or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

I don't understand this distinction. What is the difference between a large device running an OS designed for a phone and a "true tablet"?

What the heck is a true tablet? How are the true tablets distinguished from devices that are larger than a phone, but run a cellphone OS?

2.2 isn't modified for tablet use. It's purely a phone OS, which is why Google states that tablet manufacturers shouldn't use it. There are no apps specifically for Android tablets yet either. When 3.0 comes out, next year, then there will be an Android tablet OS, but until then, any Android tablet size device is just a very large phone.
post #82 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

I am a linux user but I will tell you guys a couple of thing:

I tried the Galaxy and it is awsome to take to the field. Believe it or not, I would buy the Galaxy instead of the Ipad anytime.

I never played with the IPad and will never will for my current work activities. You apple fan boys need to stop whining like babies and understand that what is right for you is not right for everyone else.

Your super-duper man needs to get over himself too and assume that he makes great mistakes during it's performances on stage. There is a huge market out there, in several industries for that matter, that it's still unexplored. I see and work in some of those markets everyday and when I saw the Galaxy I saw it by the ideal size of the product. I spoke with several people around and they agreed when they tried it.

The people that I work with don't have time to go a Starbucks every week.
Most off you you apple guys are a different type of crowd and Steve has you already. For some the other people like me that does not a give a slick about what happens in your apple world, the size matters and the IPad is too big to take to the field. History will tell If Steve was wise enough and wants to keep up with his statement when he said that tablets smaller than the IPad are dead on arrival.

An Ipad is great for indoor work, I am sure, but for outdoor work apple needs to catch up with the size. Iwill give you an example: I would need a bluetooth camera for me to use the Ipad to take photos. No way I will carry that monster on a my field visits. The galaxy has the right size, fits in my big pants pocket, has a screen big enough to make notes on the photos, and hass all the other functionality of the Ipad that I need. Sure, I pad has a gazillion more apps but the android platform is catching up. then again, how many of you use a gazillion of apps? I need about 10 to 20 apps and everything else is not needed, just too kill time. Since my schedule is pretty busy, I don't have mush time to kill.

Regards.

As you've admitted that you've never used the iPad, why should we think that your remarks about it make any sense? You need to use it first. It's amazing how many tech writers were saying pretty much the same thing about it BEFORE they used one. Afterwards, they reversed their opinions.

As a Linux user, you are already biased against Apple products, so that's got to be taken into consideration as well. There is a mistaken belief that Android is so open, when it's really not. Open for manufacturers and carriers, yes. For users, not so much.
post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Samsung made a third rate product, anyone surprised?

Well, yeah. they make some pretty fine products. This was done to get in the market quickly. If that isn't done, then Apple wins hands down. Other manufacturers need to be there. We'll see how the sales of this holds up, as the second months sales were 50% below the first going into the holiday shopping season.
post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Someone finally figured it out! DED can do very well reasoned articles (when he wants to, that is), but he is obviously troll baiting of later.

He can be acerbic and or polarizing with his articles and be correct as well. But he can't do it as well with Android without bending the facts, or with Microsoft as of late.
post #85 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, yeah. they make some pretty fine products. This was done to get in the market quickly. If that isn't done, then Apple wins hands down. Other manufacturers need to be there. We'll see how the sales of this holds up, as the second months sales were 50% below the first going into the holiday shopping season.

I think what makes Samsung so bad is TouchWiz on Android, making it an iOS wannabe, not so much build quality. Their monitors and ram are top notch. SAMOLED screens are great too outdoors.

Still, DED's article on his website about the ipad losing its dominance is just about right on: people want an ipad because it isn't a computer with all the complexity.

But whining about acid 3 is dumb. It's just a test, and it puts the worst case scenario to a browser. It's nice to pass, but even if you don't pass 100%, it isn't like your browser sucks either.
post #86 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he makes a point. DED isnt impartial in his writings. For instance he says the iPhone gets a perfect 100/100 [Acid3] score on the iPad while I suppose it could be argued that 100 of 100 means perfect, for the Acid3 test perfect has another meaning, that is pixel perfect rendering which WebKits iOS has not yet achieved. It cant pass the test without it, as well as completing it within a set timeframe not yet achievable on ARMs low-power HW.

Overall, Its a minor point and I dont think having a passing score versus a 100/100 score or a score in the 90s doesnt mean anything in the real world. By that same token, Googles V8 JS engine is faster than WebKits but its not enough to make any defining difference in the user experience so it all comes down to which browser (or in this case mobile OS) you prefer.


Nice chart on the sunspider benchmarks.

I guess you didn't read the part where they said that iOS made heavy use of the GPU (where Android does not) and therefore the tests are pretty much worthless as a comparison?
post #87 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

But whining about acid 3 is dumb. It's just a test, and it puts the worst case scenario to a browser. It's nice to pass, but even if you don't pass 100%, it isn't like your browser sucks either.

Except in the case of Internet Explorer, obviously. That sucks big time, especially 7 and below :P
post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

To make lots of money. They have already broken 1,000,000 unit sales.

Lots of unit "sales" does not automatically equate to "making lots of money" (i.e. profit, not revenue). You only have to look at the sales of Android handsets to see this fact. Apple has sold less smartphones than all Android device manufacturers, yet it commands a disproportionately LARGER percentage of the profit or something similar.
post #89 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The problem with these articles is Daniel Eran Dilger in previous articles has twisted the truth and written blatantly one sided articles attacking anything not by Apple so often I now automatically assume the opposite. It is like the boy who cried wolf.

Now I'm not planning on replacing my iPad with the Tab (or any of the honeycomb tablets coming next year), but if the Galaxy tab warrants a "html5 is not as good as the iPad" story, I immediately assume that overall the Tab must actually be pretty good and a legitimate competitor to the iPad or Daniel Eran Dilger wouldn't have bothered writing this piece.

And the techtard trolls jump right in.... this wan't Daniel's review but that of another independent expert you twit.
post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

iPad cant run flash, so says over lord jobs. Hey jobs maybe you can put Android on your next iPhone, maybe sales will pick up. LOL

You do realise for the longest time Apple has had DIFFICULTY MEETING DEMAND for the iPad/iPhone 4?

I think they're just about getting on top of it now. But implying that iPhone sales NEED to pick up only goes to make you look stupid.
post #91 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Then I suggest that you simply stop reading anything with Dan's byline. Then you wouldn't get your tighty-whiteys all tied in knots.

Move along, there's nothing to see here, keep moving please...

These are not the trolls that you're looking for.... Move along.... You want to go home and rethink your life...
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Nice chart on the sunspider benchmarks.

I guess you didn't read the part where they said that iOS made heavy use of the GPU (where Android does not) and therefore the tests are pretty much worthless as a comparison?

Any disadvantage iOS has will of course be mitigated as much as possible by DED.

The main reason why Android is faster is due to 2.2's enhancements, not due to hardware. In any case, a GPU isn't going to accelerate javascript anyhow. It will graphical stuff, which is what he was going on about in the article.

Of course DED isn't going to point out how the browser is faster on what most people do with it, browsing.
post #93 of 137
It seems like, as many people here have said, non-apple hardware/OS's have been pushed out half-baked... But it's always been like that. Before the iPhone, no one phone or device had any real relation to any other. Apple picked up "families" of devices that are all high quality and released at predictable times. In short, you're buying into a reliable legacy that carries over indefinitely. There just isn't anything to count on... Going with anything else is like going 2002 all over again. And that nasty off-white color that all electronics came in... BTW HTML5 is nice

~T
post #94 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFlank View Post

It seems like, as many people here have said, non-apple hardware/OS's have been pushed out half-baked... But it's always been like that. Before the iPhone, no one phone or device had any real relation to any other. Apple picked up "families" of devices that are all high quality and released at predictable times. In short, you're buying into a reliable legacy that carries over indefinitely. There just isn't anything to count on... Going with anything else is like going 2002 all over again. And that nasty off-white color that all electronics came in... BTW HTML5 is nice

~T

Apple isn't perfect either. Their iOS 4 broke the touchscreen deactivation feature when putting it up to your ear. Their macbook air needed updates for screen issues, however that was minor in comparison.

And just this moment, my dad updated his ipod touch 32GB to iOS 4.2 and it again lost all its content. F'in a.
post #95 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And the techtard trolls jump right in.... this wan't Daniel's review but that of another independent expert you twit.

Wow that guy made some kind of impression. Now whenever someone says anything that you people don't like, suddenly they're techstud

that is SERIOUSLY funny. Sorry.
post #96 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I think what makes Samsung so bad is TouchWiz on Android, making it an iOS wannabe, not so much build quality. Their monitors and ram are top notch. SAMOLED screens are great too outdoors.

Still, DED's article on his website about the ipad losing its dominance is just about right on: people want an ipad because it isn't a computer with all the complexity.

But whining about acid 3 is dumb. It's just a test, and it puts the worst case scenario to a browser. It's nice to pass, but even if you don't pass 100%, it isn't like your browser sucks either.

What we see happening is that companies making Android based products aren't just competing against Apple, RIM, Nokia, etc. They are also competing against each other. I keep saying this, but people don't seem to be listening. One reason why they've been streaming to Android is because Win Mobile has been dying for some time,, Symbian is a losing proposition, and Android, being new, and giving them a chance to differentiate themselves is they way they see it going.

Of course, if Apple licensed their OS, there would be no way Android would have gotten out of the lab. But as it is, they see each other as being threats as well. So they change the way it looks and works. They're even starting their own stores, and who knows how universal those will be? Unless Google reigns this in before it's too late, we won't be seeing Android products, but Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG products. All will be fairly incompatible with each other as will be the programs. Then Apple might emerge as number one, even if they're below 50%.

Acid tests are useful, but they don't tell the entire story. Rarely will a user notice if something isn't being rendered properly.
post #97 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What we see happening is that companies making Android based products aren't just competing against Apple, RIM, Nokia, etc. They are also competing against each other. I keep saying this, but people don't seem to be listening. One reason why they've been streaming to Android is because Win Mobile has been dying for some time,, Symbian is a losing proposition, and Android, being new, and giving them a chance to differentiate themselves is they way they see it going.

Of course, if Apple licensed their OS, there would be no way Android would have gotten out of the lab. But as it is, they see each other as being threats as well. So they change the way it looks and works. They're even starting their own stores, and who knows how universal those will be? Unless Google reigns this in before it's too late, we won't be seeing Android products, but Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG products. All will be fairly incompatible with each other as will be the programs. Then Apple might emerge as number one, even if they're below 50%.

Acid tests are useful, but they don't tell the entire story. Rarely will a user notice if something isn't being rendered properly.

Yeah, I agree. That's why we have the so called "fragmentation" issue.

Course if you want the best supported phone it would be anything Nexus from Google.

If apple licensed their OS, LG would then undercut them with an Optimus phone haha.
post #98 of 137
It's pretty strange that the ads (both flash and non-flash) don't display well on an Android Device. The OS being from Google and all...

We will see how the honeycomb tablet fares, as I think it is a better comparison to the iPad. Galaxy Tab was really a first crack and in many ways was just an oversized phone from a phone manufacturer.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #99 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

I am a linux user but I will tell you guys a couple of thing:

I tried the Galaxy and it is awsome to take to the field. Believe it or not, I would buy the Galaxy instead of the Ipad anytime.

I never played with the IPad and will never will for my current work activities. You apple fan boys need to stop whining like babies and understand that what is right for you is not right for everyone else.

Your super-duper man needs to get over himself too and assume that he makes great mistakes during it's performances on stage. There is a huge market out there, in several industries for that matter, that it's still unexplored. I see and work in some of those markets everyday and when I saw the Galaxy I saw it by the ideal size of the product. I spoke with several people around and they agreed when they tried it.

The people that I work with don't have time to go a Starbucks every week.
Most off you you apple guys are a different type of crowd and Steve has you already. For some the other people like me that does not a give a slick about what happens in your apple world, the size matters and the IPad is too big to take to the field. History will tell If Steve was wise enough and wants to keep up with his statement when he said that tablets smaller than the IPad are dead on arrival.

An Ipad is great for indoor work, I am sure, but for outdoor work apple needs to catch up with the size. Iwill give you an example: I would need a bluetooth camera for me to use the Ipad to take photos. No way I will carry that monster on a my field visits. The galaxy has the right size, fits in my big pants pocket, has a screen big enough to make notes on the photos, and hass all the other functionality of the Ipad that I need. Sure, I pad has a gazillion more apps but the android platform is catching up. then again, how many of you use a gazillion of apps? I need about 10 to 20 apps and everything else is not needed, just too kill time. Since my schedule is pretty busy, I don't have mush time to kill.

Regards.


Don't get your rant, if you don't care at all about Apple, why are you on this site, and why the very long rant concerning everything bad that is Apple (in your eyes).
You feel that Apple needs to make a device that suits YOUR needs and forget about the other consumers.
Plus, like all you androyd fan boys, you always have a dig at Steve Jones, whs is this, have you all been programmed to behave like this ?
Anyway you may de-register yourself from OUR site, yes OUR site, it belongs to people who care about Apple, this criteria definitely does not fit you.
Bye bye
post #100 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Nice chart on the sunspider benchmarks.

I guess you didn't read the part where they said that iOS made heavy use of the GPU (where Android does not) and therefore the tests are pretty much worthless as a comparison?

Actually, the tests aren't worthless. Since the iPad and iPhone were much faster than most of the other phones - even without using the GPU, they'll be even faster with it.

The only thing you can't tell is which one is faster when another phone beats the iPhone without considering the GPU. You need to know how much the GPU speeds things up to answer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Any disadvantage iOS has will of course be mitigated as much as possible by DED.

The main reason why Adroid is faster is due to 2.2's enhancements, not due to hardware. In any case, a GPU isn't going to accelerate javascript anyhow. It will graphical stuff, which is what he was going on about in the article.

Really? It has nothing to do with two cores on some of the Android phones? Or more RAM on some of the Android phones? It's all about optimization? I'd love for you to provide some evidence to back up your silly claims.

As for GPU accelerating javascript, that would depend on what a specific set of code does, wouldn't it?

I love the way you throw out all this crap as if you know what you're talking about - yet you NEVER provide a shred of evidence to back it up.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

Frash is interesting because it proves one of Jobs assertions: battery life on my ipad went from 90% to 25% in 40 minutes.

Frash also caused some stability issues, so Frash went in the Trash.

What did you expect? It came from and android build, it runs shoddy at best on the tab, and is a mediocre deployment at best.


Oh....and it's from Adobe.


Jobs did get this one right. It's funny that android platforms are advertising flash support as a selling point feature.
post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by amature geek View Post

Meanwhile flash on Apple iPad is "disappointing" vs Android Samsung Galaxy Tab

You're RIGHT!!! I miss recharging my batteries. It so disappointing because I got real good at it. There are good reason to have Flash on mobile devices. The kid won't be using the device all the time!
post #103 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? It has nothing to do with two cores on some of the Android phones? Or more RAM on some of the Android phones? It's all about optimization? I'd love for you to provide some evidence to back up your silly claims.

As for GPU accelerating javascript, that would depend on what a specific set of code does, wouldn't it?

I love the way you throw out all this crap as if you know what you're talking about - yet you NEVER provide a shred of evidence to back it up.

Oh, you again. You really do like being shot down every time.

Please, look at the chart, and look at what the Android 2.1 does vs. 2.2. It's right there for you to compare with the Nexus 1. Is that really, really hard?

Edit: Unlike you, I read REAL websites that analyze this stuff from a neutral standpoint, and know what goes on with Mozilla, IE and Chrome with their GPU acceleration.
The author of that article or web site where that chart came from is an iphone user, and may switch to a win7 phone because he finds the UI more intuitive and advanced. And yes, every other product he uses is from Apple.
post #104 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Lots of unit "sales" does not automatically equate to "making lots of money" (i.e. profit, not revenue)..

Of course. Thanks.

But I thought we were talking about their motive.
post #105 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Oh, you again. You really do like being shot down every time.

Please, look at the chart, and look at what the Android 2.1 does vs. 2.2. It's right there for you to compare with the Nexus 1. Is that really, really hard?

No, it's not hard - so I wonder why you're so confused.

The discussion was how Android phones compared to the iOS devices. Just what does Android 2.1 vs 2.2 have to do with a comparison to the iOS devices?

Logic isn't your strong suit, I guess.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #106 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, it's not hard - so I wonder why you're so confused.

The discussion was how Android phones compared to the iOS devices. Just what does Android 2.1 vs 2.2 have to do with a comparison to the iOS devices?

Logic isn't your strong suit, I guess.

Once again, every time I prove you wrong, you come back with a strawman.

Quoting myself:

Quote:
The main reason why Android is faster is due to 2.2's enhancements, not due to hardware.

Which is supported by the chart and benchmarks done by that web site.

Amazing how the same exact phone with older hardware manages to go from being midpack to the fastest by upgrading to Froyo, thus again proving you wrong about RAM, CPU or anything else.

Edit: Froyo added Google's V8 rendering engine. THAT is why it kills everyone else on speed, apple included.
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I disagree. I think Flash on the iPad is great. There is no disappointment. Zero expectations, zero surprises. I have it in mind to use other ways of watching video, i.e. HTML5 or site-specific apps like the Youtube app.

With the Tab and every other Android device so far, you may expect to get Flash capability when you buy the device, but what you end up getting is a hobbled bunch of junk that works choppily half the time and not at all the rest of the time.

iPad wins in terms of Flash. There's no distortion of the facts there. A half-assed solution that is effectively useless is not a solution at all. It's far better not to make promises you can't keep.

Do you really think that every buyer of iPad knows Flash is not supported - or that majority even knows there are different technologies built in every web site, including Flash, HTML5 etc? and I haven't really seem Apple advertising iPad doesn't support Flash - instead, they said web experience on iPad is magical.
post #108 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Do you really think that every buyer of iPad knows Flash is not supported - or that majority even knows there are different technologies built in every web site, including Flash, HTML5 etc? and I haven't really seem Apple advertising iPad doesn't support Flash - instead, they said web experience on iPad is magical.

Likely at least 50% of iPad buyers (and all computer users) do not even have a clue what flash is.
post #109 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It was actually two months. 600,000 the first, and 400,000 the second.

Still those are good numbers, considering it is first Android tablet, very expensive and one even Google is not supporting/advertising much (if at all).

I always think of that in light how Android phones were selling at their introduction, and how they are selling now. I would expect that Android tablets will, more or less, follow the same path. This time next year, Android tablets will be huge.

One thing about Apple is - with their marketing approach, even if they are attracting big number of people, they are alienating even more. And that number will go for competing product just out of defiance, even if product is not offering more for the money.

By now I have more than couple of people around me who do have iPhone (and are in general happy with it) but neither wants to have another Apple product. It is not that all of them are/will be in market for tablet, but if they are, it is not going to be Apple tablet. Figure that out.
post #110 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Do you really think that every buyer of iPad knows Flash is not supported - or that majority even knows there are different technologies built in every web site, including Flash, HTML5 etc? and I haven't really seem Apple advertising iPad doesn't support Flash - instead, they said web experience on iPad is magical.

This drives the point home even further. For those people who don't even know what Flash is or whether the iPad or the Galaxy Tab has it, a better experience will be had with the iPad. Click on a Youtube video and iPad opens the Youtube app. Works seamlessly, with no video stutter (with a fast enough internet connection). Tab users -- notsomuch.

Again -- Flash is useless when it doesn't work or works too poorly to be useful. The iPad solution is the better one until Flash performance is fixed.
post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

One thing about Apple is - with their marketing approach, even if they are attracting big number of people, they are alienating even more.

IMHO, with its business model, Google alienates even more people than Apple.
post #112 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This drives the point home even further. For those people who don't even know what Flash is or whether the iPad or the Galaxy Tab has it, a better experience will be had with the iPad. Click on a Youtube video and iPad opens the Youtube app. Works seamlessly, with no video stutter (with a fast enough internet connection). Tab users -- notsomuch.

Again -- Flash is useless when it doesn't work or works too poorly to be useful. The iPad solution is the better one until Flash performance is fixed.

Just like the iphone Android has a youtube app. Been around since day one with the T-Mobile G1.

Now if the tab uses flash period, well, that's different. I doubt the app isn't there, but that one poster can clue us in.
post #113 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


One thing about Apple is - with their marketing approach, even if they are attracting big number of people, they are alienating even more. And that number will go for competing product just out of defiance, even if product is not offering more for the money.

I think you're confusing Apple's marketing approach with pathological Apple hatred. I mean, what, exactly, does Apple do to market their stuff that would actually alienate anyone? Show people using their stuff? Play jaunty little tunes? Mention some of their products strengths?

Compare that to Android adverting that comes on like a 12 year old pumped up on Red Bull and looking for a fight with the pussy kids.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #114 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Really? It has nothing to do with two cores on some of the Android phones? Or more RAM on some of the Android phones? It's all about optimization? I'd love for you to provide some evidence to back up your silly claims.

As for GPU accelerating javascript, that would depend on what a specific set of code does, wouldn't it?

I love the way you throw out all this crap as if you know what you're talking about - yet you NEVER provide a shred of evidence to back it up.

Really, 2.2 is much faster in a number of areas than 2.1. It's also faster than the iPhone 4 in those areas, and to a lesser extent, the iPad as well.

But, as it's software it can be duplicated by others. Unfortunately, the way Apple handles this, they can't duplicate it. It was a choice by Apple, and it gives them other advantages, that for them are more important.
post #115 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Okay, so we all know Dilger is an Apple fan and not Walter Cronkite. This is a site frequented by Apple fans, right? So why freak out whenever he puts up an article which touts Apple and points out the weaknesses of the competition? I need my tech reading leavened with a little boosterism. So shoot me.

Walter Cronkite was about as far from impartial as you can get. People liked his voice and demeanor, that's why he's given credit. In the historical context (or in the rational minds of his day) at best he was often completely incorrect & totally off-base - at worst he was liar and a fraud, and certainly an intellectual coward. One part P.T. Barnum, one part Joseph Goebels. The real tragedy is that much of his reporting had been swallowed as gospel, and despite all evidence to the contrary, it continues to dumb down popular understanding of history to this day.

As far as integrity and impartiality... you'd be better off with Captain Kangeroo.
He'd probably tell you Android tablets suck too.

When are people going to realize Google is not your friend? Sorry the Windows thing didn't work out for you, but if you think Windows Jr will... then you're just an old, yellow-stained Cronkite.
post #116 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Walter Cronkite was about as far from impartial as you can get. People liked his voice and demeanor, that's why he's given credit. In the historical context (or in the rational minds of his day) at best he was often completely incorrect & totally off-base - at worst he was liar and a fraud, and certainly an intellectual coward. One part P.T. Barnum, one part Joseph Goebels. The real tragedy is that much of his reporting had been swallowed as gospel, and despite all evidence to the contrary, it continues to dumb down popular understanding of history to this day.

As far as integrity and impartiality... you'd be better off with Captain Kangeroo.
He'd probably tell you Android tablets suck too.

When are people going to realize Google is not your friend? Sorry the Windows thing didn't work out for you, but if you think Windows Jr will... then you're just an old, yellow-stained Cronkite.

Huh. Walter Cronkite, one part P.T. Barnum, one part Goebels.

Wait, did I say "Huh"? I meant, "You are utterly insane."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Still those are good numbers, considering it is first Android tablet, very expensive and one even Google is not supporting/advertising much (if at all).

I always think of that in light how Android phones were selling at their introduction, and how they are selling now. I would expect that Android tablets will, more or less, follow the same path. This time next year, Android tablets will be huge.

One thing about Apple is - with their marketing approach, even if they are attracting big number of people, they are alienating even more. And that number will go for competing product just out of defiance, even if product is not offering more for the money.

By now I have more than couple of people around me who do have iPhone (and are in general happy with it) but neither wants to have another Apple product. It is not that all of them are/will be in market for tablet, but if they are, it is not going to be Apple tablet. Figure that out.

Like many things, it's complex. I expect Android tablets to sell in total. But this isn't the first Android tablet. It's the fourth, or eighth. It's just the most well known. But where the iPad's sales went up each month, this went down significantly. That could prove a problem. They will have to figure out why. If it was bought by "Android fan/I hate Apple" buyers, then that's trouble for them.

It's also got a dual CPU chip. The iPad will get one next year. It's got two cameras. Apple will follow. Whatever the iPad,s sales will be this quarter and next, it will ratchet up with the new line.
post #118 of 137
What I'm most interested in is usability. I try to withhold my judgement from devices I haven't actually had a chance to use. I saw lots of reviews that said the Droid was an awesome phone when it came out, but first time I ever used one I thought it was a clunky piece of crap. I saw lots of reviews saying the iPhone was unusable for business, yet when I switched from my BBerry I found those reviews were all flat out lies.

Reviews are not always helpful, find a way to get your hands on a product before you buy it.
post #119 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, the tests aren't worthless. Since the iPad and iPhone were much faster than most of the other phones - even without using the GPU, they'll be even faster with it.

The only thing you can't tell is which one is faster when another phone beats the iPhone without considering the GPU. You need to know how much the GPU speeds things up to answer that.

Really? It has nothing to do with two cores on some of the Android phones? Or more RAM on some of the Android phones? It's all about optimization? I'd love for you to provide some evidence to back up your silly claims.

The only reason Android 2.2 is faster as Sunspider is because the benchmark is performed multiple times. Therefore the JIT-compiler will have a nice version of it cached for every subsequent run. Making everything but the first run, a lot faster. I believe on the less repetitive, the Javascript engine is actually slower (this is PROVEN generally by the massive error margin of Android 2.2 results), but hey can't be bothered to dig around, it's too early. That evidence enough for you?

Quote:
As for GPU accelerating javascript, that would depend on what a specific set of code does, wouldn't it?

I love the way you throw out all this crap as if you know what you're talking about - yet you NEVER provide a shred of evidence to back it up.



Is the evidence above enough for you? Ignore the red circle's of this borrowed image, the +/- percentages basically prove my point regarding the JIT-compiler

And basically, there is no guarantee that JS will be faster on Android 2.2, unless it's used a lot, and in a short space of time.
post #120 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribatejo View Post

. Since my schedule is pretty busy, I don't have mush time to kill.

Regards.

No mush time - no mush room.

You better look out for an other forum, since obviously you are not using any apple products. And taking into account, that you do not have any spare time to kill, I am seriously asking myself where did you find time to write such a useless rant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HTML5 on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab "disappointing" vs Apple iPad