or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft gearing up to reintroduce iPad competitors running Windows 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft gearing up to reintroduce iPad competitors running Windows 7 - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

As a long time Apple user (my first was an apple //c in 1985) I know this is heresy but my wish for Microsoft is that they would become a great software company. I want them to stop trying to rule the world. Like Rome, they are on the decline and they will fall. I wish they would embrace the change and make great applications for Macintosh, Windows, Chrome, iOS, Android, WebOS, and any other platform out there. I do not even want them to stop competing in the OS spaces, just make better products. They could do this by embracing how the other half lives and learn from it instead of the narrow dogmatic view that we do Windows and all must bow before us. Think how great it would be to have a great version of office on iPad, Flight Simulator on the Mac, or any real, great breakthroughs on all platforms that Microsoft could create if they let the incredible amount of talent that they employ open up and change the paradigm. Become true partners to others not their current smash and grab style. Microsoft would again grow as a company both in relevance and in revenues not to mention share price. Even someone as long on AAPL as myself might buy a few shares. Utopian I know, but my biggest beef with Microsoft now is I just see a huge waste of talent.

Brian

Sorry to disagree with you.
I want them to fail big time, and hopefully become so irrelevant that people ask "microsoft, who are they ?".
Do you have a short memory in how bad and evil they are ? I have to use their crap everyday at work, and I hate it.
My home is PC and M$ free, unlike gates, I have a legitimate reason of banning this rubbish from my home.
I suggest you google Vista and problems consumers have had with this turd, and this will change your mind about M$. Really how can you like Apple and M$, they are not just mutually exclusive, they live in separate universes.
post #42 of 77
Microsoft apparently will never get it. You don't want desktop apps on a tablet, you want tablet optimized apps on a tablet. Which is why Apple rewrote iWork for the iPad.

And Apple tried relying on HTML5 apps for iPhone - that model failed, which is why there is an app store in the first place. Apple went to the App store from the start with the iPad because they learned the right way to do things from the iPhone. Microsoft watched it all happen and didn't learn a thing.
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Apart from your poor grammar (for 4 year), how does that fact extrapolate to "that tablet PC's sold well in certain markets". What information are you privy that supports this ? Yet immediately you ask (or is it a demand) for this so called "fact" be included in the post.
I'm mighty confused by your post, it just doesn't make sense, unless you see it as a gag reflex of an Apple-hater.
I still ask the same question, and that is, why are people like you on this post, why do you bother to read Jon Gruber, knowing for well that he is pro-Apple (just like the majority here).
Do you get your kicks from annoying people ? You certainly don't annoy me (except for the terrible English you use), what the heck its a free world, but I still don't get your types.

Now to the gory details as follows:
FACT - Windows based tablets have been an abject failure
FACT - One cannot hide the deficiencies of stylist (pointy stick) based UI
FACT - PC based OS cannot work properly on tablets, the UI experience sucks big time

How can I make it any clearer to you and your kind ?
Forget about the apps and so on, just think about the UI, how will it work ?
It hasn't in the past, what magical solution has M$ found this time around ?

So taking this into account and adding apps, the eco-system, timely OS updates, a fantastic developer environment, simple synching, a beautifully designed device, the elegance and simplicity of use of the UI, how can one go past the iPad ? Hang on there I know, those that hate Apple with much vile, and simply too stupid/stubborn to reconsider.

Hello. I underlined all of your grammatical errors. Since this appears to be an issue for you (evident in the bold, italicized parts of your post), I figured you would like to know where your errors were, so you could go back and make corrections.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Since competition drives innovation...

Competition doesn't drive innovation. What drives innovation is people with a vision to build something the world has never seen or something incredibly better than the world has ever seen. Sometimes the motivation is profit, sometimes it's just a compulsion to invent, but innovation is not driven by competition. If it were, we'd never really see anything new because the first time someone makes something new, there is no competition, which contradicts the entire premise that innovation is driven by competition.
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Superb post. Thank you!
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Yes. the name will soon change from CES (Consumer electronics Show) to WinCES since MS buys into the so-called keynote every year and Ballmer turns what used to be a serious event into Open Mic night at Rooster T. Feathers.

Next stop: Guest hosting the Jay Letterman O'Brien Show.

WinCES is an appropriate name. I know it makes me wince every time I see Ballmer perform.

Perhaps he could invite Señor WinCES
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Hello. I underlined all of your grammatical errors.

Actually, you missed quite a few.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Sorry to disagree with you.
I want them to fail big time, and hopefully become so irrelevant that people ask "microsoft, who are they ?".
Do you have a short memory in how bad and evil they are ? I have to use their crap everyday at work, and I hate it.
My home is PC and M$ free, unlike gates, I have a legitimate reason of banning this rubbish from my home.
I suggest you google Vista and problems consumers have had with this turd, and this will change your mind about M$. Really how can you like Apple and M$, they are not just mutually exclusive, they live in separate universes.

another happy Apple fan and Scientologist?
post #49 of 77
To say Ballmer 'just doesn't get it' is such an understatement! He inherits the reigns from Bill Gates and simply expects everything to continue as before as if there is a freeze on technological development.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #50 of 77
"smartphone users don't want to be distracted with lots of functionality in their mobile phone"

Is that an actual quote? Did someone with a pulse in 2010 actually say that?

Sure I want my smartphone to excel at making phone calls - but the fact that someone at Microsoft thinks that a smartphone that does a lot of other things really well too is not what consumers want perhaps explains the failure of the Kin and may also speak to the potential future of the windows dumb phone 7.

There is a commercial with sky-divers where one has a windows dumb phone and can get to the camera quickly while the other struggles to get there. while it may be nice to have more physical buttons - I have seen where a multitude of external buttons just confuses people. and the other sky-diver obviously was not using an iPhone, unless he had special gloves that can operate the touch screen. so not sure who they were trying to compare too.

Still it would be nice if the iPhone had some way to get into the camera app during power on - pressing both power and home buttons at the same time for example.
post #51 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You are so right, in fact I expect a new entry in the dictionaries in a few years... "To ballmer" : To do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #52 of 77
That's all I gotta say.
post #53 of 77
I think the article should have been titled:

Microsoft desperately tries to relaunch Windows 7 tablet effort... or something to that effect. Brings a smile to my face seeing this, they are so clueless.

Windows 7 makes no sense as a tablet OS, unless you are a MS exec who knows that Windows and Office license revenue is the only way the company really makes money...the tail wagging the dog there.

Its becoming painfully clear to MS execs that tablets are going to canabalize significant parts of their future revenue (Windows licenses and Office licenses). Unfortunately for MS, the only thing they've been good at making money with, were the two products (DOS/Windows and Office) they used monopolistic practices to own the marketplace with in the PC world - which is why they were convicted monopolists.

With Google offering a free OS for tablets and Apple just running away with the market, this must be scaring MS execs to death - their business model from the PC days won't work here (or with any other platforms). If they are smart they should be working on Office for the other tablets (to capture some of that revenue), but I wouldn't bet they are that smart.

In the meantime, I'd expect the executive team at MS to keep trying to fit that square Windows 7 peg into as many round non PC platform holes as possible (even if it fails every time), cause that's the only way they know how to really make money.
post #54 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Didn't take long for the troll to respond.
No point wasting my time arguing as the troll is incapable of understanding logic, but I guess that what makes a troll a troll.

I know I was on the right track but still... wow. .

You would have to be one of the most abrasive and argumentative people around and yet you couldn't find anything to complain about?

There are compliments and then there are compliments, and that one my friend was a doozie!
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


While the large library of custom iPad apps delivers much of the allure connected to Apple's tablet, Microsoft is following Google's Chrome OS strategy of relying on HTML5 to unlock the value of partner's new devices. The report cited "a person who works at Microsoft" as saying that "the company was encouraging partners to build applications for these devices that use HTML5."

It is interesting that when companies have no solution for developers to deliver applications to exploit an OS/device -- they propose HTML 5 as the development tool.

For example:

-- Steve Jobs with the original iOS/iPhone

-- Google with Chrome OS

-- the co-Buffoons at RIM with QNX/AIR/PlayBook

-- MS with their latest Windows7/Slate
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Perhaps he could invite Señor WinCES

...eet ees a very beeg box!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

"smartphone users don't want to be distracted with lots of functionality in their mobile phone"

Is that an actual quote? Did someone with a pulse in 2010 actually say that?

Sure I want my smartphone to excel at making phone calls - but the fact that someone at Microsoft thinks that a smartphone that does a lot of other things really well too is not what consumers want perhaps explains the failure of the Kin and may also speak to the potential future of the windows dumb phone 7

I wouldn't take it as gospel until you find the actual quote. The company line was that the preference was to have functionality built into the core device and allow developer extension rather than rely on a bunch of separate 3rd party apps to supply functionality. That said I do remember something like this being said by a Microsoft employee. However I may have just read that here so it might be one of those "a Microsoft employee who refuses to be named said..." deals.

Why "Windows Dumb Phone 7"? Are you just playing on words or are you confused with the terminology? A "dumb phone" is what people generally call the phones before "feature phones" (i.e. just calls and text).

If it's just a play on words you could probably think of a better one. That one makes it sound like you're unsure of the correct terminology.
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I know I was on the right track but still... wow. .

You would have to be one of the most abrasive and argumentative people around and yet you couldn't find anything to complain about?

There are compliments and then there are compliments, and that one my friend was a doozie!

You should write sayings for fortune cookies!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is interesting that when companies have no solution for developers to deliver applications to exploit an OS/device -- they propose HTML 5 as the development tool.

I wonder if it's related to market position as well...

Without market share a company likes to stress the importance of "cross-platform compatibility". As soon as they have market share they like to point out the benefits of using the native OS to it's full potential.


The funny thing is Microsoft do have an environment for "slate" application development. Two actually. XNA and Silverlight. Both are used for WP7 and Xbox 360 soon as well. The slate could make it three from three (five from five if you include line of business web apps and WPF for Windows desktop).

It all runs on top of the CLR so the same apps could be sold on WP7, Desktop and Xbox 360 as well as both consumer ARM WP7 and business x86 W7 Embedded based slates.

I'd bet anything they won't execute this way though. I'm sure they'll find some way to stuff it up.
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Apart from your poor grammar (for 4 year), how does that fact extrapolate to "that tablet PC's sold well in certain markets". What information are you privy that supports this ? Yet immediately you ask (or is it a demand) for this so called "fact" be included in the post.
I'm mighty confused by your post, it just doesn't make sense, unless you see it as a gag reflex of an Apple-hater.
I still ask the same question, and that is, why are people like you on this post, why do you bother to read Jon Gruber, knowing for well that he is pro-Apple (just like the majority here).
Do you get your kicks from annoying people ? You certainly don't annoy me (except for the terrible English you use), what the heck its a free world, but I still don't get your types.

Now to the gory details as follows:
FACT - Windows based tablets have been an abject failure
FACT - One cannot hide the deficiencies of stylist (pointy stick) based UI
FACT - PC based OS cannot work properly on tablets, the UI experience sucks big time

How can I make it any clearer to you and your kind ?
Forget about the apps and so on, just think about the UI, how will it work ?
It hasn't in the past, what magical solution has M$ found this time around ?

So taking this into account and adding apps, the eco-system, timely OS updates, a fantastic developer environment, simple synching, a beautifully designed device, the elegance and simplicity of use of the UI, how can one go past the iPad ? Hang on there I know, those that hate Apple with much vile, and simply too stupid/stubborn to reconsider.

"for 4 yearS" is that better? Next time I will send it to you to proof read before I post.

I dont have a blog, and I dont write articles stating facts? Nor do I write articles with bias dripping off of them.

Here is my "fact"

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...al-market.aspx

When I was in the Air Force they purchased thousands of ruggedized Panasonic Tablet PC's. According to my friends still in the Air Force, they are still in use.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/to...ughbook-19.asp

My local Honda dealer uses Windows Tablets for their sales and service techs. I bring my car there and they check me in with a Windows Tablet. I pick it up outside and they check me out with same system.

Are the sales as good as the iPad? No probably not and by a wide margin. Have Windows Tablets ever been marketed towards consumers? Not that I have ever seen. Does it make them a failure? At AppleInsider it sure does.
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

If it's true that only 9000 HP slates were sold then that's pretty astoundingly bad.

I expected the HP slate to sell much better than that, but didn't expect it to rival the iPad.

MS should look at the real sales figures of the HP slate and evaluate them objectively. If it really is selling that poorly they need to quit trying to sell slates based of Win 7 and move on to developing Win 7 series mobile for a slate device. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't done this already.

Well, you have to figure that there are only so many Windows fanbois dying to run Microsoft Office on a tablet with a two-hour battery life. Windows fanbois are just too obsessed with running a desktop OS on a thin tablet. Consumers hate the idea and I don't know why Microsoft doesn't listen to them.
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I wonder if it's related to market position as well...

Without market share a company likes to stress the importance of "cross-platform compatibility". As soon as they have market share they like to point out the benefits of using the native OS to it's full potential.


The funny thing is Microsoft do have an environment for "slate" application development. Two actually. XNA and Silverlight. Both are used for WP7 and Xbox 360 soon as well. The slate could make it three from three (five from five if you include line of business web apps and WPF for Windows desktop).

It all runs on top of the CLR so the same apps could be sold on WP7, Desktop and Xbox 360 as well as both consumer ARM WP7 and business x86 W7 Embedded based slates.

I'd bet anything they won't execute this way though. I'm sure they'll find some way to stuff it up.


Ya' know... I was going to post a semi-sarcastic comment that the MS Tablet(s) would need a "proper OS" instead of Windows 7 -- the thought being that an OS should be designed for a target device and its expected use, apps, etc.

I have previously posted that I believe that MS is missing a great opportunity to make some $, while "learning the ropes" -- by not developing MS Office apps for the iPad (and later other Tablet OSes).


I was unaware of the fact that MS already had major pieces in place to deliver a robust mobile OS that could run the same apps as the desktop.

The runtime/JIT compiler/interpreter bothers me a little -- though that can be mitigated by hardware and a sophisticated runtime (pre-compile, caching, etc.).


If what you say is true, MS is surrounded by Acres Of Diamonds but doesn't see the glint of opportunity.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

Hey, Firefly (love the show!) repudiate, man. Rebut. In other words, there's something wrong with the article, point out EXACTLY what. You want to claim CE was a success? Give us evidence. But to write in and claim the article is wrong without suppling any reasons, that's just pointless.

I believe the point he was trying to make is that Windows XP embedded was a completely different product from Win CE. Trying to claim that WXPE is a rebranded WinCE is completely false.
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

What is being described here, folks, is an "exercise in futility".

Well that is good. Ballmer looks like he could use some exercise.
post #65 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

"for 4 yearS" is that better? Next time I will send it to you to proof read before I post.

I don’t have a blog, and I don’t write articles stating facts? Nor do I write articles with bias dripping off of them.

Here is my "fact"

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...al-market.aspx

When I was in the Air Force they purchased thousands of ruggedized Panasonic Tablet PC's. According to my friends still in the Air Force, they are still in use.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/to...ughbook-19.asp

My local Honda dealer uses Windows Tablets for their sales and service techs. I bring my car there and they check me in with a Windows Tablet. I pick it up outside and they check me out with same system.

Are the sales as good as the iPad? No probably not and by a wide margin. Have Windows Tablets ever been marketed towards consumers? Not that I have ever seen. Does it make them a failure? At AppleInsider it sure does.

The fact that Windows based tablets have had some limited appeal for a few markets doesn't change the fact that such tablets have not had significant sales for the 10 years or so they've been available. Not significant for Microsoft, not significant by CE standards, and particularly not significant compared to the market Apple has created.

You can try to redefine "failure" by pretending that these were specialized devices that MS didn't really intend for a larger market, but that's not the rhetoric they were using when they introduced them. In fact, Bill Gates had this to say in 2001:

Quote:
It's a PC that is virtually without limits -- and within five years I predict it will be the most popular form of PC sold in America.

So by Microsoft's ambitions their tablets were certainly a failure, compared to Apple's huge success they are certainly a failure, and from what we've seen of post iPad efforts-- the HP Slate-- they remain a failure. Not sure how much more fail you need.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Here is my "fact"

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...al-market.aspx

Which is a 2003 article that details how 72,000 units have been sold, with emphasis on vertical markets (eg health care). On a per-units-sold basis, this is a better start than HP's Slate did this year...so what has happened over the past 7 years?

BTW, Abington Memorial Hospital was mentioned as an example, but I've been unable to find any post-2003 follow-up reports in Google to determine if their MS-Tablet trial was successful (or not).


Quote:
When I was in the Air Force they purchased thousands of ruggedized Panasonic Tablet PC's. According to my friends still in the Air Force, they are still in use.

And the USAF is still flying some 1958-vintage F4 Phantoms and some 1955-vintage B52's, too...so what are you trying to actually claim? Yes, the DoD keeps old stuff hanging around...Film At 11PM of an M2 Machine Gun (1933) in Afghanistan.

Quote:
My local Honda dealer uses Windows Tablets for their sales and service techs. I bring my car there and they check me in with a Windows Tablet. I pick it up outside and they check me out with same system.

Are the sales as good as the iPad? No probably not and by a wide margin.

Considering that that the "Honda Dealership" market is limited to only around ~1250 locations, obviously not. However, automotive dealerships are a niche market, just like Medical.

Logical Fallacy: success in one niche field does not assure success elsewhere (or everywhere).

Quote:
Have Windows Tablets ever been marketed towards consumers? Not that I have ever seen.

Logical Fallacy: "Absence of Evidence is Not Evidence of Absence".

Yes, they have been so marketed, and it isn't at all hard to find specifics.

For example, MS's Steve Ballmer hyped an HP Slate at CES last January (2010).
Hint: CES = CONSUMER Electronics Show

Furthermore, the historical facts are that MS has indeed been trying to target Consumers for tablets for years. To illustrate, here's a an article from way back in 2005 .


-hh
post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

You're absolutely right, Alfie. Thanks for that analysis. The iPad sells millions, MS is rushing to put Windows on a tablet, and it's all about Google.

Better get a refund on your business school tuition.

i guess you skipped the Strategic Thinking class. From the MS perspective, Google is the mortal threat, not Apple. in less than 10 years:

- Google took over web search, which MS had hoped to dominate - now still trying with Bing.
- Google's Chrome browser is now growing rapidly and taking users from IE, which continues to shrink in market share.
- Google's package of "cloud" services are the only real competition for MS', which has big ambitions in that field and has copied many of Google's services.
- Android took over the Windows Mobile commodity smartphone market share, fueling its initial rapid growth - MS is now spending $500 million in advertising to try to get some back with WP7.
- finally, in this case, Chrome OS is positioned to take away Windows 7 commodity notebook market, and could also replace Windows 7 desktop in many enterprise situations - MS' bread and butter - where only a "thin client" workstation is needed (though as i mentioned, i doubt it will succeed).

MS does suffer from Apple Envy. the Zune is wishful thinking about competing with the iPod. but strategically MS needs to dominate its commodity software markets most of all. and Apple does not compete there. But Google has them targeted and is moving fast.

superficial "analysts" and headline writers aside, the real story is not always "all about Apple."
post #68 of 77
The most truly shocking thing about this article is the fact that the title isn't trollish as hell
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Where do you get your information? Like the HP sales, please provide links???

We are trying to get a slate at work, its on back order, and its only been for sale for something like 30 days now or less.

I know from working in the medical industry for 4 year that tablet based PC's sold well in certain markets, yet nothing mentioned in this blog post????

My prediction, no matter what Microsoft and others come out with at CES, AI will predict failure, quote some ifan idiot like Jon Gruber, and tell us why the iPad is so much better. Just save my post and use it as a blog article!!

Please tell me which hospital you work at so I can stay a million miles away!
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Please tell me which hospital you work at so I can stay a million miles away!

Many hospitals are windows centric. Every one that I've ever worked at. The fact that the Hp slate couldn't sell into that traditional MS stronghold has got to be worrisome if the 9000 units sold figure is accurate.
post #71 of 77
There are two reasons that can be construed from Microsoft continuing to push Windows 7 as a tablet OS,

1. They haven't finished their "made-for-tablet" platform yet. This is less likely, because they've had a while (and many opportunities) to replace their original failed effort for a decade.

2. Microsoft is in denial. They are still hanging on to their Windows monopoly and continue to hope that they'll just get sales automatically due to user dependence.

I believe Microsoft is willing build a new platform for media players and smart phones, because these sales don't significantly eat into Windows sales. Tablets, however, directly compete with traditional computer systems, meaning for each tablet sold, a traditional computer system will not sell, and 9 times out of 10 that's going to be a lost sale for Microsoft and one less "Windows" system in the market.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Many hospitals are windows centric. ...

Hospital warning: medical errors kill 195,000 Americans each year, says new study
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Sorry to disagree with you.
I want them to fail big time, and hopefully become so irrelevant that people ask "microsoft, who are they ?".
Do you have a short memory in how bad and evil they are ? I have to use their crap everyday at work, and I hate it.
My home is PC and M$ free, unlike gates, I have a legitimate reason of banning this rubbish from my home.
I suggest you google Vista and problems consumers have had with this turd, and this will change your mind about M$. Really how can you like Apple and M$, they are not just mutually exclusive, they live in separate universes.

I too have to suffer Microsoft at work and have to play tech support to all my friends and family who use it in my personal life. The only Microsoft product I use is Office for Mac because I need it perform work related functions at home. That was the point of my post. If a company the size of Microsoft became a force for good everybody wins. I am old enough to remember when Microsoft was a true Apple partner and made pretty good software (for the time), especially for the Apple //. If Microsoft returned to it's roots and wasn't satisfied with turning out "turds" as you call them, Apple would benefit in ways you probably can't even imagine. So would Apple users. I do not like Microsoft's products so I do not buy them. I vote with my wallet. It was the hard core Apple fans like myself that got Apple through the hard times in the nineties. During that period I convinced more than a couple people to come over to Apple or at least not abandon them. I've earned the right to hope that a powerful company like Microsoft can learn the error of their ways and become beneficial partners with Apple and others. But my apologies that I do not have the time and energy to hate an entire company but simply decide not to use their products.

Brian
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

I too have to suffer Microsoft at work and have to play tech support to all my friends and family who use it in my personal life.

Friends don't let friends use Windows.

Really, I made it clear twenty years ago that if any family members purchased a Windows box, they're on their own. Fortunately, no one ever did

As for friends I often get Windows-related questions from them. My reply is "get a Mac". They all do (eventually).

With tablet PCs, there will be the iPad, and a bunch that will attempt to look like one. Some will run Windows, some will run Android. Some will be better than others, but none will ever be an iPad.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #75 of 77
It was written 10+ years ago but is still great book on how Microsoft ended up where they are. A number of people inside knew the direction the company had to go, but were smacked down by Bill & Steve B. Find a copy of Breaking Windows by David Bank.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post


I can hardly wait for the tell all book that some employee with write one day, and his management is all laid out in can't look away cringing detail. I will read it on my ipad.
post #76 of 77
My thoughts are its not so much that there making the wrong decision using windows 7 for tablets, more like its there only choice. The windows phone 7 os would be a good platform but its still in its early days. Limited apps availiable and still things like copy and paste to add. Maybe in a year when its matured it would be good, but for now they should concentrate on making it good for a phone.

Also people please stop quoting the $500 million they spend on advertising, they don't spend that on one product. They have a huge number of products hence a huge marketing budget. Even with such a large budget you still see more Apple adverts than Microsoft ones.
post #77 of 77
can you put microsoft office 2011 mac on a ipad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft gearing up to reintroduce iPad competitors running Windows 7
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft gearing up to reintroduce iPad competitors running Windows 7