75 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You are aware of the difference between a TRAILER (i.e. a movie made by a company to advertise a game) and ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

It's like the difference between a Big Mac on a poster and what you see when you open the bag.

Look the same to me.

Regardless, these arguments remind me of my middle school days of us arguing who had better graphics, SNES or Genesis.
post #76 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Tch the google I/O 2010 conference video. They're never going to make a desktop client, it's so backwards to have a phone sync with a computer it is unreal! Unlike apple google have hears of something called the INTERNET. Perfect for transferring and syncing data. If google ever release their web based android market then it would totally blow iTunes away. iTunes is stupid bloatware left over from last generations gadget (the iPod) that apple seem to cram everything they think someone needs for iOS into. Where is the logic of a tablet computer having to sync with desktop music software before you can even turn it on for the first time?

This leads to another point. Apple fanboys always point to android and laugh at the time it takes for an OS update. Let's consider the update process of both platforms: iPhone you have to connect your phone to a computer, if it's a mac this part runs ok, if not the fun begins with apples joke coding efforts for PCs. Then most likely you have to download a new version of iBloat otherwise known as iTunes, just to download the update! Then wait for iBloat to install and reconnect your device. By this time I start to get really pissed off. Then you connect your iPhone again. Then and only then can you download the update when prompted. Then you have to perform a sync and full back up and finally you can transfer the update.

Compare to android: notification appears on phone, click ok to apply update. Done!

Furthermore apple want to take this further by adding more bloat to
iTunes with a mac app store. The model is so backwards it's beyond belief!

What's this, then?

At least iTunes is available on more than one platform.

Sure glad I don't have to sync over 25GB of files OTA, it would take forever with my 1.5Mbps ADSL connection and cost too much with my 2GB phone plan.

I sync with iTunes when I'm charging via USB, which I do while I sleep.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #77 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

You are the worst farse around here. Until you provide a link to your claims you are nothing but hot air and a buffoon, or shall we say vapourware? I really don't care one way or the other if DED said or didn't, but if you can't show a single link to the text where he said Natal was vapourware, you are either lying because you have an agenda, or a troll that should leave mum's basement.

Don't bother answering without providing a link to your claims.

Is this the best you can do? Are you english? Wrong colour today?

Well I guess you are even more retarded than Archos because he himself quoted from roughlydrafted himself. But I guess you can't do that, sooooo

No, I'll let you use your find function yourself. Search for the word "bullshit". That's right, "bullshit", and you will find it. Yes, on this very page.

Oh, and btw, he wrote that in Oct 2009, when Microsoft provided demos of Natal, even on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...t-natal/320589

THAT was back in June of 09. But hell, providing actual demos on broadcast TV won't stop him from calling it vaporware. Suck on that Archos.

DED is RIGHT on the crap Microsoft did. But he is clearly wrong on Natal. That's it. Oh, and of course, Win7 and the other stupid crap he posted earlier.
post #78 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Look the same to me.

Regardless, these arguments remind me of my middle school days of us arguing who had better graphics, SNES or Genesis.

/yawn,whatever.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #79 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

/yawn,whatever.

Out of interest, why did you link to a completely different game when you responded to me earlier?

You come across as someone who is taking this personally.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #80 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

There are tons of advantages for both platforms. Android's just suits more people better. Which is why Android outsells iPhones 2:1.

there is a difference between selling android devices to apple's 2:1, which is NOT happening and what is actually happening. What is android BOGO Free that EVERY android device after less than a month being released. I laugh because there is a 3-4 week window, and after that any device with Android on a carrier with a contract is sold as BOGO...android whores its OS to any crap device and it still has to OUTFREE...not outSELL.

Apple never has to GIVE AWAY a thing. in fact they can not make them fast enough.

That's a huge difference....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store